2014 Olympics Team Event Pairs Free Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Pairs Free Skate

gnom

On the Ice
The 3 top pairs were all very enjoyable. The Canadians are like a breath of fresh air. I like Stolbova/Klimov since their first SP @ Europeans in 2012 when they skated a very unique Bolero version. Definitively they are not a typical Russian style pair. To be honest I enjoy their Adam's Family routine much more than Volosozhar/Trankov's kind of uninspiring programs. Stolbova is so expressive on the ice. Like her personality.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
The 3 top pairs were all very enjoyable. The Canadians are like a breath of fresh air. I like Stolbova/Klimov since their first SP @ Europeans in 2012 when they skated a very unique Bolero version. Definitively they are not a typical Russian style pair. To be honest I enjoy their Adam's Family routine much more than Volosozhar/Trankov's kind of uninspiring programs. Stolbova is so expressive on the ice. Like her personality.

ITA! Love this team better!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The German commentator said that Savchenko/Szolkowy have changed their SP: now, they're skating to Pink Panther (that was their LP music in 2010/11)

Good grief. Everyone is panicking I guess. They should can the nutcracker and go back to Pina or something else while they are at it.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I really loved S/S's short this year. What a shame. Always thought that Pink Panther long program was hard to love.

Castelli/Shnapir is the first US pairs team I've actually enjoyed watching in over a decade. That sounds harsh, but what a mess our pairs program is. I applaud the length of their partnership and hope they continue for a few years more. If they keep improving like they are they might have a shot at a world medal in a few years.

gnom

On the Ice
Good grief. Everyone is panicking I guess. They should can the nutcracker and go back to Pina or something else while they are at it.

Hope she will not re-use the pink unitard for the Pink Panther routine.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
The German commentator said that Savchenko/Szolkowy have changed their SP: now, they're skating to Pink Panther (that was their LP music in 2010/11)

Whaaaat? Ugh, what reason did they have to do that? I loved their SP music this year. :bang: If they think that's going to help them pull off gold, they're deluded.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I personally love pink panther so I'm happy. :p
Either way, V/T are killing it with their short so I don't think it'll matter that much...

bobbob

Medalist
I am absolutely enraged at the scoring yet again. ***! How did S/K get a 135.09 for that? Their program was choppy, and their skating skills were undeniably worse than M-T/M. Not to mention their mistake on the sbs, low twist, etc. I feel like the judges are trying to set up a premise to get them a bronze, which is ridiculous because every aspect of their skating is clearly worse than P/T, who are the favorites for the bronze. In Vancouver 2010, the Canadians were not as overscored as the russians are here.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Thoughts on the pairs:

Kudos to the Russians for skating up to the pressure.
I love this Canadian team (she knows how to EMOTE), but I'd have really liked to see them challenge the Russians here with a TOTALLY solid performance.
Italians. Have to say their opening combo was the most impressive moment of this entire event for me. Crossing my fingers she isn't seriously hurt.

Other thoughts:
I love Savchenko & Szolkowy, but I feel like they've been setting themselves up for failure all year. Trying huge skills they can't land consistently, then dropping out of the Europeans too soon, and now switching short programs. Sigh. I so wish they had just attacked this season like any other one and gone into it trying to skate consistent great programs. The Russians (at least Maxim) are more than capable of beating themselves, but not if you don't go into the event feeling confident & prepared with your own routines.

Still cheering for Pang & Tong. I think more than anything, I would LOVE to see them wrap up their career here with two clean, great skates. Just have so much respect for them staying in & fighting through so many generations of skaters. I think they are the only top skaters left from the Vancouver Worlds in 2003, and I remember being in total shock seeing them for the first time & realizing that the second team from China flew just as far in the 3tw and throws as Shen & Zhao.

emma

Record Breaker
^I'm rooting for Pang/Tong too! The S/S news has me confused - why change the SP, and why now?

I enjoyed the pairs today - but really hope the Italian woman is ok, she looked to be in a lot of pain. IN many ways, I have hated what COP has done to pairs - like we just don't even expect unison in side by side spins, and I noticed how quiet the comentators got with each one; but, we had some very lovely skating today, some beautiful throws and lifts, and some great jumping - and yes, some mistakes. But overall, I felt 'jazzed' by the event. Looking forward to more!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I am absolutely enraged at the scoring yet again. ***! How did S/K get a 135.09 for that? Their program was choppy, and their skating skills were undeniably worse than M-T/M. Not to mention their mistake on the sbs, low twist, etc. I feel like the judges are trying to set up a premise to get them a bronze, which is ridiculous because every aspect of their skating is clearly worse than P/T, who are the favorites for the bronze. In Vancouver 2010, the Canadians were not as overscored as the russians are here.

coming from the Canadian horses mouth

Dube/Davison score at Vancouver were absurd
not to mention Rochette's bronze
V/M gold medal performance score was inflated

so before you even make such non sense accusations
why dont you look at MT/M performance first
to be fair they deserve 7s in PCS compared to the atrocious pairs D/R who deserve PCS in 6's
so in all MT/M are the better Canadian Pair

Looking through the protocols and a few things stood out:

Stolbova/Klimov got 5 +2s and 3 +1s for a twist where she collapsed on him. They did save it well and maintained flow and balance but still...

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch got 8 +1s for a side-by-side combination spin which was off-synch at the start and where she travelled a lot after the change of foot.

Castelli/Shnapir got 4 +2s for a two-footed 3twist with a slightly heavy catch.

Takahashi/Kihara once again got very generous GOE and PCS given the lack of quality of pretty much everything they did. This is an example of a program and performance where it would be perfectly justified to give PCS in the 2.00-4.00 range. They just skated from one element ....... into another ......... and another ...... very ..... very ..... cautiously. :bang:

(Yes, I know it's early days for them and they will surely improve. But when I recall how amazing Takahashi/Tran used to be, I want to weep.)

Stolbova/Klimov's program had an unusual element layout and was full of transitions, all of which were in character of the music. Their postures and lines aren't great but then neither are M-T/M's. I thought S/K actually seemed quite fast tonight and their flow was decent enough. I would definitely give M-T/M the speed but I think that S/K's program was better in all other aspects.

bobbob

Medalist
coming from the Canadian horses mouth

Dube/Davison score at Vancouver were absurd
not to mention Rochette's bronze
V/M gold medal performance score was inflated

so before you even make such non sense accusations
why dont you look at MT/M performance first
to be fair they deserve 7s in PCS compared to the atrocious pairs D/R who deserve PCS in 6's
so in all MT/M are the better Canadian Pair

Ok I don't deny that Dube/Davidson were overscored in Vancouver. V/M may or may not have been a little overscored. If Rochette didn't get the bronze , who do you think should have? Mirai?

MT/M peformance was better than S/K's thats all I can say. MT/M and D/R are both strong teams, im not going to argue who is the better one. What I can say are that both teams are better overall than S/K or B/L.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Ok I don't deny that Dube/Davidson were overscored in Vancouver. V/M may or may not have been a little overscored. If Rochette didn't get the bronze , who do you think should have? Mirai?

MT/M peformance was better than S/K's thats all I can say. MT/M and D/R are both strong teams, im not going to argue who is the better one. What I can say are that both teams are better overall than S/K or B/L.

poor Rochette mourning after the loss of her mother and a couple of home ground inflation she won bronze
Rochette's bronze was nothing but a sympathy bronze
Dube / Davison scores where the shame of the Pairs in Vancouver !!

you need a replay if you think MT/M deserve to win the LP here over S/K :rofl:
MT/M may be better if they did deliver but they didn't either , and no D/R are one of the most deplorable Pairs to date
even B/L are better than tehem

bobbob

Medalist
Instead of Rochette, who do you think deserved the bronze medal?

S/K got +2's on a crashy twist and +2/+3's on throws with not much height. They also got a BoDs3 when all the other pairs got a BoDsB. Personally, I didn't see anything in their death spiral that warranted three levels higher than everyone else. I feel like they were overscored by a few tenths on each element. Not to mention their unusually high PCS. (68.something)

elif

Medalist

S/K got +2's on a crashy twist and +2/+3's on throws with not much height. They also got a BoDs3 when all the other pairs got a BoDsB. Personally, I didn't see anything in their death spiral that warranted three levels higher than everyone else. I feel like they were overscored by a few tenths on each element. Not to mention their unusually high PCS. (68.something)

They got almost same PCS at the Europeans, where they finished ahead of Volosozhar/Trankov in free.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

what ? S/K have been climbing their PCS since Skate America
clearly someone didnt watch

and who are Moore-Towers/Mokovitch anyways ?
they are non World medalists and are almost the same rank a Stolbova/Klimov
the differnce S/K have better programs this season and better transitions
Moore-Towers fake smile doesnt count for PCS to increase either

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Moore-Towers deserve at best 7s in PCS but should not get higher PCS than Berton / Hotarek
Peng / Zhang must score higher PCS than Duhamel / Radford whose PCS needs to stay in low 6's

bobbob

Medalist
I think the scoring at Skate America was about right M-T/M pcs 67.14 S/K pcs 61.69. Since then, the judges have been continually trying to raise S/K 's pcs for the olympics so that russia could place 1-3.