Team Event podium is largely set before mens, ladies and dance finals | Golden Skate

Team Event podium is largely set before mens, ladies and dance finals

marcolee925

Rinkside
Although the team event men's free, ladies' free and free dance are yet to take place, the podium are very much set.

Results link: http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/TEC001RS.HTM

Currently US is in bronze position and ahead of Japan by 4 points. As Japan will most likely place last in dance and US 1st (meaning US will lead Japan by another 4 points from dance), therefore unless Japan takes 4 points from US in both men and ladies (Japan 1st and US last in both disciplines), US will beat Japan. And I have a very hard time seeing either Abbott or Brown losing out to Parkingson who came last in the short, so I think US is about 95% safe from Japan overtaking (5% being the unlikely event of all of these 3 things happening: V&M beating D&W in the free dance tomorrow; both Asada and Machida winning the free; AND Gold/ Wagner coming last in the free).

As for US vs Italy, US currently leads by 3 points but will most likely lead by another 3 from dance. That's 6 points. Barring disasters, Brown / Abbott will beat Parkinson by at least 1 spot, so that's 7 points in total which is mathematically impossible for Kostner / Marchei to catch up even if one of them wins the free and Wagner / Gold comes last. Even V&M beating D&W in the free dance will not change this result. So US will beat Italy.

Crux: Provided D&W wins the free dance OR Parkingson comes last as expected, US' bronze medal in the team event is safe. I think it's time to sub in Gold and Brown to maximise the number of skaters medaling.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think the team event has turned out to be, on one level, rather lacking in suspense. The only real suspense has been in (a) speculating which skaters will compete, and (b) which of China, France, and Italy would make the final. I was not at all surprised that it was Italy, with China not fielding its best pair and lady, and the French federation being spazzy in general all season.

I suppose speculating how Plushenko would perform briefly provided a little suspense, as well.

It seems to me that the free program part of the team competition just reinforces what happened in the short programs. Russia's lead over Canada will widen, Canada's lead over the USA will widen, the American lead over Japan will widen, the Japanese lead over Italy will widen. There will be no movement. Yawn. Next event, please.

marcolee925

Rinkside
US overtaking Canada for silver isn't likely. Canada currently leads US by 7; even if D&W beats V&M tomorrow and US catches up 1 point, US still needs to catch up on 6 points in the singles. This implies both the US lady and US man must at least beat the Canadian lady and Canadian man by 3 places each. Probably less than 5% chance happening.

Russia is leading Canada by 6. Again, even if V&M (or W&P) beat the Russian dance team by 1 spot for 1 point, both the Canadian lady and man must at least beat the Russian lady and Russian man by an average of 3 places each. I can't see Osmond placing that high and Lipnitskaya placing that low.

So Russia's gold and Canada's silver are secured too.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
yeah this turned out to be the most anti climactic thing ever

especially considering most of the skaters seem to be treating this like some kind of dress rehearsal for their "real" event

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
It was pretty obvious that unless it was painfully close the team event would be decided on day 2. There is way more room to gain points in the short program than in the long program, which just makes no sense.

If the team event sticks around I'd like to see a few tweaks to make the short program less important. I could see them have eight teams, not cut any team after the short and give double points for the long. That way we might see some movement after the short.

Ven

Match Penalty
Yeah pretty much over now. Japan needed Mao to win if they wanted a shot at Bronze. Now JSF should probably put all of their power behind Akiko, and just let Asada or Murakami skate out the Team Event.

elif

Medalist
No pressure for Ilinykh/Katsalapov. They can't skate that badly to lose a spot.

elif

Medalist
USA has excellent skater like Gracie Gold who has clean 3Z+3T and very good spins. I will never understand Wagner choice. Wagner's combo is a problem and her spins are not that good.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Synchronized skating would have made a much better choice for an additional skating event. Maybe one day...

bobbob

Medalist
Ummm......the team event was over even before the short program started. It was quite obvious Russia was going to win because all of their skaters would be massively overscored.

elif

Medalist
Ummm......the team event was over even before the short program started. It was quite obvious Russia was going to win because all of their skaters would be massively overscored.

Because russians are skating very clean. Do you really think Canada deserving this?:laugh:

bellafurr

On the Ice
The russians are winning because their skaters are doing an excellent job. They be be overscored a bit but the placements are right