johnny weir article | Golden Skate

johnny weir article

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Great article!

He must get "in trouble" all the time, but I personally find his candor refreshing. I hope he can continue to harness his natural talents and strong sense of individuality, and give us all great skating to watch in the years to come.

DG

soogar

Record Breaker
It makes you kind of wonder about that boy when you read that article. "Icicle on coke?" When I heard him describe his costume like that I was thinking small c as well and I was wondering why he would even use that terminology. I hope that he isn't going to be another cokehead/wildchild like Christopher Bowman. I think he needs a little structure in his life.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Sooger..

I sure hope Johnny isn't mixed up with dangerous substances. I don't know and being a positive sort, assume he was joking. I'm glad my offhand and off kilter remarks aren't scrutinized by the media. As an example, sometimes things are said in my work environment along the lines of "management must have been smoking crack when they made THAT decision." LOL I hope everyone who has ever heard me make that remark doesn't think I do, or ever have, or ever will smoke crack.

So I hope such is the case with Johnny, and I won't even speculate about his off-ice activities that I know nothing about.

DG

soogar

Record Breaker
It seemed like the media was scrutinizing his odd comment in Phil's article. He might be really imaginative or maybe he runs with a wild crowd.

I'm more concerned about (the way the article puts it) laissez faire approach to skating. Chris Bowman had talent to spare and had the same approach and he never realized his potential. Johnny has oodles of talent to spare but if he doesn't get that work ethic he's going to be left in the dust.

With all the freedom he has and now with the influx of money he's going to have with his success at Nationals, his parents and coach are going to have to make sure that he doesn't fall into the wrong crowd or else he might end up having similar problems like Oksana or horrible problems like Christopher Bowman.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
My impression...

...from the article is that Johnny admitted to a lapse in both judgement and focused training and got the results you get with that in 2002/2003. My impression is that he pulled together his focus and training with better results for 2004. Maybe I read that wrong. Hopefully he will stay focused and take advantage of all that talent!

All of this sure requires a ton of maturity for a teenager. I admire all these young men and women who work so hard and walk away from the lifestyles, for better or worse, of others their age.

DG

mpal2

Final Flight
That's the same impression I got Doggygirl. Johnny and the commentators have said several times since Nationals that 2003 was embarrassing. He didn't not want a repeat performance and I think has changed the attitude and practice habits to prevent that from happening again.

I love the more disciplined "wild child" that he is now and I got a good laugh from Phil's article. I agree with Johnny's mom; I hope no one tries to prevent Johnny from enjoying his years as a teenager. Isn't that when you get to do harmless stupid things (i.e. blue hair :laugh: ) and enjoy them?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL Mpal!

I enjoyed Johnny's Mom's comments as well. When you think about it, we'll ALL "enjoy" blue hair at some point if we live long enough, so why not have some FUN with blue hair while you're young enough to "really enjoy" it?

DG

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bronxgirl, thanks for the article. I hope Johnny does well at Worlds.

Dee