Team Event Too Much? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Team Event Too Much?

dcnative

On the Ice
I think that if the team competition is supposed to enhance the "team competition" experience, it should be after the individual events when the team is more relaxed, and the contributions of the entire team can really be appreciated.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I enjoyed the Team Event, but the blatant propping up of some skaters and holding back of other skaters made it very anti-climactic.

The medals were set after the men's with Russia having 57, Canada having 50, and US having 41, Japan having 38 and Italy with 37.

For bronze: Italy stood little chance of bronze with Marchei and their ice dance team. The US would gain at least 3, if not 4 points on Japan in ice dance which would be a discrepancy of 6 or 7, obviously insurmountable even if Akiko won ladies and Gold was last.

For silver: Even if Osmond and V/M were last and Gold and D/W were first, Canada would have won silver.

For gold: Canada would have had to be first in ladies and ice dance, and Russia would have had to be last in both ladies and ice dance for Russia to come last. Obviously I/K would place 3rd ahead of the Italian and Japanese teams (as we saw by the scores). If Plushenko was placed behind Reynolds and Machida, and in the ladies SP Lipnitskaia was 2nd and Osmond was 4th (which I thought it should have been), then Russia would have only been ahead of Canada by 5 points going into the men's and ahead of Canada by only 2 points coming out of men's. Clearly Lipnitskaia deserved to win ladies and Osmond last (or 4th), which would have clinched Russia's team gold, but at least there would have been a bit more suspense instead of everything wrapped up before the freeskates were done.

dardar1126

On the Ice
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...0/team-figure-skating-needs-to-be-eliminated/

Team figure skating needs to be eliminated
By Robert Samuels February 10, 2014, 7:46 AM

I love figure skating. But this team figure skating event was a glorious waste of time.

The event was introduced to the Olympics this year, presumably as a way to grab more viewers and give athletes another chance to win a medal. Over time, its presence might encourage countries to build stronger skating programs across all disciplines to increase medal hopes. All noble reasons in theory, but there have been some problems with it in practice.

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
I hope they keep it - yes, tweak it, but keep it for many of the reasons already mentioned.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I would want the team event to be AFTER the individual events.
It does increase the risk of injury, and may make judging less fair in the individual events for people who showed up in the team event, in a good or bad way.

For some countries, they simply prefer not to send their best to the team event to ensure the performance in the individual event. It will less likely to happen if the team events are scheduled later, so everyone can fully participate.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I love the team event. What I find odd is why some of these skaters with 0% chance of getting a medal are making comments like it's a warmup to their individual event. (Jeremy and Jason both said something like this). I wonder if they are listening to too many positive thinking audiobooks or something.:laugh:

amateur

Final Flight
Because like any competitor, they still want to deliver their absolute best in the individual event, and let the chips fall where they may.. It's not all about medals. (and even at that, their chances at a medal, while seemingly rather small, are not 0%)

Now, thanks to the team event, Jeremy Abbott is an Olympic medallist and that's something I am sure we can all agree is a wonderful and positive thing, right guys? Right?

/troll :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hah I don't know what's weirder, that Abbott is a bronze medalist or that Osmond is a silver medalist over Rochette or I/K is a gold medalist over D/W for the time being:

Icey

Record Breaker
I hope it won't survive this Olympics. By the way, are that many people watching the Olympics on tv?

RobinA

On the Ice
I think the team idea could work with some changes that would serious it up and make it seem less like fluff. The scoring must get real (Pluschenko?) and they have to get rid of all those kiss & cries with flag waving teammates. Also, put it after tha main events. The way it is now, certain skaters, depending on where they're from, get a "practice" under lights and in front of a crowd that other skaters don't get. If I'm Yuna, I might have a problem with this.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am just curious that all team russia got personal best some point and none of the others did..except kostner
Castelli and Shnapir got personal bests in both segments. Davis and White got a personal best in the LP. Peng & Zhang got one in the SP. Gracie got a PB in the LP. There probably were others, too, but those are the ones I remember.

and they have to get rid of all those kiss & cries with flag waving teammates.

That's the best thing about the team event, grandpa! It's supposed to be about team spirit, camaraderie and all that crap.

The biggest problem with figure skating is that it tries so hard to be 'distinguished' that it alienates casual viewers and becomes very stale and yawn-inducing in the process.

We need people screaming, going mental, waving flags - showing some Dionysian hysteria. That's what sport is supposed to be about!

What needs to happen is each skater who sits there stone-faced and blase, should get clubbed over the head with a big cane by Sissy Krick.

Or you could also reward proper attitude. Team Germany should have got a bonus on the PE for the cowbell. :biggrin:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That's the best thing about the team event, grandpa! It's supposed to be about team spirit, camaraderie and all that crap.

The biggest problem with figure skating is that it tries so hard to be 'distinguished' that it alienates casual viewers and becomes very stale and yawn-inducing in the process.

We need people screaming, going mental, waving flags - showing some Dionysian hysteria. That's what sport is supposed to be about!

What needs to happen is each skater who sits there stone-faced and blase, should get clubbed over the head with a big cane by Sissy Krick.

Or you could also reward proper attitude. Team Germany should have got a bonus on the PE for the cowbell. :biggrin:

And wasn't it nice of Paul Bunyan's Babe to lend it to them for the Olympics? :) Man, they must have BIG cows in Deutschland!

RobinA

On the Ice

Isn't that what we have pro sports for? Can't us people who like THE ACTUAL SPORT have SOMETHING?

I can see it now, tailgating at Nationals, drunken fans, maybe we can even wear face paint the color of our favorite skater's costume. Then we can start beating to death fans of skaters we don't like. That's what they do in my town if someone shows up with an opposing team jersey.

will74lsn

Rinkside
I liked the team event. Just found the schedule a little strange with the short programs followed by the pairs free program. I would do it over 2 days only and with fewer teams ( e.g. 8 teams for the short programs and the best 4-6 for the free programs). I also didn't find the point system for the free program quite "right". I would have given 10, 8, 6, 4 and 2 points so that chances for changes in the standing had been more likely. With the point system used in Sochi the results of the the short programs weighted more than the results of the free programs.

Isn't that what we have pro sports for? Can't us people who like THE ACTUAL SPORT have SOMETHING?

I can see it now, tailgating at Nationals, drunken fans, maybe we can even wear face paint the color of our favorite skater's costume. Then we can start beating to death fans of skaters we don't like. That's what they do in my town if someone shows up with an opposing team jersey.

Ahh that's one thing I forgot about! Maotas and Yuna fans clubbing themselves to death with plush toys in the stands. Imagine the drama!

On a more serious note, all the amateur sports which attract big crowds have this kind of atmosphere. I look at them and I am jealous.

Partly because it means money and media interest. Partly because when I am in the audience myself, I am waving banners and screaming like a maniac and I don't want people to look at me funny. :p

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I enjoyed the team event FAR more than I thought I would. It was great seeing the skaters rooting for each other, and I enjoyed it up to the end even after the placements were already solidified.

However, I must admit as a skating fan this is just a hair too much skating for me for two weeks. I find I'm wishing I did not have to pay the opportunity cost of watching this much skating over the course of that many days. When there was only the regular non-team competition, there was usually a day between each skating event throughout the entire Olympics.

This month, I didn't follow the Yukon Quest or the Westminster Dog Show like I usually do -- I'd already spent enough hours online and in front of the TV watching sports. Last night, I didn't watch the men's on TV. And I may just wait and youtube in upcoming weeks a few key performances from the dance and ladies. I can't believe I'm considering this, but I am.

Am I the only fan overexposed? Or is more better for most people? Very interested in hearing people's thoughts.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I enjoyed the team event FAR more than I thought I would. It was great seeing the skaters rooting for each other, and I enjoyed it up to the end even after the placements were already solidified. However, I must admit as a skating fan this is just a hair too much skating for me for two weeks. I find I'm wishing I did not have to pay the opportunity cost of watching this much skating over the course of that many days. When there was only the regular non-team competition, there was usually a day between each skating event throughout the entire Olympics. This month, I didn't follow the Yukon Quest or the Westminster Dog Show like I usually do -- I'd already spent enough hours online and in front of the TV watching sports. Last night, I didn't watch the men's on TV. And I may just wait and youtube in upcoming weeks a few key performances from the dance and ladies. I can't believe I'm considering this, but I am. Am I the only fan overexposed? Or is more better for most people? Very interested in hearing people's thoughts.

My husband claims that he has been overexposed and wants the TV back:)