Team Event Too Much? | Golden Skate

Team Event Too Much?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am not sure I am that keen on the team event. I think it is too much extra pressure on the skaters and chances of injury are great before their individual events. I wonder if it is worth it. Anyone else feel this way?

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
i don't think skaters are taking it that seriously. they're not taking their mistakes or losses too roughly and if they blow it a little, most fans/commentators are saying, "welll......as long as they get their nerves out before the individual." the skaters and media are treating this as a glorified dress rehearsal and it shows

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have a hard time buying the argument. This would suggest that figure skating is the OMG MOST DIFFICULT SPORT EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD to suggest they can't do more than two events in a single competition. Especially when a lot of them are only doing one extra event. Nevermind skiiers, snowboarders, speedskaters, etc are all able to compete in multiple strenuous pressure filled events.

Skating needs to get over itself. Or stop crying "we're a sport".

Not trying to be overly harsh, but really it just seems like we're crying over a hangnail (which yes, hurt, but you get over it).

emma

Record Breaker
Well, I don't want to appear belligerent as I have aired my feelings on this event more than once. But, I will say, I love it! I love seeing more skating. I'm not really seeing the 'not taking it seriously' vibe. Sure, some skaters are saying this is prep for their individual events, but that just affirms what I have already said in other threads: this should be after, not before.

Meanwhile, and again as I have said elsewhere, I have fielded more calls and texts from 4-year fair weather (olympic only) skating fans today about this event. They are totally into it. Some were confused and thought 'this is it', but when I told them the individual events were still to come, they were stoked. Others were like, I don't remember seeing this much skating before, and who is so and so....I can't see how this is anything but good for skating.

Although I can't resist saying: it should be the 'redemption song'....

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a hard time buying the argument. This would suggest that figure skating is the OMG MOST DIFFICULT SPORT EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD to suggest they can't do more than two events in a single competition. Especially when a lot of them are only doing one extra event. Nevermind skiiers, snowboarders, speedskaters, etc are all able to compete in multiple strenuous pressure filled events.

Not trying to be overly harsh, but really it just seems like we're crying over a hangnail (which yes, hurt, but you get over it).

There's my girl! You tell 'em!

I am having a wonderful time watching the team event and reading everyone's posts on it.

I'm not seeing any of the skaters snivel and cry. Yes, most countries are sharing duties.. but at least two competitors from each are skating both programs.

It's fun and exciting... so far with surprises and heartbreaks... rowdy and raucus... just like any good sporting event should be. Dear Lord, I didn't realize so many fans of our sport had such delicate, Victorian sensibilities about the athletes. Horrors! Some of these skaters will have to DOUBLE their time competing... all the way from 7 minutes in a week to nearly 14 minutes! The exhaustion will kill them!

When people see the Russian team on top of the podium, and they hear the crowd go wild... it will have an impact. The team event is here to stay.

louisa05

Final Flight

I don't think that anyone is claiming it is the most difficult sport ever. This is simply a new thing for skaters. The other athletes you mention do that at competitions regularly, skaters do not. There is a rhythm and routine to competing and this changes it. It is not whining or complaining or having "Victorian sensibilities" to understand that this is something the athletes and coaches have to adjust to. Castelli and Schnapir, as an example, are essentially doing two full competitions in less than a week. That is not something they, or any skaters, are used to dealing with and how they mentally and physically prepare is different because of it.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hear you, Louisa, but Castelli and Schnapir will be Olympic medalists in less than 24 hours, most likely. So will Kevin Reynolds (he is skating tomorrow, isn't he?), and Jason Brown, and both excellent Canadian pairs, and Katlyn Osmond, and all the Russians (they can't ALL win individual medals), heck, even Jeremy Abbott.

Most likely, they wouldn't be otherwise. I think they'll adjust to that.

If this new event is as successful as it appears it will be, I won't be surprised to see the ISU add it to the World Championships.

louisa05

Final Flight
I hear you, Louisa, but Castelli and Schnapir will be Olympic medalists in less than 24 hours, most likely. So will Kevin Reynolds (he is skating tomorrow, isn't he?), and Jason Brown, and both excellent Canadian pairs, and Katlyn Osmond, and all the Russians (they can't ALL win individual medals), heck, even Jeremy Abbott.

Most likely, they wouldn't be otherwise. I think they'll adjust to that.

If this new event is as successful as it appears it will be, I won't be surprised to see the ISU add it to the World Championships.

The stands aren't full. That is going to be a consideration for both the ISU and IOC before they proceed. I also don't see it being added to Worlds as is since Worlds is usually a short event and a team event like this would require a lot of extra time and money. Additionally, there would not be any way to have adequate time between events for any of the skaters if it were added to Worlds, other than keeping them there for much longer...which is more cost for federations.

I don't think that the skaters are objecting to the event and definitely not the medals when they recognize that this is new and different and changes their competition routine. There are fans objecting to the medals, though. You can read it here at this board.

This.

It's more exposure for skating and more opportunities for skaters to medal so it's good for the sport and I can't understand how anyone can whine about it.

The only thing I wish was different was 6 teams making the final and not 5 so that there's more competition excitement until the end.

The stands aren't full. That is going to be a consideration for both the ISU and IOC before they proceed.

That's a Sochi problem and not the Team Event problem.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
at one point there wasn't more than one or two downhill events, too... sport changes and evolves. Those that don't get left behind and die. The Team Event has caught people's attention. If the elitist fans can't get on board with it - and that's what it sounds like with the whole "we don't need it. it's just a way to get more medals" talk I've read by fans the last few days - then the fandom will just have to change too.

And, yes, it does sound like we're saying skating's the most difficult ever. We complain when competitions happen in back to back weeks. Now we're complaining that they have to skate 3-4 programs in an olympics as opposed to two. Either we're saying the sport is SO difficult that it shouldn't be done or we're saying skating/skaters are so wimpy that they can't do it. Either way, skating doesn't look good with fans whining about something that really all other sports deal with.

It's not like the skaters didn't know the set up, they've been doing something similar with the world team trophy for a few years now.

Bring it on. The more the merrier.

Oreo

On the Ice
I think the team event is good in that some countries which are strong in men's and women's (Japan for example) will put more resources in developing their dance and pairs teams.

RABID

Final Flight

It is a new event and even though people want to do well in it maybe deep down inside they just don't give it that much weight... yet. Maybe that will take time. We all know the team event in gymnastics is very important to the gymnasts and skating keeps getting compared to it but I have this feeling that as long as it is exclusive to just the Olympics that isn't going to happen.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think the team event is good in that some countries which are strong in men's and women's (Japan for example) will put more resources in developing their dance and pairs teams.

there's that too. federations and skaters are being rewarded for a well rounded program. I just don't see what's bad about it! embrace it!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It is a new event and even though people want to do well in it maybe deep down inside they just don't give it that much weight... yet. Maybe that will take time. We all know the team event in gymnastics is very important to the gymnasts and skating keeps getting compared to it but I have this feeling that as long as it is exclusive to just the Olympics that isn't going to happen.

I am not saying the skaters are whining. I'm saying that the fans that are, are not helping the sport.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

Actually, if you did watch the pair event today the Italian female skater had a nasty fall part way through their program and did look in some pain as she was helped off the ice by her partner. Both Kurt Browning and Carole Lane (Canadian Figure Skating Coach/Choreographer) commented that taking part in the team event first was a concern of some of the skaters going into the Games. Skaters are always running the risk of injury even during practice, let's face it. Figure skaters are tough competitors.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Then they should be able to handle an extra event or two. They supposedly do double run throughs in practice...

How many hockey games are played at the olympics per team? I know I know we fans like to say our sport is *so* much better, but really it's not from a SPORT aspect.

They're athletes, they can handle it. She could have just as easily hurt herself in the individual. Pretty sure we saw that a few years ago in the ice dance event.

That's what I am looking forward to the most. Since the team event has been announced there have been news of Japanese and Korean Federations working on those programs and the Finnish Fed hired Margaglio who got the program off the ground really quickly and they now have three decent ID teams.

jjdoe

Spectator
I was horrified at the thought. It seemed more in line with the 'skate and singer' crap that has replaced competitive skating on TV. But I'm enjoying it, and I get to see more skating. I mostly ignore the points... So I hope they keep it.
One thing I don't care for are the stony-faced teams when the competition is on the ice. I understand medals are involved, but at this point, it doesn't seem like a meaningful event yet. Would it really hurt for the teams to show some support, and at least applaud at the end of each skate? They seem like pouting children, and are on TV, as the camera pans by.
Dare I say - it looks Putin-ish!

bekalc

Record Breaker
Actually, if you did watch the pair event today the Italian female skater had a nasty fall part way through their program and did look in some pain as she was helped off the ice by her partner. Both Kurt Browning and Carole Lane (Canadian Figure Skating Coach/Choreographer) commented that taking part in the team event first was a concern of some of the skaters going into the Games. Skaters are always running the risk of injury even during practice, let's face it. Figure skaters are tough competitors.

But its a chance at another Olympic medal. Its not some little bitty thing. I think the skaters do care too. And as for two much pressure-they are Olympic athletes, I think its actually a good experience in the lead up to the Olympic event.

Not to mention if Russia holds on- V/T can go into the event as already Olympic Champs, I suspect that's going to actually be a somewhat pretty big burden lifted.

I think it is meaningful to them the look on Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold's face when they saw that fall says its meaningful. I think for S/K it was meaningful their opportunity for an Olympic Gold medal. Juila looked nervous too.

I do think though that they should make some changes to make the long worth more.

Russia has already clinched a freaking medal. What I'd like to see some changes. For example no 6 points for the fifth place team. But rather 2 points, 4 points for the 4th place team. And/or maybe even douzble the amount of points they get so the long means something.

That way no team can build to much of a lead.