Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Team Event Too Much?

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I have a hard time buying the argument. This would suggest that figure skating is the OMG MOST DIFFICULT SPORT EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD to suggest they can't do more than two events in a single competition. Especially when a lot of them are only doing one extra event. Nevermind skiiers, snowboarders, speedskaters, etc are all able to compete in multiple strenuous pressure filled events.

Skating needs to get over itself. Or stop crying "we're a sport".

Not trying to be overly harsh, but really it just seems like we're crying over a hangnail (which yes, hurt, but you get over it).
    Actually, if you did watch the pair event today the Italian female skater had a nasty fall part way through their program and did look in some pain as she was helped off the ice by her partner. Both Kurt Browning and Carole Lane (Canadian Figure Skating Coach/Choreographer) commented that taking part in the team event first was a concern of some of the skaters going into the Games. Skaters are always running the risk of injury even during practice, let's face it. Figure skaters are tough competitors.

Then they should be able to handle an extra event or two. They supposedly do double run throughs in practice...

How many hockey games are played at the olympics per team? I know I know we fans like to say our sport is *so* much better, but really it's not from a SPORT aspect.

They're athletes, they can handle it. She could have just as easily hurt herself in the individual. Pretty sure we saw that a few years ago in the ice dance event.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    I think the team event is good in that some countries which are strong in men's and women's (Japan for example) will put more resources in developing their dance and pairs teams.
    That's what I am looking forward to the most. Since the team event has been announced there have been news of Japanese and Korean Federations working on those programs and the Finnish Fed hired Margaglio who got the program off the ground really quickly and they now have three decent ID teams.

Rinkside
    I was horrified at the thought. It seemed more in line with the 'skate and singer' crap that has replaced competitive skating on TV. But I'm enjoying it, and I get to see more skating. I mostly ignore the points... So I hope they keep it.
    One thing I don't care for are the stony-faced teams when the competition is on the ice. I understand medals are involved, but at this point, it doesn't seem like a meaningful event yet. Would it really hurt for the teams to show some support, and at least applaud at the end of each skate? They seem like pouting children, and are on TV, as the camera pans by.
    Dare I say - it looks Putin-ish!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Actually, if you did watch the pair event today the Italian female skater had a nasty fall part way through their program and did look in some pain as she was helped off the ice by her partner. Both Kurt Browning and Carole Lane (Canadian Figure Skating Coach/Choreographer) commented that taking part in the team event first was a concern of some of the skaters going into the Games. Skaters are always running the risk of injury even during practice, let's face it. Figure skaters are tough competitors.
    But its a chance at another Olympic medal. Its not some little bitty thing. I think the skaters do care too. And as for two much pressure-they are Olympic athletes, I think its actually a good experience in the lead up to the Olympic event.

Not to mention if Russia holds on- V/T can go into the event as already Olympic Champs, I suspect that's going to actually be a somewhat pretty big burden lifted.

I think it is meaningful to them the look on Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold's face when they saw that fall says its meaningful. I think for S/K it was meaningful their opportunity for an Olympic Gold medal. Juila looked nervous too.

I do think though that they should make some changes to make the long worth more.

Russia has already clinched a freaking medal. What I'd like to see some changes. For example no 6 points for the fifth place team. But rather 2 points, 4 points for the 4th place team. And/or maybe even douzble the amount of points they get so the long means something.

That way no team can build to much of a lead.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjdoe View Post
    I was horrified at the thought. It seemed more in line with the 'skate and singer' crap that has replaced competitive skating on TV. But I'm enjoying it, and I get to see more skating. I mostly ignore the points... So I hope they keep it.
    One thing I don't care for are the stony-faced teams when the competition is on the ice. I understand medals are involved, but at this point, it doesn't seem like a meaningful event yet. Would it really hurt for the teams to show some support, and at least applaud at the end of each skate? They seem like pouting children, and are on TV, as the camera pans by.
    Dare I say - it looks Putin-ish!
    I agree!

But we also got this gem:
    Mishin, Morozov, Zhulin, Plushenko and Avdish cheering for V/T

I see teams applauding. Russia is going crazy applauding. Ksensia even did a little happy dance.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    i don't think skaters are taking it that seriously. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    It is a new event and even though people want to do well in it maybe deep down inside they just don't give it that much weight... yet. ...
    To avoid fatigue before the team skating segments, a number of skaters (including first-time Olympians, such as Ashley Wagner) forfeited marching in the opening ceremony -- a once- or twice-in-a-lifetime dream experience for skaters. I'd say that they are taking the team event seriously.

ETA, I should have said a dream experience that happens only once/twice/thrice or four times (how could I forget Plushenko ?) in a skater's lifetime, but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    To avoid fatigue before the team skating segments, a number of skaters (including first-time Olympians, such as Ashley Wagner) forfeited marching in the opening ceremony -- a once- or twice-in-a-lifetime dream experience for skaters. I'd say that they are taking the team event seriously.
    I know and every big athlete except for the Chinese and German pairs did at least one event, if they thought they even had an outside chance at a medal. But it just means nothing. Yes I think its new that its difficult to get into that mindset. But its an Olympic medal! As both Kwan, Tara and Johnny said.

Custom Title
    The team event definitely needs some improvements. For example, change the marks in the LP to 10-8-6-4-2 instead of 10-9-8-7-6 (the way it is now, the SP means MUCH MORE than the LP, which makes no sense), and free the federations to use WHICHEVER skaters they want, no matter if they skate in the single events or not.

If these things are fixed, the team event is a great idea.

On the Ice
    I am enjoying the team event. It's interesting because there is less pressure so we should see more risk-taking. But with some skaters who crack under pressure (e.g. Ashley Wagner) we are seeing clean performances because of the pressure to do well for the team.

Like with COP, it will take a few years to adapt and strategize for it, but in the next Olympics some nations will have their strategy for it down.

at one point there wasn't more than one or two downhill events, too... sport changes and evolves. Those that don't get left behind and die. The Team Event has caught people's attention. If the elitist fans can't get on board with it - and that's what it sounds like with the whole "we don't need it. it's just a way to get more medals" talk I've read by fans the last few days - then the fandom will just have to change too.
    Yes, because the opportunity to get more medals is just TERRIBLE.
    The one gripe I have with the team event so far is that the podium is a bit predictable. Then again, it's the same in gymnastics - everyone expected the 2012 Women's Olympic podium to be three of: USA, Russia, Romania and China, but that didn't make the competition any less exciting to watch.

Bring it on. The more the merrier.

I'm glad that more athletes get the chance to have the Olympic experience (see Matthew Parr of GB, who only competed in this event).

Custom Title
    I am not saying the skaters are whining. I'm saying that the fans that are, are not helping the sport.
    I think we over estimate our own importance.

And the once every four years fans actually have no idea what's going on. At our neighborhood breakfast place this morning, the woman at the next table was holding up the sports page with a pic of Julia on it and explaining to her husband and daughter that she had won the silver medal last night and beat YuNa Kim. She also did a quad.

The worst part of that story was that she claimed she watched it and that is the information she walked away from her television with.

Custom Title
    I am just curious that all team russia got personal best some point and none of the others did..except kostner

I ended up enjoying the team event very much. I hope it remains in the Olympics.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast