Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Team Event Too Much?

Medalist
    I'd like to see the team event be after the individual events, much like relays usually come after the individual races. It would remove the chance of injury or fatigue affecting individual chances and provide a shot at redemption for skaters who have disappointing individual results.

Plus the kind of lighter atmosphere of it seems more fitting as a closing out the Olympics sort of thing. I'd like to see it stay, but I think the format needs tweaking. The long program rounds are rather anti-climatic with the current format, since there isn't much room for placements to change. I think it either needs to be weighted higher or they should just add scores together or something.

The judging needs to be addressed as well, though whether that's unique to the team event or will carry into individuals remains to be seen.

Custom Title
    The format definitively needs to be tweaked to avoid the gold medal essentially being decided on the first day, but having a team event is definitively a good thing. There was a lot of good skating over the event, including some unexpected gems - Reynolds, Kostner, Pluschenko (yes, I had written him off) - heck, even Parr gave a good performance. The team kiss and cry is a ton of fun. It also gave the chance for casual fans from 10 countries to get to know their entire figure skating team.

I think the long term effects will be positive: its something casual fans can get into, it offers the best possible preview of the individual events, it will give an incentive to national federations to develop skaters in all four events and it more than doubles the number of medals handed out to figure skaters, which might mean some skaters stick around longer since they won't necessarily need to be top 3 in their event to get a medal at the Olympics.

Overall I like it a lot but the format really needs to be revised.

On the Ice
    Thoughts on making the event better if it continues:

I agree it should be held last. This eliminates almost all my major concerns. It would ensure that skaters without teams aren't left at a disadvantage in the individual events to those who do skate with teams. It would ensure that inflated scores during the team event wouldn't impact later individual events. (Sometimes inflated scores are a natural outcome of any event with fewer athletes. Scores also tend to have a momentum in a team event.) It would ensure that the pairs skaters aren't forced to leap into their individual events more quickly than athletes from the other disciplines. It would also encourage teams like China & Germany whose best athletes are medal-worthy pairs teams to compete their top athletes in the team competition. And THIS would help ensure that the best teams in the world actually make the final and stand on the podium. It would also help smaller countries, like Italy, who have a smaller pool of really top-notch athletes use those athletes in both programs without concerns of fatigue. I do think fatigue is a real issue, especially for athletes who deal with perennial injuries like P&T. When Worlds included a qualifying round, there were always some skaters who flat-out had a rougher time breathing during the second long program.

Also the two-discipline substitution rule is just silly.

And, yes, I think this event could contribute to a more balanced focus on all four disciplines within different countries. Crossing my fingers.

Rinkside
    That woman just sounds stupid and the rest of her life probably reflects that, haha.

Custom Title
    I enjoyed the Team Event. And I would think it would be a big plus for the skaters who were competing. They get a feel for the ice and the rink. They get to put there program out there to be judged in an Olympic setting. Should also be a big plus in taking the edge off of the nerves. I bet all the skaters found it to be a positive experience.

Down With It
    I love the team event concept. It's great! Only thing is that I think the freeskate should count for more so there is greater opportunity to move up and down the standings until the very end. In this case, by the time the ladies' FS concluded the medals were a done deal and the ice dance final was only a formality.

Because of the team event, I'm watching more of the Winter Olympics than I otherwise would have. Also it got me watching/invested in the other disciplines(!) which I otherwise don't care about. I was watching the men's final this morning for crying out loud

Now I'm back on hiatus until the ladies' event next week.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yuki View Post
    The one gripe I have with the team event so far is that the podium is a bit predictable.
    This is one thing I don't like. There are only three countries who can field a team of world class athletes in four events. Furthermore, the order was predictable. There was a big stink over Jeremy's performance but he needed to WIN the short program to make any difference in the final result, and skating early he could not have beaten what Chan, Plushenko, or Hanyu put out there. A few disaster performances from the US wouldn't have dropped them to 4th either.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8's View Post
    I enjoyed the Team Event. And I would think it would be a big plus for the skaters who were competing. They get a feel for the ice and the rink. They get to put there program out there to be judged in an Olympic setting. Should also be a big plus in taking the edge off of the nerves. I bet all the skaters found it to be a positive experience.
    If indeed it was a beneficial thing, I find it unfortunate that, for example, every one of the top contending Ice Dance teams got an opportunity to do such a test skate on the Olympic ice except Weaver/Poje. Is that fair?
    Of course others like Kim and Fernandez without teams miss out on this chance too, (and I'm not referring to any top skaters who had their own say in not participating), But W/P doubly miss out in a sense, because they would have been perfectly capable of contributing to and sharing in the team medal win - even if it were a tight race, W/P would have easily held ground, losing at most 1 point from what V/M gained - had the format allowed them to step in for V/M, who, for all we know, might have appreciated the break and weren't "needed" twice in any sense other than to satisfy an arbitrary rule.

One can hope that this doesn't matter to them. Or maybe it was clear all along that they were never going to skate (not even as any sort of Plan B), that the team priority was always to give both pairs and Kevin Reynolds a chance no matter what (which makes perfect sense given factors such as the timing of the individual events, and Reynolds' lack of opportunity to compete this year) and so put it out of their minds. That is surely what all the non-participants do anyway.

In any proper team event (soccer, hockey, whatever), don't those on the bench, who are ready to play if needed, also get medals?
    Not to say that such a medal for a "bencher" in this case would be felt as very meaningful, and not to say that this is any sort of proper team event. It is a contrived event that is really quite silly, even if it is enjoyable on some level.
    I did find it enjoyable to watch nonetheless because of the good skating, its spotlighting of a few lesser-knowns I might not have watched otherwise, and its "main event preview" quality.

Rinkside
    I liked to watch the team event. I think it should be after the individual competitions.

But it will always be for the big skating countries. USA, Canada and Russia will always be in the top 5 and maybe Japan, too. So very few countries can really fight for the medals. Some countries do not have even one pair in pair skating, even tradition in pair skating at all.

Team spirit is great.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    The Team Event will not be after individual competitions as long as IOC's biggest clients want it first.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    This is one thing I don't like. There are only three countries who can field a team of world class athletes in four events.
    The other countries better get to work on their Ice Dance and Pairs programs then.

On the Ice
    I think that if the team competition is supposed to enhance the "team competition" experience, it should be after the individual events when the team is more relaxed, and the contributions of the entire team can really be appreciated.

Custom Title
    I enjoyed the Team Event, but the blatant propping up of some skaters and holding back of other skaters made it very anti-climactic.

The medals were set after the men's with Russia having 57, Canada having 50, and US having 41, Japan having 38 and Italy with 37.

For bronze: Italy stood little chance of bronze with Marchei and their ice dance team. The US would gain at least 3, if not 4 points on Japan in ice dance which would be a discrepancy of 6 or 7, obviously insurmountable even if Akiko won ladies and Gold was last.

For silver: Even if Osmond and V/M were last and Gold and D/W were first, Canada would have won silver.

For gold: Canada would have had to be first in ladies and ice dance, and Russia would have had to be last in both ladies and ice dance for Russia to come last. Obviously I/K would place 3rd ahead of the Italian and Japanese teams (as we saw by the scores). If Plushenko was placed behind Reynolds and Machida, and in the ladies SP Lipnitskaia was 2nd and Osmond was 4th (which I thought it should have been), then Russia would have only been ahead of Canada by 5 points going into the men's and ahead of Canada by only 2 points coming out of men's. Clearly Lipnitskaia deserved to win ladies and Osmond last (or 4th), which would have clinched Russia's team gold, but at least there would have been a bit more suspense instead of everything wrapped up before the freeskates were done.

Custom Title
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/o...be-eliminated/

Team figure skating needs to be eliminated
    By Robert Samuels February 10, 2014, 7:46 AM

I love figure skating. But this team figure skating event was a glorious waste of time.

The event was introduced to the Olympics this year, presumably as a way to grab more viewers and give athletes another chance to win a medal. Over time, its presence might encourage countries to build stronger skating programs across all disciplines to increase medal hopes. All noble reasons in theory, but there have been some problems with it in practice.

Rinkside
    I hope they keep it - yes, tweak it, but keep it for many of the reasons already mentioned.

Custom Title
    I would want the team event to be AFTER the individual events.
    It does increase the risk of injury, and may make judging less fair in the individual events for people who showed up in the team event, in a good or bad way.

For some countries, they simply prefer not to send their best to the team event to ensure the performance in the individual event. It will less likely to happen if the team events are scheduled later, so everyone can fully participate.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast