Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Team Event Too Much?

Custom Title
    I love the team event. What I find odd is why some of these skaters with 0% chance of getting a medal are making comments like it's a warmup to their individual event. (Jeremy and Jason both said something like this). I wonder if they are listening to too many positive thinking audiobooks or something.

Custom Title
    Because like any competitor, they still want to deliver their absolute best in the individual event, and let the chips fall where they may.. It's not all about medals. (and even at that, their chances at a medal, while seemingly rather small, are not 0%)

Medalist
    I enjoyed the competition.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Now, thanks to the team event, Jeremy Abbott is an Olympic medallist and that's something I am sure we can all agree is a wonderful and positive thing, right guys? Right?

/troll

Custom Title
    Hah I don't know what's weirder, that Abbott is a bronze medalist or that Osmond is a silver medalist over Rochette or I/K is a gold medalist over D/W for the time being:

Custom Title
    I hope it won't survive this Olympics. By the way, are that many people watching the Olympics on tv?

Custom Title
    I think the team idea could work with some changes that would serious it up and make it seem less like fluff. The scoring must get real (Pluschenko?) and they have to get rid of all those kiss & cries with flag waving teammates. Also, put it after tha main events. The way it is now, certain skaters, depending on where they're from, get a "practice" under lights and in front of a crowd that other skaters don't get. If I'm Yuna, I might have a problem with this.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
    I am just curious that all team russia got personal best some point and none of the others did..except kostner
    Castelli and Shnapir got personal bests in both segments. Davis and White got a personal best in the LP. Peng & Zhang got one in the SP. Gracie got a PB in the LP. There probably were others, too, but those are the ones I remember.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    and they have to get rid of all those kiss & cries with flag waving teammates.
    That's the best thing about the team event, grandpa! It's supposed to be about team spirit, camaraderie and all that crap.

The biggest problem with figure skating is that it tries so hard to be 'distinguished' that it alienates casual viewers and becomes very stale and yawn-inducing in the process.

We need people screaming, going mental, waving flags - showing some Dionysian hysteria. That's what sport is supposed to be about!

What needs to happen is each skater who sits there stone-faced and blase, should get clubbed over the head with a big cane by Sissy Krick.

Or you could also reward proper attitude. Team Germany should have got a bonus on the PE for the cowbell.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    That's the best thing about the team event, grandpa! It's supposed to be about team spirit, camaraderie and all that crap.

The biggest problem with figure skating is that it tries so hard to be 'distinguished' that it alienates casual viewers and becomes very stale and yawn-inducing in the process.

We need people screaming, going mental, waving flags - showing some Dionysian hysteria. That's what sport is supposed to be about!

What needs to happen is each skater who sits there stone-faced and blase, should get clubbed over the head with a big cane by Sissy Krick.

Or you could also reward proper attitude. Team Germany should have got a bonus on the PE for the cowbell.

And wasn't it nice of Paul Bunyan's Babe to lend it to them for the Olympics? Man, they must have BIG cows in Deutschland!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Isn't that what we have pro sports for? Can't us people who like THE ACTUAL SPORT have SOMETHING?

I can see it now, tailgating at Nationals, drunken fans, maybe we can even wear face paint the color of our favorite skater's costume. Then we can start beating to death fans of skaters we don't like. That's what they do in my town if someone shows up with an opposing team jersey.

On the Ice
    I liked the team event. Just found the schedule a little strange with the short programs followed by the pairs free program. I would do it over 2 days only and with fewer teams ( e.g. 8 teams for the short programs and the best 4-6 for the free programs). I also didn't find the point system for the free program quite "right". I would have given 10, 8, 6, 4 and 2 points so that chances for changes in the standing had been more likely. With the point system used in Sochi the results of the the short programs weighted more than the results of the free programs.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    Isn't that what we have pro sports for? Can't us people who like THE ACTUAL SPORT have SOMETHING?

I can see it now, tailgating at Nationals, drunken fans, maybe we can even wear face paint the color of our favorite skater's costume. Then we can start beating to death fans of skaters we don't like. That's what they do in my town if someone shows up with an opposing team jersey.
    Ahh that's one thing I forgot about! Maotas and Yunabots clubbing themselves to death with plush toys in the stands. Imagine the drama!

On a more serious note, all the amateur sports which attract big crowds have this kind of atmosphere. I look at them and I am jealous.

Partly because it means money and media interest. Partly because when I am in the audience myself, I am waving banners and screaming like a maniac and I don't want people to look at me funny.

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    I enjoyed the team event FAR more than I thought I would. It was great seeing the skaters rooting for each other, and I enjoyed it up to the end even after the placements were already solidified.

However, I must admit as a skating fan this is just a hair too much skating for me for two weeks. I find I'm wishing I did not have to pay the opportunity cost of watching this much skating over the course of that many days. When there was only the regular non-team competition, there was usually a day between each skating event throughout the entire Olympics.

This month, I didn't follow the Yukon Quest or the Westminster Dog Show like I usually do -- I'd already spent enough hours online and in front of the TV watching sports. Last night, I didn't watch the men's on TV. And I may just wait and youtube in upcoming weeks a few key performances from the dance and ladies. I can't believe I'm considering this, but I am.

Am I the only fan overexposed? Or is more better for most people? Very interested in hearing people's thoughts.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    I enjoyed the team event FAR more than I thought I would. It was great seeing the skaters rooting for each other, and I enjoyed it up to the end even after the placements were already solidified. However, I must admit as a skating fan this is just a hair too much skating for me for two weeks. I find I'm wishing I did not have to pay the opportunity cost of watching this much skating over the course of that many days. When there was only the regular non-team competition, there was usually a day between each skating event throughout the entire Olympics. This month, I didn't follow the Yukon Quest or the Westminster Dog Show like I usually do -- I'd already spent enough hours online and in front of the TV watching sports. Last night, I didn't watch the men's on TV. And I may just wait and youtube in upcoming weeks a few key performances from the dance and ladies. I can't believe I'm considering this, but I am. Am I the only fan overexposed? Or is more better for most people? Very interested in hearing people's thoughts.
    My husband claims that he has been overexposed and wants the TV back

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast