Team Event Too Much? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Team Event Too Much?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can see it now, tailgating at Nationals, drunken fans, maybe we can even wear face paint the color of our favorite skater's costume. Then we can start beating to death fans of skaters we don't like. That's what they do in my town if someone shows up with an opposing team jersey.

We can only hope! I wouldn't want anyone to actually die, but it would be fun to gang up on fans of skaters who perform to Carmen.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
That's funny and understandable, I guess, MK's Winter!

Okay, now I find that all I needed was today without a comp and I am ready and rarin' to go again! Bring on the ice dance!

Antilopa

On the Ice
We can only hope! I wouldn't want anyone to actually die, but it would be fun to gang up on fans of skaters who perform to Carmen.
and fight with first - which black swan is more black and more swan. it would be great for fs popularity

usethis2

Medalist
More medals and more performances are fine, but the thing is this event just doesn't look like a "team" effort. Skating being individual sport, with very different sub-disciplines, it's not like hockey or 400m relay where actual cooperation among team mates are required or strategies come into play. It just feels weird to call it a competition between teams. If anything, it seems like individual players take it as an additional practice opportunity for their individual leagues. (or the opposite, depending on the individual skaters) Perhaps the perception may change in time, but as of now it feels like some decorative event rather than a true competition.

Antilopa

On the Ice
More medals and more performances are fine, but the thing is this event just doesn't look like a "team" effort. Skating being individual sport, with very different sub-disciplines, it's not like hockey or 400m relay where actual cooperation among team mates are required or strategies come into play. It just feels weird to call it a competition between teams. If anything, it seems like individual players take it as an additional practice opportunity for their individual leagues. (or the opposite, depending on the individual skaters) Perhaps the perception may change in time, but as of now it feels like some decorative event rather than a true competition.
have you ever seen team competitions in gymnastics, fencing or smth else? pure adrenalin!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Not to mention, that in the US, quite a few colleges have gymnastics teams, and in some states, they are televised. If team skating can be popularized by the ISU, perhaps there will be more opportunities for skaters here in U.S. both as college coaches and as team members.

I hope the event catches on.

Scott512

Record Breaker
The team event works fine in gymnastics and it should work well in figure skating too. Alhtough the team event and the hype around her took something out of Yulia Lipnitskaia that's for sure. But I say keep it in the olympics. Maybe worlds too.

juppiter

Rinkside
The team event works fine in gymnastics and it should work well in figure skating too. Alhtough the team event and the hype around her took something out of Yulia Lipnitskaia that's for sure. But I say keep it in the olympics. Maybe worlds too.

After Yulia and Evgeni, I can see skaters not wanting to skate in the team event unless it's their only hope for a medal. Could be an interesting dynamic if the the team event becomes the venue for the second tier skaters. Ashley Wagner, Gracie Gold, Jeremy Abbott, Jason Brown, and Shnapir/Castelli all would not have medals without it. Maybe the U.S. had the right strategy.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Team event ROCKED. Please keep it! There may be room for improvements in order for there to be greater suspense and make the competition a bit tighter, but I just think this year that Team Russia would not be denied, and they deserved that gold.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Good point Juppiter. No doubt the team effort and training hurt Yulia and Evgeni for their individual compeitions. But a deep team like Russia should be able to split up the duties a little bit more in future Olympics. I mean if gymnasts can do the team and individual events at Olympics why can't figure skaters? it seem harder for figure skaters though than it is for gymnasts to pull off.

heyang

Record Breaker
Late to comment.....

Personally, I felt oversaturated with the team event. In some ways, it reminded of the old pro competiton Ice Wars - Russia vs US vs Canada. For the Olympics, I was in HK on business - so, I wasn't sure of the schedule. I didn't necessarily enjoy watching the skaters perform the same routine twice - once for team and once for individual.

If it's going to be a team competition, they should have a routine that's performed by everyone - a group# that highlights the best of each competitor. Since there may be multiple people on ice, they'd probably have to setup special judging panels - 1 to judge the man, 1 for the woman, 1 for pair and 1 for dance and accumulate all the points.

I guess I just wanted to see something different.

Keep in mind that people did get tired of watching the same skaters perform the same routines at all the myriad pro events. By having a group routine, it's a team composition and gives the viewer something different to watch.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm not so sure on a group routine, sounds like a logistical nightmare to me. Training would definitely be an issue.

Generally speaking I liked the team event, having some athletes in the USA treat it as a "warm up" or perhaps I should say using that as an excuse for subpar performances was a huge turn off.

If the team event followed the individual events perhaps it would be less of an issue.