Asada and Kostner in class by themselves | Golden Skate

Asada and Kostner in class by themselves

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I find them stunning. Julia is still juniorish, sorry. Gumby or not Mao was lovely. Wish she would forget the axel. Caro was like a religious experience. No one touches her elegance, Yuna not even close. Caro has best legs, lines, extentions. Such a jewel, like a Balachine dancer.

Also, Carolina and Mao were helped by their music. I don't know why all skaters don't choose great music to skate to. The music can get the audience of your side before you even take a step.

emma

Record Breaker
This is something that seems so obvious, but...so many skaters pick music that just doesn't work, or leaves you flat.

Not to "beat a dead horse" (a phrase that confounds me, as who would ever do that?), but, for example, Ashley's Romeo and Juliet had great choreo, IMO, but the music was really, really hard for me to "feel", and apparently, she as well. I love beyond words V/M, but struggled to like their funny face music (although appreciated the concept a lot), and don't really love their current LP music, and just want to say, why?? Can't you tell the story of your life together with epic music?

For all the amazing Shen/zhao LP's, I found their 2010 music, blah, and can't even remember what it was now. (also, was it 2006 when they skated to some Kitaro music that was a soundtrack to a movie? regardless of the year, their choices of cuts were just strange, to me). And, I could go on.

I don't know music the way some of the posters here do, but MM's post begs the question: is it that hard to find something epic for the Olympic year, you know, to get the audience on your side from note one?

Ven

Match Penalty
Carolina should have been ahead of Julia. The overscoring has gotten to disgusting levels now.

Julia clearly deserved to beat Asada. She fell on the 3A, you just can't do that and beat solid skaters at the Olympics.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
well, Lori Nichols knows her music. So does Sandra Bezic, and Marina Zueva does very well. I think after Mahler, nothing Voir will ever skate to will be as good. It is crazy beautiful, gripping, emotional music. Julia's coach or choreo did well by her. I think the more music you know, the easier to find what fits your skater or team. I like Prince but the music for the SP for Jason is Meh. Jason can make anything work, he performs the heck out of the music. No one goes wrong with Riverdance. It is tough to keep up, and I think that Bourne/Kraatz deserved the gold for their interpretation in Nagano. Jason does very well, and for a showman like him, it is just wonderful. I hope the Russians get behind him to egg him on to greatness once more like at Nationals.

Sometimes, it is the skater. Ashley feels "sexy and edgey" and while I might have wished for different SP music, she feels that is "her."

I liked her LPs and former SPs more than this. But I am not a huge Pink Floyd fan.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Carolina should have been ahead of Julia. The overscoring has gotten to disgusting levels now.

Julia clearly deserved to beat Asada. She fell on the 3A, you just can't do that and beat solid skaters at the Olympics.

ITA re caro, but there is about a hundred points difference for me in PCS from Mao to Julia. The 3axel is such a mistake, but everything she does even with a fall is so beautiful. They judges are really overscoring certain skaters. Schnapir is Russian by birth. How did they get a personal best with two mistakes? I love them but really. The scoring of Julia was out of the park. Just wait for the LP. She is going to take the gold if she goes clean. The Russians will be happy to give the silver to a clean Yuna. It feels like the results are already known.