Asada's mishap hurts Japan's medal hopes | Golden Skate

Asada's mishap hurts Japan's medal hopes

Ven

Match Penalty
Yeah it was a shame, Japan's chances at Bronze are pretty much gone now. Mao really needed to win the SP.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's shame that Japan's Pair team is awful and their Dance is weak. Mao can not be blamed for TEAM Japan losing the medal.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
WHATEVER

maybe if pairs and dance could inject one iota of quality into their programs, mao wouldn't have to carry the burden of their crappy skating

gourry

Final Flight
Yeah with their dance and pair, team Japan didn't really have any shot at medal to begin with. Even if Mao had won ladies SP, I don't see team Japan could medal overall.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I feel the triple axel is both Asada's greatest strength and weakness. She relies too much on it. Thank goodness she took one out of her FS, though the 8-triple program is pretty crazy.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
I feel the triple axel is both Asada's greatest strength and weakness. She relies too much on it. Thank goodness she took one out of her FS, though the 8-triple program is pretty crazy.

did she? people have been saying she's landed the 3a perfectly in practices over and over. i really hope this isn't her conceding defeat, she needs to fight for her progrgam because it's a winner if she skates clean. it's a shame the japanese media is giving her such a hard time over it, she really doesn't need this cloud on her head going into the individual.

in other news, where does goldenskate house its servers, in the heated butthole of satan? jeez

pitterpatter

On the Ice
I feel this article was a little harsh by pinning it on her, it kind of makes it sound like it's Mao's fault that Japan is out of the hunt when the team was a long shot to begin with :rolleye: Hopefully the Japanese-language media is taking on a different tone.

jjdoe

Spectator
How do I watch the team skate? I watch the skaters, and pay little attention to the scores. I hope the judges score fairly, but we all do our own scoring, in our heads. That's the only score I really care about. If one person drags down the whole 'team', so be it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think Japan not winning a medal in the team event was or will be all mao's fault. Really even if she was first the problem is the dance and pairs teams really can't compete. In order for them to win bronze they needed team USA to have a couple of blunders like Jeremy so had Wagner fallen and placed sixth or seventh and the pairs from the STates lost another position an d Canada beat the US in dance those kind of things would be more helpful and realistic. It didn't . In the last three events the worst scenario for the Us and hten it wold be a fluke 4th, 5th and 2nd and Japan's best would be two firsts and 5th. In short, they couldn't do it even if you added 2 or 4 more points. They just didn't have the ammunition.

elif

Medalist
This is not Mao's fault Japan lost bronze hopes. They don't have decent pairs and ice dance teams.

Ven

Match Penalty
It's shame that Japan's Pair team is awful and their Dance is weak. Mao can not be blamed for TEAM Japan losing the medal.

Just to be clear, I agree with you. It's certainly not all on Mao's shoulders.

I was just saying that it was a shame, because the ONLY chance they had would be to dominate the individual events. Whatever outside chance they had at bronze is now gone.

Krislite

Medalist
They should have had Kanako skate in the Team SP instead, where going clean would have scored better than Mao's SP. Mao was too big to risk this. She hardly needed to get her confidence shaken at the team event by falling hard on her 3Axel.

Becki

Medalist

ITA! Japan's Pair team is laughable - no offence, I admire the efforts of both Takahashi and Kihara BUT they are just not world class/elite level just yet. Their dance team is better and more competitive, but still not good enough.

And even if Kanako skated the SP, I doubt she would've placed higher than 3rd. She would need a score of 70+, and give her technical content and PCS, I doubt that was going to happen.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
They can't blame Asada. Japan didn't have chances to win the bronze medal. I'm sorry to say this, because they were the cutest team (if only this was a criteria).
If Japan had won a team medal, it would have been Yuzuru and Mao's achievement. If it hadn't win, there is nothing to say. They can blame the pairs and the ice dance skaters. Maybe Mao will take revenge at the individual event.

yuki

Final Flight
They should have had Kanako skate in the Team SP instead, where going clean would have scored better than Mao's SP. Mao was too big to risk this. She hardly needed to get her confidence shaken at the team event by falling hard on her 3Axel.

They went with highest scoring potential. A clean Mao could have won the SP (it's arguable, seeing how her PCS is barely above Yulia's :slink:) and they needed to take that risk in order to offset their weaknesses in pairs and dance.

ITA! Japan's Pair team is laughable - no offence, I admire the efforts of both Takahashi and Kihara BUT they are just not world class/elite level just yet. Their dance team is better and more competitive, but still not good enough.

And even if Kanako skated the SP, I doubt she would've placed higher than 3rd. She would need a score of 70+, and give her technical content and PCS, I doubt that was going to happen.

I think it's a bit harsh to call them laughable - under the circumstances (Kihara being new to pairs, Takahashi's continuing problems with jumps), they made a decent effort. They were placeholders anyway in the team event - show up, skate, with a bit of luck not finish last (in the SP at least), which is exactly what happened.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

And? A clean Kanako would not beat a clean Carolina and Julia. The result would have been the same at BEST. Much worse at worst.