Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Asada's mishap hurts Japan's medal hopes

They should have had Kanako skate in the Team SP instead, where going clean would have scored better than Mao's SP. Mao was too big to risk this. She hardly needed to get her confidence shaken at the team event by falling hard on her 3Axel.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    It's shame that Japan's Pair team is awful and their Dance is weak. Mao can not be blamed for TEAM Japan losing the medal.
    ITA! Japan's Pair team is laughable - no offence, I admire the efforts of both Takahashi and Kihara BUT they are just not world class/elite level just yet. Their dance team is better and more competitive, but still not good enough.

And even if Kanako skated the SP, I doubt she would've placed higher than 3rd. She would need a score of 70+, and give her technical content and PCS, I doubt that was going to happen.

They can't blame Asada. Japan didn't have chances to win the bronze medal. I'm sorry to say this, because they were the cutest team (if only this was a criteria).
    If Japan had won a team medal, it would have been Yuzuru and Mao's achievement. If it hadn't win, there is nothing to say. They can blame the pairs and the ice dance skaters. Maybe Mao will take revenge at the individual event.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    They should have had Kanako skate in the Team SP instead, where going clean would have scored better than Mao's SP. Mao was too big to risk this. She hardly needed to get her confidence shaken at the team event by falling hard on her 3Axel.
    They went with highest scoring potential. A clean Mao could have won the SP (it's arguable, seeing how her PCS is barely above Yulia's ) and they needed to take that risk in order to offset their weaknesses in pairs and dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    ITA! Japan's Pair team is laughable - no offence, I admire the efforts of both Takahashi and Kihara BUT they are just not world class/elite level just yet. Their dance team is better and more competitive, but still not good enough.

And even if Kanako skated the SP, I doubt she would've placed higher than 3rd. She would need a score of 70+, and give her technical content and PCS, I doubt that was going to happen.
    I think it's a bit harsh to call them laughable - under the circumstances (Kihara being new to pairs, Takahashi's continuing problems with jumps), they made a decent effort. They were placeholders anyway in the team event - show up, skate, with a bit of luck not finish last (in the SP at least), which is exactly what happened.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    And? A clean Kanako would not beat a clean Carolina and Julia. The result would have been the same at BEST. Much worse at worst.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2