What makes the greatest skaters just that? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What makes the greatest skaters just that?

What makes the greatest skaters just that?

• Excellent competitor--best under pressure and always "brings it"

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • Equally brilliant technically and artistically--"the whole package"

Votes: 43 44.8%
  • Consistency over an unusually long career

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Pushes the envelope technically--and, in doing so, pushes the sport forward

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Consummate artist, lyrical skater, though not necessarily a great jumper

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Communicates effectively with and moves audiences

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 4 4.2%

• Total voters

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I vote for Pushes the envelope technically--and, in doing so, pushes the sport forward. Reminded me of Alexei and that's why I voted for that one.

Dee

Labogh

Rinkside
I chose Equally brilliant technically and artistically -- "the whole package".

To me a skater can't be great even if she had the greatest jumps and spins if she didn't know how to interpret the music. A skater has to have a good technique but what separates the wheat from the chaff is the artistry. She has to know how to balance between those two.

A great skater knows how to touch the audience, she knows how to grab your attention, she makes skating look effortless, she has a good barriage, style and overall a good posture. Sasha Cohen is an example of a perfect posture. Tim Goebel on the other hand, as a good technique and a beautiful smile he has, doesn't, in my opinion, represent the best barriage. It's small things that count.

But, in fact, my conception of a good skater includes all of those options, you can't really separate one from another, it's the package.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It's not just talent that makes a great skater, but attitude and sportmanship. How he/she conducts themselves in public and with their fellow teammates as well as fellow competitors. Elvis Stojko is a great example of not only being a wonderful competitor, but one who shows great team spirit and is generous to his fans and is well respected in the skating world.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ladskater said:
It's not just talent that makes a great skater, but attitude and sportmanship. How he/she conducts themselves in public and with their fellow teammates as well as fellow competitors. Elvis Stojko is a great example of not only being a wonderful competitor, but one who shows great team spirit and is generous to his fans and is well respected in the skating world.

Ladskater, ITA re: Elvis. All of these factors help explain why I'm such a "Todd" fan as well. :love:

Chrystia Mee

Rinkside
It's actually a combination of those things that make a skater appeal to me. Or sometimes just one. It depends on what you mean by great as well. I'm not the end all be all of what makes a great skater, but the skaters that appeal to me have a combination of excellent qualities. So I say a mix of 1,2, and 6

Choice 2/6 is extremely important for basics. Artistry is important and so are the technical skills. For me, a skater with no presentation skills is of very little interest to watch. That's why a combination of both is needed in my mind. You can have a stronger aspect. For example Midori Ito is considered a technical skater (which she was, shes a legend in jumping), but she did have presentation skills as well. So I do think a complete package is needed for a great skater. But there's more to it than that. Choice 1 appeals to me because personally I get tired of watching skaters fall over and over again. I used to love Sandhu, but after a while you get weary of watching him slide all over the place. Whereas even though I'm a die hard Michelle Kwan fan, I also really liked Tara Lipinski because she had nerves of steel. She always could pull it together. I don't think longevity is really what makes a great skater. Tara had a short career and yet I think if her hip had allowed her and she had chosen to stick around she would have been a dominating skater in the field.

ice_princess

Rinkside
I think it would be a combination of the 1st and 2nd options. I chose the excellent competitior though because nobody will know how great you are unless you do well in competitions :)