Lipnitskaya vs Kim: What will happen in the individual competition? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya vs Kim: What will happen in the individual competition?

RABID

Final Flight
After the team ladies SP event, Julia established herself as the clear OGM favorite even for the individual event. There is only one person she hasn't faced yet: Yuna Kim. What do you think will happen in the individual competition? Can Kim overcome this great phenom or will she succumb to Julia too just like Mao, Caro, etc.? Both have 3Lz-3T, strong mental fortitude and consistency, making prediction of the outcome quite difficult. For myself, it's my wish that Julia triumphs and gets the OGM if Mao can't do it. I prefer spreading wealth.

A lot of interesting sub plots to this scenario. A once upon a time breakout phenom from a non traditional figure skating country who is now the Reigning World and Olympic champion vs a young upstart Russian phenom who is from a major figure skating country. A jumping queen vs a spinning princess. Judges; now well versed in Julia's programs vs rarely viewed controversial FP of Yuna's. Elegance vs packaging. Age vs youth. Mystery vs hope. OMG This could be one for the ages. :popcorn:

kikakiks

On the Ice
wow, thats a new low hoping for a mistake
troll accounts should be banned such as this

Try again, your propganda isnt working
the bots are all in full force, disgraceful

Watch Again and Again : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx96OcUKpT0
and Enjoy the comments of Julia with no FS knowledge :)
hint: you'll be disappointed they praising julia more

I am feeling so frustrated that my account should be labelled a troll...
I speak up rarely, and mostly read in this forum.
If I do speak up, it is because i strongly believe in what I say

I still understand why nobody had ever label your account that instead, you are so repetitive, in each thread you enter...

Let's go back to the topic of discussion, which was:
What Will happen in the individual competition?
I think Yuna will bring it home if she is perfect, otherwise it will be Julia.
We are talking about two really consistent skaters
The bronze is up for grabs

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A lot of interesting sub plots to this scenario. A once upon a time breakout phenom from a non traditional figure skating country who is now the Reigning World and Olympic champion vs a young upstart Russian phenom who is from a major figure skating country. A jumping queen vs a spinning princess. Judges; now well versed in Julia's programs vs rarely viewed controversial FP of Yuna's. Elegance vs packaging. Age vs youth. Mystery vs hope. OMG This could be one for the ages. :popcorn:

I'm with you. I'm not going to allow all the negative Julia attack ads here ruin my day. This should be a great individual medal event. So many deserving winners. Hopefully the best skater of the day wins!

ahy

Final Flight
if they put a clean julia (however the flutzing problem is kinda annoying and doesn't get edge calls in Russia...) over a clean yuna, they just don't do justice :bang::bang:
also, I'm really wondering why did they put adelina and julia with the koreans in practices, haha, that will make yuna's jumps stand out

Antilopa

On the Ice
you're a real poet!:clap:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
if they put a clean julia (however the flutzing problem is kinda annoying and doesn't get edge calls in Russia...) over a clean yuna, they just don't do justice :bang::bang:
also, I'm really wondering why did they put adelina and julia with the koreans in practices, haha, that will make yuna's jumps stand out

You've already decided who should win before watching the girls skate. This is called prejudice! Therefor you shouldn't use the word justice and instead say satisfies my preconceived notions and personal preference. There are a lot of girls deserving of a medal. I think Mao Caro and even Julia can beat a clean Yuna. Whoever wants it most and skates the hardest should win. I think it's unlikely Yuna loses but if she goes clean and one of these girls goes clean amd beyond who knows. Yuna seemed as musical and beautiful as ever but a bit uninspired at Korean Nationals. That was clean but maybe a little blah, IMO, to what she is capable. I think Yuna is poised to win but if she is lackluster she will be pounced out by someone, even clean Yuna. Good luck!

treeloving

Medalist
Well, you might not LIVE in Russia, but it is quite unique how you bash all skaters except the Russians, and are particularly bitter towards canadians...

Fortunately, Rythmic gymnastics has nothing to do with figure skating....yet....anybody who has followed that sport as myself (a former gymnast) knows what I mean...

I know what you mean, the judging and result here look more and more like RG.

The first thing I think of when I saw the score is now skating fan will understand how RG fan feel for so long.

Vash01

Medalist
After the team ladies SP event, Julia established herself as the clear OGM favorite even for the individual event. There is only one person she hasn't faced yet: Yuna Kim. What do you think will happen in the individual competition? Can Kim overcome this great phenom or will she succumb to Julia too just like Mao, Caro, etc.? Both have 3Lz-3T, strong mental fortitude and consistency, making prediction of the outcome quite difficult. For myself, it's my wish that Julia triumphs and gets the OGM if Mao can't do it. I prefer spreading wealth.

I don't think she is the favorite. Yu na is still the favorite. Julia has established herself as a medal contender though, and if Yu na, Mao and other top ladies make mistakes, she could have a chance for the gold. Yu na is the toughest lady skater I have ever seen. In Vancouver she carried the pressure of an entire nation and delivered two flawless performances. I expect her to win here, unless Mao finds her 3A and becomes competitive. Carolina and Gracie are also in the running, IMO.

That said, I am very excited to see Julia's development this season. She is a competitor and hard worker, and I love watching both her programs (particularly her LP)

Krislite

Medalist
The pressure is much bigger on Yuna's competitors to unseat her, than for her to win a second OGM. The funny thing is, even with all the inflated scores around none have yet topped her personal best. Try as hard as she might, Julia will still need even more help from the judges to get her LP score closer to 148-150. The judges have left a bit of room for Yuna to win, though a smaller one than before.

The pressure is on Julia to repeat her clean performance, for Mao to win on her very last shot at OGM, and to keep at bay all other competitors vying for a podium spot. They need to do better than they've ever done before. But Yuna knows she only needs to do what she's proven she's capable of before. All the naysayers like Tana are hyping up Julia and saying Yuna should be "worried" and is "in trouble". Be careful what you wish for. You might end up elevating Yuna unintentionally. If this is the toughest competition Yuna has ever faced, all the better and all the sweeter will that final triumph be. :)

Robeye

Final Flight
The pressure is much bigger on Yuna's competitors to unseat her, than for her to win a second OGM. The funny thing is, even with all the inflated scores around none have yet topped her personal best. Try as hard as she might, Julia will still need even more help from the judges to get her LP score closer to 148-150. The judges have left a bit of room for Yuna to win, though a smaller one than before.

The pressure is on Julia to repeat her clean performance, for Mao to win on her very last shot at OGM, and to keep at bay all other competitors vying for a podium spot. They need to do better than they've ever done before. But Yuna knows she only needs to do what she's proven she's capable of before. All the naysayers like Tana are hyping up Julia and saying Yuna should be "worried" and is "in trouble". Be careful what you wish for. You might end up elevating Yuna unintentionally. If this is the toughest competition Yuna has ever faced, all the better and all the sweeter will that final triumph be. :)
Nicely said.

And who can argue with balls of steel? :laugh:

s_parks

Record Breaker

:thumbsup:

tokugawaice

Rinkside
Here's my prediction assuming FLAWLESS performances (but still includes deductions for things that won't be fixed with a single performance like flutzing) from the following skaters that I consider the top contenders: Asada, Kim, Kostner, Lipnitskaia, Gold, Suzuki

1. Asada (77 SP, 146 LP, 223 combined, this is a BIG if - as in she lands 3 CLEAN triple axles and gets the PCS boost you generally see for perfectly executed programs)
2. Kim (74 SP, 148 LP, 222 combined)
3. Kostner (73 SP, 144 LP, 217 combined, this assumes substantial PCS advantage)
4. Lipnitskaia (73 SP, 142 LP, 215 combined)
5. Suzuki (70 SP, 140 LP, 210 combined)
6. Gold (70 SP, 137 LP, 207 combined)

HOWEVER, based on what I've seen this season I think the ACTUAL podium will look like this
1. Kim (71 SP, 148 LP, 219 combined) <==maybe a slight bobble in the SP leading to a lower SP score, but recovers nicely for a perfect LP
2. Lipnitskaia (73 SP, 136 LP, 209 combined) <==wins the short, but succumbs to pressure (skates LP before Yuna) and makes 1-2 big mistakes, but judges will keep scores inflated
3. Kostner (69 SP, 139 LP, 208 combined) <==highly inconsistent but given her current mindset I see her as the dark horse making her way onto the podium
4. Asada (66 SP, 132 LP, 198 combined) <== misses triple axel in short, lands one underrotated triple axel and one downgraded triple axel in the long, no falls)
5. Suzuki (65 SP, 130 LP, 195 combined) <==solid performances but a few imperfections
6. Gold (68 SP, 126 LP, 194 combined) <==solid performances, one major error in the LP

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm not in love with Kim's free. I think she's the better skater though and if clean she'll win. I think Julia's her biggest threat because Julia's probably the best competitor of all. I am not sure how Kim's going to compete because she has faltered in the past. I actually feel pretty confident Julia will go clean.

Layfan

Record Breaker
HOWEVER, based on what I've seen this season I think the ACTUAL podium will look like this
1. Kim (71 SP, 148 LP, 222 combined) <==maybe a slight bobble in the SP leading to a lower SP score, but recovers nicely for a perfect LP
2. Lipnitskaia (73 SP, 136 LP, 209 combined) <==wins the short, but succumbs to pressure (skates LP before Yuna) and makes 1-2 big mistakes, but judges will keep scores inflated
3. Kostner (69 SP, 139 LP, 208 combined) <==highly inconsistent but given her current mindset I see her as the dark horse making her way onto the podium
4. Asada (66 SP, 132 LP, 198 combined) <== misses triple axel in short, lands one underrotated triple axel and one downgraded triple axel in the long, no falls)
5. Suzuki (65 SP, 130 LP, 195 combined) <==solid performances but a few imperfections
6. Gold (68 SP, 126 LP, 194 combined) <==solid performances, one major error in the LP

This was my EXACT thought too for the podium after the team comp. (Go Caro!!) I know she has been stubborn in this but I wonder if Mao is rethinking her strategy after the teams. does she really need to do the axel in the short program? Won't she risk getting buried?

If I had my way here would be the podium

1. Kim
2. Kostner
3. Asada
(I think Mao is more exquisite than ever but somehow I have enjoyed Caro more this season. She is skating with pizazz and abandon and her usual elegance.)

Lipnitskaia _ if she nails her programs I cannot see her being lower than fourth. But I'd like to think that the above girls would still beat her because of their superior skills and polish.

Layfan

Record Breaker

This is a good analysis. I'm sure Kim is in it to win but at the same time, she's an Olympic Gold medalist forever no matter what.