Lipnitskaya vs Kim: What will happen in the individual competition? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya vs Kim: What will happen in the individual competition?

VirMo

On the Ice
Liptnitskaya may win Gold, but she will never be a real champion and nobody will consider her as one either. Michelle Kwan never won OGM but she is a hero and a champion to a lot of people, as is Yuna. One OGM cannot make up for the entire career.

I really hope Litpnitskaya is judged on her own merit (in which case, if all of her contenders skate cleanly, she is not likely to win gold). Even if she wins gold this time, many people are likely to attribute it to home advantage, fixing in judging, fluke, or mistakes by others. Nobody has proven to be a deserving champion like Yuna.

tokugawaice

Rinkside
The team LP was already as far as I can see Julia's scores going. It was the best she could possibly skate, and already some fairly generous GOE and PCS. It is actually easier to see Kim going beyond 73 in PCS if someone like Julia is cracking 70, and thus improving her 148 from Worlds last year than Julia improving any further from a 140ish.

Sorry but the idea of Julia's score being pushed to 150 or beyond is delusional fantasy at best. She wont even come close to that.

You raise an interesting point. Suppose Julia skates before Yuna in the LP and they give Julia 73 PCS, with a perfect Yuna I don't see any way for the Judges to award Yuna anything lower than 76 PCS otherwise the red flags will definitely be raised.

However I think another point that's important is that in the 6.0 world it was easier for the lay-person or journalist to interpret whether or not scores were "too high" or not. In that system people could roughly know who was 1st,2nd,3rd, etc. I feel like in the new system the lay-person won't necessarily know that Yuna was a lot better than Julia in things like skating skills, speed, flow over the ice, etc especially if Yuna makes a mistake. They will see o wow! Julia skated perfectly and that was such an amazing performance! not the 147 points versus the 142 points type of thinking.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
I could see her PCS going up another 3-4 points, so assuming she gets 4 points in the PCS and superior GOEs I can see her score going up another 4 points on PCS and 6 points on GOE, leaving her at 151-152. The 2-3 point margin over Yuna in the LP may be what gets Julia to the OGM if Yuna beats her in the SP by 1 or 2 points. Thoughts?
Right at your though on Yuna scored around 148 if perfect, I'm actually much agree and think you are in right mind, but what the h*ll is this with nonsense Julia will crack THE WORLD RECORD and win over a clean Yuna???? So much fantasy here :rolleye:

Krislite

Medalist
Right at your though on Yuna scored around 148 if perfect, I'm actually much agree and think you are in right mind, but what the h*ll is this with nonsense Julia will crack THE WORLD RECORD and win over a clean Yuna???? So much fantasy here :rolleye:

Revisionist history. Apparently in the alternate universe that Yulia came from recently, she has already been to Worlds several times, has a few world titles under her belt and is the most dominant skater in history.

The hype is all good. Put the pressure on Yuna's competitor and let her come in under the radar instead. ;)

usethis2

Medalist
I don't think Yuna's skating in 2013 Worlds was better than that of Vancouver, but if you consider that jumps' GOE got reduced by 30% (+0.7/+1.4/+2.1 instead of +1/+2/+3) after the 2010 Olympics, her score of 148 in 2013 probably surpassed 150 by the 2010 standard.

Ven

Match Penalty
For me, it's not possible to say whether 2010 Olympics or 2013 World Champs was better for Yuna. They were both so far above and beyond any other ladies skater I've ever seen.

vegarin

On the Ice
Revisionist history. Apparently in the alternate universe that Yulia came from recently, she has already been to Worlds several times, has a few world titles under her belt and is the most dominant skater in history.
They must think her name is Yuna or something. ;)

Last year at Worlds, when she hit ~148, I thought a clean Yuna would score above 150 at the Olympics, given it's the Olympics. I didn't take account of the Russian factor, but I really hope that the judges will choose not to apply the Olympic inflation selectively. That's all I hope for at this point.