19 Sasha COHEN USA
20 Valentina MARCHEI ITA
21 Ji-Eun CHOI

.....Thoughts?

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sasha got lucky this year. Maybe she'll trust the Skating Gods.
Michelle and Fumie should make SP final warm-up despite skating early. It'll be interesting in how they are marked though. Jenny K has a good shot at final warm-up group also. Curious as to how Irina will hold up. Will she be held up?

Wow just noticed Ando skates last. Hmmm. How will that upset the apple cart? I am really looking forward to this one. So much talent; so few medals.

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
Have I ever mentioned how stupid counting the qualifying round is?

Have I ever mentioned how stupid _NOT EVEN SEEDING?!?!?!?!?_ the skaters in the qualifying round is?

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the interim judging system?

If I weren't rooting for Kwan, I probably wouldn't even be watching any of this years WC because the ISU is bound and determined to suck any enjoyment I get out of watching skating out of the sport with idiotic judging and competition structures.

Now that _that's_ off my chest, good luck to all the competitiors.

I'm surprised Pavuk isn't in this competition. Is she injured? didn't Hungary qualify 2 skaters or did Sebestyen crash and burn last year?

mzheng

Record Breaker
I'm surprised that all 3 Japanese ladies in ONE group.

Seems the QA is a hard group than QB.

Kateri

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
B.

Crashed, burned and went home in 14th place.

ah - shame! Pavuk was a firecracker at Europeans!
Was looking forward to seeing her... oh well.

k.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Silly Q regarding the schedule...

Anyone know why in men's qualifying the dance compulsaries the "B" group went first, but in the ladies qualifying the "A" group goes first?? Just seems strange.

I would think barring a major disaster, an early skate won't hurt MK. I wonder how the skate order might affect Fumie.

Just curious..

DG

Peaches1972

Rinkside
Mafke, I agree.

Thoughts:

Group "A" is pack with talented skaters. That group could be a World Championships in itself.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Mafke.............Totally agree and by the way, welcome to GS.

Michelle should do okay, despite the early draw..........she'll get it over with and then be able to concentrate on the short. I'd be very surprised if she didn't make the final flight for the short.....42

berthes ghost

Final Flight
ITA
Well, I did see her again at Junior worlds and she was no where near as good as she was at Euros, so be glad that you saw her when she was "on". :)

shine

Record Breaker
Wheeee I love Joannie's group. Hope she doesn't let this opportunity slip through her fingers!!!

Mafke

Medalist
Kateri said:

k.

I agree that Pavuk was fun at Europeans but there's not much yet besides the jumps.

Hi Mafke, welcome to the forum! Well, at least this will be the last we'll see of the Interim system.

About the CoP and being held up, Sasha Cohen had this interesting comment after Skate America (the first GP event where the CoP was used, quoted in Spotlight on Skating magazine): "With the 6.0 system, I knew what was going on, when the judges were holding me up. Now (under CoP)... I have no clue."

Michelle should have no problem with the early skate. It's not like the judges are going to overlook her or forget that she was out there. She'll lay down her stuff and catch an early nap. Fumie should be OK, too.

I think Ando got the worst draw. Here she is at her first Worlds, almost her first major International seniors competition, and she has to wait through the whole event, nerves building with each skater's performance. I hope she goes into it with an attitude of, I've got nothing to lose, here's my quad, what do y'all think of that!

Mathman

PS. Sebestien was super at Europeans. In the second group she could provide the surprise that everyone's been waiting for.

Last edited:

cianni

On the Ice
cianni

Seems the Skating Gods gave Sasha a gift this yr. I doubt she will not win her QR. Cupcake is her only comp. and she cant beat a clean Cohen. So I expect Sasha to be a real contender with an advantage. I hope she makes the most of it.How did Irina get in Group A and why. I was surprised at that and boy is that Group A stacked. Sure wish they would find a way to be more fair and balanced in the groups. Well good luck to all the skaters.

Lucy25

Final Flight
You are correct. Group B is skating first. I guess that is something positive for Group A. The groups are incredibliy unfair this year. Irina and a couple other skaters were transfered into Group A after a skater withdrew a couple of days ago. That one withdrawl totally shifted the groups.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Wow, I'll say..........that is a break for Irina, Michelle, and Fumie....42

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Group A/B

The ISU site had it reversed this morning, but now they are showing Group B first on their schedule too.

DG

soogar

Record Breaker
How are they deciding the order the groups skate in? IE B skates first, then A. Is it a flip a coin thing ? I think this kind of suck with placements and all. When they go to Code of points, will they just multiply the points a skater earns by the value of the event ie qr, sp and lp and then sum up points and skater with the highest points wins? That seems fairer than ordinals esp if one group is tougher than another.