Men's Short - Notes & Results | Golden Skate

Men's Short - Notes & Results

Rosaleen

Medalist
PLEASE NOTE: All of these worlds reports are copyright Golden Skate and are not to be copied & pasted to other internet message boards, web-sites or email lists. You are very welcome to link to the forums from other web-sites. Registration is required, but it’s free.

Group # 1

Neil Wilson GBR Start # 1
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Music: Quixote by Magnus Fiennes Black catsuit with bit of sparkles
3a hung on for clean – first time I’ve ever seen him land it completely clean -- it wasn’t as pretty as it might have been but no deduction – on replay might have been a tiny bit cheated / 3f2t / strt ftwrk is goo fast & with music / ftwrk 3l big pause though / great deathdrop / sit ch sit sis fast centered & great pos / O goes well with music & lots of turns both ways but maybe a little too much on 2 feet / final combo spin is wonderful with great layback / what a great skate for him – don’t think I’ve ever seen him skate better – way to start the competition /

Tomas Verner CZE Start # 2
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2
The New Classical Melody bright blue tshirt with dark grey shiny (lame) pants
3a3t lovely / ftwrk right into 3f / sit ch sit is fast with almost great pos - centered / some chor into his strt ftwrk :& here we go fast :& good with lots of turns both ways / 2a / flycam got very slow – pos was good – think enough revs / O ftwrk is good / combo spin is travelling a lot nice pos & speed though.

Trifun Zivanovic SCG Start # 3
Ordinals 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3
Music: Ukraine by D. Marshal black with sequin design on front & down sleeves /
3f bit tilted but clean 3t very tilted and stepped out / 3a fell / death drop is ok / O ftwrk is quite good fast & with music / ftwrk into 3z fell out / sit ch sit had just enough revs on back centered with good pos & ok speed / strt ftwrk is ok / combo spin sit pos on front & back are good cam on back is very short & weak /

Juraj Sviatko SVK Start # 4
Ordinals 3 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
Music: Mucho Mambo, Black Machine how do I describe this shirt ?? V-neck with royal blue/turqoise ruffle around it & on cuffs on sleeves – body of shirt is yellow, blue & green abstract design black pants have insets on lower leg of the same fabric / strarts out doing dancing & chor to music into ftwrk into 3z fell / 3f fell (was to be combo) / more dancing / elements have been moved from what is on our ‘cheat sheet’ / 2a kind of spun out of it / think I missed the flying sit / O ftwrk is dancy & with music / sit ch sit was good / strt ftwrk is Morozov style & he did it quite well / combo spin was good in the sit pos but rest were kind of weak /

Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari FIN Start # 5
Ordinals 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3
Tango Buenos Aires by C Garden Black with sparkly vest :& bright red shirt
3z think he got a bad pick – not near enough height & fell / 3f3t / flysit was good – low fast / O ftwrk is very tango-y / high 2a / sit ch sit is centered, good pos & speed / diag ftwrk is good – again tango feel / some chor into his combo spin includes donut to high catch foot / He kept up the performance all the way through / The cheat sheet says the lutz was supposed to be part of the combo and therefore I don’t think there was enough ftwrk into it.

Vakhtang Murvanidze GEO Start # 6
Ordinals 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 5 6
Music” Take Five by D Brubeck all in black with wide open V neck
3a high fell out then both hands down / 3z step out turn 3t / fly cam is ok / ftwrk big pause 2f / combo spin is very good with nice catch foot on the camel pos / lots of movement to muusic at end of boards setting up his strt ftwrk & the crowd loves it – ftwrk is quite good – I was typing & not watching it really closely / cam ch cam didn’t last really long but I wasn’t counting revs / O ftwrk was going really well & was good until he fell backwards onto his rear and couldn’t get up in time to finish it /

A disappointment for Murvanidze. He has such charismatic presentation I hate to see him make so many technical errors.

Mathman

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I wouldn't want to meltdown with a Russian coach.

When Nicole let gold slip away in 95 or when MK messed up at 97 nats, Richard and Frank were hugging them, patting thier backs and reassuring them that it was not the end of the worlds.

Zulin's body language in K&C was awful. I don't think he wanted anything to do with poor Vakhtang.

Rosaleen

Medalist
Group # 2

Kristoffer Berntsson SWE Start # 7
Ordinals 1 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 4
Music: Like I Love You; Session Bright pink-red tpshirt & black pants /
Starts out with some great dance moves in place / around for the 3a huge lean into the circle & fell on his side / 3z3t held the z landing til he was set for the toe / flysit is very nice / O ftwrk circle is a bit small but ftwrk is ok / ftwrk right into 3f with a hand down / sit ch sit is super-fast & excellent pos / strt ftwrk is quite good / combo spin starts with cam to goes to outside edge then to multiple sit position variations on both feet / ends with some dance moves in place to music / I disagree that he should be this high – Neil’s program was easier but no mistakes – 2 big errors in this one

Ivan Dinev BUL Start # 8
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2
The Feeling Begins by P Gabriel Black with gold lame
3f3t / cheat sheet is wrong / 3a leanging way outside the circle don’t know how he managed to land it clean but he did / sit ch sit / O ftwrk expresses music very well but little on slow side / ftwrk 3z leaning way forward and fell / combo spin is good / music explodes and he’s doing his strt ftwrk which is very good /

Vitali Danilchenko UKR Start # 9
Ordinals 5 6 6 8 8 8 8 9 9
Music: Pulp Fiction soundtrack / black semi-sheer sparkly shirt & black pants
Lots of stroking around the rink into 3a leaning outside circle fell / ftwrk big pause 3z was 2-1/2 came out forward on 2 feet / strt ftwrk has long series of one-foot skating & turns / flycam has great speed, centered & stretch with hands behind back / 3f did the same thing as on lutz / O ftwrk in contrast to strt, has lots of 2footed skating/ combo spin to end is ok /

Zoltan Toth HUN Start # 10
Ordinals 4 5 5 6 6 6 7 7 8
Piano Concerto # 1 by Tchaikovski black with lots of silver trim in shape of sort of vest that has piano keys on it
I love this music / very deliberate into 3a landed forward & hopped on toe then turn out / 3f same kind of landing turn 3t / strt ftwrk went well with music but on the easy side / ftwrk 3z / combo spin is ok – well centered / some chor into fly sit which had good fly & sit was pretty good / dramatic build in music and he’s doing his O ftwrk which I like much beter than the strt / sit ch sit is very good /

Yamato Tamura JPN Start # 11
Ordinals 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 6 6
Piano Concerto By Grieg semi sheer navy blue blousey shirt with ruffle down his back with a few sequins
Dramatic piano & he’s got the attitude / 4t step out didn’t do 2nd jump / ftwrk 3z landed pitched a bit forward but stayed clean / flysit goes on forever in great pos & very fast / music softens and so does his skating / 2a / combo spin is good – nice pos fast, centered / S ftwrk has the crowd going & is dramatic & to the music / death drop is just great / diag ftwrk is very good /

Matthew Savoie USA Start # 12
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 4
Spirit of Taiko by Kitaro Dark ?? think I saw some green with lighter coloured design around hips
3a / 3f3t very nice / stgrt ftwrk is traditional style & quite good / flycam is very good with layover pos & then bent leg layover / sit ch sit has nice low pos & centered bit on slow side if I have to nitpick / O ftwrk is probably quite difficult but somehow didn’t impress me / ftwrk right into 3z fell out / combo spin is great ending in fast scratch /

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Wish I could see Matt's performance...

That's my USA cheer.

The Eurosport announcers were WOW on his 3A which they described as "coming out of nowhere." Would love to just see a clip of that.

At least he can go home saying that in a moment of time, he was leading the competition in the short!

DG

brenlynn

On the Ice
Johnny is skating now...

GO JOHNNY!!! :love: :love:

edited to add: djskdjklsajdj eurosport cut out on me after johnny's 3axel :cry:

Rosaleen

Medalist
Group # 3

Kevin van der Perren BEL Start # 13
Ordinals 1 2 2 2 3 3 4 4 4
Music: Tango Tanguera by Piazolla Black with red trim
3a almost had it very low landing with hand down turn 3t / ftwrk right into 3z / flysit is very good with changes of speed to match music / O ftwrk starts out by playing to judges then is very good & matches music / nice easy 2a / sit ch sit is good fast & low / strt ftwrk is Morozov style with lots & arms & stops – he does it well but it’s a little overdone for me / combo spin to end is excellent & centered /

Gregor Urbas SLO Start # 14
Ordinals 1 2 4 4 5 5 5 6 7
Music: Carmina Burana black loose shirt with red design down one side
3z3t landed toe at dead stop and kind of iffy out of it but think it was clean / long prep into 3a clean / fly sit is low & good speed / pause before strt ftwrk which is old-style (no stopping) with good speed & flow / something went wrong on the 3 flip – popped it to a double?? Will have to check replay – didn’t see it on replay / O ftwrk was excellent as were the combo spin & change foot – I didn’t see them (was writing) person next to me thought so /

Ben Ferreira CAN Start # 15
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3
Music: Oh’ But on the Third Day multi coloured shirt with blue & yellow & red & high waisted pants
3t2t ?? almost pos - too much space after rotation to be quad – that’s going to kill his base mark / great 3a / cam ch cam with very good stretch and change to layover pos / O ftwrk is big and fast and goes well with music / ftwrk 3z / combo spin cam sit back cam sit xfoot / diag ftwrk is very good and difficult turns both ways / butterflies into sit with good fly sit & speed with change of pos /

Daisuke Takahashi JPN Start # 16
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 3
Music: Mission Impossible 2 Black with fushia on sleeves & upper back
4t 2t fell out of 2t / 3a pitched really far forward (nose almost hit ice) but kept hands up and clean / fly cam is excellent with layover pos / some neat chor & into his O ftwrk which is excellent / ftwrk 3z / sit ch sit is very good – low & fast / strt ftwrk is Morozov style but he pulls it off well / combo spin is travelling until final scratch pos which is centered /

Sergei Davydov BLR Start # 17
Ordinals 1 1 2 3 3 4 4 7 7
Music: Hungarian Rhapsody White satin shirt with bit of silver
Lots of stroking & prep into 3a 3t think toe was 2ft / 3z just managed to hang on to the landing / strt ftwrk is wonderful and finishes just on the beat of the music / fly cam has good fly & spin but free leg needs a lot more extension / 2a / sit ch sit is fast & low with nice pos variations / O ftwrk has crowd clapping along – very good / combo spin includes layback & is fast & centered /

Johnny Weir USA Start # 18
Valse Triste by Sibelius black with silver gtrim to give a vest effect
Cramatic movement to start / very easy 3z3t nice. . / 3a / flycam with great fly & bent leg layover pos / O ftwrk is very flowy & with music lots of one foot skating / ftwrk right into 3f / strt ftwrk again is very flow-y & with music / sit ch sit is excellent with nice pos variations – being picky it’s a little slow / combo spin with his unique positions is excellent /

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
WOW on Johnny...

The Eurosport commentators were RAVING about his performance, and criticized the judges who didn't have the courage to score him much higher.

I'm just thrilled that he had what sounds like an inspired skate. I HOPE we get to see this one on TV...can't imagine they won't show it in the US no matter where he places in the end.

Wow.

DG

edited to add - I absolutely CANNOT WAIT to hear more from Rosaleen and others who were there to see it live.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Good for Johnny..........can't wait to see it .....when does the next flight skate........the placements at the World Figure Skating website hasn't changed in a while.............42

Rosaleen

Medalist
Group # 4

Min Zhang CHN Start # 19
Ordinals 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 4
Music: Lawrence of Arabia Soundtrack / black with gold trim & egyptian style plate around neck /
3a fell out / 4t3t so nice & easy / flycam is fast with good pos & centered / ftwrk 3z tiny bit pitched forward but not fear of not being clean / strt ftwrk is morozov style and on the slow side / sit ch sit is very good fast & low almost perfectly centered tiny travel on back / O ftwrk seems a bit slow & not that detailed / combo spin is very good

Frederic Dambier FRA Start # 20
Ordinals 1 2 2 3 3 3 4 4 8
Music Suite #r D-minor by Haendel black with white trim weird asymetrical shirt with fringe /
4sal 3t landed forward & hands down on toe / 3a / flysit (cheat sheet says camel ) is good / strt steps are on slow side but lots of expression – not difficult enough in 2nd half / music is really soft now & good expression / ftwrk into 3f / combo spin almost lost it at the beginning – trouble centering but then way ok / music really builds and O ftwrk goes very well & is fast & detailed / sit ch sit to end is very good /

Andrei Griazev RUS Start # 21
Ordinals 1 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 11
Music: Libertango by Piazzollo Black with ties of various colours on front & back of his shirt
Lots of prep into 3a high – 3t bit shakey on landing but managed to keep it clean / ftwrk 3f / cam ch cam is very good centered with nice speed & good pos / O ftwrk is morozov style but is very well done with good speed & great tango expression / 2a / flysit has great low sit pos – could be a bit faster / strt ftwrk really has crowd going – where he’s moving it’s very difficult but too much toe work in one sport for me / combo spin to end is good & centered with very good pos bit on slow side / A very good skate for him – no complaints at all /

Michael Weiss USA Start # 22
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 2 3 3 4 4
Music: Henry V almost overdone military style from that period
4t 2foot 3t (cheat sheet says 3f3t, but I’m positive it was a 4t) / 3a / flysit has very good fly and nice sit / 3z from ftwrk / sit ch sit is bit slow but nice pos & variations on pos / diag ftwrk is good – goes with music / combo spin start with excellent cam & some nice different additional pos / O ftwrk to drumbeats is very good – my kind of style – turns both ways fast & detailed /

Chengjiang Li CHN Start # 23
Ordinals 5 6 6 7 8 9 9 9 12
Music: Global Spirit by Karunesh black or navy with gold trim around chest & at knees
Movement to music to set mood / bailed on quad toe to a landed on 2 spread feet double / beautiful 3a / O ftwrk is fast & detailed & to music / ftwrk 3l / sit ch sit has good pos variations & is centered with speed / some chor to music into combo spin that starts with cam he had a bit of trouble centering – rest of spin is a bit slow but gpood / strt ftwrk works well with music maybe a bit too much 2footed / fly cam to end is very good /

Gheorghe Chiper ROM Start # 24
Ordinals 7 8 8 8 8 8 11 13 13
Spirit of Morocco Black with light blue main part of top with light blue around cuffs of pants
Some dancing to music to set things up / 4t pretty sure 2ft 2t – done right at boards in front of me and couldn’t see properly – replay shows 2ft & hand down / 3a landed very low fell on rear with hand down / flysit is very good / Love the O ftwrk – great imagination & goes so well with music / 3z / combo spin has some neat ‘moroccan’ type positions / strt ftwrk is very good / sit ch sit is fast & low & perfectly centered /

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I see that Michael Weiss is in first place so far............but what a power house to follow..........it will be tough for either Michael or Johnny to hold onto a top three finish in the short..........can't wait to read Rosaleen's report....................42

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Show...

I've been following this on the ISU site for scores/placements and also listening live on Eurosport. The scores at ISU are updated immediately following the announcement for scores for the skaters.

http://www.isufs.org/results/wc2004/seg003.htm

Rosaleen - now I have to go back and read your report on the last flight! Thanks again for doing this.

DG

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Weir was clean and stylist, but a kinda delicate style.

Weiss is much more powerful in presentation, more command of the ice IMHO. Too bad he 2foots that damn quad so much.

Rosaleen

Medalist
Group # 5

Evgeni Plushenko RUS Start # 25
Music: Tango & Flamenco black with silver sequin trim
4t3t is clean / 3a is high & pretty / some movement in place to set up his O ftwrk which is very good but is at least 10 feet in from boards away from judges / ftwrk 3z pitched a bit forward on landing / sit ch sit is good with low pos – could be faster / strt steps are very good and parts are difficult but also some parts are not / flycam to donut is very good as is combo spin including beillman / He did everything he needed to – no complaints about that skate it was excellent.

Stefan Lindemann GER Start # 26
Ordinals 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
Music: Earnest (soundtrack) Black with lime green vest effect on front & wide suspenders on back
Dancing to music to set light-hearted mood – crowd is clapping along / 4t3t – couldn’t see feet but TV person in front stood up to catch it and by his reaction it was clean / high 3a that didn’t look perfect in air but came down clean / sit ch sit is very good / ftwrk into 3z wasn’t as perfect a landing as could be but it was clean – he didn’t blow it / strt steps are very good / sit ch sit is fast & low with good pos / O ftwrk is very much with music & detailed & crowd is clapping / flying sit is great - / don’t know how he managed to hold it all together after doing the 3 jumps – you could feel the crowd getting more excited with each element but being afraid to let it go until he had finished – heck, how often has a skater done all of the tough stuff and blown an ‘easy’ element? / He is just extatic (sp?) – cripes, I’ve got tears in my eyes from the emotion.

Emanuel Sandhu CAN Start # 27
Ordinals 7 9 9 10 10 12 13 14 14
Music: Carlo Saura’s Tango Black & red shirt with open neck
Opening pose and fast head turn to set tango feel and up to the judges / popped 4t to big double / 3a leaning in air - fell / flysit is very good / ftwrk into 3z which was lightly 2footed as seen on the replay / O ftwrk is just fantastic but the wind has been taken out of the crowd / cam ch cam is great with super layover pos / now strt ftwrk and the crowd is back into it – IMO the best strt ftwrk seq in the competition / combo spin is very good / oh boy. . . what are the judges going to do with this????

Brian Joubert FRA Start # 28
Ordinals 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3
Music: Time by Pink Floyd Black with gold gear design
4t not real steady on landing but held on 3t really tight but clean / 3a / great death drop into fast sit in good pos / music is building and the crowd is clapping fast / ftwrk into 3z / O ftwrk is great for the first half but second is turns mostly on 2 feet in the same direction / sit ch sit at boards in front of me looks good on screen / into strt ftwrk and the crowd is going crazy / Combo spin to end is very good /

Ilia Klimkin RUS Start # 29
Ordinals 4 6 7 7 8 8 10 10 11
Music: Swan Lake by Tchaikovskil Black or dark navy with silver on top and sleeves
Beautiful movement & chor to start it off / 3a turnout but stayed on one foot 2t / 4t on horrible outside lean – fell – no way he could land it / absolutely beautiful cam ch cam / 2a / O ftwrk is fast & really with music / combo spin is just great with his usual unique pos / diag ftwrk is great & goes well with the building music / fly cam lands perfectly on the beat of the music and is a gorgeous spin /

Stephane Lambiel SUI Start # 30
Ordinals 4 5 5 5 7 7 7 7 9
Music: Liberty by V Mae Black with white on collar & cuffs - maybe it’s really light green
3a / 4t fell you could almost see it in the air it wasn’t going to land / O ftwrk is wonderful – so flowy & with music / ftwrk 3f bit iffy on landing kind of on inside edge but held it and kept it clean / flycam is gorgeous / sit ch sit has incredible pos / S ftwrk is almost undescribable hits every note of the music perfectly / combo spin to end just top it off so well – I don’t know what to say, too bad about the 4t but everything else is so great that I’d still have him fairly high up there – probably ahead of Weiss even though Weiss was a 2ft and not a fall /

Rosaleen

Medalist
FPl. Name Nat. Points QB QA SP FS
1 Evgeni PLUSHENKO RUS 1.0 1 1
2 Brian JOUBERT FRA 2.0 2 2
3 Stefan LINDEMANN GER 3.0 3 3
4 Stephane LAMBIEL SUI 4.8 3 6
5 Michael WEISS USA 5.0 5 5
6 Johnny WEIR USA 5.2 7 4
7 Min ZHANG CHN 5.8 4 7
8 Ilia KLIMKIN RUS 6.2 2 9
9 Andrei GRIAZEV RUS 7.2 6 8
10 Frederic DAMBIER FRA 7.6 4 10
11 Emanuel SANDHU CAN 8.2 1 13
12 Chengjiang LI CHN 9.2 5 12
13 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN 9.4 7 11
14 Gheorghe CHIPER ROM 11.4 6 15
15 Ben FERREIRA CAN 12.0 9 14
16 Sergei DAVYDOV BLR 13.2 9 16
17 Matthew SAVOIE USA 14.2 10 17
18 Kevin VAN DER PERREN BEL 14.6 8 19
19 Ivan DINEV BUL 15.2 11 18
20 Gregor URBAS SLO 15.8 8 21
21 Tomas VERNER CZE 17.2 13 20
22 Yamato TAMURA JPN 18.0 12 22
23 Kristoffer BERNTSSON SWE 18.8 11 24
24 Neil WILSON GBR 19.4 14 23
25 Zoltan TOTH HUN 20.4 12 26
26 Ari-Pekka NURMENKARI FIN 20.6 14 25
27 Vitali DANILCHENKO UKR 21.4 10 29
28 Vakhtang MURVANIDZE GEO 22.0 13 28
29 Trifun ZIVANOVIC SCG 22.2 15 27
30 Juraj SVIATKO SVK 24.0 15 30
31 Patrick MEIER SUI 16
31 Dong-Whun LEE KOR 16
33 Sergei KOTOV ISR 17
33 Clemens JONAS AUT 17
35 Bradley SANTER AUS 18
35 Aidas REKLYS LTU 18
37 Yon GARCIA ESP 19
37 Pavel KERSHA BLR 19
39 Andrei DOBROKHODOV AZE 20
40 Miguel Angel MOYRON MEX 21
WD Gareth ECHARDT RSA

clarity1

Spectator
Men's Short

AHHHHHHHHHHHH what the heck happened to my man Emanuel Sandhu??? Looks like he completely fell apart! It's really sad to see, i am very disappointed, but i am sure he is kinda down about it as well. I wish him all the best in the long!

Christine

Kateri

On the Ice
Weir was great - I hadn't seen him before.

Matt Savoie needs to get a quad! I can't stand seeing such a lovely skater lost in the lower reaches....bleh.

Too bad for Klimkin and Lambiel though, and Sandhu - what a meltdown!

Can't believe someone gave Weiss 4.8 for tech merit - that has to be a joke! He usually irritates me, but he was better than that. At least he and Weir made the final group.

and....allow me this....yay for Neil Wilson! A British skater who didn't fall down (yet!).

k.

Ximena

Final Flight
YAY for Plush!! woohoo!! Too bad for Ilia, that was really bad... I wanted him to do soo good this time, and whata surprise Lindemann!

Thanks for the reports, they are great as usual