If Abbott had not screwed up would the U.S. be in contention for team silver? | Golden Skate

If Abbott had not screwed up would the U.S. be in contention for team silver?

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
If Abbott had not screwed up would the U.S. be in contention for team silver?

I think possibly... or at least only a few points behind Canada.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think possibly... or at least only a few points behind Canada.

If Jeremy was clean like at nationals he would have been in first place.
So yes I guess U.S would be in silver spot right now? I hope we can hold onto bronze.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Jeremy was clean like at nationals he would have been in first place.

I really don't think the international panel would have placed Abbott ahead of a clean Hanyu even if he replicated his Nationals performance. I think he would have been 2nd here in the team event as he does not have the international momentum or reputation of Yuzuru due to his inconsistency. Remember, this is the same kid that the ISU allowed to place ahead of a clean Chan in the GPF LP with a big fall.

louisa05

Final Flight
I think the best Abbott would have placed is fourth adding only three additional points and the U.S. would have still ended up just behind Canada.

This result was practically pre-ordained based on the strengths of each team in the competition in the four disciplines. That's a factor that may make the IOC reconsider it in the future.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No. We lacked a strong Pairs team and also are weaker in Men's. While we expected to beat the Canadian's in Ladies and Ice Dancing it wouldn't be enough to overcome the lead Canada would have in Men's and Pairs.

Matilda

Medalist
Yes. If Jeremy had skated like he did in the Nationals he would likely have been second in the men's short. That would make it a tie between the US and Canada. I'm not sure how the tie-breaker would work, but had the men's free been scored more accurately, the US would have got silver. (I would have had Machida ahead of Reynolds, as his spins, footwork, and presentation are better than those of Reynolds--and both ahead of Plushenko).

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Yes. If Jeremy had skated like he did in the Nationals he would likely have been second in the men's short. That would make it a tie between the US and Canada. I'm not sure how the tie-breaker would work, but had the men's free been scored more accurately, the US would have got silver. (I would have had Machida ahead of Reynolds, as his spins, footwork, and presentation are better than those of Reynolds--and both ahead of Plushenko).

Actually, Jeremy coming in second would have given the US the outright silver. The US would have gotten five extra points, i.e. 65 points total, and Canada would have lost one point, i.e. 64 points total.

Matilda

Medalist
Actually, Jeremy coming in second would have given the US the outright silver. The US would have gotten five extra points, i.e. 65 points total, and Canada would have lost one point, i.e. 64 points total.

Of course! Sorry about that. Lol, looks like I'd better not do anything that requires much of a brain today.

amc987

On the Ice
Yes. As other posters have said, Jeremy's Nationals SP would've placed him 2nd here behind only Yuzuru. The US would've had 9 points instead of 4 for the men's SP and that would've given us the silver. That also assumes that no one else would've bombed, though. Who knows how Ashley, Gracie, Jason, and Castelli/Shnapir would've done in that situation?

It's also worth noting that even though we got lowballed a bit in the ladies' SP and pairs LP (Ashley and C/S deserved higher placements, IMO), we were fortunate in the ladies' LP because Gracie skated well and the field was a bit depleted. So it really probably was Abbott's low score that made the difference and cost the US the silver overall.

Angryyew

Rinkside
To be fair tho, if we're gonna play ifs, if Chan had skated better a clean Jeremy likely still = bronze, so mostly he just failed to capitalize on Chan's mistakes.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
If every skater skated to the best of their ability the results would have been Russia, Canada, USA in that order. No point at crying over spilled milk, every team got the medal they deserved. Had Abbott somehow beaten Chan then the Canadians would be lamenting what would have happened had Chan skated well.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
I really don't think the international panel would have placed Abbott ahead of a clean Hanyu even if he replicated his Nationals performance. I think he would have been 2nd here in the team event as he does not have the international momentum or reputation of Yuzuru due to his inconsistency. Remember, this is the same kid that the ISU allowed to place ahead of a clean Chan in the GPF LP with a big fall.

Not solely due to reputation and momentum, but also because Hanyu's program is more difficult and his elements are of a higher quality. Don't know what the GPF LP has to do with this at all :frown: