Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: If Abbott had not screwed up would the U.S. be in contention for team silver?

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    414

    If Abbott had not screwed up would the U.S. be in contention for team silver?

    I think possibly... or at least only a few points behind Canada.

  2. #2
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    I think possibly... or at least only a few points behind Canada.
    If Jeremy was clean like at nationals he would have been in first place.
    So yes I guess U.S would be in silver spot right now? I hope we can hold onto bronze.

  3. #3
    "Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Storybrooke, Maine
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    If Jeremy was clean like at nationals he would have been in first place.
    I really don't think the international panel would have placed Abbott ahead of a clean Hanyu even if he replicated his Nationals performance. I think he would have been 2nd here in the team event as he does not have the international momentum or reputation of Yuzuru due to his inconsistency. Remember, this is the same kid that the ISU allowed to place ahead of a clean Chan in the GPF LP with a big fall.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    563
    I think the best Abbott would have placed is fourth adding only three additional points and the U.S. would have still ended up just behind Canada.

    This result was practically pre-ordained based on the strengths of each team in the competition in the four disciplines. That's a factor that may make the IOC reconsider it in the future.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,376
    No. We lacked a strong Pairs team and also are weaker in Men's. While we expected to beat the Canadian's in Ladies and Ice Dancing it wouldn't be enough to overcome the lead Canada would have in Men's and Pairs.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    355
    Yes. If Jeremy had skated like he did in the Nationals he would likely have been second in the men's short. That would make it a tie between the US and Canada. I'm not sure how the tie-breaker would work, but had the men's free been scored more accurately, the US would have got silver. (I would have had Machida ahead of Reynolds, as his spins, footwork, and presentation are better than those of Reynolds--and both ahead of Plushenko).

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    Yes. If Jeremy had skated like he did in the Nationals he would likely have been second in the men's short. That would make it a tie between the US and Canada. I'm not sure how the tie-breaker would work, but had the men's free been scored more accurately, the US would have got silver. (I would have had Machida ahead of Reynolds, as his spins, footwork, and presentation are better than those of Reynolds--and both ahead of Plushenko).
    Actually, Jeremy coming in second would have given the US the outright silver. The US would have gotten five extra points, i.e. 65 points total, and Canada would have lost one point, i.e. 64 points total.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjs5572 View Post
    Actually, Jeremy coming in second would have given the US the outright silver. The US would have gotten five extra points, i.e. 65 points total, and Canada would have lost one point, i.e. 64 points total.
    Of course! Sorry about that. Lol, looks like I'd better not do anything that requires much of a brain today.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    205
    Yes. As other posters have said, Jeremy's Nationals SP would've placed him 2nd here behind only Yuzuru. The US would've had 9 points instead of 4 for the men's SP and that would've given us the silver. That also assumes that no one else would've bombed, though. Who knows how Ashley, Gracie, Jason, and Castelli/Shnapir would've done in that situation?

    It's also worth noting that even though we got lowballed a bit in the ladies' SP and pairs LP (Ashley and C/S deserved higher placements, IMO), we were fortunate in the ladies' LP because Gracie skated well and the field was a bit depleted. So it really probably was Abbott's low score that made the difference and cost the US the silver overall.

  10. #10
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    87
    To be fair tho, if we're gonna play ifs, if Chan had skated better a clean Jeremy likely still = bronze, so mostly he just failed to capitalize on Chan's mistakes.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    128
    If every skater skated to the best of their ability the results would have been Russia, Canada, USA in that order. No point at crying over spilled milk, every team got the medal they deserved. Had Abbott somehow beaten Chan then the Canadians would be lamenting what would have happened had Chan skated well.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I really don't think the international panel would have placed Abbott ahead of a clean Hanyu even if he replicated his Nationals performance. I think he would have been 2nd here in the team event as he does not have the international momentum or reputation of Yuzuru due to his inconsistency. Remember, this is the same kid that the ISU allowed to place ahead of a clean Chan in the GPF LP with a big fall.
    Not solely due to reputation and momentum, but also because Hanyu's program is more difficult and his elements are of a higher quality. Don't know what the GPF LP has to do with this at all

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •