2014 Olympics Team Event Mens Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Mens Free Skate

Becki

Medalist
Machida deserved the win. I honestly thought he was the only one in the top three who really performed. Plush enjoy did a whole bunch of random posing and I have no clue what he was skating to..... Kevin had really nice jumps in the beginning but he needs a bit more mileage on his programs.

treeloving

Medalist
Am I the only one who think Plushenko pcs is much more horrible inflated than Julia? I means at least Julia has actual program.

The scoring was just absolutely appalling.

What the judges said was that it's enough for Plushenko to just turn up to get generous GOE and PCS in the high 8s, or 9s even.

He did land two exceptionally executed jumps (3axel and 3lutz - second and third jumping pass) but there rest were either 'just' ok or had slightly weak landings. Spins were very subpar (poorly extended positions, lack of rotation speed) and there wasn't much of a program to speak about. He stroked from one element into another and did some posing in between. There were hardly any transitions. He wasn't very fast to begin with but then after the halfway point, it became apparent stamina was an issue. He started to double jumps and his skating became noticeably slower. He still showed a decent posture, lines and carriage and lot of energy and confidence but PE was the only thing he had going for him.

For all of their strengths and weaknesses, Reynolds, Machida and Brown all showed actual programs - choreographed and executed to the music. Why did they bother? Why bother with more complex element layout, all that upper body movement performed in time with the music and connecting footwork when you can just stroke from jump to jump, wink at the judges and get high 8s or 9s. It's just a bloody insult to the skaters, coaches and choreographers who actually cared and who were in a physical shape good enough to execute both that and jumps.

Especially when you think of Reynolds. Watch him skating 4 years ago or so. He used to be all about jumps and his upper body movement was extremely awkward. He has worked very hard to improve his presentation and he got better programs.

Kudos to Plushenko for still being able to pull those performances out of his hat. But boy was he overscored. His spins were poor and he had no choreography. Something like 6.5 SS, 4 TR, 8.5 PE, 4 CH and 7 IN would have been more in line with reality.

Out of the five, I would give the win to Machida, Brown second on GOE and PCS, Reynolds third, Plushenko fourth with much lower GOE and PCS; and Parkinson a distant fifth.

What Marco said. Machida should have probably won with Brown second on GOE and PCS (if not first on the latter) but I guess coming third to Reynolds because of much lower BV. Plushenko should have been 4th.

I was like where to Reynolds come from??? I didn't get to see Canadian nationals and didn't see him in the Fall (was he injured?)....

He was out with injury.

yuki90

On the Ice
Machida deserved the win. I honestly thought he was the only one in the top three who really performed. Plush enjoy did a whole bunch of random posing and I have no clue what he was skating to..... Kevin had really nice jumps in the beginning but he needs a bit more mileage on his programs.

I agree, this scoring system in Sochi is ridiculous. Machida was stunning and he really feels the music not pretend to feel the music.

His jumps were much better than Plushenco except just one mistake.

When he finishes his programme with such a passion, the Russian crowd hardly applaud to him, I feel sorry for him.

If it was in US or Japan, even if their nationality is different, they should give a big applaud or standing ovation to Hanyu, Machida, Gracie, meryle and Charlie. I just hope Individuals is gonna be different from Team events.

lady_bee

Medalist
I feel terribly sorry for anyone who skated after russian skaters, especially Plushenco.
Olympic committee should do something to moderate the audience.

I am a huge fan of him, and I believe he is one of the best skater in history,
but I can't stand hearing "Russua! Russia!" all the time.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Am I the only one who very dissappointed because of the extremly cold "reaction" (if any) of the audience when a non-Russian skater performing?
Quadruple toe-loop (no reaction) Quadruple Salchos(almost no reaction) another great Quadruple Toe-loop, no reaction.
It was the same in all the segments of the competition.

Where is the Olympic spirit and atmosphere???????

gnom

On the Ice
Kudos to Plushenko for still being able to pull those performances out of his hat. But boy was he overscored. His spins were poor and he had no choreography. Something like 6.5 SS, 4 TR, 8.5 PE, 4 CH and 7 IN would have been more in line with reality.

Out of the five, I would give the win to Machida, Brown second on GOE and PCS, Reynolds third, Plushenko fourth with much lower GOE and PCS; and Parkinson a distant fifth.

You took the words out of my mouth. I agree on everything.

The weird judging starts marring the joy of Olympics.

WinterLily

Rinkside
With the way Plushenko is being 'oversocred' in this team event, he will be on the 'podium' in the singles event unfortunately. It is making me sick and makes me wonder whether I would even want to watch the rest of the 'Men's' event. The 'Men's' single event was the one I thought I was most looking forward to this Olympics. I thought it would be the most exciting event in this Olympics with the high levels of choreography from all the men and the technically superior jumps they can do. However, with the arrival of Plushenko and his endless preening and posing in front of the judges plus the 'obvious' over scoring, I feel so sorry for the rest of the men. If you were someone like Machida, Takahashi, Javier or Abbott who I think the Bronze is their grasp (while Yuzuru and Chan on the lock for Gold/Silver), the judging is extremely unfair and biased. These guys competed all through the season (garnering income for the ISU), trained hard, just to have a former Olympian with political favour to come in and overscore you with very little work on choreography and jumps that were 'just' enough. You would wonder what is the point, why not just hand to Plushenko the medal the judges wanted to give him while the rest have a 'legitimate' competition.

I watched Plushenko's SP, the PC marks were way overscored. His LP choreopgraphy consist of contorted deformed like posture, heavy twisting and fidgeting of arms. Some of his poses remind me of a 'drag queen' - just plain awful. They were nothing like the 'balletic' style of Machida, 'smoothness' of Abbott and the 'interpretative' choereography of Daisuke, let alone that of Yuzuru and Chan. I was a fan of Plushenko when he was a great skater but to see him skate like this is simply embarassing. Then to be awarded those inflated marks is unwatchable. His PC was 43 for the SP, for very little edge work, dance material nor interpretative content. At this moment, my heart goes out to Chan, Hanyu, Daisuke, Machida, and the rest of the men, all these last 4 years of hard training, competing in the GPS, etc. just to have this cocky, arrogant and shallow individual turn up and rob your chances of a medal is belittling. Plushenko doesn't have the grace to let others nor his younger countrymen the chance for a great Olympic. It has to be all about him, all the time. My prayers go to Chan, Hanyu, Machida and the rest. At this Olympics, they know they are by far the better skaters. Fans will admire them for that.

I couldn't agree more. I feel very sorry for the men, I was so disappointed yesterday. And the audience is too annoying, applauding just the Russians. Very, very disappointing Men's Event. Thank you for this beautiful post.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
When I finished watching Plushenkos programme, I was wondering if he had done enought to beat Jasaon Brown nevermind win the event. I was never really a fan but it was good to see him back competing however the level of overscoring is crazy. I would have had him 3rd very close to Brown and a long way behind Reynolds and Machida (who was robbed of victory). It would be a scandal if he was to make the individual podium, he doesn't seem to have the stamina for the long programme, he was really slowing down towards the end of the programme.

I have to agree about the audience, unless it's a Russian skating they don't seem to bother. The only non-Russian performance they went with was Kostner.

marcolee925

Rinkside
Machida should have probably won with Brown second on GOE and PCS (if not first on the latter) but I guess coming third to Reynolds because of much lower BV. Plushenko should have been 4th.

I meant I would put Brown second due to GOE and PCS. I would have him win TR, CH and IN by a mile. I would have Machida win SS and maybe PE too.

I accept Brown losing to Reynolds overall due to BV but I guess it also depends on levels and GOEs as well as how much you believe Brown should be ahead of Reynolds on PCS. I have to rewatch to see if Brown's sal and 2nd axel were in fact <. Overall I still prefer Brown (but OK I am biased).

The whole thing is sour BECAUSE Russia didn't need the crazy, unreasonable scores for Plushenko and Lipnitskaya to win. If Plushenko were rightfully placed in the short and free and Lipnitskaya too, Russia would still have won the gold rather comfortably.

Brown winning TR, CH and IN by a mile and Machida winning SS and PE sounds about right.

Yeah, I don't know. Depending how the scores would play out, I could live with top 3 in any order, really.

I just see absolutely no justification for Plushenko placing higher than 4th. Not on the TES given the doubled jumps, only two combos and poor quality of execution and obviously not on the PCS. Not just because the program was so basic but also because of the fact he run out of steam and really slowed down in the second half.

TMC

Record Breaker
Reading the protocols for Plushenko, Machida & Brown almost makes me physically sick. 9.14 for both interpretation and execution vs. 8.32/8.54 and 7.93/8.11??? CH 8.79 vs Brown's 7.96?? Choreography, WHAT choreography? I saw none. So bloody unfair.

TMC

Record Breaker
Oh and I totally agree that the audience is not responsive at all. I've followed figure skating (and other sports) since forever and the attitude of the Russians towards other countries' performances has changed so much it's unbelieveable. I've travelled there a lot and even spent some time in the country as an exchange student in the mid-90s and it seems like they're a completely different people now. They've always been proud of their own and often rightly so, but they also used to appreciate a good performance and show it, now it's just blah whatever. I wonder if they're pissed off because the rest of the (western) world is "making a fuss" about their caveman laws?

WinterLily

Rinkside
Oh and I totally agree that the audience is not responsive at all. I've followed figure skating (and other sports) since forever and the attitude of the Russians towards other countries' performances has changed so much it's unbelieveable. I've travelled there a lot and even spent some time in the country as an exchange student in the mid-90s and it seems like they're a completely different people now. They've always been proud of their own and often rightly so, but they also used to appreciate a good performance and show it, now it's just blah whatever. I wonder if they're pissed off because the rest of the (western) world is "making a fuss" about their caveman laws?

Yeah, I know. I'm pretty sure most of them were just there as a job, I mean, you know they pay people to be in the audience. So I guess there were lots of people who never even watched figure skating before. I'm sure the real Russian figure skating fans aren't like that. Unfortunately politics is ruining these Olympics, at least as far as figure skating is concerned.

TMC

Record Breaker
Yeah, I know. I'm pretty sure most of them were just there as a job, I mean, you know they pay people to be in the audience. So I guess there were lots of people who never even watched figure skating before. I'm sure the real Russian figure skating fans aren't like that. Unfortunately politics is ruining these Olympics, at least as far as figure skating is concerned.

Could well be. Still, figure skating is and has been an incredibly popular sport in Russia. The tics must cost an arm and a skate tho.

babyskate

On the Ice
I also feel Jason was under scored but was really disappointed in Tara and Johnny's commentary. I feel they were too critical saying he lacked energy and looked tight. They did not say much positive afterwards. He had an enormous smile his whole program and really tried to sell it to a less than enthusiastic audience. Yes it wasn't his best, but it was still great. I did not get to hear Scott's commentary from the prime time broadcast. Can someone tell me if Scott was more positive in his words afterwards.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Jason was really nervous here, his smiles were rehearsed after his FS
though I agree he was a bit undermarked

WinterLily

Rinkside
:thumbsup: yeah BBC commentators liked him a lot:) I really LOVE Jason, I personally think he has everything, and he's so enjoyable to watch. Last night wasn't as wonderful as at Nats, but I agree it was still a great skate. Hope he can peak in a few days, really rooting for him. Also, could someone tell me where I can watch Jeremy's performance? unfortunately I missed it. Thanks!

What a horrible thing to say.

BBC's announcers at least were very kind and genuinely seemed to root for Jason :)

babyskate

On the Ice
Jason was really nervous here, his smiles were rehearsed after his FS
though I agree he was a bit undermarked

I feel his smiles and performance were genuine. He is a kid who loves to skate and entertain and also is a great competitor. Nerves are normal but he skated through the nerves.