Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: American Idol 3/23

Custom Woman
    Twinnie, that post was GREAT! And to not have at least SOME of that knowledge is exactly why I said last week that I thought we were starting to see cracks in Simon's abilities, especially as a producer. (This post is kind of spanning the last two weeks.) Toni responded (I sound like Seacrest doing the recap; sorry Toni, lol!) that Simon was there to judge the whole package. ITA. I hope they're ALL there to judge the whole package. But a major part of the whole package is how well they sing and if you can't hear a thing as basic as when a singer is off-pitch, what the hell are you doing being a record producer? Do something else in music, but don't be the key person between the singer and the finished product. Legendary producers such as Phil Spector and George Martin literally changed the way we hear music when the right talent came along. Of course I don't expect every producer to be able to do that, but I think you've got to know the mechanics of what brings the best out of a singer so you can help guide him/her in putting together an album. Otherwise it's just hit-or-miss and short careers.

But Rgal, that explanation of the "gift spot" for a voice (hmm, G spot?) is a classic example. Jasmine has a great voice and of all the contestants, she has the best communication, IMO. But Tues. night she sounded awful. You could both hear and see her straining to make the song work. It was as if even she was confused, like, "Why does this sound and feel so bad?" She even looked distracted by it. I did not hear her go off key, but at first I thought it was what Randi said, that the song was in the wrong key for her. But your explanation is the only one that makes sense. Not only because of how bad Jasmine sounded but also of how great Amy sounded. "Sin Wagon" is an all low-to-middle register song and it's also apparently where Amy's G spot is (okay, I'm sorry--you know me). Seriously, at least on that song, Amy reminded me of KD Lang and that is no small compliment.

Speaking of no small compliment, MAN, I was so impressed by Kimberly Locke. I was sort of ho-hum about her last season but, wow, nothing like experience and determination. She looked like she'd had 10 years experience in the last 12 months or whatever it's been. GOOD FOR KIM!

Everybody covered everybody and my feelings haven't changed much about people from my monster post last week. Except, about Fantasia and Simon: Simon said she looked like her mother dressed her and that's when she went off with what I thought was a very funny "Simon, you just don't understand class!" BTW, according to TV GUIDE, the contestants are INSTRUCTED by the AI producers to disagree with the judges, especially Simon, if they say something negative to them. Apparently the producers know that this is what the audience loves and I think they're right. Had Simon not added the "And you look like your mother dressed you" (I mean, come on; he knows all you have to do to get a rise out of somebody, especially somebody like Fantasia, is say "yo mama") and just complimented her with, "Don't get too old," it would have seemed rude. But Simon clearly threw down the gauntlet and I thought Fantasia responded perfectly. She knows she's a funky chick from the south and that it's going to be funny to hear her tell the "proper Englishman" he doesn't know class. I laughed. She's just confident. And she should be. She is all that, lol.

Since it's all over and Matt is gone, for which I'm glad though I do give him props for the best sing out, I won't go through my list except to say Amy won the night, with LaToya an acceptable but not great second. And one other thing. I thought I was imagining things with JPL. When he didn't start doing the funky chicken, I thought, "Whew! Now I can actually listen and watch him." But Randi was right! JPL loses his voice when he stands still. Dancing like an idiot is to JPL's singing as Samson's hair is to his strength. Go figure. America may love him, but definitely not my type. Also, couldn't help but notice that Jennifer Hudson had a major makeover. I love her voice. It's so low it's different, though I haven't heard her G spot yet

So Twinnie, I guess you didn't see my last week's AI post where I talked about why I don't get George. Could you please explain what's good about him for me?
    Rgirl
    PS Looks like America is catching on at least somewhat to Diana. I bet if she went out and failed miserably at a few things she might make a really interesting singer in about five or 10 years. I can't blame her, actually, since she's only 16 and I think she's only doing what she's been rewarded for all her life. I do blame her teachers, however, and perhaps her parents if they took her away from teachers who wanted more than power lungs.

Skating Freak Barbie
    I think Amy was the best of the night, with LaToya very close behind. Amy is the ONLY one who bothered to make it sound country. I think Camille was really gifted by being given another week. Was sad to see Matt go...he didn't have the greatest voice, but he seemed sweet, and what a classy send off.

Fantasia, on the other side, wouldn't know class if it stood up and slapped her....GRRRRR.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    I was actually quite surprised to see Camille and Diana in the bottom 3, even though they were both in my personal bottom 3 for that episode; I thought they would have both had enough fan support behind them (in the case of Camille, I have NO IDEA why) to squeak through. As for Matt, I think Simon said it best -- Tuesday night should have been HIS night, but he ruined it by choosing the wrong song. That is one case where he should have gone with the safe and predictable; had he done some Garth Brooks type barn-burner instead of going the sappy and whiny route, he would have been safe another week and then hopefully Camille would have been gonged. (Actually, in some cases I think the Gong Show motif would be a great idea with some of these people)

As for Jennifer -- great voice, but she has yet to choose a song that showcases it very well. I think that one of these nights, tho, she's going to finally choose just the right song and blow everyone away.

Toni responded (I sound like Seacrest doing the recap; sorry Toni, lol!) that Simon was there to judge the whole package. ITA.
    LOL!!! Seacrest, OUT!

I hope they're ALL there to judge the whole package. But a major part of the whole package is how well they sing and if you can't hear a thing as basic as when a singer is off-pitch, what the hell are you doing being a record producer?
    I think what Simon meant was in the "stage/arena" that they're in and where they're positioned it's VERY HARD TO HEAR because they are SO LOUD. That's why he told Camille that he thought that when she watched herself on TV she would sound very flat. I've read several reviews of people who have gone and they've said depending on where you sit you can't tell anything because your ears are ringing because of how loud the whole thing is.

However, even if that's not what he meant... SIMON, I believe, was part of the marketing, not the overall production, of singers... last year he was all about marketability over talent(Ruben vs Clay) and I just get the vibe that that's where his "talent" is.

anyway on to last night

I did NOT see that coming. Matt was not the best, but he certainly shouldn't be going home before Camille... and Jennifer so should have been in the bottom three... or at least Jasmine because of their *Simon moment* horrid renditions of those two awesome songs. I do have to say that while I never liked him in the competition... his "farewell" piece that they created felt very "real" which is a first for Matt... and his reaction to it all was very real... so yeah, he kinda won me over on the night that he wouldn't be on the show anymore... and I LOVED the change of the song... Paula and Randy loved it... and Simon looked like he was embarassed....
    oh well... as long as John stays in the game...

[color=teal]Oh, Twinnie! I am SO sorry! I meant to answer your question about George last week but I forgot! Moo on me!

George is like the Bette Midler of American Idol. Not the greatest singer but incredibly entertaining with a natural ability to make the audience feel good. He is also one of the only singers we've heard with a true bass voice--unique voice types are always intriguing. But my first explanation above is what will guide him to the final four.

Incidentally, I nearly spit up when Simon ragged on him for his lack of individual style, saying that he should be more like Reuben in terms of individuality. Hey, the guy wore an XXXXXL football jersey with a number on it, week in and week out. Oh, yeah, real unique. Every week I just couldn't wait to see what Reuben would wear... NOT!

Also, I thought it absurd that Simon said he had nothing to say about Amy because he didn't understand the style of country music. Gee, that didn't stop him from commenting on, criticizing or lauding the ten previous singers!
    [/color]

LOL!

actually I think it was meant for a comment... AND I also think he didn't understand the song... like last year with Josh Gracin... he said the same thing when it came to "Ain't Goin Down Till The Sun Comes Up" it's a fast paced country song, you can't understand it LOL

just some thoughts, can you tell I like Simon?

(though yeah, I did find the George vs style comment funny... Last year Simon praised Clay for taking the advice... I think George should do the same as Clay leave it all up to the fasion gods that be! LOL)

so did anyone else think Simon was flipping the camera off the other night? that was a big controversy on other boards, but no one mentioned it here.

OK, now that I have more memory installed in my computer I can FINALLY read this page -- for some reason, there was something about this page that was stalling the thing out every time.

You know, it's funny -- I did notice during the set-to with Fantasia when they cut to him that he had his middle finger rather prominent and I briefly for just a split second thought Oh, surely he is NOT...... but then didn't think another thing about it until the controversy hit the next day. I honestly don't think he was. As much time as he has to spend sitting, and as much as he likes to prop his head up on his hands, there are going to be variations of position. Plus, he's a smoker. As a smoker myself, I can tell you that if I had his job and had to sit there for however long he has to sit there in the non-smoking building, I'd be using every possible sitting position/head-propping variation known to man. Tho he is just sly enough, that on a certain subliminal level.....:D

he was on Ryan's talk show the next day and he said that he didn't think anything of it because in England they use two fingers to flip someone off... he said just think of a reverse peace sign (?) so I tend to believe him, even if he IS a jerk a lot of the time on camera, from what I've heard/read it's an act(for the most part) to keep the ratings up LOL

Very interesting. Now I'm going to have to start renting a bunch of British movies in the hope that in one of them there's a scene where someone flips someone off just so I can see what he's talking about.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2