2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Free Skate | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Free Skate

tulosai

Record Breaker

Great post! I don't agree with it 100% but very well thought out. Here would be my breakdown (similar to yours, actually

Julia Lipnitskaya

SS- 7.00
TR- 7.50
PE- 8.00
CH- 8.00
IN- 8.25

Gracie Gold

SS- 8.25 or 8.5
TR- 7.75
PE- 7.00
CH- 6.75
IN- 7.00

cheerio2

On the Ice
tulosai said:
You need not like it, and you need not like her, but these are the facts.

The facts are that Julia did NOT elicit a strong emotional reaction from many people, including many people in this very thread. Just because you use an emotionally heavy piece of music like Schindler's List does not = good artistry. At the end of the day, Schindler's List has nothing to do with triple jumps and flexible spins. If you take away the sad faces and Schindler's List music and ask people exactly what part of the choreography reminded them of Schindler's List, most if not all wouldn't be able to point it out, and that's a fact.

I think Julia is a rising star, she's got the technical goods and her artistry is decent, but nothing spectacular at this point.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Julia is setting herself up for gold...plain and simple. She's putting the pressure on Yu-Na to skate cleanly. It's still Yu-Na's medal to lose but one mistake could open the door wide enough for Julia to come in. That 69+ she got in PCS in the FS is likely to rise to 70 or 71 (if not higher) if she replicates that performance in the individual event. She already has a higher base value than Yu-Na and now Julia's getting massive +GOE (+2s and +3s) on every element. Yu-Na's margin for error just got a lot smaller.

I don't agree with the overscoring of Julia but I can't argue with her placement. I think Gracie was fairly scored considering what she did but Julia was grossly overscored. If Gracie's program was 129+ Julia should have come in around 131 or 132...141+ is absolutely ridiculous and gives me a good idea of what I can expect from the scoring in these Games. Look at Plushenko's PCS...it's complete an utter bull excrement. I won't even bother to get upset with the results in these competitions...there's just no point. :disapp:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's a good thing I got a refill of my blood pressure medication. I'm going to need it in the days ahead.

Selene

On the Ice
Except, Julia got better GOE on jumps, tulosai, including on a direct comparison 3Lz+3T. Julia got an additional point there alone which I don't see as justifiable. That is one of the complaints of the TES overscoring

Gracie had a stiff landing on her combo. She did not deserve much positive GOE for it. I think what also hurts her GOE is that she has no flow or speed coming out of her jumps. For example,her 3S-2T-2T was bad, because she had no speed coming out of the 3S to add both 2Ts.

I think Gracie was scored relatively fairly. She was bad on the Grand Prix circuit and has not earned a lot of respect from the judges due to her inconsistency. She has not done anything to prove that she deserves to be in the mix for a medal.

In contrast, Julia has amazing consistency, but she was blatantly overscored beyond all fairness. Her LP score was the third highest of all time. Did she really deserve that for a skate that even she admitted was not perfect? The politicking is obvious in her inflated GOEs and PCS. Her skating skills are being judged as being in the same league as Kostner and Asada. The reality is that she is not in their league as a skater and the judges are inflating her marks to get a Russian on the podium in Sochi (it will be either her or Sotnikova, who has inflated marks as well.)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Some judges think Julia's SS is .5 or .25 better than Mao, Carolina. Those judges need to be banned for life.

flor87

Spectator
Hello! I'm new to this forum. I enjoyed many of the ladies programs. But I am glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Julia was way overscored. I have nothing against her personally. I think she' s a very courageous little girl and her performance was phenomenal. But I don't think she's nearly as good as Mao Asada , Yuna Kim, Kostner or even Gold. While I thought her performance was good and she doesn't fall, I think her jumps are not high enough or strong enough. Also in between jumps I feel she just moves herself and her arms arround a lot, but lacks the connection both Asada and Kim have with the music. Again while I have nothing against her, I don't want to see figure skating turn into gymnastics on skates. And that's exactly what I think she does. She's very elastic and spins arround so much ( she's 15 and Russian lol), but it's not enough IMO for her to win the gold. She's very young and has a lot of potential, but she still has to work on the artistic side. And that'ss what I think makes the difference between medalists and non medalists.

Personally I think Yuna Kim is still the better one, even if she hasn't competed as much lately. I think if there's anyone who should get the gold it's her. But if Mao Asada get's it I'll be happy too :) Like a farewell prize lol.
That said, I have heard many people say Julia is the best, but I think that's because those who have no clue about the sport think that the more you spin the better you are. And if that were the case, we would have plenty of little girls in the Olympics instead of really mature skaters.
Just my two cents.

I can't wait for next week :)

sweetskates1

Medalist
I agree that Julia was massively overscored! Nice to meet you on these boards. Enjoy your time here - we are like a dysfunctional family with codependency and love-hate issues. I agree that Gracie, Mao, Carolina and Yuna are all better. Gracie does not have the international rep yet, Mao fell on her 3axel, Yuna has a lot to prove still and Carolina only debuted her sp. I believe that Mao will land at least a triple axel and make a very minor mistake, that Carolina will skate perfect programs, that Yuna will skate perfect programs as well while Julia will implode.

Hello! I'm new to this forum. I enjoyed many of the ladies programs. But I am glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Julia was way overscored. I have nothing against her personally. I think she' s a very courageous little girl and her performance was phenomenal. But I don't think she's nearly as good as Mao Asada , Yuna Kim, Kostner or even Gold. While I thought her performance was good and she doesn't fall, I think her jumps are not high enough or strong enough. Also in between jumps I feel she just moves herself and her arms arround a lot, but lacks the connection both Asada and Kim have with the music. Again while I have nothing against her, I don't want to see figure skating turn into gymnastics on skates. And that's exactly what I think she does. She's very elastic and spins arround so much ( she's 15 and Russian lol), but it's not enough IMO for her to win the gold. She's very young and has a lot of potential, but she still has to work on the artistic side. And that'ss what I think makes the difference between medalists and non medalists.

Personally I think Yuna Kim is still the better one, even if she hasn't competed as much lately. I think if there's anyone who should get the gold it's her. But if Mao Asada get's it I'll be happy too :) Like a farewell prize lol.
That said, I have heard many people say Julia is the best, but I think that's because those who have no clue about the sport think that the more you spin the better you are. And if that were the case, we would have plenty of little girls in the Olympics instead of really mature skaters.
Just my two cents.

I can't wait for next week :)

AngelENTL

On the Ice
I was captivated by Yulia Lipnitskaya when I first saw her early this season. But now that I've seen the programs a few times, they're starting to feel... I don't know, just soooooo dramatic and sullen that they're almost campy (drawing the heart on ice and the looking up at the roll of thunder are particularly egregious examples...). So I don't agree that the programs are that choreographically strong, as I don't think they will stand the test of time, but they are a great vehicle to elicit a strong response from audiences who are seeing her for the first time - i.e. a huge proportion of the viewing public.

Ven

Match Penalty
The judges should be investigated for bribery and corruption. There, I said it. Julia deserved to win FS but the scoring was not lawful according to IJS.

Russian judge gave her Level 4 +3 perfect score for final traveling spin.

Many judges gave +2 for her horrible 2A.

Skating skills were scored ahead of elite skaters when this is one of her weaknesses.

etc. etc.

vegarin

On the Ice
Some judges think Julia's SS is .5 or .25 better than Mao, Carolina. Those judges need to be banned for life.

Seriously? That actually happened?

Honest to God, it really is disappointing and frightening.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
I actually thought she had improved on her Euro 2014 skate but after watching it I was disappointed. First and foremost her jump layout, I just don't like the 2A-3T-2T right after the 3Lz-3T in the first half. The one she did at Euro's was more well balanced but I suppose that came because of the wobble 2A and instead had to do a 2A-3T and 3Lz-2T-2T in the second half. The second thing is her jumps this time were terrible. I think most of her jumping passes had problems(bad landings and poor air positions). This is definetely not a 140+ performance.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I thought lipnitskaya was too stressed, first half she was rushing, kudos though for skating in front if crazy home crowd when she was waiting to enter arena Plushy went and talked to her, while she was skating he snd Trankov were shouting to her. The most cheering team was USA , they looked like having the best of fun!!
Akikok stole my heart her program costume everything are awesome!!!

desertskates

Medalist
It's a good thing I got a refill of my blood pressure medication. I'm going to need it in the days ahead.
Hope you picked up something to help you sleep, too. I know I did while I anticipate Sky Fly's reaction when Gracie places 6th or 7th overall in individuals. I kid, I kid :) But overall I thought Julia skated extremely well. She appears SO small, but in a picture standing next to Ashley, they are the same height. I think muscle mass and power will come with age. I enjoy Gracie's skate, and you can't argue with clean, but it left me a bit cold as others have said. Frank did a great job it cultivating the cool ice princess thing, but it may have been taken too far. I just wish them all well, I hate to see young hearts broken.
:popcorn:

tokugawaice

Rinkside
Sorry if this was earlier in the thread, but where is the evidence that Mao is reworking her LP? Any reports on where she's practicing right now?

yuki

Final Flight
I haven't stayed very up to date but I think Mao is practicing in Armenia at the moment.

Yes, she's in Armenia. Akiko is also there, IIRC. I haven't heard anything about her reworking her LP, though (except for the news about taking out one 3A).

usethis2

Medalist
I agree with the criticism of Russian crowds but just at times. Like the scores coming up. Those people paid a lot of money and a lot are swept up in the event and I have a hard time faulting them. I say if it only happens in the team event and not in the individual medals then so what. Golf does it with the presidents cup.
Really. You volunteer to invite others so that you can bully them? I hope that is not how you live your life.

I haven't read the whole thread but there is a disgusting person (some kind of a creep, I won't name names.) so I stopped reading. It is disturbing, to say the least.