2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Free Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Free Skate

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
o_O

Julia got 141 despite that sloppy 3-2 combo at the end. Her landing on a few jumps could be better.
If she goes super clean, she's at the same level as Yuna with score. O___________________________O

I'm scared.

And Yuna had endurance issue for her LP during the Korean Nationals. :eek:
The Gold is hers to lose.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This scoring is a disgrace. Gracie got higher PCS in the SP then Julia did at Skate Canada and now Julia is almost 8 points higher? ***?

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I thought Gracie was over-marked !.
Yes, technically amazing but her artistry was as cold as the ice she was skating on.
Julia really lived her free skate & showed such emotion.
I'm not a big Julia fan but I really enjoyed her skating today.
If Gracie was Russian & Julia was American I think some of you would see it differently.
Can't you look past the flag-bias & just enjoy the skating ?.
Akiko was WAY under-marked on the artistry but was really nervous.
Good luck to her in the ladies.

Krislite

Medalist
Gracie's 7-triple LP scored under 130 while Julia's scored over 140. Hah! The Russian bias is so overt.

Julia's score is shockingly high. Granted, a clean Yuna can still score a bit higher (148-150), but that leaves her with little room for error.

gnom

On the Ice
The overscoring of Julia Lipnitskaia has reached an insane level. She's a little girl with small jumps who skates with no emotion, but she is being scored like Yuna Kim. Given her consistency and boosted PCS, I think Julia is a lock for at least the silver medal. And if Kim makes any mistake, Julia could win the whole event. That just blows my mind.The insanely boosted scoring for all Russian skaters has seriously marred my enjoyment of this competition.

I totally agree. My excitement of Olympics is overshadowed by the unfair judging. It is not just obvious in the ladies free but in all disciplines. However the boost level rose IMO from +5/+10 Russian bonus in the SP to +15 points bonus in todays ladies and men FS.

zamboni step

Final Flight
How are Julia's jumps getting higher GOE than Gracie's? Seriously.

Yes, technically amazing but her artistry was as cold as the ice she was skating on.
If Gracie was Russian & Julia was American I think some of you would see it differently.
Good luck to her in the ladies.

Well I'm not American nor Russian, and I can say that the only time I saw Julia really go for a program was Euros FS. Gracie didn't deserve the win with the lesser technical difficulty and inferior Choreography but her SS, TR and jumps are better than Julia's. I think 129 was a fair score for Gracie but Julia should only have scored 130.

Also Akiko lacked her usual spark, she was scored higher PCS than Marchei who I thought deserved highest PCS of the night, TR or not.

badknees

Medalist

Look past the bias? Why should we do that? Just except that the judges are not applying the same rules to all skaters regardless of country? If Julia is flutzing or her jumps are low and shouldn't have the GOE they are giving her, then why should we except the judges are ignoring one particular skaters mistakes?

gnom

On the Ice
The overscoring of Julia Lipnitskaia has reached an insane level. She's a little girl with small jumps who skates with no emotion, but she is being scored like Yuna Kim. Given her consistency and boosted PCS, I think Julia is a lock for at least the silver medal. And if Kim makes any mistake, Julia could win the whole event. That just blows my mind.The insanely boosted scoring for all Russian skaters has seriously marred my enjoyment of this competition.

So true. My excitement of Olympics is overshadowed by the unfair judging. It is not just obvious in the ladies free but in all disciplines. However the boost level rose IMO from +5/+10 Russian bonus in the SP to +15 bonus in ladies and men's FS.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anybody know when will the medal ceremony will take place?

One victory ceremony for team skating already took place in the arena.
Photo of the three top teams on the podium (from the ISU's Facebook page):

But possible that a second victory ceremony will take place outside. [ETA: And it is the subject of your question, I believe.]
I don't know when. Does anyone else know??
(In the case of the men's slopestyle event, I think [but am not at all sure] that the outdoor victory ceremony took place the day after the competition??)

There is a special feature of the Winter Olympic Games. Victory Ceremonies can be held not only at the venue immediately after the event, but also at the special Medals Plaza. At the Games in Sochi this plaza will be located in the center of the Olympic Park. If the ceremony is to be held at the Medals Plaza, the athletes receive flowers at the sports venue, but the other elements of the ceremony are carried out at the Medals Plaza.
http://www.sochi2014.com/en/spectators-ceremonies/ceremoniya-nagrazhdeniya

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I totally agree. My excitement of Olympics is overshadowed by the unfair judging. It is not just obvious in the ladies free but in all disciplines. However the boost level rose IMO from +5/+10 Russian bonus in the SP to +15 points bonus in todays ladies and men FS.

So you'd put Gracie ahead of Julia. Come on. Ill admit Julia was over scored. You have to admit Gracie was too. Neither skated their full potential. I think in a fair world Julia clean as a whistle should be 135-140 with the later being over the top amazing lights out. I see Gracie close to that at 130-135 same standards apply. I would not score Julia a 126 as you suggest.:bang: It's pointless to counter bias with more bias.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Well done Julia!!! This little girl is so brave and really talented on the ice. She handled olympic pressure very well so far. Especially with a responsibility of team event, she did her best. I agree her score is a little bit high but Julia was at this level since the beginning of olympic season and put herself as a favorite since Skate Canada. Her PCS improved in each competition. I think people should leave their emotions then enjoy the talent and success of this 15 years old lady. Nobody came close to her determination for the olympics and nerves of steel whole season long. Hope she achieves more of success not only in the individiual event but also for the coming years.:)

badknees

Medalist
isn't it a slap in the face to Sotnikova, the current Russian ladies champ to not use her in the team event?

andyjo24

Medalist
I am not a fan of Julia by any means. Her jumps are very low (Her 2A technique is horrible, she flutzes, she always muscles out the 3toe in the combos), and yet she is getting as much GOEs as Yu-na who has jumps that just fly across the ice. But man, I have to respect her for her amazing consistency. Her consistency is just unbelievable. I am a huge, huge, huge Yu-na fan, and I am actually afraid that Yu-na might lose the gold if she makes a few mistakes due to Julia's consistency.

I now wonder if Julia will go clean again in the individual event. My guts tell me that there's a 90% chance that she'll go clean, but you just never know I guess.. I can't wait for the individual competition! It would be crazy if Yu-na and Julia happen to skate back to back in the free!

Selene

On the Ice
So you'd put Gracie ahead of Julia. Come on. Ill admit Julia was over scored. You have to admit Gracie was too. Neither skated their full potential. I think in a fair world Julia clean as a whistle should be 135-140 with the later being over the top amazing lights out. I see Gracie close to that at 130-135 same standards apply. I would not score Julia a 126 as you suggest.:bang: It's pointless to counter bias with more bias.

I don't think Gracie was overscored. I'm not even her fan, but I thought her performance was on the same level as Julia's. Yet, she received 12 points less.

Julia got 125 points for a similar skate/performance at the Grand Prix final. Her (and Adelina's) scores only started going through the roof at Europeans. The judges boosted their PCS to Kostner and Asada levels (with no visible improvement in their actual skating) in preparation for the Olympics.

The scoring in the team event has been the most biased, one-sided judging I have seen at a major competition (and that's saying something, considering some of Chan's inflated scores.) This is politicking at its worst.

I think Julia is good, but nowhere near the level of Asada, Kim, and Kostner. And she is receiving similar PCS and the GOEs are being inflated for her small jumps (I have to laugh at some of the +2s for her awful axel.)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@Badknees

I think Russia made golden choices in terms of using single skaters for both and changing the pairs and ice dancers. I don't even think Adelina is in Sochi yet either but if she were to have skated it would have been the SP. Julia clearly was a better bet, not unlike Marai and Ashley. Gotta give credit to both Ashley and Gracie for skating so strong.

Did anyone notice Ashley when Gracie's scores came up. I was wrong about Scott sounding biased last night and have since apologized so maybe I'm just bad at first takes but I thought I sensed something in that kiss and cry. Hope I need not apologize again:slink:

andyjo24

Medalist
isn't it a slap in the face to Sotnikova, the current Russian ladies champ to not use her in the team event?

Yes, I was so surprised to see Julia skate the FS. I was expecting Sotnikova to skate it...... She certainly deserves to based on her win in Russian Nationals and second place at Europeans. She was robbed of a gold medal. She must be feeling terrible right now.

elif

Medalist
I am not a fan of Julia by any means. Her jumps are very low (Her 2A technique is horrible, she flutzes, she always muscles out the 3toe in the combos), and yet she is getting as much GOEs as Yu-na who has jumps that just fly across the ice. But man, I have to respect her for her amazing consistency. Her consistency is just unbelievable. I am a huge, huge, huge Yu-na fan, and I am actually afraid that Yu-na might lose the gold if she makes a few mistakes due to Julia's consistency.

I now wonder if Julia will go clean again in the individual event. My guts tell me that there's a 90% chance that she'll go clean, but you just never know I guess.. I can't wait for the individual competition! It would be crazy if Yu-na and Julia happen to skate back to back in the free!

I love both Yu-Na and Julia too. They both are very consistent skaters with very good TES. I think Yu-Na is only skater to beat Lipnitskaia on technical mark. Ladies event just bacome more interesting. :)

fadeevfan

Rinkside
I'm not a Julia fan for all the obvious reasons -- it's such small skating -- but I'm dazzled by her consistency. I don't buy all the politicking charges -- scores seem to go up with skaters deliver time and again (fairly or not), and Julia's been doing just that. The GOE on her jumps -- that puny DA! -- are ludicrous. But boy is she solid.

Gracie's score and performance, to me, is a pretty big deal. Keep in mind, she's never had a huge international performance before, so she's not going to automatically crack 130. With this, the stage is set for her to really pop in the individual events. She can clean that LP up quite a bit. I didn't really see her as a medal threat this year, but now -- with Mao looking unready, Carolina/Ashley not getting the usual pcs boost, Yuna always a mystery, Akiko dinged for URs -- I think she's right in it.

Big question marks: Adelina and Kanako. . .