2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Free Skate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Free Skate

zamboni step

Final Flight
Yes, I was so surprised to see Julia skate the FS. I was expecting Sotnikova to skate it...... She certainly deserves to based on her win in Russian Nationals and second place at Europeans. She was robbed of a gold medal. She must be feeling terrible right now.

She really should have skated there, she couldn't have done much to hurt their standings, and she was National Champion, she deserved a medal.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Scores in this event are so ridiculous. I'm so glad there are no Russian judges on the individual event.

elif

Medalist
She really should have skated there, she couldn't have done much to hurt their standings, and she was National Champion, she deserved a medal.

They already changed pairs and ice dancers. They can't change ladies. And Sotnikova is not consistent in free program (short is good) She can even fall behind Osmond, which can hurt their gold medal chances.

louisa05

Final Flight
@Badknees

I think Russia made golden choices in terms of using single skaters for both and changing the pairs and ice dancers. I don't even think Adelina is in Sochi yet either but if she were to have skated it would have been the SP. Julia clearly was a better bet, not unlike Marai and Ashley. Gotta give credit to both Ashley and Gracie for skating so strong.

Did anyone notice Ashley when Gracie's scores came up. I was wrong about Scott sounding biased last night and have since apologized so maybe I'm just bad at first takes but I thought I sensed something in that kiss and cry. Hope I need not apologize again:slink:

My impression was that Ashley was looking at the score as was everyone else. She looked focused on it for a moment then cheered with the rest of the team. She also clasped Gracie's hand and said something to her after and both were smiling. So, sorry, if you are looking for some enmity between them, I don't think it was there.

smoothiw

Rinkside
One thing that embarrass me is that Julia got +1.4 goe and Gracie got +0.4 on 3lz-3t combo. I couldn't find any reason why there was one point gap between them. Juilia's combo was good, but there seemed incorrect or at least unclear edge take-off. Gracie was a little shaky at the landing, I know, but clearly there was no edge issue on her 3lz, and the height and position of her jumps were better than Julia's. What made the 1 point gap? Any thought?

Another strange thing happened on Gracie's flip. I know she usually lips, but I don't think she lipped in this performance, at least not that clear wrong edge take-off, and she received 'e' on her 3F.
If techs decided to call 'e' on Gracie's 3F, then why didn't they call 'e' on Julia's first 3lz?

Julia was great tonight, and there could be typical home inflation in any competition, but does it really make sense that Julia was 12!!! points ahead of Gracie?
12 points, not 3 or 4??? It's embarrassing.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have no doubt they are good friends and will support each other. I just couldn't make out where her mind went cause she blanked out. You might be right just focusing on the score board. I kind of thought she looked pissed ,not at Gracie, but at the judges. I should have hinted that seeing Gracie somewhat over scored and her a bit under might fuel her up for the individual translating into a more fierce showing. Just interested of anyone noticed anything.

I definitely saw Ashley smiling at Julia when she put her the hat on and exited the ice. :)

Barb

Record Breaker
BS of scoring :disapp:, if Julia got more goes in her 3-3 than Gracie I dont see reason for Julia dont score more than Yuna's, is ridiculous but this "sport" has been an absurd for years, the craziest and stupid thing is why I even follow it :confused:

Whatever, Gracie, Julia and Valentina were great but in general I could not enjoy the competition because the corrupt scoring.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yes, I was so surprised to see Julia skate the FS. I was expecting Sotnikova to skate it...... She certainly deserves to based on her win in Russian Nationals and second place at Europeans. She was robbed of a gold medal. She must be feeling terrible right now.

I think that's very unfair to say. I adore Adelina, but her federation could only take two girls. I think they were concerned about dance and the fact that I/K had a higher PB than B/S in the free dance. In terms of short, while Adelina has beaten Julia twice in the short, Julia does have the personal bet there.

They could only switch out two, and Julia IS the more consistent skater.

gnom

On the Ice
So you'd put Gracie ahead of Julia. Come on. Ill admit Julia was over scored. You have to admit Gracie was too. Neither skated their full potential. I think in a fair world Julia clean as a whistle should be 135-140 with the later being over the top amazing lights out. I see Gracie close to that at 130-135 same standards apply. I would not score Julia a 126 as you suggest.:bang: It's pointless to counter bias with more bias.

Be certain that I am not biased for an American skater. Just check the Grand Prix Final protocols as Selene suggested. Those marks in GOE and components reflect Julia's skating in IMO quite appropriate. Be sure I appreciate Lipnitskaia's talent & skating. And I even like her Schindler's List program. What I don't appreciate at all is unfair judging. If it is not for politicking reasons I don't understand the rise in Julia's GOE and component scores at all.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm just proud of Gracie handling the pressure & skating so well. I agree that Julia was overscored but have no problem with her winning. Very talented girl.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Be certain that I am not biased for an American skater. Just check the Grand Prix Final protocols as Selene suggested. Those marks in GOE and components reflect Julia's skating in IMO quite appropriate. Be sure I appreciate Lipnitskaia's talent & skating. And I even like her Schindler's List program. What I don't appreciate at all is unfair judging. If it is not for politicking reasons I don't understand the rise in Julia's GOE and component scores at all.

All very valid points!! I do think Julia has improved since GPF dramatically. Just my opinion I know but it's there if for me. Factor in her Euro win and however you look at it that, big wins increase PCS in the judges eyes. I am with you that the scoring was ridiculous. Just glad the best girls won today and were placed fair. I honestly don't care how the judges do it as long as the fair winner wins.

smoothiw

Rinkside
BS of scoring :disapp:, if Julia got more goes in her 3-3 than Gracie I dont see reason for Julia dont score more than Yuna's, is ridiculous but this "sport" has been an absurd for years, the craziest and stupid thing is why I even follow it :confused:

Whatever, Gracie, Julia and Valentina were great but in general I could not enjoy the competition because the corrupt scoring.

I don't think Julia-Yuna, who-will-win-gold is about the 3-3 GOEs. Yuna will get more GOE as everyone knows if she nails it.
It is much more about who will skate cleanly. If both skate cleanly, maybe (or definitely?) Yuna will win.
If Yuna makes some mistakes, who knows?

For me, it is just embarrassing Julia got 1.4 and and Gracie got only 0.4 goe on 3-3. The techs and judges seemed too generous to Julia and too strict to Gracie, IMHO.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Judging woes aside, can you imagine skating in front of that many people pulling for you to win the countries first medal and then to top it off Putin walks in. Talk about a pressure situation. I myself get nervous if the Zamboni driver watches!!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the message to Gracie is that it's going to be difficult for her to get a medal in the singles event. She skated a nearly clean, 7-triple program and couldn't break 130. Even if she skates perfectly, with no edge call, what would it get her? An extra point or two? Her PCS is well below Carolina's and Mao's usual scores. There's not much she can do to fix that. Yu Na, and now Julia, are well able score over 140. It will all depend on how Mao and Carolina skate. Caro scored 131 for her Bolero program with a fall at 2013 Worlds, so it would seem she has a higher scoring potential than Gracie, even with her easier technical elements. We also haven't seen how the judges will score Adelina yet. As for the scoring at the team event, I think Julia did deserve higher PCS than Gracie, but maybe not as high as she received. Did she deserve higher GOE on her jumps? I would have to go back and look to see if she hit four of the bullets the judges are supposed to use in awarding GOE. I note also that Gracie had a level 3 layback to Julia's level 4.

amc987

On the Ice
The placements generally seemed right to me. Julia should not have gotten component scores in the high 8s. As good as she is, parts of her choreography seemed unfinished (like a lot of the random flexibility moves she does and doesn't hold for long- they don't seem to go with the music much either), she skates relatively slowly, and she is very reserved. I don't know that she connects well with the audience, especially if you compare her to Kostner, Suzuki, Asada/Kim at their very best. Those weaknesses should show up in PE, IN, and SS, but they don't seem to when the judges evaluate Julia's programs. I don't think that's fair. IMO, she shouldn't have gotten above 135 for that program, especially because a few of her landings were wonky and her last spin really traveled.

Gracie looked nervous and her jumps were a little tighter than usual. I'm never moved by her artistically, but she presents much better now than she did before she started working with Frank. Her pageant-style grin is less pronounced and she's doing the helicopter arms way less. I think it'll take her some time to be a genuine performer/ really emote with sincerity. Still, kudos to her for landing all of her jumps and getting high levels on her spins. It sure seems like she's the best American hope for a medal in the ladies'.

Too bad about Suzuki's URs and her downgrade. She looked really nervous to be on Olympic ice. I hope she cleans up her jumps for the individual competition. I really think she could create a special moment if she's as on here as she was at Japanese Nationals.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Julia's jump landings are really shaky and not smooth. I feel like she was going to fall over in some of them. It's crazy how her scores have rocketed so quickly within such a short period of time. Didn't it take forever for Yuna and Mao to break the 200 pt barrier?

s_parks

Record Breaker
I tell you, Kim is in big trouble. Even if Kim does all clean back-to-back, she'll lose to Julia who has 7 triples in her LP with insane spins & spirals. The best strategy for Kim to hold on to the gold medal is by doing two absolutely flawless programs and hoping that Julia makes a few mistakes in her routine.

It's getting kinda crazy. Just in case anyone misunderstands, I do NOT dislike lipnitskaia. But her jumping... +1.4? really? It really should not take a flawed julia for yuna to win. i really hope julia fixes her jumping, because puberty will not be kind.

zamboni step

Final Flight
I tell you, Kim is in big trouble. Even if Kim does all clean back-to-back, she'll lose to Julia who has 7 triples in her LP with insane spins & spirals. The best strategy for Kim to hold on to the gold medal is by doing two absolutely flawless programs and hoping that Julia makes a few mistakes in her routine.

Don't give up on Mao! She's a wildcard, a 3A in both programs along with 7 others in the FS could go a long way, considering these messy FSs have been scoring 130+ all season long.

Julia is no longer the dark horse, she's kind of the one to be afraid of now. It kind of makes me want to cry and/or crank out the wine/vodka/cooking sherry/rubbing alcohol. :sarcasm:

smoothiw

Rinkside

Here is your post earlier.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...hat-will-happen-in-the-individual-competition

You wrote "For myself, it's my wish that Julia triumphs and gets the OGM if Mao can't do it."

Does this mean that Mao is your favorite and you hate Yuna, so you want Julia to beat Yuna unless Mao can do that?
Is this your hope?