Ladies Q A - Notes & Results | Golden Skate

Ladies Q A - Notes & Results

Rosaleen

Medalist
PLEASE NOTE: All of these worlds reports are copyright Golden Skate and are not to be copied & pasted to other internet message boards, web-sites or email lists. You are very welcome to link to the forums from other web-sites. Registration is required, but it’s free.

Group #1

Fumie Suguri JPN Start # 1
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Symphony #40 by Mozart really pretty turqoise with flowing bell sleeves
3z3t great start / she’s flying across the ice / 3f landed partially forward on the wrong foot & changed feet / 3s is good / just missed a spin / flycam is very nice good stretch / end of 1st section and she’s doing some lovely chor to slower section / 3l went into it really tentative and it went up bad could see it wouldn’t happen landed on 2 feet / 3z is high & pretty / travelling 3’s into 3t / 2a / layback with stretched strt leg is very nice / music picks up with piano and so does she to do a 2f / O ftwrk starts over very detailed then a big split jump and into simpler turns all in same direction / excellent combo spin with very fast scratch to end /

Viktoria Volchkova RUS Start # 2
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 2 2
Four Seasons / Air – Bach Black with pink trim
Huge 3z3t / 3l from really slow entrance but she popped it high / 3f / layback is fast & centered not as good pos as it could be / now into heavy 4 seasons music / 3s / these jumps are just gorgeous – the type we all know she’s capable of / there was just some footwork in a circular pattern but not sure if it was her seq / 3t at the boards in front of me – didn’t get a good look at it / back to Air / 2a / four seasons again 3z fell / combo spin with nice catch foot & possible a miss on a catchfoot on the back end / forward scratch to end /

Michelle Kwan USA Start # 3
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 2
Tosca – Puccini Dark peach with crisscross back /
Really taking her time skating around getting into position / loop didn’t get off the ice / 3z2t / some chor and around to this end for 3f / 2a / flycam to lovely stretch pos perfectly centered and went very well with the music change / music is building and she comes around for 3s2t / layback is quite good with strt leg & arms behind back / not sure how next spin started but ended in stretched pos looking at ceiling / her trademark inside out spiral / 3t / 3z fell / strt ftwrk that goes very well with music & has lots of body in it but moves across the ice on the slow side / flysit to back scratch is very good /

Keren Shua Haim ISR Start # 4
Ordinals 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
Carmen black with open back
2a fell / missed the next few jumps in shock over Michelle being placed first / 3s under rot landed low on both feet / missed more of her skate trying to get re-connect to the ‘net to post the first 3 skaters – sorry about that but I figured people would want to know as soon as possible

Lucie Krausova CZE Start # 5
Ordinals 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
Havana soundtrack & Mambo Kings soundtrack / bright dark red with orangey trim around neck
3?? Fell didn’t see take off / 3f wild free leg on landing but think it was clean – far end of ice / travel 3’s into 3t fell out / 1a / sit ch sit to Y was fast on front very slow on back / music softens & slows and some chor / 3l fell / 2z / might have missed some stuff between the loop & the z / strt ftwrk is simple but goes with music / 2s /

I have to add that no one sitting around me thinks Michelle should be in 1st place

lavender

Record Breaker
Doesn't look like my Michelle is as ready as she thought she would be.

And victoria can't fall and pass some skaters with her presentation. If Michelle falls and Victoria falls Michelle will come out ahead.

Last edited:

Pati

On the Ice
rain said:
Ouch. Sounds like Volchkova clearly outskated Kwan.

Not quite sure how you arrived at that opinion. At any rate, Michelle has her work cut out for herself, thats for sure.

Rosaleen

Medalist
Group # 2

Shizuka Arakawa JPN Start # 6
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Currently 1st
Turandot - Black with silver that we’ve all seen
2z3t – big oh no from the crowd on the 2z / 3s3t / 3f / her left thigh is bandaged or taped / I just missed a spin think I saw a cam pos / 3l2l / music picks up to the sticatto notes and she into her O ftwrk / 2a / flycam with nice stretched pos & arm variations / outside spread eagle to ina to inside spread eagle as the music softens – timed perfectly / 3z / you can just feel that the crowd is with her and wants her to do well k—more so than any skater so far / lovely layback with flat back / and into the spirals as the music builds towards the end in the familiar melody and a gorgeous ina that’s held to show it off / combo spin to end is very good /

Irina Slutskaya RUS Start # 7
Ordinals 2 2 3 4 4 5 5 Currently 3rd
Wonderland by Huljic / Whisper from the Mirror by Matsui / Croatian Rhapsody by Huljic Black with big red heart on chest & diamond on back
Some ovement to set the mood / travel 3’s into 3l / 2z was up there & she bailed it but a clean double / 3s / fly cam with great fly to donut perfectly centered with good speed / music changes & some movement in place in front of judges / 3z fell / layback in classic pos with very nice arms / spirals / 3f turns into ?? think probably a 2a but not sure / music picks up tempo :& the crowd is really clapping / 3t barely landed pitched forward and tight but pulled it out on one foot with sheer determination and a big smile / think I missed a S ftwrk seq while writing / combo spin to end with beillmanns on both feet /

Susanna Pöykiö FIN Start # 8
Ordinals 2 3 3 3 3 4 4 Currently 3rd
Concerto in F Minor by Gershwin pretty light blue
3z2t / 3f2t / 3z or 3f – at far end of ice – in centre so probably a flip / 2a into a spin I missed the start of / music is now slow piano deliberate notes and she moving with it into a nice layback and music starts to build / 3l / 2z / flycam to layvoer into upright stretch looking at ceiling / spirals are good – better than average / music is fast now and her diag ftwrk is fast & detailed & flows / 3s / combo spin to end ending in 2handed catchfoot travel a bit but quite good /

Hristina Vassileva BUL Start # 9
Ordinals 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 Currently 7th
Medley of gypsy kings, santana, cirque du soleil, shakira / black & red
3z big high leg before pick – probably 2footed but there were some big cheers from the skaters section to my right so it’s probably very good for her/ 3f – 2foot / ?? spin / 2a / spirals / strt ftwrk to tango goes very well / I’m thinking I missed a jump after the 2a in fact I know I did – could have even missed 2 / sit ch sit is fast & low travel as bit / 3t2t / The ones doing the cheering are Albina and a couple of ladies sitting with her / music has really speeded up and we have a nice fly sit / and then and upright stretched looking at ceiling

Zuzana Babiakova SVK Start # 10
Ordinals 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 Currently 7th
Circus World by Lesko white with red short vest effect and red apron
2a / her movements seem to be setting the stage for the program – lots of what you’d think of as folk dance movement / 3z2t / 3f hand down / 3t / flycam is fast & centered / some circus miming in front of judges / 3l / layback is centered but pos is only soso / 3z 2foot / music changes and is now very fast / 3s / O ftwrk is fast & goes well with music – stop in the middle / combo spin is very fast & centered / cam to flyover to sit /

CURRENT STANDINGS
FPl. Name Nat. Points QB QA SP FS
1 Shizuka ARAKAWA JPN 0.4 1
3 Michelle KWAN USA 0.8 2
5 Susanna POYKIO FIN 1.2 3
7 Irina SLUTSKAYA RUS 1.6 4
9 Viktoria VOLCHKOVA RUS 2.0 5
11 Fumie SUGURI JPN 2.4 6
13 Zuzana BABIAKOVA SVK 2.8 7
15 Hristina VASSILEVA BUL 3.2 8
17 Lucie KRAUSOVA CZE 3.6 9
19 Keren SHUA HAIM ISR 4.0 10

rain

Record Breaker
Pati said:
Not quite sure how you arrived at that opinion. At any rate, Michelle has her work cut out for herself, thats for sure.

Don't think I'm a Kwan hater or anything like that - as a matter of fact I usually love Kwan and would normally pick her over Volchkova any day. However, Rosaleen's reports show that Volchkova landed six triples and a double axel, with a triple/triple combination - and she comments that her jumps are beautiful ones, while Kwan landed only four triples and a double axel with no triple/triple combination. Both had one fall, and Kwan also had a popped jump. So while I understand there are spins, footwork, spirals to be considered - where, without seeing it I would probably give Kwan the edge, Volchkova's performance of the big tricks puts her over the top, I think.

lavender

Record Breaker
ElsaSchraeder said:
Am I reading this correctly? Did Slute not have a combination?

Yeah I guess so and she's still ahead of VV & Fumie whom everyone thinks should be ahead of Michelle. There's so much more to skating and that's why Michelle and Irina are ahead.

Last edited:

Rosaleen

Medalist
I think Irina's 3f turns into a ?? possibly 2a was classed as a sequence which would fufill the requirement for a combo or seq

thvudragon

On the Ice
Rosaleen said:
I think Irina's 3f turns into a ?? possibly 2a was classed as a sequence which would fufill the requirement for a combo or seq
I agree. This isn't CoP, so the 1.5 turns on the ice could still count as a sequence, as she does little to no stroking in between.

TV

Pati

On the Ice
Rain, Sorry, I didn't mean to sound as if I were criticizing your opinion. I just disagree with you. Jumps are important yes, but so is artistry.
Like Lavender said:
There's so much more to skating and that's why Michelle and Irina are ahead.

wvgal57

On the Ice
Yes, Irina's sequence of 3flip/2axle has always put her programs into a 3 combo department. I'm sure it helped her here. I hate she bailed on the first lutz though, seems she had it but maybe lost confidence. All in all, a decent skate for the first time out with this program, first competition for Irina and just getting through it is a huge step. Not too shabby in comparison to some who've had healthy training all season.

I'm stoked for Vika and Fumie though, those 3/3's are great confidence builders for them and I'm glad to know they aren't faint of heart with them anymore. Gotta get em on the ice instead of in the practices.

Shizuka has come on like gangbusters. Looks like she is headed for the double 3/3 route herself. Wow!

Anna

On the Ice
wvgal57 said:
I'm stoked for Vika and Fumie though, those 3/3's are great confidence builders for them...

Yeah, it's a huge confidence builder to have your best skate beaten by mediocre performances of the others...

rain

Record Breaker
Anna said:
Yeah, it's a huge confidence builder to have your best skate beaten by mediocre performances of the others...

ITA with your sarcasm - no offense to the original poster who was just trying to be positive about Suguri and Volchkova - which I respect. But so far it looks like both - particularly Volchkova - got the shaft to hold up Kwan and Slutskaya who had mediocre performances at best.

"Rain, Sorry, I didn't mean to sound as if I were criticizing your opinion. I just disagree with you. Jumps are important yes, but so is artistry.
Like Lavender said:

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's so much more to skating and that's why Michelle and Irina are ahead.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I happen to agree wholeheartedly that there is a lot more than just jumps to figure skating and I usually love the artistic skaters more than the purely athletic. However, jumps still are an important measuring stick in the sport and I don't think Volchkova and Suguri are so lacking in artistry that when they put out a clearly superior technical performance they should finish behind the likes of Kwan and Slutskaya. A good performance by a skater - any skater - deserves to be rewarded.

Last edited:

SuryaFan

Spectator
rain said:
ITA with your sarcasm - no offense to the original poster who was just trying to be positive about Suguri and Volchkova - which I respect. But so far it looks like both - particularly Volchkova - got the shaft to hold up Kwan and Slutskaya who had mediocre performances at best.

Sekret computer totally robs Viktoria yet AGAIN......all her marks are equal to or better than Kostner's marks! This is ridiculous!!

Anna and SuryaFan, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum! We hope you like it here and will want to stick around after Worlds.:)

About champions and former champions being held up, I think I will reserve judgment until I actually see it. IMO skaters like Michelle and Irina have such strong basic skating skills that they often place higher, and correctly so, than others who do more impressive individual elements. Objectively speaking, I think a mediocre skate by Michelle Kwan is still pretty darn good, usually.

Anyroad, congratulations to Irina for a creditable skate in the face of eveything she has been through this year.

Mathman :)

PS. SuryaFan, I don't know why Viktoria has such bad luck with the secert judging system. I did a statistical study of how many times the "wrong" person won because of bad luck with the random draw. In the sample study it happened four times. Three of them involved Viki! (One of the three, though, she was the victor instead of the victim.)

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
How is this VV's best skate when she fell. She's done a 3/3 before and not fallen. Now that was her best skate.

No 3/3 from Fumie or VV with a fall on another jump is going to beat a Michelle and Irina.

Last edited:

thvudragon

On the Ice
SuryaFan said:
Sekret computer totally robs Viktoria yet AGAIN......all her marks are equal to or better than Kostner's marks! This is ridiculous!!
The random select did not rob Vika, it's possible that the majority of the judges still placed Kostner ahead.

5 Carolina KOSTNER ITA 2.0
4.8 5.2 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.6 5.6
5.1 5.1 5.5 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.4 5.6 5.6 5.0

6 Viktoria VOLCHKOVA RUS 2.4
5.6 5.4 5.4 5.4 5.5 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.6 5.3
5.6 5.6 5.3 5.2 5.5 5.5 5.3 5.5 5.5 5.1

Wheee, so bored. Hey, it's possible! Vika still could have lost in majority panel.

TV