Ladies Q A - Notes & Results | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies Q A - Notes & Results

Rosaleen

Medalist
Group # 3

Anne Sophie Calvez FRA Start # 11
Ordinals 7 7 7 8 8 8 8 Currently 8th
Lord of the Dance Black with one sleeve and dark red on skirt
High 3t2t / 3z2t at least I think it was a 3 – was being handed a sheet of paper with quotes / 3f / extremely fast layback with ok pos but travelled a long way / 3l over-rot and fell / 3s fell , too bad – she started out so good / flysit is nice / really nice 3z air pos was gorgeous / there seems to be a fair bit of kind of aimless skating around not doing much of anything including listening or moving to the music / 2a / cam spin to catch foot / and the last 20 seconds was step dancing on her toepicks in about a 20 foot long section of the ice – only time I really felt she was skating to the music.

Sara Falotico BEL Start # 12
Ordinals 9 9 9 9 9 10 10 Currently 9th
Journey of Man bright hot pink with one shoulder
3zand I think 3t looked like too much rot for only a double / 2a / 3f right a near boards so couldn’t see feet to see if it was clean / ?? spin only saw the end upright pos / 3t both hands down / layback is slow and pos is soso / 2s / spirals are ok / 3t not great but held off putting hand down didn’t see if she did a 2nd jump after it / 3s tight on landing & bit wild but clean / flysit to nice-looking but slow catch foot / O ftwrk moves very well and is timed with music – on the simple side / 2l / combo spin to end /

Carolina Kostner ITA Start # 13
Ordinals 3 4 4 5 6 7 7 Currently 5th
Vanessa Mae Medley ending in Turandot peach with silver
Some nice movement to open and around for her 3f 3t 2l could have been a light touch-down on flip and think she had to hop to keep landing of loop – right a near boards and couldn’t see feet after take-off of the 1st jump / 3z came out forward / 3?? Think loop came out forward / I just missed a spin / inside out spiral is great / 2a 1/2l 3s is very nice / layback is much improved – they’ve worked on the pos / music is now turnadot and she did an ina in what I think is the same spot of the music as Shizuka / strt ftwrk was full of turns very nice / 2a turnout / flysit is good and then a forward scratch to end

Karen Venhuizen NED Start # 14
Ordinals 12 12 12 12 13 13 13 Currently 12th
Bolero Fantasy / Easta of Eden dark burgundy & pink underskirt
3? Think loop landed tight & bit wild free leg but clean / 3t2t tink clean but too close to near board / 2s / strt ftwrk to bolero is very imaginative and goes very well with music with decent amount of detail / 2a / flycam has good pos bit slow / now into East of Eden and some dancing & movement in place / 3s? didn’t really see it – my eyes are going J spirals are ok / 2f / upright spin with different stretched pos / nice ina into 2l / 2z / combo spin to end is ok /

Julia Lautowa AUT Start # 15
Ordinals 10 10 11 11 11 13 14 Currently 11th
Phantom of the Opera on Ice by Danova shiny black & red lots of illusion hard to describe
3z landed weird on toepick and stumbled out / 2f / popped loop to double / 3t2t / she seems to have quite the wrap on most of her jumps – I don’t remember this from when I’ve seen her before / some chor to slower section / 3f with a late hand down / nice upright spin / sal didn’t get off ice and she went sliding off her edge and almost into the boards / just missed a spin that I think ended in a catchfoot / loop popped to singl / 2a is good / O ftwrk goes with music but somehow seems disjointed / combo spin is good on front gets very slow on back

Anna

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Anna and SuryaFan, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum! We hope you like it here and will want to stick around after Worlds.:)

Thank for your welcome. I've been reading for a while, but never posted before.

I can understand what are you talking about, but IMHO in terms of basic skating skills Volchkova is right up there with the best of them. Her problems in lack of "emotions" and decent choreography... It's a serious problem in "all other things being equal" scenario, but I don't see this scenario here at all.

Reports said that Irina has been sloppy, and just a week ago I've heard from people who attended VV and IS test skates that Vika was much better prepared and skated much better than Irina (kudos for Irina courage of course... to compete after such serious health problems...)...

But right now I see Vika's, probably best ever skate (she only missed second 3L) way below Irina mediocre one... I don't know... I have seen "off" skating by Irina and I wouldn't hesitate to put good Vika over it on any day. And by all means it seems that Irina was "off" today.

I dont comment on Kwan, since I've never seen her live.

rain

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
About champions and former champions being held up, I think I will reserve judgment until I actually see it. IMO skaters like Michelle and Irina have such strong basic skating skills that they often place higher, and correctly so, than others who do more impressive individual elements. Objectively speaking, I think a mediocre skate by Michelle Kwan is still pretty darn good, usually.

[/B]

I agree that Kwan and Slutskaya have great basic skating skills that normally hold them in good stead even when they have sub-par performances. However, Volchkova and Suguri have exceptional basic skating skills as well - I would venture to say Fumie has some of the best blades on the ice and Volchkova easily is one of the most gorgeous jumpers in the world in terms of technique and height. By Kwan standards a mediocre skate IS unquestionably still pretty darn good, but in looking at the reports, it seems like several others had really good days and the judging is not accurately reflecting that.

thvudragon

On the Ice
rain said:
I agree that Kwan and Slutskaya have great basic skating skills that normally hold them in good stead even when they have sub-par performances. However, Volchkova and Suguri have exceptional basic skating skills as well - I would venture to say Fumie has some of the best blades on the ice and Volchkova easily is one of the most gorgeous jumpers in the world in terms of technique and height. By Kwan standards a mediocre skate IS unquestionably still pretty darn good, but in looking at the reports, it seems like several others had really good days and the judging is not accurately reflecting that.
But Volchkva is still a very slow skater, with poor quality spins and positions. Suguri has low quality jumps with very little runout if any, and is still a very stiff skater with many unrefined positions.

TV

mzheng

Record Breaker
The same issue the 'VV wuz robbed' raised at FSU as well earlier. But according to the SS there that was not the case, VV was slower and even less choreo.

rain

Record Breaker
thvudragon said:
But Volchkva is still a very slow skater, with poor quality spins and positions. Suguri has low quality jumps with very little runout if any, and is still a very stiff skater with many unrefined positions.

TV

They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Kwan isn't a great spinner either, nor are her jumps particularly impressive in terms of height or technique. Slutskaya is a skater who has never become very refined in her positions, and her spirals are weak. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

wvgal57

On the Ice
I know I have not seen the skating and I'm not sure who else here has.

Anna, I was told Viki skated poorly at the test skate and was very slow. So see we all are told different things. I wasn't there so I don't know, I can tell what I was told. Also, last weeks performance is in the history books. and doesn't count here. In reality, all these women are better trained than Irina.

I'm proud Victoria went for the 3/3, it shows she is moving on with her technical skills and remember that this is just one phase of the compeition.

Mafke

Medalist
Without having seen any of the performances in question I think:

Suguri - got screwed by drawing first position (never a good place for any skater) why the ISU doesn't seed skaters to prevent this kind of thing I will _never_ understand ... if they ran Wimbledon, I'm sure Serena Williams and Justine Henin would meat in the first round.

Volchkova - as wonderful as some of her jumps are, she skates on the slow side with so-so carriage and extensions (nb: this is based on past performances, she may have speeded up and have better carriage now)

Kwan - has speeded up in recent years and has great carriage and extensions

I think normally Kwan's superior speed and carriage will carry over an extra jump or combination by a close competitor (as in her victory of Sokolova last year)

Again, this is all theory. I suspect we'll know more after the SP.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
The opinions of those who are there

like Rosaleen and Joesitz will be very interesting. Too bad we will probably never see any of this on TV.

DG

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Mafke said:
I think normally Kwan's superior speed and carriage will carry over an extra jump or combination by a close competitor (as in her victory of Sokolova last year)

Yes, but the difference between a 4 triple program and one with 6 3s is and should be HUGE.

Bosman401 said:
I agree that Michelle's jumps are not the highest, but her technique is generally superb.
Especially on the run-out, IMO. To me, this is an area where one can fault many of the huge jumps and spectacular combinations of many skaters. Sometimes they almost come to a complete stop. Again, I will have to wait until I can actually see the performances.
The random select did not rob Vika, it's possible that the majority of the judges still placed Kostner ahead.

5 Carolina KOSTNER ITA 2.0
4.8 5.2 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.6 5.6
5.1 5.1 5.5 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.4 5.6 5.6 5.0

6 Viktoria VOLCHKOVA RUS 2.4
5.6 5.4 5.4 5.4 5.5 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.6 5.3
5.6 5.6 5.3 5.2 5.5 5.5 5.3 5.5 5.5 5.1

Wheee, so bored. Hey, it's possible! Vika still could have lost in majority panel.

TV
ALL RIGHT! Now we're getting somewhere! I knew I could count on you to do the numbers, TV. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mathman

thvudragon

On the Ice
Mathman said:
ALL RIGHT! Now we're getting somewhere! I knew I could count on you to do the numbers, TV. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
lol, it beats doing my US History Essay and reading Red Badge of Courage. :D

Rosaleen

Medalist
Group # 4

Tugba Karademir TUR Start # 16
Ordinals 11 13 13 13 15 15 15 Currently 13th

Camel spin that went on forever with goreous positions & stretch / 3s2t just watching her pick on another jump that I’m not sure is a flip or a toe this sal could have been a toe / 3s3l came out forward on loop / 2f – think it was a flip / just missed a spin – don’t know how it started / lutz that had a bad pick & didn’t get off ice / very nice ina into a spiral / 2a that she had to hop out of into turn into a 1t / strt ftwrk is ok / 3s had it then hard fall on her rear with legs in the air / combo spin was lovely until she almost fell out of the catch foot pos into a forward scratch /

Miriam Manzano AUS Start # 17
Ordinals 8 10 10 10 11 11 15 Currently 10th
Nights in the Gardens of Spain black with various colours of sequins in a design on the fron
3z2t / popped flip to single / 2l / flycam is very nice good pos if a bit slow / some chor / 3t2t / 2a / some chor & movement in basically one place / 3z fell out / 3s turnout / split jump into flysit that’s ok / 3t bit wild on free leg and fairly quick turn forward / strt ftwrk is fast / spirals have nice stretch if not the amplitude of others / combo spin starts out with fairly weak layback rest of pos are good / final spin is a layback /

Mojca Kopac SLO Start # 18
Ordinals 10 11 12 12 13 15 16 Currently 12th
Kojiki / Once upon a time in the west dark blue / navy lame with silver sequins
2z almost hand down but held off / 3l / 2t turns then I missed something / flysit is good fast & low / 3s / 2a ?? didn’t really see it / layback is oki / she just skated through a jump then did a 3t with hand down / O ftwrk – at least I think it’s the O frwtk not quite sure / 2s / combo spin is ok /

Dan Fang CHN Start # 19
Ordinals 8 8 9 9 10 11 17 Currently 10th
Rodrigo Grassland Theme Turqoise with white halter
She has a beautiful smile – we just saw it on the monitor / 2a / 3l fell sliding on her side/stomach / music is building and she really moving / 3f / 3t almost hand down but I think held off / fly cam to catchfoot has excellent speed / music slows & gentles and she does some nice chor / layback is very nice pos & good speed / poped lutz / inside out spiral to catch knee / 3z2t / back scratch spin is fast / music goes into familiar theme and crowd is clapping / 3s I think is clean couldn’t see feet / combo spin has excellent pos & speed & is centered / strt ftwrk is on toes for 1st thrid fits well with music /

Anna Bernauer LUX Start # 20
Ordinals 19 19 19 19 19 19 20 Currently 19th
Furia by Brian May black with string skirt with blue underskirt
Some chor to building music to set tone / 3t fell / 2-1/2 lutz bailed in air and came out forward / 3s / layback is centered with good speed pos could be better / 3f under rot hand down 2feet / spirals are pretty good / 1a / 2l / flycam good speed & centering pos is soso / 3s under rot 2feet / popped toe / didn’t see the end of her skate ‘cause I had a visitor come to say hi

Miki Ando JPN Start # 21
Ordinals 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 Currently 2nd
Firebird dark red with gold sheen on bodice
Very quick movement and right into 3z3l at the 15 second mark / one foot ftwrk down length of ice / 4s fell replay shows it was almost ½ rot short / fly cam is fast with nice changes of pos / 2a / her arms movements are very ‘bird like’ – don’t know how to explain it – probably would look like arm flapping with another skater but doesn’t with her / music really softens and so do her movements – some nice chor in place / into spiral seq which is quite good / 3t2t / cam ch cam usual pos but very well done & centered / music builds and 3f / split jump into 3l that was so shakey on landing I htought she’d fall but she managed to pull it out on one foot with sheer determination / 2a / layback with flat back like Yukina Ota / into final scratch spin that is fast & centered & very good /

brenlynn

On the Ice
excuse me while i pick my jaw up off the floor... i can't believe kwan's placement right now. while i am by no means her biggest fan, it's just shocking.

i'm glad to see shizza and cohen skated great, and i hope they can do it again in the sp and lp, they are 2 of my faves :love:

was hoping to see kirk do a bit better, but it is her 1st worlds, so it's not too bad! plus she has a great sp and she sells her lp as well, so i am hoping she'll go nowhere but up!!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I was wondering whether Ando would shake things up at the very end. Apparently, she did! The thought plickens! :laugh: :D :laugh: :D

wvgal57

On the Ice
:love: OMG - wow, I'm impressed just reading the in betweens of this program. Can't wait for the short program now. It's going to be a huge fight now, Worlds just got very interesting for sure. How will she (Ando) handle the pressure????

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
wvgal57 said:
:love: OMG - wow, I'm impressed just reading the in betweens of this program. Can't wait for the short program now. It's going to be a huge fight now, Worlds just got very interesting for sure. How will she handle the pressure????

Who is "she"?

thvudragon

On the Ice
brenlynn said:
was hoping to see kirk do a bit better, but it is her 1st worlds, so it's not too bad! plus she has a great sp and she sells her lp as well, so i am hoping she'll go nowhere but up!!
It's her 2nd worlds. She went to Worlds 2002, but withdrew midway in the competition because of injury.

TV

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Holy Horse Spit!!!!

I cannot WAIT to see Miki Ando skate. That must have been some performance.

I hope you guys that are there will have a little time to tell us how YOU would have called all the placements. All of us house bound folks REALLY appreciate it - and I'm sure you're operating on little sleep, etc.

SP & LP will sure be interesting. As the results have been coming along all morning I've been thinking a lot about the pre-world's thread where we debated the 3/3 issue. Many people thought that given Sasha and Michelle's "rest of the package" they wouldn't be necessary. But it sure sounds like some of the 3/3 ladies are bringing their "rest of the package" together. Will be interested to go back to that topic once all the kissin' and cryin' is over.

DG