Russians furious over Olympic fix slur | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Russians furious over Olympic fix slur

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I swear I'm having dejavu. I remember seeing this thread and these comments before. Anyone else having the same feeling?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
this is a small world of people who practically live for detecting/rising some rumours, scandals, theories - and this people created this on their own because of criteria of jugding system so it is an inner closed circle which starts before some major event , gets faster during it and closes after usually with some 'bang'...So for me there is no suprise that some of conspiracy theories rose - I'm used to find it 'natural' in this sport. Just bad for skaters from involved nations - their eventual medals will be all questioned after that gig regardless if they will be got fairly or not

umm look at how many "new" users are joining in just recently :disapp:
to GS only to bad mouth Russian skaters

SkateToronto

On the Ice
What are the Russians mad at Canada about? The story is from a French publication and based on a quote from a Russian coach. Canada didn't have anything to do with the story. And why are people so surprised that the Canadian press picked up on the story? Given what happened in Salt Lake City, people are understandably sensitive to accusations about mark fixing.

:laugh: lol if you think Canada should have won
Osmond fell on her butt and V/M were crsuhed by D/W both times
losing levels, disaster twizzles and with lift problems as usual

poor Canada only 4 medals so far in Sochi :cry:

Actually 5 now. We just won another gold. And lol at you if you think that's a bad result so far - we're second in the medal standings. :rolleye:

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight

lol if you think anyone here is actually saying Canada should have won the team event. A couple of us specifically said Russia could have won it anyway. That doesn't mean some of that scoring wasn't ridiculous. It may not have affected the overall picture in team, but people are right to be concerned about the individual events now, and not just on behalf of Canada.

What are the Russians mad at Canada about? The story is from a French publication and based on a quote from a Russian coach.

Yeah, that point's been made several times in this thread and it's a perfectly good one, but the Canada-accusers don't seem particularly interested. (Or explain it away as "Canada CLEARLY planted that story even though it came from France!!!111!!!!")

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
lol if you think anyone here is actually saying Canada should have won the team event. A couple of us specifically said Russia could have won it anyway. That doesn't mean some of that scoring wasn't ridiculous. It may not have affected the overall picture in team, but people are right to be concerned about the individual events now, and not just on behalf of Canada.

should we go back then to Vancouver ala V/M inflated scores ?
what about Rochette and Dube / Wolfe scores

because those were individual on our behalf that we were concerned about

bellafurr

On the Ice
You are utterly ridiculous. The only thing Canada would be really upset about if they don't win gold medal in hockey.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
umm look at how many "new" users are joining in just recently :disapp:
to GS only to bad mouth Russian skaters

"new" users you said? I watched figure skating long enough to see that little or big scandals and theories feed this sport for some time. And the fact that I joined this forum in 2012 (about 1 year later than you) and didn't make as many post as you don't make me a "new" user, really so um...:rolleye: (your fav as I suppose)

Secondly - I have a right to express my opinion/feeling about some topics which are raised here, in PUBLIC forum and it's the same right as yours. But let's see the main big difference between mine and yours posts (but seriously I don't predict you'll see any difference...) - I write my posts when I feel the need of it and this need is connected with the topic, you OTOH use your posts as a tool for insulting or degrading always the same skaters/spreading some conspiracy theories/viewing things always in favour of your favourite skaters. For me it's ok - do what you want but don't write things which are not true - where I wrote in my post a single bad thing about russian skaters? I wrote about some mechanism of rumours/theories which exists in backstage of real rivarly on ice and which is very harmful for skaters...

dress

On the Ice
Welcome, dress. Post often, post long! :)

About anonymous judging the U. S. Figure Skating Association has presented a motion to the ISU to abolish it. This will be debated by the ISU council next year. Let's hope for the best.

To all -- cut it out with the Canada bashing, OK? My goodness, even the Korea and Japan bashing has cooled off this year. I have a feeling that this thread won't last long here. ;)

Thank you, I second you we should not bash country or athletes. The only thing worth questionning is the judging, but it has nothing to do with the skaters. It's the judge's fault. Plushenko was overscored in the LP, but he is not the one who did it.

I compete in a judge sport too. (But not figure skating because I skate like a spider with roller blades on lol). All I can do in competition is do my best as I have no control on the judge or on the other competitors. In my sport, we know which judge gave us each mark, and they write short comments to tell us why we lost some marks in order to know what to improve.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Actually, Osmond fell on her front. :sarcasm: But at least she has an Olympic silver medal, which is more than what Gracie has at this point. :biggrin:

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
What are the Russians mad at Canada about? The story is from a French publication and based on a quote from a Russian coach. Canada didn't have anything to do with the story. And why are people so surprised that the Canadian press picked up on the story? Given what happened in Salt Lake City, people are understandably sensitive to accusations about mark fixing.

Actually 5 now. We just won another gold. And lol at you if you think that's a bad result so far - we're second in the medal standings. :rolleye:

7 now, gold and silver in moguls thanks to Alexandre Bilodeau and Mikaël Kingsbury!!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
7 now, gold and silver in moguls thanks to Alexandre Bilodeau and Mikaël Kingsbury!!

Hah, that's gold and silver in both men's and women's moguls! I felt bad for Marc-Antoine Gagnon... so close to a sweep! Good effort though from all the Canadians. :clap:

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Hah, that's gold and silver in both men's and women's moguls! I felt bad for Philippe Gagnon... so close to a sweep! Good effort though from all the Canadians. :clap:

Yeah, just like I felt bad for Maxime Dufour-Lapointe...

And Alex Bilodeau made history once again! Canada is delivering so far.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Indeed! This time last Olympics, we "only" had a gold (Bilodeau), silver (Jennifer Heil) and bronze (Kristina Groves). Now we have 7 medals, including 3 golds. :bow:

Fruit Loops

On the Ice

I thought it was pretty funny that it was a Russian in a judged event preventing the Canadian sweep. :laugh: My mom asked me about the judging scandal and I just shrugged and said, "it could be true but it might not be. The judging is usually dirty so nothing really shocking here. The overall results are fairly expected either way"

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I thought it was pretty funny that it was a Russian in a judged event preventing the Canadian sweep. :laugh: My mom asked me about the judging scandal and I just shrugged and said, "it could be true but it might not be. The judging is usually dirty so nothing really shocking here. The overall results are fairly expected either way"

Hah, I don't think it was fixed but perhaps... it was a bit suspect that the Russian got the 2nd best turns points though when it looked like he had a few form breaks. His difficulty on his air wasn't nearly as hard as the 4th place Canadian. The Russian was also much faster. He beat the Canadian by about a point, which in moguls is a pretty substantial margin of victory.

vegarin

On the Ice
You are utterly ridiculous. The only thing Canada would be really upset about if they don't win gold medal in hockey.

Hee, as a Canadian, this sounds perfectly true.

That said, Russia is definitely more focused on FS, and judging by scoring, it was kind of expected that this kind of rumour may start. I'm not sure why Canadians would engineer something like this, especially in regards to D/W winning because they were excellent, as good as V/M are. Maybe because V/M score was unexpectedly close to the third Russian pair instead of close to D/W like per usual?

millie

Medalist

Poor Canada in first place with 3 gold, 3 silver and a bronze. Virtue and Moir another Gold and Osmond another gold. You will eat crow before this over with. Lol What will crow about then...haha

millie

Medalist
Hee, as a Canadian, this sounds perfectly true.

That said, Russia is definitely more focused on FS, and judging by scoring, it was kind of expected that this kind of rumour may start. I'm not sure why Canadians would engineer something like this, especially in regards to D/W winning because they were excellent, as good as V/M are. Maybe because V/M score was unexpectedly close to the third Russian pair instead of close to D/W like per usual?

The rumor in Canada is that sky_fly 20 started the rumor!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Osmond a gold? I don't think so. In the Team SP, even when clean she was 10 points behind Lipnitskaia and 8 points behind Kostner; in the FS she was 31 points behind Lipnitskaia and 19 points behind Gold. That's a lot of points to make up, and she hasn't faced Kim yet.

Virtue/Moir has to get past Davis/White to win that Dance gold. With V/M's soporofically boring FD, it is by no means a slam dunk.