Evolution of PCS for Lipnitskaia, Suzuki and Gold | Golden Skate

Evolution of PCS for Lipnitskaia, Suzuki and Gold

will74lsn

Rinkside
Three ladies competed in Skate Canada in October 2013 and today in the team event, Lipnitskaia, Suzuki and Gold.
I had a look at their PCS for the free program

Skate Canada
L 60.88
S 66.23
G 62.11

Sochi Team Event
L 69.82
S 63.01
G 61.89

So in 3 months L "improved" her PC by 9 points , G had virtually no change, and "poor" Suzuki worsened by 3 points. I am wondering how credible it is that a skater improves her/his PC by 9 points in 3 months (both SS and TR improved by over 1.0 point, 7.61 to 8.64 and 7.36 to 8.43). Or maybe was L underscored in Skate Canada?

bobbob

Medalist
Cleary julia is overscored because its in russia. Akikos drop would be explained by her mistakes in the program. I think the pcd at sc were abiut right here julia is massively overscored.

Selene

On the Ice
Lipnitskaia was not underscored at Skate Canada. The PCS scores at that event were more reflective of real ability.

Suzuki is a far superior skater to Lipnitskaia. But her skate in the team event was a mess, jump-wise. So, I guess it makes sense that she would receive a lower score for a bad skate. She still wouldn't have approached Lipnitskaia with a clean skate, though, which makes NO SENSE when you look at their actual ability.

Gold actually received a slightly higher score for a near meltdown skate at Skate Canada than she did for a clean, seven-triple skate in the team event. That really doesn't make sense, when you consider that skaters' PCS scores tend to rise for clean skates. The 12-point scoring gap between her and Lipnitskaia wasn't justified, when you consider the actual skates.

Lipnitskaia and Sotnikova both received PCS scores in the low 60s until the 2014 Europeans. At that event, both of their PCS scores drastically rose - to the level of Kostner and Asada. The sudden and dramatic PCS rise is not reflective of improved ability (imo), but of politicking at its worst. The overscoring of Russian skaters at the 2014 Olympics is blatant and scandalous for an event of this magnitude.

DaveT

On the Ice
But her skate in the team event was a mess, jump-wise. So, I guess it makes sense that she would receive a lower score for a bad skate. .

But it shouldn't as the COP instructs the judges to score jumps independently. Jump errors should have no impact on PCS.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Lipnitskaia was not underscored at Skate Canada. The PCS scores at that event were more reflective of real ability.

Suzuki is a far superior skater to Lipnitskaia. But her skate in the team event was a mess, jump-wise. So, I guess it makes sense that she would receive a lower score for a bad skate. She still wouldn't have approached Lipnitskaia with a clean skate, though, which makes NO SENSE when you look at their actual ability.

Gold actually received a slightly higher score for a near meltdown skate at Skate Canada than she did for a clean, seven-triple skate in the team event. That really doesn't make sense, when you consider that skaters' PCS scores tend to rise for clean skates. The 12-point scoring gap between her and Lipnitskaia wasn't justified, when you consider the actual skates.

Lipnitskaia and Sotnikova both received PCS scores in the low 60s until the 2014 Europeans. At that event, both of their PCS scores drastically rose - to the level of Kostner and Asada. The sudden and dramatic PCS rise is not reflective of improved ability (imo), but of politicking at its worst. The overscoring of Russian skaters at the 2014 Olympics is blatant and scandalous for an event of this magnitude.

It's more understandable with Sotnikova though who has never skated clean before this season and still received higher PCS than most of the other skaters she was competing with. Julia's sky rocketed with no real reason at all, Sotnikova was overscored in PCS by quite a bit at Euros. But Julia? She was pumped full of marks she didn't deserve, I'm worried about the future of skating, if the judges take the marks here into account in the future, we could see the new dominant skater until she retires. Or maybe puberty will hit her and punish her for her shaky 3Lz, 3F and 3S. It's all a bit in the air right now.

zamboni step

Final Flight
But it shouldn't as the COP instructs the judges to score jumps independently. Jump errors should have no impact on PCS.

It was a weak performance even looking past the jumps, there was no spark and no fight. She seemed done before it even started.

DaveT

On the Ice
It was a weak performance even looking past the jumps, there was no spark and no fight. She seemed done before it even started.

I was only stating that jump failures are not supposed to impact components under COP.

zamboni step

Final Flight
I was only stating that jump failures are not supposed to impact components under COP.

I think multiple errors tend to ruin the overall effect of the performance even if they don't let it show after the mistake is made. If you're thinking about some mistake they made during the program, then the performance isn't as captivating. So although it isn't strictly a requirement, I think it's common for several mistakes to ruin the performance, if they don't cause the skater to give up and ruin it themselves anyway.