If you were an Olympic figure skating god... | Golden Skate

If you were an Olympic figure skating god...

Amei

Record Breaker
What Changes Would you make?

After Mao fell, I started thinking - maybe she should consider taking it out for the individual (granted - I understand the only way she is going to beat Yuna is with the 3A, but she's not been consistent at it and a fall could take her from silver to bronze - if not off the podium if everyone else is clean)

So of what you have seen so far from the competitors in the team competitions, what changes would you make to their programs for the individual competition?

Mine:
Mao -- take out the 3A in the short program
Ashley - costume change, I don't like that costume, it's just ugly
Caroline - in an ideal world; more technical difficulty - at this point I would say Carolina's a very-outside chance of winning a medal, she's gonna need some people to have some falls for her to medal.
Julia - take out the picture-drawing on the ice
Meryl Davis - different dress, that pink dress is too light for her complexion

Zelda838

Spectator
Mao- take out one 3A
Ashley- please put your hair in a bun it looks childish; dress is just ehh
Caroline- please add more transitions into jumps!
Julia- like her

emma

Record Breaker
I think strategy wise for the team, Mao should have considered taking out the 3A. but, in terms of prepping for the individual event, she probably had to try. Hard to say. Other than that, I have no changes - other than really wishing, as in really, really, really wishing that the team event was last, not first.

ETA sorry, forgot something. I love Terry G, but really, really, really wish that he and Johnny were the only commentators - or that he and Weir in some events, then he and Tara in others. Three is a crowd, IMO. Terry offers such great context on the skater's history, and Weir adds great technical analysis - for me, that's the perfect combo. Not trying to diss Tara, just expressing my preference; but I would still prefer a two person team, and love her for, say, ladies and pairs with Gannon....

louisa05

Final Flight
I think that the idea of Ashley's dress fits the music and the program, but the cut of it is not particularly flattering on her body.

Mao's team has a hard call to make on the 3A. She needs it to challenge YuNa, but she also needs a clean skate to stay in the mix for gold. Big risk, big reward. Glad I don't have to decide.

Totally agree that Julia's picture drawing on ice needs to go. She already looks like a little girl among women, having her sit down and draw like a little girl only makes the contrast more glaring.

I think Schnapir should get rid of the holster. It is cheesy and distracting.

I don't like Carolina's SP dress, too much sheer lingerie fabric blowing around.

I think Jeremy needs more Yuka and less Jason. I noticed it was primarily Jason at the board talking to him before his SP. When it is only Yuka, he performs better. Witness Nats when Jason was completely absent.

emma

Record Breaker
^ maybe, re: jason and Yuka (and you have to wonder if coaches talk about this sort of thing). But, it's not like he has such a great international record to 'prove' that. Regardless, my heart really broke for him and I wish him the very best in the individual SP! His SP this year is among my all time favorites, so as a selfish-fan, I hope to see him nail it!

louisa05

Final Flight
^ maybe, re: jason and Yuka (and you have to wonder if coaches talk about this sort of thing). But, it's not like he has such a great international record to 'prove' that. Regardless, my heart really broke for him and I wish him the very best in the individual SP! His SP this year is among my all time favorites, so as a selfish-fan, I hope to see him nail it!

It has seemed to me for a long time that for whatever reason he relates better and responds better to Yuka.

I love his SP this year, too. His performance of it at Nats is on my all time favorite SP list!

Icey

Record Breaker
That jump will, I fear, be Mao's nemesis. I think she should take it out to.

Ashley and Kaetlyn lose the pony tail ----- distracting

Ashely give up on the 3/3. You seem to fear it and today the second jump was downgraded anyway. Just do a 3/2.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't know that I'd change much going into the individuals...

but in future I don't think skaters should go for the biggest tricks in the team event - unless they really do have them 90% of the time (or 95%). Mao didn't need the 3A today.

RABID

Final Flight
mao - STOP FALLING

Who knows, maybe she's getting it out of her system in the Team event. I'm still very curious what effect, if any, the Team event is going to have on the mindset of skaters come the final week's individual competitions. Better to fall now than later.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Who knows, maybe she's getting it out of her system in the Team event

everyone keeps saying this for the skaters who've flopped in the team event. if anything it'd me more nervous, knowing i'd already messed up once

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Just one drop of super glue on Elena Ilinykh's Swan Lake costume so that that one tiny feather holds on just 5 seconds longer! ;)
I only saw it fall off the 2nd time I watched them after having seen "Costume failure - 1.00" in the protocols :rolleye:
The only "mistake" in a beautiful performance!
The Sochi homepage even has a pic of them at the exact moment the feather falls - I don't even think that was on purpose! :laugh:

sweetskates1

Medalist
If you had the power to alter the moves and performance of a single competitor or pair, who would you choose to affect and how?

I would choose to carry Mao Asada to a clean and perfect FS with all planned triples, including axels!, landed. :p:points::yay::points::)

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Mao needs to axe the 3ax. It's underrotated constantly. Even IF she lands it, she'll probably only get credit for a double and will waste the jumping pass in the LP. If she wants podium, she has to be clean. There's too much depth in the ladies event.

Layfan

Record Breaker
That's a good one. Since you are already using your powers for Mao, I'll use mine for Caro. :love:

bibi24

Final Flight
can u jinx other skaters so ur favorite wins? or is it betters to just power-up your favorite?