Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Russian Audiences

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I didn't see that much of the competitions but the crowd seemed really quiet (bored?) by most non-Russian performances (and happy when threats to Russian skaters faltered).

I think it's mostly a function of fewer true skating fans in the audience whch is probably a function of fewer people travelling to the competition from abroad which is probably a function of bad organization and/or security worries which is a function of bad publicity ahead of the games.
    average local citizens not necessarily skating fans
    also russian Hockey fans went to watch FS, nothing wrong with high turn out of locals
    that means people are interested

On the Ice
    As other people here said this wasn´t a typical audince for figure skating competition. The audince didn´t come to see skating in general, people came to see how Russia was going to get more medals. It is like soccer or ice hockey - you don´t applaud when the opposite team scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashela View Post
    As other people here said this wasn´t a typical audince for figure skating competition. The audince didn´t come to see skating in general, people came to see how Russia was going to get more medals. It is like soccer or ice hockey - you don´t applaud when the opposite team scores.
    Except that the traditional sporting culture of figure skating is that you do. Their behavior wasn't bad for most kinds of sporting events but it's not how figure skating usually works.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Except that the traditional sporting culture of figure skating is that you do. Their behavior wasn't bad for most kinds of sporting events but it's not how figure skating usually works.
    But as has been pointed out, an Olympic crowd is almost always made up primarily of non-figure skating fans. They don't know the figure skating culture. They just react normally.

As I said, I have heard boos and hisses and whistles watching broadcasts from every other country. I never heard a single disrespectful noise while watching the Olympics from Russia.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I merged the old Russian audiences thread with this current one. In the older thread, there was some discussion of American audience at the 2003 Worlds. At the time I wrote up my experience as an audience member. It led to a discussion of figure skating audiences. In case anyone is interested, here's the thread:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...light=Audience

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashela View Post
    this people dont understand
    the audience was made up of 73-92% russians
    most were average local citizens and hockey fans not figure skating fans
    you could it was casual fans

On the Ice
    Here are some things I'd like to clarify about the Russian audience in Sochi:
    1) I agree that most of the crowd were not real figure skating fans, people have arrived from all over the country to cheer for their skaters holding Russian flags with the names of their cities - this is a typical football or hockey crowd and they were behaving as football fans: shouting, supporting Russian skaters whenever it was appropriate or not
    2) Some of them might not even know the names of figure skaters or the elements so they couldn't appreciate some really good skates. Out of Non-Russian skaters the biggest support was given to Carolina, Brian (as the veterans) and probably to some Japanese skaters.
    3) American or Canadian skaters are always met carefully, as well as Russian skaters are met in North America (I can still remember 2013 World Championship, there was awkward silence when any Russian skater was about to take the ice). Btw Julia stated that during Skate Canada 2013 warm-up the audience cheered Gracie, Akiko but when her name was pronounced there was complete silence
    4) If you want to see the most knowledgable Russian audience you'd better come to Moscow, Cup of Russia (I'm not talking about the scores here). These people are not as the crowd in Sochi. They are really interested and supportive, at least I have noticed that.
    5) The fact that the crowd cheered when smb was falling or making mistakes is wrong. People are cheering not because they are happy! It's a way to support the skater. I don't know about other audiences but in Russia they always do that! And if a skater has a heavy fall it's almost obligatory to clap right until the end of the routine.
    6) Finally it's the Olympic Games! I guess the people are under pressure to cheer for Russia, because it's not only figure skating rivalry but also medal rivalry overall. The more medals - the better. Russia has its emperor ambitions, it never can be enough + the revenge for other Olympic losses like Slutskaya for ex. (many people are still angry)
    And please don't write anything about Putin buying medals or whatever! He has nothing to do with figure skating (he came to see team event because he thought he had to as the President, probably to show the world that figure skating is the vital sport for Russia). Apart from the Olympics Putin doesn't care about FS. It's all again his ambitions and trying to show the world that he's knowledgable in the sport which looks really funny as he doesn't really enjoy it and doesn't care much.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    Do we have any Russian poster here who could explain why the audience behaved this way?
    I have watched tons of figure skating competitions and never saw such a patriotic and douche audience.
    Don't forget that in different cultures different gestures mean opposite things! In Russia there's a tradition of clapping when a figure skater falls or really messes up. It's not celebratory! It's a way to cheer an athlete up and help him recover and get some energy again. The harder the fall - more claps he gets. There's nothing disrespectful and I really don't get why people thought it was a way to humiliate athletes. On the contrary, it's a great way to show support regardless the country that the athlete represents.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^ Yes that happened a lot to, thank you for pointing out.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11