Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Russian Audiences

Quote Originally Posted by Artistry View Post
    I speak Russian and longlivethequeen is correct: they were yelling “Russia”, even during Gala!
    Really embarrassing during the whole Olympics.
    Nonsense - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the home crowd shouting 'Russia'. You obviously have never watched a football (soccer) world cup when the home side are playing. The most prominent examples are Argentina 1978 and Mexico 1986. A relative of mine was in the crowd when Mexico played Belgium in 1986. The chants of Me-xi-co were absolutely deafening - his ears were ringing for hours after the match. Was he (a neutral) or the Belgian fans offended? Of course not! On the contrary - it all made for an absolutely marvelous atmosphere. In fact - fans from every country joined in the Mexican waves that the home fans created.

The most raucous crowds I have ever seen are at Ryder Cup matches. Now, those crowds really are fierce and partisan. But do the opposing away fans get upset and feel intimidated? Of course not - its that kind of fierce fan partisanship that is one of the main attractions of the event (creating an amazing atmosphere). And as an away supporter you always know that you are going to have to deal with it. If you feel upset about the Russian fans chanting for the home skaters, then you are somebody who simply would not be able to cope as a travelling away supporter at a Ryder Cup or football match

Custom Title
    But during gala... then how embarrassing. Not even the competition itself.

Custom Title
    I think what makes this particular crowd a "hockey crowd" is that there are few true FS-lovers in the building - it was the 1st go to FS for many people, I bet. Being in Sochi is veeery expensive. I wasn't there..

Custom Title
    I don't want Russian FS-lovers to be associated with rudeness and onther "good" qualities. Sorry Having said all this, I agree that the biggets support was for the Russians. That's not good:(

Custom Title
    The crowd was very generous with their support of Jeremy Abbott after his horrible fall in the short program.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    It's hard to tell by only watching television, but my impression of the audience is very, very positive. I was in Vancouver in 2010 and I think the crowd was much more indifferent to the guest athletes and other non-Canadian fans than the Russians are to non-Russians. Russia is a very open culture where hospitality and natural curiosity to others is part of their very soul. It's North Americans who claim to be hospitable and open, but in reality are rather ignorant and indifferent.

If you look for hostility and disrespect I heard that the soccer World Cup in Korea was by far the worst. So just wait for four more years and we will see....
    You heard wrong about the World Cup. I was in Korea st the time, and as passionate and excited as the crowd was, they were extremely welcoming and gracious. Sports Illustrated even featured an article on how warm the Korean public was to foreign visitors. Also, the Korean crowd at the Grand Prix event a few years back were wildly pro-Yuna but never booed anyone or cheered for anyone's mistakes. In the end, they gave a warm ovation to the winner, Mao Asada.

I don't know, I weren't there. But I think the best audience for figure skating, IMO, are the Japanese. Mostly polite lot. I like.

Custom Title
    Olympic crowd always has twisted nationalism. I get it.

But, They really make a football stadium of a FS rink. My first experience.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Nonsense - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the home crowd shouting 'Russia'. You obviously have never watched a football (soccer) world cup when the home side are playing. The most prominent examples are Argentina 1978 and Mexico 1986. A relative of mine was in the crowd when Mexico played Belgium in 1986. The chants of Me-xi-co were absolutely deafening - his ears were ringing for hours after the match. Was he (a neutral) or the Belgian fans offended? Of course not! On the contrary - it all made for an absolutely marvelous atmosphere. In fact - fans from every country joined in the Mexican waves that the home fans created.

The most raucous crowds I have ever seen are at Ryder Cup matches. Now, those crowds really are fierce and partisan. But do the opposing away fans get upset and feel intimidated? Of course not - its that kind of fierce fan partisanship that is one of the main attractions of the event (creating an amazing atmosphere). And as an away supporter you always know that you are going to have to deal with it. If you feel upset about the Russian fans chanting for the home skaters, then you are somebody who simply would not be able to cope as a travelling away supporter at a Ryder Cup or football match
    ummm... what? We’re talking about this figure skating audience as relative to figure skating audiences. Apples to apples, please.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Point proved. Another multi-pseud Yunabot opens up yet another account to make a hateful comment
    It is weird how some people care more about skating than national pride.

Tripping on the Podium
    What I thought was rude was the Russian audience clapping when other skaters messed up, ie when the German pair skaters messed up in their LP, they clapped because they knew now the Russians were going to win, or when Mao messed up in her SP, they clapped again, because they knew she could not then challenge the russian girls. Have other audiences done that? Tasteless and tacky. If I were russian, I would be embarrassed.

Custom Title
    As I said, I watched pretty much all the skating on TV and didn't have a problem with the crowd. There was no booing, no hissing, no whistling, which I have heard watching skating competitions from other countries...

Crowds will always be partisan. ALWAYS. In EVERY COUNTRY.

Custom Title
    Do we have any Russian poster here who could explain why the audience behaved this way?
    I have watched tons of figure skating competitions and never saw such a patriotic and douche audience.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    Do we have any Russian poster here who could explain why the audience behaved this way?
    I have watched tons of figure skating competitions and never saw such a patriotic and douche audience.
    most are average russian citizens, 70-92% tickets sold to locals
    the same people who also watch the Hockey Games bought tickets

I didn't see that much of the competitions but the crowd seemed really quiet (bored?) by most non-Russian performances (and happy when threats to Russian skaters faltered).

I think it's mostly a function of fewer true skating fans in the audience whch is probably a function of fewer people travelling to the competition from abroad which is probably a function of bad organization and/or security worries which is a function of bad publicity ahead of the games.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast