Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 159

Thread: Russian Audiences

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkater View Post
    I was at both the Worlds in 2001 in Vancouver & the Worlds in 2003 in Washington.
    The US crowd were awful to most non-North American skaters.
    The crowd reaction in 2003 to Elena Sokolova made me cringe.
    Also to many of the Ice Dancers. Silence for many.
    So I think it's a bit rich to be on Russian skating fan's backs because they want to cheer their own skaters.
    Let's face it people are looking for a stick to beat Russia with on these boards.
    Russia have the Olympics & they are supporting their own skaters. It happens at every Olympics.
    Get over it.
    I was at both world championships. Michelle Kwan (USA) won in Washington, but I don't recall an "awful" audience reaction for Elena who finished with a silver medal. Plushenko beat Goebel - no awful reaction there, and Shen & Zhao got a standing ovation. So don't know what competition you were watching but it wasn't an accurate report on the US audience in 2003 Worlds.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    92% tickets sold have been for Russians
    but nothing wrong with that, the more national support, the better it is their Olympics held event after all

    Chan isn't liked obviously because many think he is a threat to Plushenko
    Yuzuru Hanyu is well received in Russia, also Carolina Kostner is the favorite non Russian among most Russians
    V/M have some sort of coldness for some reason that is not much appreciated

    overall they will cheer for everone
    but watch Carolina and Yuzuru if they deliver in individuals they will also get loud cheers and response
    I remember at the Vancouver time what a bad press did Plushenko have, he was seen only as a joke. Most of it from the canadian Press. And the debacle with the video for the judges where Plushenko was given as a bad example (i find that not good to do with high profile figure skater, regardles their name and country, as that gives prejudgement). If i remember that, and i am not russian, isn't it quite possible that a lot of russian remember that too?

    I don't think that Chan is not liked because is a main rival of Plushenko. Lambiel was too,Joubert was too, Yuzuru as well and they are very liked by the russian. I don't know what Chan has so unlikeable about him, but somehow it doesn't charm the ocasional figure skating whatcher. He miss something, i cannot put my finger on it. When i watched him i can admire his qualities and i am still very cold towards him. When Yuzuru skates is all there: charisma, spark, dynamic. He gives the image of a complete sportsman, while Chan give the image of an artist. I Think that the most occasional FS fans want to see a sportman as they are whatching a sport and a competition.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,437
    Plushenko has always been well received by US audiences. I've been to competitions where he got a standing ovation even before he started to skate. US audiences are a little stingy with standing ovations---they don't give them for US skaters unless they turn in an outstanding effort. But they will stand up for a great skate by anyone, regardless of nationality.

    OTOH, in Canada, all the Canadian skaters get standing ovations before and after they skate, no matter what kind of performance they gave. Non-Canadian competitors have to be truly exceptional to get anything other than polite applause.

  4. #19
    Custom Title Silvia451's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by aschiutza View Post
    He gives the image of a complete sportsman, while Chan give the image of an artist. I Think that the most occasional FS fans want to see a sportman as they are whatching a sport and a competition.
    Lambiel was an artist too and the crowd loved him.

    I appreciate Chan, but I can't say I like him. I usually expect him to win, but he never impressed me. But this is just my personal opinion. However, I can say I can't forget how he won the WC last year, with two (let's say two and a half) falls, compared to Denis Ten's almost perfect program.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    298
    Yes, Lambiel was an artist too (and Yuzuru is also), but what i mean is that they have as well what i think to be the best qualities for a sportsman: charisma, dynamic, spark , athletics qualities. They all have power. I don't feel power from Chan (well, it may be a cultural thing how we feel the power and what we call power).

  6. #21
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    Audience is supportive of all skaters but they are too loud for Russians, I mean it extreme level and I ve been to many competitions to compare, arena is also huge and when they use drums and make noise with their feet for Russians it sounds like the end of the world is coming.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    553
    I've attended competitions in France, US, Canada and Japan and while the home bias was more or less there, it was never as obvious or almost cold as it seems here in Sochi! I mean you only have to look at the crowd after each performance. Their hands are not where you expect them to be! The crowd here is almost mute for non Russians, with a few exceptions.

    Another thing is Olympics seem to attract more casual audience compared to Worlds and other comps. Nagano '98 vs. Tokyo '07, Vancouver '10 vs. Vancouver '01/London '13, Sochi vs. Moscow '05/'11 (and no I didn't attend all these comps- I wish!!)- the former (Olympics) always a bit more subdued than the latter (Worlds)?? Olympics audience are not as 'sophisticated' I guess.

  8. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post

    Another thing is Olympics seem to attract more casual audience compared to Worlds and other comps. Nagano '98 vs. Tokyo '07, Vancouver '10 vs. Vancouver '01/London '13, Sochi vs. Moscow '05/'11 (and no I didn't attend all these comps- I wish!!)- the former (Olympics) always a bit more subdued than the latter (Worlds)?? Olympics audience are not as 'sophisticated' I guess.
    because the Sochi Olympics is catered for the general russian public
    nothing wrong with that

    not sure what you mean by " not as sophisticated " audience
    the same can be said in London, Vancouver etc

  9. #24
    Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    914
    I have no intention of generalizing about all russians or the whole audience or to make the russians out to be not as good a crowd as who knows which nations crowd is, but I don't like the "Russia! Rissua!" calls at all. Hanyu even warned the other Team Japan members not to get scared, and that the screams would be so loud you can't hear anything else, not even the commentator! That's too much. These athletes have a lot of pressure on their backs anyway, and they have the right to have a calm minute to come down and focus before they skate. Worst thing is, that there was no russian skater in Hanyus warm-up group. I get shouting to support skaters that are on the ice, but what are you screaming "Russia!" for if there is no russian on the ice to support? You can even hear them scream before Chan and Hanyu started to skate, and again, no russian skater in sight at all! IMO, that's disrespectful and disruptive to those skaters, who must feel like they aren't very welcomed. It's even halfway okay if they are more lukewarm about non-russia skaters and won't applaud as much, but if the skaters are getting scared, something is very wrong.

    It's even more lovely to see how the skaters, even from different nations, cheered for each other. Ashley and Charlie were cheering for absolutly everyone, everytime I saw them, and not to forget "Team every1".

    Hopefully it will be different for the individual events. This audience + the weird scoring must be really disappointing for the skaters (at least what's a lot of their faces looked like in the K'n'C too).

  10. #25
    Kisdom Title TMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    I have no intention of generalizing about all russians or the whole audience or to make the russians out to be not as good a crowd as who knows which nations crowd is, but I don't like the "Russia! Rissua!" calls at all. Hanyu even warned the other Team Japan members not to get scared, and that the screams would be so loud you can't hear anything else, not even the commentator! That's too much. These athletes have a lot of pressure on their backs anyway, and they have the right to have a calm minute to come down and focus before they skate. Worst thing is, that there was no russian skater in Hanyus warm-up group. I get shouting to support skaters that are on the ice, but what are you screaming "Russia!" for if there is no russian on the ice to support? You can even hear them scream before Chan and Hanyu started to skate, and again, no russian skater in sight at all! IMO, that's disrespectful and disruptive to those skaters, who must feel like they aren't very welcomed. It's even halfway okay if they are more lukewarm about non-russia skaters and won't applaud as much, but if the skaters are getting scared, something is very wrong.

    It's even more lovely to see how the skaters, even from different nations, cheered for each other. Ashley and Charlie were cheering for absolutly everyone, everytime I saw them, and not to forget "Team every1".

    Hopefully it will be different for the individual events. This audience + the weird scoring must be really disappointing for the skaters (at least what's a lot of their faces looked like in the K'n'C too).
    Totally agree with everything you say.

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    I was at both world championships. Michelle Kwan (USA) won in Washington, but I don't recall an "awful" audience reaction for Elena who finished with a silver medal. Plushenko beat Goebel - no awful reaction there, and Shen & Zhao got a standing ovation. So don't know what competition you were watching but it wasn't an accurate report on the US audience in 2003 Worlds.
    I did not mention Shen/Zhao or Plushenko who were World famous stars & no threat to a US Gold medal in Washington (Goebel behind).
    I did sit behind people who made personal comments about Sokolova & Volchkova while waving the US flag.
    Also, do not accuse me of lying. Just because the section you were sitting in was okay does not mean others were the same.
    The Ice Dance free in Vancouver 2001 was silent apart from when the US couples skated. Turn that around to Nice in 2000 or Dortmund 2004 or Moscow 2005 & the Non-European couples were given lot's of cheers & support.

  12. #27
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,127
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    I was at both world championships. Michelle Kwan (USA) won in Washington, but I don't recall an "awful" audience reaction for Elena who finished with a silver medal. Plushenko beat Goebel - no awful reaction there, and Shen & Zhao got a standing ovation. So don't know what competition you were watching but it wasn't an accurate report on the US audience in 2003 Worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkater View Post
    I did not mention Shen/Zhao or Plushenko who were World famous stars & no threat to a US Gold medal in Washington (Goebel behind).
    I did sit behind people who made personal comments about Sokolova & Volchkova while waving the US flag.
    Also, do not accuse me of lying. Just because the section you were sitting in was okay does not mean others were the same.
    The Ice Dance free in Vancouver 2001 was silent apart from when the US couples skated. Turn that around to Nice in 2000 or Dortmund 2004 or Moscow 2005 & the Non-European couples were given lot's of cheers & support.
    As I recall, and we were there for both the CD and OD, ShaeLynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz won, and got a standing ovation. They're Canadian, not American.
    Lobacheva & Averbukh skated in some of the most appalling costumes I've seen, and the crowd did not take to them at all. There was some Shock and Awe when Wing & Lowe skated to Lennon's "Imagine" on the eve of the Iraq War. The crowd loved Denkova & Staviyski' s great Baroque OD, and they are not American. So I don't really agree.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    As I recall, and we were there for both the CD and OD, ShaeLynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz won, and got a standing ovation. They're Canadian, not American.
    Lobacheva & Averbukh skated in some of the most appalling costumes I've seen, and the crowd did not take to them at all. There was some Shock and Awe when Wing & Lowe skated to Lennon's "Imagine" on the eve of the Iraq War. The crowd loved Denkova & Staviyski' s great Baroque OD, and they are not American. So I don't really agree.
    That's a shock (!)

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    428
    I really feel disturbed by this Olympics because of all the anti-Russian brouhaha, attempting to upend the games politically, and I'm not even Russian! Perhaps it's not obvious to those who are used to propaganda techniques, but all these troll threads, the terrorism scares, the gay boycotts, the vicious rumors about scores fixing, about guy getting killed for messing up the Opening Ceremony, the uproar over Russian audiences applause, etc, they sound so much like some psyop. Just let the athletes shine and have their day, stop the politicking, this is the Olympics!

    Maybe I am mistaken but I heard alot of applause for Hanyu, Jason Brown, and even when Mao fell on her triple axel, there was encouraging applause for her as she got up from her fall, and her next jump was loudly applauded too.

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    I've attended competitions in France, US, Canada and Japan and while the home bias was more or less there, it was never as obvious or almost cold as it seems here in Sochi! I mean you only have to look at the crowd after each performance. Their hands are not where you expect them to be! The crowd here is almost mute for non Russians, with a few exceptions.

    Another thing is Olympics seem to attract more casual audience compared to Worlds and other comps. Nagano '98 vs. Tokyo '07, Vancouver '10 vs. Vancouver '01/London '13, Sochi vs. Moscow '05/'11 (and no I didn't attend all these comps- I wish!!)- the former (Olympics) always a bit more subdued than the latter (Worlds)?? Olympics audience are not as 'sophisticated' I guess.
    That's true. This is not a World Cup or Foot ball game. The Russia call is soooo annoying when skaters have to be ready before the music start. Japanese journal said that Mao couldnt control herself when the audience call Russia when she's on the ice

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •