Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Russian Audiences

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkater View Post
    That's a shock (!)
    ? Did you think B &K got a substandard standing O?
    http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/home

The British Eurosport guys even commented on home much the crowd got into it.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-11-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Well today we will see if the audience change, I think it is true, the team event was sold to russian general audience, not figure skating audience so they think it is ok support just for their team even when other skater of another nationality is on the ice or in k&c. By the way why Argentina or Chile dont host winter games?, it would be great, they get enough snow right?

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSkater View Post
    That's a shock (!)
    For that matter, Lobacheva & Averbukh got a partial standing O and people clapped along to their music, despite the chartreuse (which is somewhat toned down in this video)
    http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=FZsVI0Xq41s

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    ? Did you think B &K got a substandard standing O?
    http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/home

The British Eurosport guys even commented on home much the crowd got into it.
    B & K are North American, I was talking about European skaters.
    I'm not going around in circles with you.
    The hate directed to Russia over these Olympics is scary.
    Threads started every day in order to make out that Russia is doing a bad job.
    I have two sisters & a friend out in Sochi. The events they have gone to have been amazing (Including the opening day of the team event). ALL nations have been welcomed & supported by the Russian people.

L&A got a very nice applause. They are Russian. Navka and Kostamarov got a better applause, even, but I can't find a vid on YouTube to jog your memory,but they are Russian. Denkova and Staviyski are European, if not Russian,and their od, was the absolute highlight of dance for me that year. Navka' s OD was a close second

Canadians and Americans would both feel insulted if you said we were identical, which you just did. Do you think all Canadians are going to be happy if D&W win in Sochi? Do you think all Americans are going to be happy if V&M win in Sochi?

But I'm glad your family is having a great time in Sochi. I wish I could be there!
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-11-2014 at 07:53 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    I have no intention of generalizing about all russians or the whole audience or to make the russians out to be not as good a crowd as who knows which nations crowd is, but I don't like the "Russia! Rissua!" calls at all. Hanyu even warned the other Team Japan members not to get scared, and that the screams would be so loud you can't hear anything else, not even the commentator! That's too much. These athletes have a lot of pressure on their backs anyway, and they have the right to have a calm minute to come down and focus before they skate. Worst thing is, that there was no russian skater in Hanyus warm-up group. I get shouting to support skaters that are on the ice, but what are you screaming "Russia!" for if there is no russian on the ice to support? You can even hear them scream before Chan and Hanyu started to skate, and again, no russian skater in sight at all! IMO, that's disrespectful and disruptive to those skaters, who must feel like they aren't very welcomed. It's even halfway okay if they are more lukewarm about non-russia skaters and won't applaud as much, but if the skaters are getting scared, something is very wrong.

It's even more lovely to see how the skaters, even from different nations, cheered for each other. Ashley and Charlie were cheering for absolutly everyone, everytime I saw them, and not to forget "Team every1".

Hopefully it will be different for the individual events. This audience + the weird scoring must be really disappointing for the skaters (at least what's a lot of their faces looked like in the K'n'C too).
    again the Olympics have been catered for Russian general public
    it is reported 92% of tickets sold to Figure Skating were to russians, nothing wrong with that that shows good support for the games
    also we must respect other cultures. expect more russians to be in individual events

here is also what BBC has said recently for the rest of the Olympic Games and events sold tickets

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/winter-olympics/25886926
    Sochi organisers say ticket sales are "significantly above expectations", with a total of 924,802 sold so far. Dmitry Perlin, the head of Sochi's ticketing department, says 70% to 75% of tickets have been bought by Russians.

He also stated that Japan and Germany sold out of their allotted ticket quotas which range in price from $15 up to $1,500 for the best seats at the opening ceremony. The average cost of a ticket is approximately $115 (£70).

Custom Title
    I really don't know how you can know where the cheerers are from.

Custom Title
    Some reporters on the Canadian coverage have said that even during the Opening Ceremonies (which you can say were quite well done, in most people's opinion), that the audience was quieter and more reserved than one might expect.

Maybe they are simply as a culture not as effusive in their praise, except for those who reach them the most, along with their home team who of course they are going to support at this rare opportunity to do so - and who also happened to skate extremely well.

Here where I live, when I go to (non-skating, non-sports) shows with my friend, he is always rolling his eyes saying that people give standing ovations far too easily, as if they feel they always are supposed to.

Custom Title
    Out of curiosity I just googled "sochi olympics empty seats" and got back "About 25,500,000 results." It is not going unnoticed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Out of curiosity I just googled "sochi olympics empty seats" and got back "About 25,500,000 results." It is not going unnoticed.
    Out of curiosity I just googled "sochi olympics crazy fans" and got back "About 83.400.000 results."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    Out of curiosity I just googled "sochi olympics crazy fans" and got back "About 83.400.000 results."
    Apparently that is not going unnoticed either

Custom Title
    From my television it does seem different from any competition I've seen in any other country that I've been to or seen on TV, but I will try not to paint as broad a stroke as others here just like posts here about fans from each country generalizing an entire population based on a tiny sample of posts here from other fans in different threads. 3 Russian posters or 3 Canadian posters, etc. do not give me anywhere near the data needed to make any assessment of fans from these countries.

Someone here mentions it also depends on your seat and I recall having a basically empty row behind me at 99 nationals where many skaters would come sit together after they skated which included Amber Corwin and many other lesser known female skaters who spent the rest of the competition talking exclusively about Kwan and it wasn't nice, it was chock full of profanity and there wasn't a name they didn't call her including every variation you could think of for "easy woman" even chanting "fall" when she skated. (there were 2 little old ladies that finally told them to shut up and they subsequently made fun of these ladies too) But I didn't generalize anything based on this sample.

But at least from my TV, my impression of the crowd in the team event was nothing like I've ever seen in relation to response for other countries. Expecting Russia not to get a little overzealous about their own skaters seems a bit unrealistic.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    L&A got a very nice applause. They are Russian. Navka and Kostamarov got a better applause, even, but I can't find a vid on YouTube to jog your memory,but they are Russian. Denkova and Staviyski are European, if not Russian,and their od, was the absolute highlight of dance for me that year. Navka' s OD was a close second

Canadians and Americans would both feel insulted if you said we were identical, which you just did. Do you think all Canadians are going to be happy if D&W win in Sochi? Do you think all Americans are going to be happy if V&M win in Sochi?

But I'm glad your family is having a great time in Sochi. I wish I could be there!
    I wish I was there too !.
    I NEVER said Canadians & Americans were the same.
    I was born & raised in the US & now live in Europe, so I know that to group Canadians & Americans together is not right.
    I'm not having a go at either Canadians OR Americans, I'm just saying that it is only natural that you support your own skaters when they are at home-just like the 2001 & 2003 Worlds & that it has happened before.

The Russian crowd just loved S/S's performance, even though they are V/T's rivals.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvia451 View Post
    The Russian crowd just loved S/S's performance, even though they are V/T's rivals.
    they did and they also loved their Nutcracker FS

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast