Russian Audiences | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Russian Audiences

meem

On the Ice
snip

When Robin fel there was a lot of noise, but I didn't understand what kind of...

I watched this event twice: first time on NBC Sports Network in the morning and didn't notice anything (maybe I was too distracted & dismayed). Last night I watched again on the regular NBC broadcast and as soon as Robin fell I heard hooting and applause (and the hooting wasn't from a few people). Reminded me of World's (I think it was World's) in Russia when Sasha Cohen was skating and people were reporting that a lot of folks in the audience were shouting "fall".

Amei

Record Breaker
I was thoroughly impressed by the by the crowd after the Jeremy Abbott skate, a lot people were standing at the end of his program.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I was thoroughly impressed by the by the crowd after the Jeremy Abbott skate, a lot people were standing at the end of his program.

The crowd did seem more supportive today than it did during pairs. Perhaps the type of fans who'd cheer at a rival's fall were among the large number of people who left after Plushenko withdrew, and the ones who remained were the ones who genuinely appreciate figure skating, regardless of country? :think:

vegarin

On the Ice
The crowd did seem more supportive today than it did during pairs. Perhaps the type of fans who'd cheer at a rival's fall were among the large number of people who left after Plushenko withdrew, and the ones who remained were the ones who genuinely appreciate figure skating, regardless of country? :think:
Possibly. And Hanyu and Chan and Jason were no longer Plushy's rivals, so I think that helped. Not that I don't understand the reasons. If I was a Russian who loved Hanyu more, I still wouldn't try to cheer for him any louder than I would cheer for my fellow countryman.

That said, I'm worried for dance, and I'm definitely freaked out about ladies.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Ladies is my biggest fear too. I am scared what this crowd will do for the ladies who are able to perform great programs, but not so well under pressure and how they feel in an football stadium atmosphere with Russia, Russia chants disturbing their concentration. I still think though, that Yuna will all leave them in the dust. She is just too good to be petrified.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania

Maybe, but I think the difference was that yesterday there were more fans of the others' skaters. For example, there were a lot of Japanese flags and people were supporting the three skaters. Also, Denis Ten had a lot of supporters from his country.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Not these 1 post trolls again...:rolleye:

Did anyone notice that the Russians also cheered when Russian skaters faltered? They cheered when Plushenko withdrew, so was that an attack or accolade? They cheered Jeremy Abbott after he fell, so was that an attack on his psyche or encouragement? They also cheered when Mao fell on her triple axel, and cheered again when she landed her next jump, so was that triple axel applause an attack or encouragement?

I am very disappointed in S/S's assertion that they were undermined by the audience, it was no fault of anyone but Robin's when he fell on his jump, or when they decided to do the triple axel throw, knowing full well that they had not landed it in competitions. That put them behind both Russian teams who skated cleanly. I interpreted the applause after Robin fell the same way as that of Abbott's. I think it is reflective more on the recipients than this audience.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Could you stop putting people in categories, please? Not everybody who critizises the audience is a Russia-hater.

millie

Medalist
According to news reports, the Russian audiences were very supportive of Jeremy. When he regained his composure after his fall, the audience cheered him right to the end. What more do you want....peanut butter and jelly on it. Get over it already. People hear what they want to hear, either good or bad.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
According to news reports, the Russian audiences were very supportive of Jeremy. When he regained his composure after his fall, the audience cheered him right to the end. What more do you want....peanut butter and jelly on it. Get over it already. People hear what they want to hear, either good or bad.

:thumbsup: now, Im sure thodays FS will be one of the best with a great support

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
[SUB][/SUB]
:thumbsup: now, Im sure thodays FS will be one of the best with a great support

I hope so. At least those who show up today will be showing up to watch, cheer, and respect other countries' skaters, instead of waiting to watch just Plushenko and then taking off.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I hope so. At least those who show up today will be showing up to watch, cheer, and respect other countries' skaters, instead of watching Plushenko and then leaving.

good skates with a great skate - 20 gap points from the champion is my ideal momentum

amateur

Final Flight
Not these 1 post trolls again...:rolleye:

Did anyone notice that the Russians also cheered when Russian skaters faltered? They cheered when Plushenko withdrew, so was that an attack or accolade? They cheered Jeremy Abbott after he fell, so was that an attack on his psyche or encouragement? They also cheered when Mao fell on her triple axel, and cheered again when she landed her next jump, so was that triple axel applause an attack or encouragement?

I am very disappointed in S/S's assertion that they were undermined by the audience, it was no fault of anyone but Robin's when he fell on his jump, or when they decided to do the triple axel throw, knowing full well that they had not landed it in competitions. That put them behind both Russian teams who skated cleanly. I interpreted the applause after Robin fell the same way as that of Abbott's. I think it is reflective more on the recipients than this audience.

The crowd also cheered when Liam Firus, the very first skater in the Men's SP, fell on his first jump. I somehow doubt they were doing it to say: "Yeah! that increases our Plushenko's chances!!"

millie

Medalist
Do you ever think, that when skaters fall, the audience cheers not because they fall but to give them support to get up and skate on.

amateur

Final Flight
^ If you were directing that at me, then yes, that's entirely what I was trying to say, also.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm watching curling and I notice the Russians start a "Russia! Russia!" chant not when their own team is throwing rocks, but rather when the *opposing* team is throwing rocks. Since curling is about communication between teammates and concentration, it's an unwelcome distraction, and frankly rather unsportsmanlike. :rolleye:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh and the crowd is also cheering when the opposing team misses their shots. :rolleye: The announcers are even saying how the crowd is trying to get the opposing team to miss by cheering loudly.