Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Russian Audiences

Custom Title
    Enthusiastic support and cheering for home athletes are to be expected, and appreciated by those athletes. I think the Team Event being inherently nationalistic brought out even more nationalism. It would be bad though if the extreme nationalism gets carried over to the individual events.

Custom Title
    I haven't heard cheers on the skaters falling. Really. The only thing that I personally Don't like is when the audience shouts RO-SSI-YAAA!!! I think thats dumb if Im being honest. Just not my thing. Id feel awkward. And also I don't think that the crowd in Sochi doesn't clap or smth for other skaters. The audience loved Carolina as an example..The only problem that I have is that the Russian skaters are pushed in scores. Plushenko, Bazarova/Larionov, Julia, even Ksenia/Klimov a bit. I didn't expect that Gracie would get 130 for a CLEAN program and Julia 141. I am a Julia's fan and I think it was unjust.

Custom Title
    Aliona & Robin apparently picked up on the strange 'loyal' crowd reactions to their performance. Icenetwork article:
    - their music was welcomed with cheers because it was The Nutcracker
    - "Szolkowy fell on a triple toe loop and the crowd cheered again ... The cheers were not lost on the Germans"
    - "At least they clapped after our performance."

In the audience's defense (though I still stick to my earlier rant & frustrations) - it's never easy to have a 'good' reaction when a team/skater is having a rough skate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Aliona & Robin apparently picked up on the strange 'loyal' crowd reactions to their performance. Icenetwork article:
    - their music was welcomed with cheers because it was The Nutcracker
    - "Szolkowy fell on a triple toe loop and the crowd cheered again ... The cheers were not lost on the Germans"
    - "At least they clapped after our performance."

In the audience's defense (though I still stick to my earlier rant & frustrations) - it's never easy to have a 'good' reaction when a team/skater is having a rough skate.
    Full quote from the Icenetwork artice:
    The crowd in the Iceberg Skating Palace was boisterous and loyal to the Russian skaters, but once they recognized the opening notes to the Germans' music, which was from the classic Tchiakovsky ballet, The Nutcracker, the fans began to cheer.

Shortly after the Germans opened their program, though, Szolkowy fell on a triple toe loop and the crowd cheered again, this time knowing full well that the gold would end up in Russian hands. The cheers were not lost on the Germans. Savchenko and Szolkowy did not give up on their program, even attempting the throw triple Axel at the very end, but Savchenko fell, and so did their gold-medal hopes.

"For me, it was not the best to skate here," Szolkowy said. "We are in Russia and Russian skaters are on the ice. I would say it would be the same in Germany. At least they clapped after our performance.

"This is a really hard time for us right now," Szolkowy added. "Yesterday, we were in second place after the short program and we wanted to fight to win. Now, it feels like we lost a lot."

Medalist
    I noted since short program Team Event that for the main competitors (with russians) few applauses, when we had great performances...

When Robin fel there was a lot of noise, but I didn't understand what kind of...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TelmoFe View Post
    snip

When Robin fel there was a lot of noise, but I didn't understand what kind of...
    I watched this event twice: first time on NBC Sports Network in the morning and didn't notice anything (maybe I was too distracted & dismayed). Last night I watched again on the regular NBC broadcast and as soon as Robin fell I heard hooting and applause (and the hooting wasn't from a few people). Reminded me of World's (I think it was World's) in Russia when Sasha Cohen was skating and people were reporting that a lot of folks in the audience were shouting "fall".

Custom Title
    I was thoroughly impressed by the by the crowd after the Jeremy Abbott skate, a lot people were standing at the end of his program.

Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    I was thoroughly impressed by the by the crowd after the Jeremy Abbott skate, a lot people were standing at the end of his program.
    The crowd did seem more supportive today than it did during pairs. Perhaps the type of fans who'd cheer at a rival's fall were among the large number of people who left after Plushenko withdrew, and the ones who remained were the ones who genuinely appreciate figure skating, regardless of country?

Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    The crowd did seem more supportive today than it did during pairs. Perhaps the type of fans who'd cheer at a rival's fall were among the large number of people who left after Plushenko withdrew, and the ones who remained were the ones who genuinely appreciate figure skating, regardless of country?
    Possibly. And Hanyu and Chan and Jason were no longer Plushy's rivals, so I think that helped. Not that I don't understand the reasons. If I was a Russian who loved Hanyu more, I still wouldn't try to cheer for him any louder than I would cheer for my fellow countryman.

That said, I'm worried for dance, and I'm definitely freaked out about ladies.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Ladies is my biggest fear too. I am scared what this crowd will do for the ladies who are able to perform great programs, but not so well under pressure and how they feel in an football stadium atmosphere with Russia, Russia chants disturbing their concentration. I still think though, that Yuna will all leave them in the dust. She is just too good to be petrified.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    Maybe, but I think the difference was that yesterday there were more fans of the others' skaters. For example, there were a lot of Japanese flags and people were supporting the three skaters. Also, Denis Ten had a lot of supporters from his country.

Custom Title
    Not these 1 post trolls again...

Did anyone notice that the Russians also cheered when Russian skaters faltered? They cheered when Plushenko withdrew, so was that an attack or accolade? They cheered Jeremy Abbott after he fell, so was that an attack on his psyche or encouragement? They also cheered when Mao fell on her triple axel, and cheered again when she landed her next jump, so was that triple axel applause an attack or encouragement?

I am very disappointed in S/S's assertion that they were undermined by the audience, it was no fault of anyone but Robin's when he fell on his jump, or when they decided to do the triple axel throw, knowing full well that they had not landed it in competitions. That put them behind both Russian teams who skated cleanly. I interpreted the applause after Robin fell the same way as that of Abbott's. I think it is reflective more on the recipients than this audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9p1gUU7olw Russian Nat. Evgenia Tarasova fell very badly from the lift and the audience cheered her too. Many of viewers was crying. Bad, evil Russians.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Could you stop putting people in categories, please? Not everybody who critizises the audience is a Russia-hater.

Custom Title
    According to news reports, the Russian audiences were very supportive of Jeremy. When he regained his composure after his fall, the audience cheered him right to the end. What more do you want....peanut butter and jelly on it. Get over it already. People hear what they want to hear, either good or bad.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast