The feelings/rant/etc. thread. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The feelings/rant/etc. thread.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Mr Trankov and Ms Duhamel need someone who actually knows how to cut hair to work on theirs. Sweet Jeebus, lawn mowers on crack could do a better job.

I hope Ms. Virtue donates her team LP dress to a museum because it was that beautiful. Mr. Mor however should avoid the "velour track suit with puffy sleeves" look in the future.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Olympics-related rants
Julia needs to smile! She's super serious all the time!
Evgeni, your kisses does not impress me.
Agreeing with most of you, stop the anonymous judging.
Jeremy, you need to go!
Yuna, why did you stay home? I want her all over the Olympic village and have fun.
Jason needs to cut his hair. However, it'll be like a Samson effect.
Tara, Sandra, and Sarah needs to stop gushing (ala Peggy) and wait until the Ladies event. It ain't over until it's over.
If there's an excessive amount of inflation/Plushflation during the Men's SP when it's not deserve, heads will roll.

Raves
I love Akiko's LP dress.
I love Carolina's SP dress.
Never change, Johnny! Never change!
Gracie is impressing me, each competition at a time.
Four years ago it was Yuna > Mao. Now it's Yuna = Mao. I love them equally. On the other hand, in 2010 it was Voir > Merlie. Now it's Merlie > Voir. Scott really turned me off.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Here we go:

1) I am sick of teens that look like they are five winning gold medals when Prima Ballerinas that have devoted their lives to the craft get nil.
2) Julia, Plushenko, were massively overscored.
3) Japanese skaters like Mao, Akiko, Daisuke and Tatsuki are going to get raped in the scores - it is obvious.
4) I/K's Elena came across as very full of herself on American TV replay last night. Insufferable.
5) The Canadian commentator on NBC is really awful - she should not be on our screens. D/W are to be celebrated and she is not the right person to lead us in celebration.
6) Lysacek is all class, Plushenko continues to be so smug - it is really unbecoming.
7) The despicable rumor is unfairly deflecting from the greatness of Davis/White
8) Their FD world record is a fair one and the gap between their total score should have been the same since last year.
9) Meryl needs to change her dress. I do not like the darker color or material for the SD and I prefer the light FD dress she wore to Nationals..
10) The Russian audience is not appreciative of the skaters I most love.
11) I am sick of Russians vs Canadians vs Americans on these boards. It is nasty and unnecessary. So many beautiful skills and talents have come from all three nations and we are not celebrating this enough. Also, the Japanese are vastly underrated and it is making me very sad.
12) I am still hurting because of Abbott's implosion.... reeling.... I know he will implode further and expect him to be between 11th and 13th.
13) The veterans are getting crapped on - except for Plushenko.
14) S/S are making too many changes and leaving too many options.
15) Our American pairs suck and the possibility of improving is unlikelier than ever.
16) I do not really like either Gold or Wagner - I love loving my American ladies and I just do not for this Olympics.
17) I know Mirai would have landed last in the SD and not advance to the FD given the intolerance for underrotations at this Olympics.
18) I have all of my hopes for any medal resting on the performance of D/W.
19) I have zero confidence in our Pairs/Ladies/Mens and know they will all return empty handed. That is embarrassing.
20) So many of my beloved skaters will return home without medals to retire - it makes me extremely sad. I have a quadless Jason Brown, Max Aaron and Richard Dorbush to look forward too. Ugggh....

sweetskates1

Medalist
Tessa's dress is absolutely gorgeous - she looks like a Russian bride. It is gorgeous and I think that Scott should complement her with a costume that has less black on it.

Mr Trankov and Ms Duhamel need someone who actually knows how to cut hair to work on theirs. Sweet Jeebus, lawn mowers on crack could do a better job.

I hope Ms. Virtue donates her team LP dress to a museum because it was that beautiful. Mr. Mor however should avoid the "velour track suit with puffy sleeves" look in the future.

Gigi13

On the Ice
here we go:

1) i am sick of teens that look like they are five winning gold medals when prima ballerinas that have devoted their lives to the craft get nil.
2) julia, plushenko, were massively overscored.
3) japanese skaters like mao, akiko, daisuke and tatsuki are going to get raped in the scores - it is obvious.
4) i/k's elena came across as very full of herself on american tv replay last night. Insufferable.
5) the canadian commentator on nbc is really awful - she should not be on our screens. D/w are to be celebrated and she is not the right person to lead us in celebration.
6) lysacek is all class, plushenko continues to be so smug - it is really unbecoming.
7) the despicable rumor is unfairly deflecting from the greatness of davis/white
8) their fd world record is a fair one and the gap between their total score should have been the same since last year.
9) meryl needs to change her dress. I do not like the darker color or material for the sd and i prefer the light fd dress she wore to nationals..
10) the russian audience is not appreciative of the skaters i most love.
11) i am sick of russians vs canadians vs americans on these boards. It is nasty and unnecessary. So many beautiful skills and talents have come from all three nations and we are not celebrating this enough. Also, the japanese are vastly underrated and it is making me very sad.
12) i am still hurting because of abbott's implosion.... Reeling.... I know he will implode further and expect him to be between 11th and 13th.
13) the veterans are getting crapped on - except for plushenko.
14) s/s are making too many changes and leaving too many options.
15) our american pairs suck and the possibility of improving is unlikelier than ever.
16) i do not really like either gold or wagner - i love loving my american ladies and i just do not for this olympics.
17) i know mirai would have landed last in the sd and not advance to the fd given the intolerance for underrotations at this olympics.
18) i have all of my hopes for any medal resting on the performance of d/w.
19) i have zero confidence in our pairs/ladies/mens and know they will all return empty handed. That is embarrassing.
20) so many of my beloved skaters will return home without medals to retire - it makes me extremely sad. I have a quadless jason brown, max aaron and richard dorbush to look forward too. Ugggh....
this. All of this.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
15) Our American pairs suck and the possibility of improving is unlikelier than ever.

Definitely do not agree with this at all. Marissa and Simon have made some clear improvements since the last quad. The SP, in particular, is full of amazing choreography and transitions and it's quite impressive that they scored 64+ even with a major error on their SBS jumps. They also got a new PB in their free skate as well.

Here is there SP from the fall of 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEzmY12Q7ac

If you compare that with their SP from this season...you can see a LOT Of improvement.

The SP at U.S. Nationals WAS AMAZING, pretty much everyone in the top 7 stepped it up.

Our U.S. pairs are not competitive internationally, but that will come with time, I think, especially with several of the top pairs retiring.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Meh... I am glad you are optimistic and I hope I eat my words.

Definitely do not agree with this at all. Marissa and Simon have made some clear improvements since the last quad. The SP, in particular, is full of amazing choreography and transitions and it's quite impressive that they scored 64+ even with a major error on their SBS jumps. They also got a new PB in their free skate as well.

Here is there SP from the fall of 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEzmY12Q7ac

If you compare that with their SP from this season...you can see a LOT Of improvement.

The SP at U.S. Nationals WAS AMAZING, pretty much everyone in the top 7 stepped it up.

Our U.S. pairs are not competitive internationally, but that will come with time, I think, especially with several of the top pairs retiring.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I burst into tears when I learned that Daisuke Takahashi had arrived in Sochi.

(Hey, you said this was the "feelings" thread.)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I've been mostly watching--thanks to a friend of mind--the Canadian coverage and I am shocked at just how much of an apologist Kurt Browning is for Canadian skaters. On the other hand, I could listen to Carol Lane all day--while she appears contractually obligated to be pro-Canadian, she's fair more reasonable about it. I fully expect to be handed my butt for saying that...

...And for saying this. I've been a Yankees fan my whole life (I was born in the Bronx, after all), but I've never seen crowds as partisan as the ones I've seen here. Never.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'll join the rant that Julia was grossly overmarked, in both PCS and some of the TES marks. She IS good, but not THAT good -- not yet, anyway.

Same with Plush -- his programs for me have no coherence or concept, just elements with a lot of posturing. I did like his LP better than his SP, and I do think he is overall amazing, just think that the scores were inflated.

Japan only having three spots for men and ladies -- gah! That is unfair to the world :scowl: for missing potentially wonderful performances from the likes of Kozuka and Oda and Miyahara.

@aftertherain -- tears of joy for Dai, I presume? Or were you wishing Oda or Kozuka were there instead?

sweetskates1

Medalist
LOL as a diehard Yankees fan born in Manhattan - I think you may be on to something. Except being a figure skating fan hurts more and it is lonely. No one understands when you go to work the morning after Daisuke loses or Mao 'falls' off the podium or Jeremy implodes despite the hexing or P/T come back despite being so 'old' or Chan wins again or a new star is born on the ice ect.

I blame our bouts of intolerance and hissy fits on this loneliness - we actually love and are so thankful for each other. Sometimes, we even agree hahahahaha.

I've been mostly watching--thanks to a friend of mind--the Canadian coverage and I am shocked at just how much of an apologist Kurt Browning is for Canadian skaters. On the other hand, I could listen to Carol Lane all day--while she appears contractually obligated to be pro-Canadian, she's fair more reasonable about it. I fully expect to be handed my butt for saying that...

...And for saying this. I've been a Yankees fan my whole life (I was born in the Bronx, after all), but I've never seen crowds as partisan as the ones I've seen here. Never.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
LOL as a diehard Yankees fan born in Manhattan - I think you may be on to something. Except being a figure skating fan hurts more and it is lonely. No one understands when you go to work the morning after Daisuke loses or Mao 'falls' off the podium or Jeremy implodes despite the hexing or P/T come back despite being so 'old' or Chan wins again or a new star is born on the ice ect.

I blame our bouts of intolerance and hissy fits on this loneliness - we actually love and are so thankful for each other. Sometimes, we even agree hahahahaha.

I will tell you this. I miss my friend I used to watch figure skating with, who is now in London and married and IMs/emails are just not the same as being on the couch, say, with me screaming "It's a slice a ham!" when Plushenko would appear on the screen, and with her adding, "With a WHOLE LOTTA CHEESE!" And then admitting, ok, he really is a great jumper. But at least we admitted it. ;)

sweetskates1

Medalist
lol! Gosh I hated Plushenko - first because I loved Yagudin so much and then because I loved Lambiel so much and then because of the Evan situation. Plushenko is a great competitor but for me the greatest Russian skater is still Yagudin (even though he put all his hardest jumps at the beginning and had only okay spins.) lol but I hear ya - I force my relatives to watch all the time and they try to humor me but they do not get it. They love Davis/White though!

I will tell you this. I miss my friend I used to watch figure skating with, who is now in London and married and IMs/emails are just not the same as being on the couch, say, with me screaming "It's a slice a ham!" when Plushenko would appear on the screen, and with her adding, "With a WHOLE LOTTA CHEESE!" And then admitting, ok, he really is a great jumper. But at least we admitted it. ;)

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Except being a figure skating fan hurts more and it is lonely. No one understands when you go to work the morning after Daisuke loses or Mao 'falls' off the podium or Jeremy implodes despite the hexing or P/T come back despite being so 'old' or Chan wins again or a new star is born on the ice ect.

Exactly! My friends don't watch figure skating, that's why I got here. Sometimes I need to talk about figure skating performances. I kinda tried to get my friends into this. Some of them watched the ice dance programs and I was really happy about it. They even said they don't understand why D/W got very high scores, but I think they just wanted to be nice (they know I like V/M). And after the GPF, I showed a few friends Hanyu's program and they were like "Wow, he's incredible". Whenever I see a beautiful figure skating program, I just want to share it with others. A few years ago, I wished everyone knew Lambiel. It was something magical when he skated and I had the feeling everyone should see this.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Here is my rant: In the team event Davis and White were way over scored on their free dance. It was not that good. They too made some minor errors - especially MD. There is no way they should have been given a 7 point gap over Virtue and Moir. Davis and White don't show any or very little connection between them and their music in their free dance. They hardly look at each other in their dance holds.

If scores were based on the old judging system it would have been:

6.0 for Virtue and Moir for thier artistic mark
5.7 or 5.6 for Davis and White for their artistic mark

Maybe the judging fix rumour was only a rumour, but something was not right in that event. Let's hope that the "fix' judging rumour remains just a rumour.

Okay folks, that is my rant....had to say it.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I agree with that, too. She skated her heart out, sure, and she's a great talent, no doubt, and no one's bullying her. But it's still fair to say that her GOE pretty much doubled during a month for similarly performed program, and for those who follow FS more regularly, that doesn't happen. Or shouldn't. Or so I think. But it remains my opinion.

No, her GOE did not double that fact that she did not had an edge call for her Lutz in the Short program is the defining moment and the fact that she performed her other jumps and spins with varying quality made the difference:

BV Skate Canada SP 32.53
GOE (without edge call, jumps not as good as she can do them and with traveling on last spin) 5.42

BV Europeans SP: 32.53
GOE (with edge call, jump combo and jumps with better flow in and out, and rock-solid centering on all spins) 5.53

BV Team SP 31.93 (Step Sequence called as level 3 vs. level 4 at SC and EC, loses 0.60 in base value)
GOE (without edge call, strong, sure jumps, and traveling in final spin position after the # of revolutions required were executed while maintained her spin position and blinding speed) 7.46

With the technical panel ruling that the Lutz was not on a clear inside edge, the judges are not required two remove the -1 to -2 from the original GOE the judges were going to award and she receives 1.40 GOE. At SC without edge call was 1.20, at Europeans with edge call was -0.20.

If you open up the 3 protocols side by side and look at any one element you'll see that when you compare and contrast the GOE were given differently for the element when it was executed differently. For example, the FCSp4: At SC traveled for a single moment in one of the positions, was a tiny bit slower than usual (for her)and she seemed slightly unstable. GOE 0.79. At Europeans, better than at SC, centered and more stable in the positions. GOE 0.93. At Team Event SP that spin was faster, 100% centered and the all positions as well as her speed were much better. I'm actually surprised it didn't get several 3s, instead she got all 2s and a 1. GOE 1.00. The same holds true for her other elements.

When you compare elements to other skaters: Julia's triple flip, decent height, full rotation, good flow into and out of the jump, and weaved into the choreography had 0.70 GOE. In contrast, Carolina's triple flip with fabulous height, full rotation, great flow into and out of the jump had 1.40 GOE. That already double the amount, as it should be. Then you have to compare the base value because Julia's triple flip was worth 5.83 points (highlight distribution) and Carolina's triple loop worth 5.10 points. The GOE points are differentiated by the BV of the element. Therefore the GOE for a similarly performed flip would be about 1.55, right? I'm not completely sure about that number. The same thing applies to the jump combination. Carolina's GOE was 1.60 for an element with a BV nearly two points lower. If she performed a triple lutz-triple x combination in similar fashion her GOE would have been 1.80.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Can I rant that there's apparently a giant pile of articles on whether it's insensitive to use Schindler's List?