The feelings/rant/etc. thread. | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The feelings/rant/etc. thread.

composer

On the Ice
Was never an Ashley fan ever, but want her to kick butt now. (The fuss about that face? Really? )
Have been watching Julia since she was 12, was unsure but now I want her to podium or maybe even win the whole darn thing ( but please GS don't crash if she does, I really want to watch the ensuing entertainment)
I don't understand the whole Gracie is pretty argument - she is pretty yes, but not any more so than the vast majority of ladies skaters out there. In fact I find most skaters to be fairly attractive - low standards on my part maybe?

Love the American pairs - sometimes I enjoy the skaters that have no chance of medal ling and are just thrilled to be at the Olympics more than the medal contenders
Love the team event! But the format needs to be changed so that the free is given at least as much weight as the long.
Love all the ladies skaters makeup so far - I heard somewhere they all do their own makeup, in which case, mad props!
Love it when jumps are choreographed and performed right at a crescendo in the music. Random, I know.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think my number 3 was poorly expressed...Clearly there are many artistic skaters who are capable of wonderful performances: Caro, Mao, Akiko, Yuna, even Yulia at times, just to name the most prominent artistic skaters of the last few years in my opinion. And I am expecting Radionova and Miyahara to unleash their artistry in their future as well as Gracie to polish her ability to tell a story. Perhaps It was badly phrased as my point is that artistry does not seem to have the same weight when it comes to judging and overall reputation. So yes there is a lot of artistry, but does it still count?

I was actually teasing a bit but I understand what you mean. I'm actually a fan for the most part of COP, but the one thing that undeniably HAS been lost is the appreciation for a simple, breathtaking move in the mad rush for points points pointspointspoints. And that is a shame.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I apologize in advance for the possible repeat in rants from the other lovely GS users
1. What is with the Russian Inflation? *tears* it's utterly ridiculous
2. Julia is fantastic but her face is so expressionless all the time. I wish she'd just smile :/
3. I really hope they tweak the team event; seeing the ice dancers in the reverse podium order to their placement made my blood boil
4. I want to slap everyone that tells me particular skaters are ugly =_= seriously?
5. I am so conflicted in who I want to see on the podium in ladies and men- my dream is for a Japanese podium sweep in men's but we all know that's not going to happen
6. I hope Jeremy does better in the individuals- I was so depressed by his team performance
7. In Australia, one of our main newspapers keeps posting out of date articles and it's driving me insane
8. Meryl and Charlie were over scored in the free dance, and it saddens me
9. I wanted to send Scott's FD costume through a wood chipper
10. I can't stand people who are new to figure skating and think they know everything about it (The Olympic Craze)
11. I love Ashley Wagner but sometimes I feel she skates like a brick
12. I appreciate the popularity the sport is getting due to the games but i actually prefer the exclusive bubble
13. I love Tessa...but Kaitlyn and Andrew are my preferred Canadian Team and the ones I will root for
14. Maxim Trankov's hair during the flower ceremony- it was weird seeing it like that
15. I agree with whoever said Elena Ilinykh was full of herself or something like that- I forget

Unrelated but: I am upset I didn't get to meet Mrs. P at nationals. There, I said it.

Phew end of rant ><

I don't what, if anything there is for me to say about the rest, but regarding Julia, exactly when should she crack a smile during her FS to Schindler's List? She was beaming when she was done, and in the kiss and cry, and at the medal ceremony. Regarding the SP I agree the music is not as serious as Schindler's List but still not really a piece you smile to (I mean the music is about not giving up on love) but when she finishes her performance on a hopeful not she smiles up at the universe. Then she's smiling when she's done, smiling in the kiss and cry and she beams when she gets her score.

louisa05

Final Flight
I apologize in advance for the possible repeat in rants from the other lovely GS users
1. What is with the Russian Inflation? *tears* it's utterly ridiculous
2. Julia is fantastic but her face is so expressionless all the time. I wish she'd just smile :/
3. I really hope they tweak the team event; seeing the ice dancers in the reverse podium order to their placement made my blood boil
4. I want to slap everyone that tells me particular skaters are ugly =_= seriously?
5. I am so conflicted in who I want to see on the podium in ladies and men- my dream is for a Japanese podium sweep in men's but we all know that's not going to happen
6. I hope Jeremy does better in the individuals- I was so depressed by his team performance
7. In Australia, one of our main newspapers keeps posting out of date articles and it's driving me insane
8. Meryl and Charlie were over scored in the free dance, and it saddens me
9. I wanted to send Scott's FD costume through a wood chipper
10. I can't stand people who are new to figure skating and think they know everything about it (The Olympic Craze)
11. I love Ashley Wagner but sometimes I feel she skates like a brick
12. I appreciate the popularity the sport is getting due to the games but i actually prefer the exclusive bubble
13. I love Tessa...but Kaitlyn and Andrew are my preferred Canadian Team and the ones I will root for
14. Maxim Trankov's hair during the flower ceremony- it was weird seeing it like that
15. I agree with whoever said Elena Ilinykh was full of herself or something like that- I forget

Unrelated but: I am upset I didn't get to meet Mrs. P at nationals. There, I said it.

Phew end of rant ><

This. I have an obnoxious self-important pair of relatives who are apparently watching the Olympics for the sole purpose of posting rude crap about the athletes all over social media. Ugly is the nicest thing they've said about some skaters. It is absolutely awful and I don't know what they possibly think is cute or fun about it. I suggested that since they aren't enjoying it, they should change the channel. Then I was lectured about how if I were as "intellectual" as them, I would understand that the sports require no skill and would join them. This from a pair of out of shape morons who can't walk half a block without being out of breath. Seriously. They demanded that someone drive them half a block at a recent family event.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't what, if anything there is for me to say about the rest, but regarding Julia, exactly when should she crack a smile during her FS to Schindler's List? She was beaming when she was done, and in the kiss and cry, and at the medal ceremony. Regarding the SP I agree the music is not as serious as Schindler's List but still not really a piece you smile to (I mean the music is about not giving up on love) but when she finishes her performance on a hopeful not she smiles up at the universe. Then she's smiling when she's done, smiling in the kiss and cry and she beams when she gets her score.

My favourite was the hat! It was so charming. I love her little smirk too, when she won and it was like "Yup, it's all business". In fact, I love all the Russian hats when the skaters coming off the ice put them on. :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
biggest rant from me - the arena crowd cheering when their favorites' main rivals fall. :no: Way to keep it classy. :disapp:

millie

Medalist
biggest rant from me - the arena crowd cheering when their favorites' main rivals fall. :no: Way to keep it classy. :disapp:

That's human nature......I remember when Kwan and Cohen were rivals, I would jump for joy when Kwan would fall ...my bad.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
pangtongfan and sky_fly20 still being allowed to post and even start new threads to satisfy their sad need for hate spewing, trolling and general nastyness. :bang:

SimplyLex

On the Ice
1. I don't care if Elena I. is a full of herself diva, I love Nikita Katsalapov. He's the new Charlie. Thus, I cheer for this team.
2. I think Julia has a mean face. There I said it. Her complete lack of facial expression doesn't help her either. But sure, give her the highest IN possible.
3. I'm annoyed by teenage jumping beans who take medals away from elegant mature women.
4. The fact that Bobrova/Soloviev can call themselves Olympic champions whereas Davis/White still can't, annoys the hell out of me.
5. Ditto to the fact D/R and M-T/M have Olympic silvers and S/S don't.
6. The fact V/T have two OGMs and S/S have none is heartbreaking and doesn't give justice to the latter's greatness.
7. I think Hanyu and Davis/White should be awarded some small gold medals or sth as they're the only ones in TE who won their portions and didn't get a gold for that.
8. V/T's PCS is riddiculous.
9. V/T's easy throws are driving me crazy.
10. The Russian audience is annoying.
11. Tessa and Scott's new FD costumes are hideous.
12. Meryl's new SD dress and old FD dress need to go. Stop messing with perfection and bring the Nationals dresses back!
13. Love watching Vannessa James on the ice. We need more black skaters!

More to come as the show goes on...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not exactly a rant, but for those in the U.S. who have seen NBC's Olympic coverage and promos:

On NBC, why is Shani Davis referred to 99% of the time as "Chicago's Shani Davis??"

He seems to be the only athlete to whom NBC feels the need to attach a locator, and I find it demeaning to him. :confused2:

It is not a matter of NBC style. (I am thankful that NBC has been giving D/W a lot of attention, but not once have I heard a reference to "Detroit's Meryl Davis and Charlie White.")

Surely there is not another Shani Davis from another city who is competing in Sochi, requiring NBC to make a distinction? Something is fishy here. :think:​

Amei

Record Breaker
1. For an Olympic games/year the styling this season has left me with a lot to be desired - especially Ponytails on figure skaters that have it styled like a cheerleader, it reminds me of 'Whip my hair in the air' by Willow Smith; and if not properly styled it detracts from the program.

2. I love Lipnitskaia's skating - I can't describe it beyond something about her draws me in and I could watch it all day :slink:

3. I hate the NBC commentary during the performances - let the skaters skate, then during the replays make your commentary

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
1. I hate the motto, "Hot...Cool...Yours". Does it sound better in Russian or something?

2. I hate that Scott & Sandra got NBC Primetime when I much prefer Johnny Weir's commentary.

3. I hate that Terry Gannon is inserted in the fs coverage. Dude was a basketball player!

4. I hate the Gracie Gold hype & that she seems to be in every second commercial, and that where I live keeps claiming her just because she lived in this state as a kid. She's not from here!!!

5. I hate the country bashing going on here. I don't know why Canadians seem to be getting the worst of it & why so many seem against the Canadian skaters.I guess it was good I found out early so I know not to come here if Chan and/or V/M win.

6. I hate the bashing of each other, period. It's nasty and unecessary. Can't everyone play nicely in the sandbox?

7. I hate Maxim's hair.

8. Julia makes me smile.

9. I can't wait to see YuNa.

10. I am ridiculously proud of MTM (extra personal reason).

11. I am fiercely loyal to all Canadian Olympians, no matter which sport.

12. I still love Jeremy Abbott's skating.

13. Anytime I see anyone skate to the Tchaikovsky piece S/S used for LP I can picture the time G/G skated in a tv special to it for Christmas & it was absolute perfection. It makes me sad because no one is G/G & I miss their skating.

meem

On the Ice
I watched the pairs LP this morning on NBCSN and again tonight to see if I could hear some different comments from Bezic and Hamilton - nyet! Altho' Scot did point out the "rest break" for V/T. These rest breaks are really bugging me. Is there any type of penalty for stopping mid-program (even if one is pretending to do something dramatic)? Plushenko's rest breaks were so OTT obvious.

Not enjoying Tara and Johnny--too many cutesy, full-of-themselves comments about their own competitive days (yeah, Johnny, but we remember how you goofed off with your shopping sprees and missing your bus to practice, etc., in Torino).

I like the Team Event but some changes are necessary for 2018, mainly moving Individual events further away from the Team Event (but still keep the team event at the start - gets lots of attention being the first event of the O's which is good and also helps skaters get the feel of the ice/get rid of jitters if possible). Also, SP and LP (SD & FD) need to be skated by different skaters.

And now I'm preparing for Men's SP in which I hope I don't throw a brick through our TV screen if Jeremy appears with that frightened look on his face (maybe I'll play some New Age tapes, do some deep breathing for 20 minutes before the start of NBCSN's broadcast).

BounceAround

On the Ice
1. I wish Mao had abandoned her triple axel early in her career (like circa 2008....) :slink:.

2. I wish Savchenko and Szolkowy had never thought of trying the triple axel.

3. I wish my favorite skaters realized they had more to offer artistically and technically than just one element...

4. I want the CD and OD back.

5. I want short programs where every skater does the exact same set of elements.

6. I want Tarasova as my commentator.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

Angryyew

Rinkside
Not exactly a rant, but for those in the U.S. who have seen NBC's Olympic coverage and promos:

On NBC, why is Shani Davis referred to 99% of the time as "Chicago's Shani Davis??"

He seems to be the only athlete to whom NBC feels the need to attach a locator, and I find it demeaning to him. :confused2:

It is not a matter of NBC style. (I am thankful that NBC has been giving D/W a lot of attention, but not once have I heard a reference to "Detroit's Meryl Davis and Charlie White.")

Surely there is not another Shani Davis from another city who is competing in Sochi, requiring NBC to make a distinction? Something is fishy here. :think:​

I haven't really noticed them doing that, but I seem to remember Bonnie Blair having "champaign's Bonnie Blair!" Attached to her, even though she no longer lived there. Maybe he has a large contingent of home town fans in Sochi? I suspect after tonight, the hype machine for him is going to power down anyway. Hasn't been a great Olympics for most of NBC's most hyped athletes so far.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hate that I didn't come up with this thread!

I love all the attention that the sport I've dedicated so many years to is getting.

I'm sad that its only once every four years my friends are interested

I wish Tara and Johnny had prime time spots because that's all I get to watch and they are so cute and fair!!

I'm surprised no one listed me as most annoying poster

I am sick of the same Chevy/Merci/Target commercials

I loved Valentina's and Mae's skates

I hate puberty talk as if it were a bad thing

I always agree with Isabel O'Riley(sp):slink:

I love :rofl: :points: :bow: and ::popcorn::

I'm sad my favorite isn't respected by most

I can't wait for Yuna!!

Wish Mao wasn't all about the 3a

Extremely sad that Caro isn't really a medal favorite anymore

Glad I ignored #%^ ^+*|

Happy to be apart of GS not just lurker anymore

Always enjoy Mathman,golden_411,Frenchie,CaroLiza_fan and Mrs P posts

Really really really hope a certain someone wins OGM and people say she earned it

Confused if her name is spelled with a J or Y??

Thanks to everyone here!!!