The feelings/rant/etc. thread. | Page 12 | Golden Skate

The feelings/rant/etc. thread.

Angryyew

Rinkside
I believe Yuna is done skating. From her interview she pretty much said that she did not want to be there. She kept repeating how tired she was and how happy she felt that she did not have to train or compete anymore.

That is the impression I got as well. With the back and foot injuries she has had, I have to wonder how much pain she has been skating through. If she has a change of heart, then fine, but I really hope she doesn't come back just because of pressure from her fans/fed. She's earned the right to go do something else for awhile.

qwertyskates

Medalist
I believe Yuna is done skating. From her interview she pretty much said that she did not want to be there. She kept repeating how tired she was and how happy she felt that she did not have to train or compete anymore.

It's sad, but I think this craziness and lashing out by her fans every time she didn't win gold tires her. It's a burden to HAVE to grab the crown every time, (hell hath no fury like the skating fans scorned everytime Kim didn't win gold :disapp:) and she has already had her coronation. She chose to skate to Imagine in the Gala, not Homage, seems she's telegraphing a message. The words sum up what she feels. She wants peace, not war, after this outcome. She isn't rallying the troops, so to speak. Ashley Wagner has spoken much louder than Kim, who signaled she didn't want to comment. I didn't understand why she didn't put in another triple, or pack the second half, i.e. took more measures to ensure she wins, knowing Sotnikova's and Lipnitskaia's layout to game COP, but perhaps it really didn't matter, she didn't want to chase it that hard. Without the uproar, controversies, etc. she might have enjoyed her skating career more. A lot of angst has been projected onto her, it feels almost like weaving a persecution complex, her rabid fans live vicariously through her but she didn't choose it. She's a class act, I still love her, not her fans and those raking up the muck, vowing to break the country, break Sotnikova, break the ISU, break anything, no rest for the wicked, flooding internet with malicious Youtubes, misrepresenting poor performances of Sotnikova as her Sochi's, etc., just sickening...:bang:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
What I find embarrassing right now is that after Sochi, lots of fans want to have the same story with Yuna at Pyeongchang just for revenge. I feel that what happened in the ladies event is not something you want to happen again, with other winner. Comments like these are a little bit disrespectful to Yuna, who is a classy elegant champion who would never think like this.

:thumbsup: Amen to that! Anyone hoping for "revenge" is only interested in Yuna as some sort of nationalistic symbol. Believe me, I get national pride and understand why she's a heroine to so many. She deserves every bit of admiration she receives. More importantly, though, Yuna is a person and a human being. Now, it's time to thank her for sharing her incredible gifts with us and let her live her own life for herself instead of fulfilling the hopes of others.

jand0387

Rinkside
Gala Show made me even more sad that it's the last I'll see of Yuna on the ice in a competition... And they just had to take it away... The last glory as reigning Champion...They had to put their home girl there... really... did you see the gala? Adelina... oh Adelina... I won't say anything offensive, but I really hope people who witnessed the gala event tonight ought to feel something about this whole thing... Now Adelina's going to be extremely pressured to carry on her "legacy", which is not easy at all... Yuna has been doing that so well... up till Sochi...

Imagine

Medalist
Dear Yuna Kim fans,

Please forgive me for what I am about to ask. It might even be kind of...offensive, really. However, I don't mean to be accusatory at all. Honestly.

Yuna Kim is obviously one of the greatest athletes of all time...arguably the greatest figure skater ever by many accounts. I understand you are all super-dedicated to her and really passionate about her skating. It really isn't hard to see why. Her poise, grace, the way she carries herself—it’s all very deserving of the utmost respect. Okay...I won't pretend. I'm not even a huge fan of figure skating (you can probably tell I made an account just to post this). I’ve watched once or twice on TV, mostly when nothing is on. Yes, I’m one of those people, the one’s who are like “Oh she fell, she’s going to lose…and cry” or “Oh she didn’t fall on any jumps, she’ll probably win…and cry.” I’ve been closely following the sport for like…a couple of weeks now at most, basically for the Olympics (duh…or maybe LOL?). Of course, I have developed certain biases (well, somewhat) even in this short time, and no, they happen to not include Yuna Kim. I know, you probably want to just stop reading here. :slink: Like everyone else, I’ve just been completely sucked in (fascinated tbh) by this hullaballoo over Sochi. I’m probably in no position to make any comments, but bear with me anyway.

Like all of you, I was completely obsessed with this competition in the past few days, probably unhealthily so. As someone who never really cared for figure skating, I’ve gotta say it has everything…the suspense…excitement…drama. Yulia Lipnitskaya’s inhuman biology lured me in (what is this, like strike three if you’re counting offenses…?) and I was pretty much only rooting for her. What a great story, with all the hype surrounding her in that team event business. Then she bombed, and it was heartbreak…ect. With Asada, Kostner, Kim, Sotnikova, there were some great emotional moments too but you know what, it all came to a rapid and definite point of closure for me. The competition was simply over, medals were awarded and that was that. For me, and other “causal viewers” (if that’s the right term) I’m assuming, it was all one grandiose show that only comes about once every four years; pure entertainment, to put it rather bluntly. Then all these accusations over the scoring appear in the news and I was like wait…there’s more to the story?! Until I read the news, it oddly never occurred to me that there exists this so called “russflation” (I dunno, maybe I’m just gullible). So I did my research (tadaa! That’s how I ended up here) and started reading about the scandal or whatever. It’s all very fascinating. I never realized that there were so many nuances and so much subjectivity in this sport. You have to understand that this doesn’t really come across that readily on TV. To me a jump is a jump…I really don’t pay attention to axels, or lutzes, or w/e fancy-shmancy terms the commentators throw out there. They’re all “wow” to me even though I don’t know how many points each one is worth.

After some research, and reading everything in the news as well as on these boards (*lurk*), I have been able to draw my own newb-ish conclusions regarding this “scandal”…which do not differ so much from the general consensus. Was Yuna Kim robbed? There’s definitely a valid argument for the case. There are some definite discrepancies involving the judging. Regarding Adelina Sotnikova, who I admit is one of my personal biases (strike four…), right behind Yulia (strike five…this is going quite badly). I mean sure—I can see how she might come off as rude, egotistically, haughty, ect. Whether I personally agree or not, it is very likely that she did not “deserve” her gold medal, harsh as that may be. But this is all just perception, no matter how strong the argument; there’s just so much subjectivity. However, even I can recognize certain facts in this whole situation. Note: I am not accusing anyone here of anything, nor am I making sweeping statements about Yuna Kim fans. I am simply stating what I am observing in general.

Adelina Sotnikova, whether she is or isn’t a cold, stuck-up, b****, does not deserve the crazy and senseless attacks occurring on her Instagram page. It’s so easy to hate her because the injustice seems so great. She is no Kim Yuna of course, but she is still an athlete nonetheless—not some hell-spawn hired by the Russian Federation to steal the gold medal away from Kim. I’m not saying the gold medal wasn’t stolen; I’m saying that’s not what Adelina Sotnikova came here to do. Like Kim, she has gone through many obstacles to get to this point (such as being tossed aside like yesterday’s garbage regarding the team-event). It’s completely reasonable to argue that nothing Sotnikova has ever faced in her life amounts to…say 1% of the obstacles Yuna Kim has had to overcome (although I would not know anything about this personally). But the point is, it doesn’t matter how much each has had to endure…before skills, or artistic ability, or points, or medals, both are already amazing athletes. To be an Olympian is a privilege that she has earned; whether she deserves a medal is a totally separate matter. It’s rude to discredit her as an athlete, to post the hateful things being said about her on her Instagram page just because of unfortunate events that have occurred in judging…things completely outside of her control. What is she supposed to do? At most, she can be less condescending about it, if she actually is that way. Even if she is completely delusional about her performance, about the medal, about Yuna Kim’s superiority, she has every right to believe that she has done something amazing simply by being in the Olympics and rising to the occasion. The entire world questions the validity of her gold medal win. That’s more than enough criticism to last her a lifetime. I get it, Korean nationalism is strong (usually NOT in a bad way). Russian nationalism can definitely be off-putting as well (rude fans in the stadium comes to mind). But this is an issue to be taken up with the people running the show, NOT the athletes. Spamming her Instagram page (I use one personally but can you imagine what that means to a teenage girl these days) with intentionally hateful things is completely futile. It’s rude, and it’s uncalled for. It takes a special kind of person to tell a 17 year old girl “You whole life’s work is worth less than sh**” because I feel you were given something you did not necessarily deserve. Those people (not YOU people, but THOSE people) are pretty much doing this right now and it’s a problem. Unlike Yuna, Adelina may not know much English, or Korean, but f**king b***h are universal expletives and she most likely gets the message loud and clear.

Yuna Kim has been nothing but amazing this entire Olympics. She went in pretty much knowing she would be at a disadvantage due to doubtful judging practices but she fought till the end…giving two heartfelt performances. It’s heartbreaking to see her not get what she arguably deserves. In skating, she is legendary and it’s quite easy to see why she is called the Queen. However, she is also queenly in the way she has dealt with the injustice of it all—remaining gracious, respectful, sportsmanlike. She is a true class act. She has the whole world supporting her, acknowledging her as the real winner. But no matter what her true feelings towards her competitors are, no matter how badly she has been robbed, she shows no disrespect. I believe she would not find the actions of the “crazies” to be to her liking…slandering another younger athlete is not something she would want. It’s unfair for Adelina Sotnikova and unfair for Yuna Kim (Russian fans are not above saying horrible things in retaliation about Yuna, albeit not directly to her). In the spirit of Yuna Kim’s example, would it be possible for some for some of the members here who have Instagram accounts to send some slightly more positive messages to Adelina Sotnikova? Even a simple “It’s not your fault” or something is an improvement over “Hey you are a fat female dog.” No need to concede anything—no need to stand up in her defense, no need to congratulate her (dubious) win. Just show the girl that even if the whole world knows who the real winner was, not everyone wants her to go kill herself.

Thank you all!

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Dear Yuna Kim fans,

Thank you all!

Firstly, I'm happy that due to the OG, many people watched figure skating for the first time and I hope you'll continue watching it.
I agree on the fact that all the hate for Adelina is wrong. The judges should be blamed for what they did, not Adelina. She performed the program of her life. She was overscored, but it's not her fault.
The problem is that when you watch figure skating for a long time and watch a skater's performances for years you see things differently. You 'discover' a skater, support him, watch his all programs and automatically get involved emotionally. Yuna is a superb skater with lots of fans who supported her from the start of her career. And it's damn sad when your favorite skater retires and you want her to retire as a champion. She skated perfectly and she lost the title and it's much more bitter for the fans because it was her last competition (probably her last competition). I think that's it. I'm not a "Yuna fan", I just admire her and appreciate her for what she has given to figure skating (as much as I loved Slutskaya and Mao). The last thing to mention would be that in 2010 Yuna won the OGM with a world record at the FS, 150 points. That performance was breathtaking. Adelina received almost as much as Yuna in 2010 and you can't even compare the performances.

jand0387

Rinkside
Dear Yuna Kim fans,

Please forgive me for what I am about to ask. It might even be kind of...offensive, really. However, I don't mean to be accusatory at all. Honestly.

Yuna Kim is obviously one of the greatest athletes of all time...arguably the greatest figure skater ever by many accounts. I understand you are all super-dedicated to her and really passionate about her skating. It really isn't hard to see why. Her poise, grace, the way she carries herself—it’s all very deserving of the utmost respect. Okay...I won't pretend. I'm not even a huge fan of figure skating (you can probably tell I made an account just to post this). I’ve watched once or twice on TV, mostly when nothing is on. Yes, I’m one of those people, the one’s who are like “Oh she fell, she’s going to lose…and cry” or “Oh she didn’t fall on any jumps, she’ll probably win…and cry.” I’ve been closely following the sport for like…a couple of weeks now at most, basically for the Olympics (duh…or maybe LOL?). Of course, I have developed certain biases (well, somewhat) even in this short time, and no, they happen to not include Yuna Kim. I know, you probably want to just stop reading here. :slink: Like everyone else, I’ve just been completely sucked in (fascinated tbh) by this hullaballoo over Sochi. I’m probably in no position to make any comments, but bear with me anyway.

Like all of you, I was completely obsessed with this competition in the past few days, probably unhealthily so. As someone who never really cared for figure skating, I’ve gotta say it has everything…the suspense…excitement…drama. Yulia Lipnitskaya’s inhuman biology lured me in (what is this, like strike three if you’re counting offenses…?) and I was pretty much only rooting for her. What a great story, with all the hype surrounding her in that team event business. Then she bombed, and it was heartbreak…ect. With Asada, Kostner, Kim, Sotnikova, there were some great emotional moments too but you know what, it all came to a rapid and definite point of closure for me. The competition was simply over, medals were awarded and that was that. For me, and other “causal viewers” (if that’s the right term) I’m assuming, it was all one grandiose show that only comes about once every four years; pure entertainment, to put it rather bluntly. Then all these accusations over the scoring appear in the news and I was like wait…there’s more to the story?! Until I read the news, it oddly never occurred to me that there exists this so called “russflation” (I dunno, maybe I’m just gullible). So I did my research (tadaa! That’s how I ended up here) and started reading about the scandal or whatever. It’s all very fascinating. I never realized that there were so many nuances and so much subjectivity in this sport. You have to understand that this doesn’t really come across that readily on TV. To me a jump is a jump…I really don’t pay attention to axels, or lutzes, or w/e fancy-shmancy terms the commentators throw out there. They’re all “wow” to me even though I don’t know how many points each one is worth.

After some research, and reading everything in the news as well as on these boards (*lurk*), I have been able to draw my own newb-ish conclusions regarding this “scandal”…which do not differ so much from the general consensus. Was Yuna Kim robbed? There’s definitely a valid argument for the case. There are some definite discrepancies involving the judging. Regarding Adelina Sotnikova, who I admit is one of my personal biases (strike four…), right behind Yulia (strike five…this is going quite badly). I mean sure—I can see how she might come off as rude, egotistically, haughty, ect. Whether I personally agree or not, it is very likely that she did not “deserve” her gold medal, harsh as that may be. But this is all just perception, no matter how strong the argument; there’s just so much subjectivity. However, even I can recognize certain facts in this whole situation. Note: I am not accusing anyone here of anything, nor am I making sweeping statements about Yuna Kim fans. I am simply stating what I am observing in general.

Adelina Sotnikova, whether she is or isn’t a cold, stuck-up, b****, does not deserve the crazy and senseless attacks occurring on her Instagram page. It’s so easy to hate her because the injustice seems so great. She is no Kim Yuna of course, but she is still an athlete nonetheless—not some hell-spawn hired by the Russian Federation to steal the gold medal away from Kim. I’m not saying the gold medal wasn’t stolen; I’m saying that’s not what Adelina Sotnikova came here to do. Like Kim, she has gone through many obstacles to get to this point (such as being tossed aside like yesterday’s garbage regarding the team-event). It’s completely reasonable to argue that nothing Sotnikova has ever faced in her life amounts to…say 1% of the obstacles Yuna Kim has had to overcome (although I would not know anything about this personally). But the point is, it doesn’t matter how much each has had to endure…before skills, or artistic ability, or points, or medals, both are already amazing athletes. To be an Olympian is a privilege that she has earned; whether she deserves a medal is a totally separate matter. It’s rude to discredit her as an athlete, to post the hateful things being said about her on her Instagram page just because of unfortunate events that have occurred in judging…things completely outside of her control. What is she supposed to do? At most, she can be less condescending about it, if she actually is that way. Even if she is completely delusional about her performance, about the medal, about Yuna Kim’s superiority, she has every right to believe that she has done something amazing simply by being in the Olympics and rising to the occasion. The entire world questions the validity of her gold medal win. That’s more than enough criticism to last her a lifetime. I get it, Korean nationalism is strong (usually NOT in a bad way). Russian nationalism can definitely be off-putting as well (rude fans in the stadium comes to mind). But this is an issue to be taken up with the people running the show, NOT the athletes. Spamming her Instagram page (I use one personally but can you imagine what that means to a teenage girl these days) with intentionally hateful things is completely futile. It’s rude, and it’s uncalled for. It takes a special kind of person to tell a 17 year old girl “You whole life’s work is worth less than sh**” because I feel you were given something you did not necessarily deserve. Those people (not YOU people, but THOSE people) are pretty much doing this right now and it’s a problem. Unlike Yuna, Adelina may not know much English, or Korean, but f**king b***h are universal expletives and she most likely gets the message loud and clear.

Yuna Kim has been nothing but amazing this entire Olympics. She went in pretty much knowing she would be at a disadvantage due to doubtful judging practices but she fought till the end…giving two heartfelt performances. It’s heartbreaking to see her not get what she arguably deserves. In skating, she is legendary and it’s quite easy to see why she is called the Queen. However, she is also queenly in the way she has dealt with the injustice of it all—remaining gracious, respectful, sportsmanlike. She is a true class act. She has the whole world supporting her, acknowledging her as the real winner. But no matter what her true feelings towards her competitors are, no matter how badly she has been robbed, she shows no disrespect. I believe she would not find the actions of the “crazies” to be to her liking…slandering another younger athlete is not something she would want. It’s unfair for Adelina Sotnikova and unfair for Yuna Kim (Russian fans are not above saying horrible things in retaliation about Yuna, albeit not directly to her). In the spirit of Yuna Kim’s example, would it be possible for some for some of the members here who have Instagram accounts to send some slightly more positive messages to Adelina Sotnikova? Even a simple “It’s not your fault” or something is an improvement over “Hey you are a fat female dog.” No need to concede anything—no need to stand up in her defense, no need to congratulate her (dubious) win. Just show the girl that even if the whole world knows who the real winner was, not everyone wants her to go kill herself.

Thank you all!

Well said... True, they shouldn't disgrace Yuna's name by doing those things. - and also should respect other athletes. you know, it's probably because the fans know the moment's passed and ship has sailed and the people who are running the show won't admit to anything. So what do you have left to do - look up and target something to lay their anger on. I understand their level of frustration and anger, but you are right... And thanks for trying to be not offensive to anyone lol ;)

sk8in

Match Penalty
Adelina should be commended for rising to the occasion of the Olympics, however she has taken her win as gracelessly as I can imagine. Some of the things she's been quoted as saying are just cringe worthy. "I want all the gold more gold". Etc. it is yuck. It will be interesting to see how her components and GOEs fair outside of Russia, starting in japan next month

nycskate2014

Rinkside
"However, she is also queenly in the way she has dealt with the injustice of it all—remaining gracious, respectful, sportsmanlike"
This is important...I love Yuna...by way, I am Russian...live in America now 2 years...so I wish all the skaters well

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Meryl and Charlie's exhibition. Wow!! That was the most gorgeous piece of ice dancing I have ever seen. goosebumps

also am I the only one who thought Kostner was better than Kim?

a_reader

Rinkside
I don't know how everyone else feels, but I liked the team competition and hope it stays. However, I'll admit one of the main reasons why is because it allowed some of my favorites who were considered long shots for individual medals, such as Gracie, Ashley and Jason, the chance to get on the podium. I wasn't able to watch any of this competition, but based on the scores I'd say the majority of the US team performed at about the level I expected.
One suggestion I have, though, would be to maybe reduce the number of qualifying teams form 10 to five or six, and allow all teams to compete in both stages. This might make the team competition shorter, and IMO would make it more competitive since there would, at least theoretically, be fewer teams of higher quality. Having fewer teams that are closer together in skill levels could make the competition more exciting/interesting. Another idea would be to give qualifying teams the option to send athletes just for the team event and just for the individual events.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Firstly, I'm happy that due to the OG, many people watched figure skating for the first time and I hope you'll continue watching it.
I agree on the fact that all the hate for Adelina is wrong. The judges should be blamed for what they did, not Adelina. She performed the program of her life. She was overscored, but it's not her fault.
The problem is that when you watch figure skating for a long time and watch a skater's performances for years you see things differently. You 'discover' a skater, support him, watch his all programs and automatically get involved emotionally. Yuna is a superb skater with lots of fans who supported her from the start of her career. And it's damn sad when your favorite skater retires and you want her to retire as a champion. She skated perfectly and she lost the title and it's much more bitter for the fans because it was her last competition (probably her last competition). I think that's it. I'm not a "Yuna fan", I just admire her and appreciate her for what she has given to figure skating (as much as I loved Slutskaya and Mao). The last thing to mention would be that in 2010 Yuna won the OGM with a world record at the FS, 150 points. That performance was breathtaking. Adelina received almost as much as Yuna in 2010 and you can't even compare the performances.

Very well said and I totally agree! I am not a 'bot' either and Adelina is one of my favorites too! I am so happy she did so well. I am, however, crushed that Yuna's career had to end on this note. I feel the result was unfair to both Yuna and Adelina, actually. I think Yuna should have won and Adelina should not have to put up with all the questioning of her victory. I am sad for both.

DannyCurry

On the Ice
Did I say the Russians weren't overscored? No, of course not. Of course they were. The exact same thing happens with Chan at Skate Canada, the exact same thing happens with the Americans at Skate America, the exact same thing happens with the Japanese at NHK, the exact same thing happens in France with the French skaters, and yes, the same thing happened with the Australians at Skate DownUnder! (I love all our Aussies but some of the scores were a wee bit higher than they probably ought to have been.) This is my point. EVERYBODY DOES IT. However, the only country that is ever really vilified for it is Russia. I would even say the Canadians are the worst at it.

I think the margin of victory was overly large. The victory itself remains legitimate. Yuna may be an excellent jumper, but she is inferior in other areas of her skating, and as well as that, the entire performance felt like she was being forced to skate. Adelina looked like she was having the time of her life. I have always responded to skaters in that way, and I probably always will.

So, just because overscoring the local skaters is (supposedly) a systematic practice means that's acceptable? Also, bringing in the Australians at Skate DownUnder with the Russians at the Winter Olympic Games in Russia is pretty laughable to me (and don't get me wrong, I love Oz and NZ).

Again, I'm not a fan of Yu Na Kim. I acknowledge her strengths and her weaknesses, as I do with all the skaters (whether I love them or not). I agree with you when you say "Adelina looked like she was having the time of her life." However, this does not mean we should overlook the fact that she and many other skaters did not get the scores they deserved. Some were blatantly propped up while others were held down, thanks to a rigged scoring by both the technical panel on calling the elements, and the judges on the GOE and PCS.

All in all, accepting the overscoring of the local skaters, and crooked judging on every aspect of the IJS in both the SP and the LP sure makes that victory legitimate. Ludicrous and appalling.

DannyCurry

On the Ice
I don't know how everyone else feels, but I liked the team competition and hope it stays. However, I'll admit one of the main reasons why is because it allowed some of my favorites who were considered long shots for individual medals, such as Gracie, Ashley and Jason, the chance to get on the podium.

While I was skeptical when I first heard there would be a team event at the OG, I really liked it in the end. I wouldn't be upset if they leave it out, but I do hope they keep it, because I find it fun to watch.

At the moment though, I don't think FS deserves to be at the Olympics. Too much cheating.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So, just because overscoring the local skaters is (supposedly) a systematic practice means that's acceptable? Also, bringing in the Australians at Skate DownUnder with the Russians at the Winter Olympic Games in Russia is pretty laughable to me (and don't get me wrong, I love Oz and NZ).

Once again, you choose to focus on one part of my statement and misrepresent it. I never said home-country overscoring was okay. NEVER. Of course it's not. But it DOES HAPPEN. And it happens EVERYWHERE. Not just in Russia. It just only ever seems to be when it happens in Russia that people get really, really upset about it.

Do the maths. LOOK AT THE PROGRAMS. Adelina wins. Every, single, god-damn time. She did one more triple than Yuna and she put more difficult jumps in the second-half bonus. Her spins and spirals were superior. But just because it's Yuna, obviously, no-one can ever beat Yuna and it be legitimate. :sarcasm:

And throughout all of this, Yuna herself has accepted the result with grace and aplomb and elegance, which is far more than a lot of the people here can say. Her reaction is simply one of joy that she has another Olympic medal. A superb result for her. And yet her fans would gladly rip the medal away from Adelina to give it to her. I do not think Yuna would want that.

You know what the most disgusting event in figure skating of all time was? Sale and Pelletier being given that second gold medal just for basically throwing the world's biggest temper tantrum. Members of the North American press sending death threats to a judge until she broke and said what they wanted her to say. The entire, disgusting, revolting set-up and appalling treatment of the superior B/S, just because the North Americans couldn't handle losing to the Russians.

I daresay that what we are seeing in the reaction to this event is a touch of racism and a lot of angry Cold War feelings about the "Evil Communist Russians".

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
I daresay that what we are seeing in the reaction to this event is a touch of racism and a lot of angry Cold War feelings about the "Evil Communist Russians".

You can't make me love Putin though.:biggrin:

Btw, what is all about the Sale and Pelletier's thing and North American newspaper? Can you explain briefly?

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Do the maths. LOOK AT THE PROGRAMS. Adelina wins. Every, single, god-damn time. She did one more triple than Yuna and she put more difficult jumps in the second-half bonus. Her spins and spirals were superior. But just because it's Yuna, obviously, no-one can ever beat Yuna and it be legitimate.
can't agree. First Adelina is not a skater equal with Kim, Asada or Kostner. There is a department called quality in figure skating, and the standard used to be higher; Adelina's jump didn't change much compared to last year where she scored less than 60 in short. Even under the generous judging, her score would be 65 in short and 135 in free if judged correctly.

yuki

Final Flight
Once again, you choose to focus on one part of my statement and misrepresent it. I never said home-country overscoring was okay. NEVER. Of course it's not. But it DOES HAPPEN. And it happens EVERYWHERE. Not just in Russia. It just only ever seems to be when it happens in Russia that people get really, really upset about it.

This is the Olympics, the single most important competition in the sport. It's not Cup of Russia or the Russian Nationals and it shouldn't be scored as if it were. Do you honestly believe that the uproar would have been as big if this had happened at a smaller competition, like a GP?

DannyCurry

On the Ice
Do the maths. LOOK AT THE PROGRAMS. Adelina wins. Every, single, god-damn time. She did one more triple than Yuna and she put more difficult jumps in the second-half bonus. Her spins and spirals were superior. But just because it's Yuna, obviously, no-one can ever beat Yuna and it be legitimate. :sarcasm:

I watched those programs. Yu Na also had 4 jumping passes in the second half of her program. You again just don't take into account the cheating in the whole event. What about the 3 flutz-3toe of Sotnikova that did not get any edge call and under-rotation call? Also, how come she wins the long to Asada's program (on both TES and PCS)? Sotnikova was also significantly held up in the short program. Those are just a few among the many occurrences that prove this was a rigged podium. Sure you can pinpoint a few elements to prove that Sotnikova deserved to win, but when you analyze the whole event, with every skater's performance and the scores they got, her victory is far from legitimate.

Such a clever advice to tell me to do the maths when even the elements weren't called properly.

I agree about SLC.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
However, I'll admit one of the main reasons why is because it allowed some of my favorites who were considered long shots for individual medals, such as Gracie, Ashley and Jason, the chance to get on the podium.

While I am delighted that Jason is now an Olympic medallist, it makes me absolutely sick to think that Abbott has a bronze medal for that worthless, pathetic load of rubbish he produced in the SP of the team event. And that disgusting crass "it was just a warmup" comment after.

One suggestion I have, though, would be to maybe reduce the number of qualifying teams form 10 to five or six, and allow all teams to compete in both stages.

And now I dislike you. Thanks. Let's just boot out all the little countries and never give them a chance to do anything on the big stage. Let's just make another event for the powerhouses to win more medals and shut out the little countries. Screw that. You will kick Australia out of the Olympics over my cold dead body. We were the alternate for the team event and I'm fricking proud of that. We nearly made the goddamn team event. And now you're saying we don't deserve that moment, that Great Britain don't deserve that moment, because they're not "high-quality" enough for you. I suppose you're one of these snobs who think that Australia and all the little countries should be kicked out of the main event so that Japan can send five men. :rolleye:

You again just don't take into account the cheating in the whole event.

Because I simply do not believe that "cheating" on the scale which you lot are having meltdowns over ever occurred. At the end of the day, the right girl won. That is what I believe. That is not what you believe. Fine. But screaming and throwing temper tantrums and expressing your desire to tear that medal right out of Adelina's hands and give it to Yuna - that is graceless, that is classless, that is disgusting. Adelina is not some pathetic nobody. She is a four-time Russian National Champion.

Today I talked about the team event with a friend of mine, who knows little of figure skating but was once a very high-level gymnast. Before she asked me my opinion on the ladies, she gave hers. And it was simply this:

"The Russian girl deserved to win. The Korean girl was so lovely, and flowed so well, but the Russian girl was better."