The feelings/rant/etc. thread. | Page 13 | Golden Skate

The feelings/rant/etc. thread.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
While I am delighted that Jason is now an Olympic medallist, it makes me absolutely sick to think that Abbott has a bronze medal for that worthless, pathetic load of rubbish he produced in the SP of the team event. And that disgusting crass "it was just a warmup" comment after.

And now I dislike you. Thanks. Let's just boot out all the little countries and never give them a chance to do anything on the big stage. Let's just make another event for the powerhouses to win more medals and shut out the little countries. Screw that. You will kick Australia out of the Olympics over my cold dead body. We were the alternate for the team event and I'm fricking proud of that. We nearly made the goddamn team event. And now you're saying we don't deserve that moment, that Great Britain don't deserve that moment, because they're not "high-quality" enough for you. I suppose you're one of these snobs who think that Australia and all the little countries should be kicked out of the main event so that Japan can send five men. :rolleye:

Because I simply do not believe that "cheating" on the scale which you lot are having meltdowns over ever occurred. At the end of the day, the right girl won. That is what I believe. That is not what you believe. Fine. But screaming and throwing temper tantrums and expressing your desire to tear that medal right out of Adelina's hands and give it to Yuna - that is graceless, that is classless, that is disgusting. Adelina is not some pathetic nobody. She is a four-time Russian National Champion.

Today I talked about the team event with a friend of mine, who knows little of figure skating but was once a very high-level gymnast. Before she asked me my opinion on the ladies, she gave hers. And it was simply this:

"The Russian girl deserved to win. The Korean girl was so lovely, and flowed so well, but the Russian girl was better."

Karne I don't know why you were so mean to me in my thread. :( I was only expressing my disappointment in the judging as a matter of my opinion, and how it has made me lose a lot of interest in the sport.

minion

Rinkside
What I find embarrassing right now is that after Sochi, lots of fans want to have the same story with Yuna at Pyeongchang just for revenge. I feel that what happened in the ladies event is not something you want to happen again, with other winner. Comments like these are a little bit disrespectful to Yuna, who is a classy elegant champion who would never think like this.

No, I just hope Pyeongchang shows how the judging and cheering should like at an Olympics.
Really, the audience at pairs and some other events was…. why isn't there a smiley face that pukes

qwertyskates

Medalist
Once again, you choose to focus on one part of my statement and misrepresent it. I never said home-country overscoring was okay. NEVER. Of course it's not. But it DOES HAPPEN. And it happens EVERYWHERE. Not just in Russia. It just only ever seems to be when it happens in Russia that people get really, really upset about it.

You know what the most disgusting event in figure skating of all time was? Sale and Pelletier being given that second gold medal just for basically throwing the world's biggest temper tantrum. Members of the North American press sending death threats to a judge until she broke and said what they wanted her to say. The entire, disgusting, revolting set-up and appalling treatment of the superior B/S, just because the North Americans couldn't handle losing to the Russians.

Oh dear, is this what they are trying to do here, to force the award of a gold medal to Kim/Korea a la Sale-Pelletier? I saw S/P vs B/S, B/S had the more difficult program and skated it better.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I don't know how everyone else feels, but I liked the team competition and hope it stays. However, I'll admit one of the main reasons why is because it allowed some of my favorites who were considered long shots for individual medals, such as Gracie, Ashley and Jason, the chance to get on the podium. I wasn't able to watch any of this competition, but based on the scores I'd say the majority of the US team performed at about the level I expected.
One suggestion I have, though, would be to maybe reduce the number of qualifying teams form 10 to five or six, and allow all teams to compete in both stages. This might make the team competition shorter, and IMO would make it more competitive since there would, at least theoretically, be fewer teams of higher quality. Having fewer teams that are closer together in skill levels could make the competition more exciting/interesting. Another idea would be to give qualifying teams the option to send athletes just for the team event and just for the individual events.

I liked it as well, but I think they need to revamp the points system. The medals were decided before the ice dancers even started the FD (And I believe the gold was locked up before the SD) which made it kind of anti-climatic.

a_reader

Rinkside
And now I dislike you. Thanks. Let's just boot out all the little countries and never give them a chance to do anything on the big stage. Let's just make another event for the powerhouses to win more medals and shut out the little countries. Screw that. You will kick Australia out of the Olympics over my cold dead body. We were the alternate for the team event and I'm fricking proud of that. We nearly made the goddamn team event. And now you're saying we don't deserve that moment, that Great Britain don't deserve that moment, because they're not "high-quality" enough for you. I suppose you're one of these snobs who think that Australia and all the little countries should be kicked out of the main event so that Japan can send five men. :rolleye:

Um, what? Good Lord. What happened to make you so angry? It was just an opinion, nothing more and nothing less. You don't know me, so please don't act like you know how I feel about smaller countries competing in Olympic figure skating just based on one post. Nice way to welcome someone who's still new to the forum.

DannyCurry

On the Ice
Because I simply do not believe that "cheating" on the scale which you lot are having meltdowns over ever occurred. At the end of the day, the right girl won. That is what I believe. That is not what you believe. Fine. But screaming and throwing temper tantrums and expressing your desire to tear that medal right out of Adelina's hands and give it to Yuna - that is graceless, that is classless, that is disgusting. Adelina is not some pathetic nobody. She is a four-time Russian National Champion.

I don't feel I've expressed the "desire to tear that medal right out of Adelina's hands." Neither did I throw any temper tantrum so I take it that's a general "you" to those who made classless comments on Adelina.

What I feel is that the result is outrageous not because it's Adelina who won, not because Yu-Na kim did not get a second OGM, but more because the judging was not fair throughout the competition. I do like Sotnikova and thought she gave great performances at those olympics, but that does not prevent me from looking them in perspective with all the other performances from the other ladies. Doing so can only shed lights on the incoherent judging of the event. That's why I believe that it's not the right girl who won.

I'm fine as well with everyone being entitled to their opinion, but thus far, Sotnikova's victory hasn't been explained convincingly with irrefutable arguments.

Today I talked about the team event with a friend of mine, who knows little of figure skating but was once a very high-level gymnast. Before she asked me my opinion on the ladies, she gave hers. And it was simply this:

"The Russian girl deserved to win. The Korean girl was so lovely, and flowed so well, but the Russian girl was better."

Ok, now we have it folks, a new strong argument: Sotnikova's victory is indisputable because karne's friend, who's a very high-level gymnast (and whose actual knowledge in figure skating remains to be assessed) said "the Russian girl was better". :laugh:

sweetskates1

Medalist
Just because I feel that Adelina's performances were sub par in comparison to other, more worthy ones, does not mean that I am bashing her. Yuna, Mao, and Carolina are superior technically and artistically in my eyes. There is no need to bash Adelina but the injustice should be exposed. Also, Julia should not have been fifth.

Judging is the problem here - personally I hate wobbly, small and ugly jumps and the fact that falls are not penalized more. Difficulty should be rewarded but figure skating should not just be about number of rotations in the air; it should value quality much more.

slutskayafann

Rinkside
Just because I feel that Adelina's performances were sub par in comparison to other, more worthy ones, does not mean that I am bashing her. Yuna, Mao, and Carolina are superior technically and artistically in my eyes. There is no need to bash Adelina but the injustice should be exposed. Also, Julia should not have been fifth.

Judging is the problem here - personally I hate wobbly, small and ugly jumps and the fact that falls are not penalized more. Difficulty should be rewarded but figure skating should not just be about number of rotations in the air; it should value quality much more.

Both Yuna and Mao very much better skater than Sotnikova. But Mao fell in the short program. Yuna needed a harder free.
I wish Mao won.

CarneAsada

Medalist
No, Yuna would had to be a Russian to win.
Actually not, Yuna would've won if she did this: 3A, 3Lz-3T, 3F-3T, 3Lo, 2A-2T-2Lo, 3S, 3Lz. Should she need this free program to win over Adelina? No, not even close. She should only need 5 to 6 clean triples. But she still "could" have won with a skate like that. :biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Watching the closing ceremonies on television now...... Loved Jason and Polina's improvised dance routine. Just too cute. It's clear they were best buddies during the Olympics. (And will be afterwards).

Actually that dance routine sort of reminded me of this.....Clearly they love being dance partners! :)

Also fun to see all the figure skaters looking happy. Patrick and Jeremy looked liked they were enjoying themselves.

Also LOVED the Russian culture segment of the ceremony.

Angryyew

Rinkside
Watching the closing ceremonies on television now...... Loved Jason and Polina's improvised dance routine. Just too cute. It's clear they were best buddies during the Olympics. (And will be afterwards).

Actually that dance routine sort of reminded me of this.....Clearly they love being dance partners! :)

Also fun to see all the figure skaters looking happy. Patrick and Jeremy looked liked they were enjoying themselves.

Also LOVED the Russian culture segment of the ceremony.

The Jason/Polina dance was definitely cute. I'm sad the Olympics are over :(. Even though I'm always getting sick of them by a couple days before the end, it's still sad to see the torch go out.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Watching the closing ceremonies on television now...... Loved Jason and Polina's improvised dance routine. Just too cute. It's clear they were best buddies during the Olympics. (And will be afterwards). ...

LOL, but Gracie Gold also tweeted a photo on Sunday with Jason with #bff -- and Brown/Gold were hanging out together before she left Sochi to join Edmunds in Austria. All the young ladies love Jason. And what's not to love? ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
LOL, but Gracie Gold also tweeted a photo on Sunday with Jason with #bff -- and Brown/Gold were hanging out together before she left Sochi to join Edmunds in Austria. All the young ladies love Jason. And what's not to love? ;)

Well those two go back like a trillion years since they both trained in the Chicago area (made me think of this photo: https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/375765014084210691). So Gracie's like a long-time #bff and Polina's the new one....

Speaking of young ladies loving Jason, he's also charmed the U.S. Hockey girls (or rather did they charm him, LOL):

https://twitter.com/moniquelam7/status/437717571119611904
Even @jasonbskates wanted to cuddle with us. @JocelyneUSA17 @meganebozek #teamusa #sleeplessinsochi pic.twitter.com/C99ok2kmda

Which Jason replied:
https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/437726168486137856
@moniquelam7 @JocelyneUSA17 @meganebozek Who wouldn't want to!! Pretty sure this makes me the luckiest guy in the room :) U guys r the best!

chloepoco

Medalist
Well those two go back like a trillion years since they both trained in the Chicago area (made me think of this photo: https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/375765014084210691). So Gracie's like a long-time #bff and Polina's the new one....

Speaking of young ladies loving Jason, he's also charmed the U.S. Hockey girls (or rather did they charm him, LOL):

https://twitter.com/moniquelam7/status/437717571119611904
Even @jasonbskates wanted to cuddle with us. @JocelyneUSA17 @meganebozek #teamusa #sleeplessinsochi pic.twitter.com/C99ok2kmda

Which Jason replied:
https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/437726168486137856
@moniquelam7 @JocelyneUSA17 @meganebozek Who wouldn't want to!! Pretty sure this makes me the luckiest guy in the room :) U guys r the best!

Jason is just too adorable!!!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And this is why I've never understood the "all male skaters are gay" stereotype. I mean, how many girls has Jason snuggled with and cuddled in the last few days? :laugh: Reckon the people who say it are just jealous!

Possum Glider

Rinkside
I love the media attention O'Brien/Merriman received thanks so much Johnny Weir. Wow they skated to a circus theme amazingly they wore circus themed costumes- not everyone's cup of tea but it suited them. It's most media attention they have received in all their time on the international scene.

I loved their enthusiasm, their costumes and the joy they took to the ice.