Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The feelings/rant/etc. thread.

Custom Title
    LOL as a diehard Yankees fan born in Manhattan - I think you may be on to something. Except being a figure skating fan hurts more and it is lonely. No one understands when you go to work the morning after Daisuke loses or Mao 'falls' off the podium or Jeremy implodes despite the hexing or P/T come back despite being so 'old' or Chan wins again or a new star is born on the ice ect.

I blame our bouts of intolerance and hissy fits on this loneliness - we actually love and are so thankful for each other. Sometimes, we even agree hahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    I've been mostly watching--thanks to a friend of mind--the Canadian coverage and I am shocked at just how much of an apologist Kurt Browning is for Canadian skaters. On the other hand, I could listen to Carol Lane all day--while she appears contractually obligated to be pro-Canadian, she's fair more reasonable about it. I fully expect to be handed my butt for saying that...

...And for saying this. I've been a Yankees fan my whole life (I was born in the Bronx, after all), but I've never seen crowds as partisan as the ones I've seen here. Never.

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi13 View Post
    this. All of this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    LOL as a diehard Yankees fan born in Manhattan - I think you may be on to something. Except being a figure skating fan hurts more and it is lonely. No one understands when you go to work the morning after Daisuke loses or Mao 'falls' off the podium or Jeremy implodes despite the hexing or P/T come back despite being so 'old' or Chan wins again or a new star is born on the ice ect.

I blame our bouts of intolerance and hissy fits on this loneliness - we actually love and are so thankful for each other. Sometimes, we even agree hahahahaha.
    I will tell you this. I miss my friend I used to watch figure skating with, who is now in London and married and IMs/emails are just not the same as being on the couch, say, with me screaming "It's a slice a ham!" when Plushenko would appear on the screen, and with her adding, "With a WHOLE LOTTA CHEESE!" And then admitting, ok, he really is a great jumper. But at least we admitted it.

Custom Title
    lol! Gosh I hated Plushenko - first because I loved Yagudin so much and then because I loved Lambiel so much and then because of the Evan situation. Plushenko is a great competitor but for me the greatest Russian skater is still Yagudin (even though he put all his hardest jumps at the beginning and had only okay spins.) lol but I hear ya - I force my relatives to watch all the time and they try to humor me but they do not get it. They love Davis/White though!

Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    I will tell you this. I miss my friend I used to watch figure skating with, who is now in London and married and IMs/emails are just not the same as being on the couch, say, with me screaming "It's a slice a ham!" when Plushenko would appear on the screen, and with her adding, "With a WHOLE LOTTA CHEESE!" And then admitting, ok, he really is a great jumper. But at least we admitted it.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    Except being a figure skating fan hurts more and it is lonely. No one understands when you go to work the morning after Daisuke loses or Mao 'falls' off the podium or Jeremy implodes despite the hexing or P/T come back despite being so 'old' or Chan wins again or a new star is born on the ice ect.
    Exactly! My friends don't watch figure skating, that's why I got here. Sometimes I need to talk about figure skating performances. I kinda tried to get my friends into this. Some of them watched the ice dance programs and I was really happy about it. They even said they don't understand why D/W got very high scores, but I think they just wanted to be nice (they know I like V/M). And after the GPF, I showed a few friends Hanyu's program and they were like "Wow, he's incredible". Whenever I see a beautiful figure skating program, I just want to share it with others. A few years ago, I wished everyone knew Lambiel. It was something magical when he skated and I had the feeling everyone should see this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvia451 View Post
    Whenever I see a beautiful figure skating program, I just want to share it with others.

Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    @aftertherain -- tears of joy for Dai, I presume? Or were you wishing Oda or Kozuka were there instead?
    Joy, of course! Though, there was a little bit of sadness because this will be his last competition...

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Here is my rant: In the team event Davis and White were way over scored on their free dance. It was not that good. They too made some minor errors - especially MD. There is no way they should have been given a 7 point gap over Virtue and Moir. Davis and White don't show any or very little connection between them and their music in their free dance. They hardly look at each other in their dance holds.

If scores were based on the old judging system it would have been:

6.0 for Virtue and Moir for thier artistic mark
    5.7 or 5.6 for Davis and White for their artistic mark

Maybe the judging fix rumour was only a rumour, but something was not right in that event. Let's hope that the "fix' judging rumour remains just a rumour.

Okay folks, that is my rant....had to say it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by vegarin View Post
    I agree with that, too. She skated her heart out, sure, and she's a great talent, no doubt, and no one's bullying her. But it's still fair to say that her GOE pretty much doubled during a month for similarly performed program, and for those who follow FS more regularly, that doesn't happen. Or shouldn't. Or so I think. But it remains my opinion.
    No, her GOE did not double that fact that she did not had an edge call for her Lutz in the Short program is the defining moment and the fact that she performed her other jumps and spins with varying quality made the difference:

BV Skate Canada SP 32.53
    GOE (without edge call, jumps not as good as she can do them and with traveling on last spin) 5.42

BV Europeans SP: 32.53
    GOE (with edge call, jump combo and jumps with better flow in and out, and rock-solid centering on all spins) 5.53

BV Team SP 31.93 (Step Sequence called as level 3 vs. level 4 at SC and EC, loses 0.60 in base value)
    GOE (without edge call, strong, sure jumps, and traveling in final spin position after the # of revolutions required were executed while maintained her spin position and blinding speed) 7.46

With the technical panel ruling that the Lutz was not on a clear inside edge, the judges are not required two remove the -1 to -2 from the original GOE the judges were going to award and she receives 1.40 GOE. At SC without edge call was 1.20, at Europeans with edge call was -0.20.

If you open up the 3 protocols side by side and look at any one element you'll see that when you compare and contrast the GOE were given differently for the element when it was executed differently. For example, the FCSp4: At SC traveled for a single moment in one of the positions, was a tiny bit slower than usual (for her)and she seemed slightly unstable. GOE 0.79. At Europeans, better than at SC, centered and more stable in the positions. GOE 0.93. At Team Event SP that spin was faster, 100% centered and the all positions as well as her speed were much better. I'm actually surprised it didn't get several 3s, instead she got all 2s and a 1. GOE 1.00. The same holds true for her other elements.

When you compare elements to other skaters: Julia's triple flip, decent height, full rotation, good flow into and out of the jump, and weaved into the choreography had 0.70 GOE. In contrast, Carolina's triple flip with fabulous height, full rotation, great flow into and out of the jump had 1.40 GOE. That already double the amount, as it should be. Then you have to compare the base value because Julia's triple flip was worth 5.83 points (highlight distribution) and Carolina's triple loop worth 5.10 points. The GOE points are differentiated by the BV of the element. Therefore the GOE for a similarly performed flip would be about 1.55, right? I'm not completely sure about that number. The same thing applies to the jump combination. Carolina's GOE was 1.60 for an element with a BV nearly two points lower. If she performed a triple lutz-triple x combination in similar fashion her GOE would have been 1.80.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Can I rant that there's apparently a giant pile of articles on whether it's insensitive to use Schindler's List?

Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    Can I rant that there's apparently a giant pile of articles on whether it's insensitive to use Schindler's List?
    Here, here! Also, it's being slammed for not being sorrowful enough. 1. It was choreographed by Ilia Averbukh, a Russian Jew, who I'm sure is super sensitive to the issue of the Holocaust. 2. It's figure skating. The program is somewhat thematic but not supposed to be completely thematic. Did they want her to be shot dead on the ice at the end? Or hit a position like a broken body on a pile? Geesh. It's not a Holocaust play or Schindler's List re-enactment; it's a figure skating long program to the music from Schindler's List. Yu Na isn't acting out the theme behind Send in the Clowns for her SP either!

Custom Title
    I think Julia's interpretation is appropriate for the performance. She's evoking pathos but isn't getting too literal in her interpretation (i.e. V/T forming the cross at the end). Yu Na, similarly, is interpreting the music and not actually being a clown.

Custom Title
    It's been really bad that these people have me feeling for Ashley. I don't even like Ashley and I rooted for her in the short program. I clapped like I was in the audience for her. This Olympics has given me a weird feeling and I can't wait until it's over.

Figure Skating...it's been real.

Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    It's been really bad that these people have me feeling for Ashley. I don't even like Ashley and I rooted for her in the short program. I clapped like I was in the audience for her. This Olympics has given me a weird feeling and I can't wait until it's over.

Figure Skating...it's been real.

Same here. I totally feel you RE: Ashley. I'm not even an Ashley uber but I feel bad for all the vitriol she's been getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabel_O'Reilly View Post

No, her GOE did not double that fact that she did not had an edge call for her Lutz in the Short program is the defining moment and the fact that she performed her other jumps and spins with varying quality made the difference:
    I'm sorry --- I don't buy it. It remains my opinion, and it hardly counts since I'm not a judge, but even visual comparisons were pretty clear. Gracie's GOE for the exact same 3Lz_3T combo that Julia landed? That was the most obvious one. Julia received about x4 times GOE that Gracie has. Gracie was much bigger and had more ice coverage. Even if you take the transitions into account, that's just odd. If you tell me the ice coverage and speed and the size of the jumps counts 1/4th as a little more flow that Julia got her on the exit, I would rest my case. On top of the issues of GOE -- that maybe somewhat acceptable toward Olympic inflation, but only if everyone else's were adjusted the same way, but it didn't. Everyone else's PCS, including Mao and Ashley's, went down while Julia's increased by 6-8 from the points that were scored mere two months ago.

I don't want to argue this point to death, so I will close with this: Julia skated fantastically, and very likely she probably would have won against Gracie and Osmond either way, but I don't think the scores were anywhere close to fair to other skaters. But I supposed that's just life.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast