The feelings/rant/etc. thread. | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The feelings/rant/etc. thread.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Australia should have been in the team event. :p

The Poms, though, were robbed in the team event.

Plushy is the mighty king and I'm sick of hearing people's snide comments about how old he is. Yes, he's old and injured and guess what, he still skated better and beat Abbott.

The USFSA should have had the balls to ditch Abbott for being too unreliable, and they should have said why.

Lipnitskaya has no feeling for the music, no emotional connection, nothing. Gumby moves do NOT = artistry.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
1. V/T getting positive GOE for a hand down on a thrown jump and a foot down on the other.

2. S/S they didn't have the performance they wanted but I give them respect for not being cautious and throwing the hard stuff. They went balls to the wall and I am proud of them for that.

3. Tara Lipinski needs to get over herself. You won in Nagano by luck of a skate draw. Lipnitskaya may have your small jump technique but she has more artistry than you ever did at 15. If I hear the phrase "she's just 15" my head will explode. End Rant.

4. Johnny is a great commentator and I hope he replaces Scott.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Really really really hope a certain someone wins OGM and people say she earned it

Confused if her name is spelled with a J or Y??

Technically it's Юлия in Russian Cyrillic, which is pronounced "YOO-lee-yah". The issue with the J/Y comes from it being a variant of Julia. It can just be transcribed a variety of ways.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
MK's Winter; said:
If I hear the phrase "she's just 15" my head will explode. End Rant.

4. Johnny is a great commentator and I hope he replaces Scott.
:clap:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
1. I can’t express how happy I am for Yuzuru. The kid was perfect. Winnie the Pooh must be proud! The audience loved him. He created a fantastic atmosphere with this SP I’ll definitely miss next season. Tomorrow I think I’ll walk out of the room at the start of his program and just come back after the 4S. :bow:

2.Takahashi. He’s an artist. Even with that mistake, he was sublime.

3.Fernandez and Ten. Maybe they’ll do better at the LP.

4. Jason’s 3L with the arm above and Han’s 3A. Just love them.

5. Brian Joubert. A beautiful surprise for me.

6. All my respect for Jeremy.

7. I feel sorry for Evgeni. I personally believe that he really wanted to skate and he tried until the end. He had a fantastic career. I was fascinated by his old programs, I was his fan at Torino and “The godfather” will remain one of the best programs I’ve ever seen. I was disappointed at Vancouver. Maybe it’s my non-expert biased opinion, but he deserved to win. Years passed, other great skaters appeared and I kinda forgot how much I supported Evgeni. I didn’t want him to win here, I still think he was overscored at the teams’ event, but now I’m sad for him, it’s bitter that his career ended like this. However, great fighter, great skater and a truly champion. Thanks for all the amazing programs!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
1. I can’t express how happy I am for Yuzuru. The kid was perfect. Winnie the Pooh must be proud! The audience loved him. He created a fantastic atmosphere with this SP I’ll definitely miss next season. Tomorrow I think I’ll walk out of the room at the start of his program and just come back after the 4S. :bow:

2.Takahashi. He’s an artist. Even with that mistake, he was sublime.

7. I feel sorry for Evgeni. I personally believe that he really wanted to skate and he tried until the end. He had a fantastic career. I was fascinated by his old programs, I was his fan at Torino and “The godfather” will remain one of the best programs I’ve ever seen. I was disappointed at Vancouver. Maybe it’s my non-expert biased opinion, but he deserved to win. Years passed, other great skaters appeared and I kinda forgot how much I supported Evgeni. I didn’t want him to win here, I still think he was overscored at the teams’ event, but now I’m sad for him, it’s bitter that his career ended like this. However, great fighter, great skater and a truly champion. Thanks for all the amazing programs!

It is awful he wasn't up to skating in the indiv. comp, but you know, he sure seemed to me to enjoy laying it down in the team competition and I really think (and certainly hope!) he derives genuine satisfaction from that. I think and hope he is reasonably happy with how this Olympics turned out for him, rather than bitter.

Re: Yuzu, based on his team performance I can't wait to see his individual on TV. Also can't wait to see Joubert (when it shows up on youtube) and Takahashi for sure.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
some feelings about today...

HAPPINESS - Brian who had his moment tonight and put mostly everything in one good performance, Yuzuru who simply makes me happy by his skating and sublime, modest behaviour on and off ice, Patrick whose skating I'm not a big fan of but I'm glad he skated good to one of my favourite pieces of classical music, Jason - he's young, talented and simply adorable and I see and feel that skating makes him happy, so glad about today's short and tommorow's last to skate with Riverdance...that will be a blast
Also so glad about the small margins after men's short - lots of contenders for bronze makes this event more exciting for fans

BiTTERSWEETNESS - Daisuke...my heart is aching heavily. He is a true artist on ice and when he's on he is the best. But today that was one sublime performance with tons of emotional package which made my cry - not only about quad and the fact that he's out of gold but also because it was one of his last performance as a competitor and I can't imagine now competitions without him...
Denis Ten, Javier, Tatsuki - I feel sorry for them. They had definitely expected better from themselves and so their fans, but the standings are very tight so tommorow we'll see

SADNESS - about frequence on Iceberg Palace...Comparing to Vancouver where at every event the audience was full or almost full this situation is simply sad...And I don't even talk about cheering issues but overall olympic atmosphere - today if there weren't japanese fans it would have been a very silent and lifeless event I think...

desertskates

Medalist
I don't have much negative to say. I'm pleased with the television coverage, I enjoy the lively commentary here, and all the skaters seem to be trying their best. So here is my one gripe, and it's a big one:
To the beautiful young ladies of team USA-- PUT. DOWN. YOUR. RED. DRY. LIPSTICK.
Not only put it down, throw it out. Come together, go shopping, and turn up in a lovely rainbow of beautiful, age appropriate, skin tone matching shades.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm feeling under the weather ( STUPID VIRUS GO AWAY) so I'm home sick. But at least I got to see my favorite J. Brown NAIL IT! I'm so thrilled that he is going to be skating last....I hope he Riverdance his heart out.

Yuzuru was AMAZING, of course and Patrick was great, other than the error in the 3A. Peter Liebers and Jorik Hendrix were the other highlights of the segment.

Thrilled to see Martinez and Ge make it to the free skate.

cjoanwilli

Spectator
My rant is how Plushenko's withdrawal was no surprise - during all the over the top fawning by the American announcers for his long program in the Team competition (his short was good but his long was 2 good jumps then a tired Ice Capades performance) one of them said "if he skates in the singles." and there are old news stories about how he only wanted to do the team but was told if he went he had to do both. I think from the start he never meant to do both and the "oww my back" today was mostly for show. And the Russian men's champion watches from the sidelines, his chance taken from him. Not what I call good sportsmanship.

Audrey19

On the Ice
I am secretly glad Plushenko withdraw. He was never supposed to be there in the first place. And I think forcing it like he did and taking another skater's spot shows not only bad sportsmanship, but also bad character. At least the Russian skating federation got what they deserved for their corrupt decision - no Russian skater at all. Which is shameful when looking at past Russian skating achievements!

I'm also rather puzzled at the scoring in the Men's short. Hanyu was fantastic, but why is the gap between hanyu & Patrick and Javier & Daisuke so big? They weren't flawless but pretty damn good nonetheless. I certainly didn't see a ten point difference between Patrick and Daisuke :unsure:

I'm heart-broken for Aliona and Robin. They've been an inspiration these past years and I think their artistry is well beyong Tatiana and Maxim, so seeing them with no luck at the Olympics again was devastating.
That said, both Russian teams were wonderful and the champions' reaction was very touching, heartfelt and full of joy. It was an unforgettable night!

Oh and not having the actual medal ceremony right after the Free skate is rather anti-climatic! I doubt that we'll see any Stephane-like emotional outbursts on the podium when there is a day in between winning and receiving the medals. I want to see tears!!! (the happy kind, obviously) :)

desertskates

Medalist
I'd like to offer a happy thought: Jason Brown!!! Omg, could he have ever imagined this? Awesome.
I think I've got what Mrs. P has as I've been glued to the action all day, too.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'd like to offer a happy thought: Jason Brown!!! Omg, could he have ever imagined this? Awesome.
I think I've got what Mrs. P has as I've been glued to the action all day, too.

HAHAHA......

(I really am sick though. :( )

s_parks

Record Breaker
I know Plushenko is not the most likable skater there is, but he is just so incredible. Winning three consecutive individual Olympic medals is an incredible feat, and it's kind of crazy how long and well he has been doing quads, many of them in combo. He is certainly the most mentally strong competitor ever. Congratulations to him for a great career.

And on a change of topic: Denis! So sad that he could not get that quad but he such wonderful qualities in his skating, and his jumps are textbook when he nails them. And I live for his step sequence/footwork and spins. I always forget how young he is- only 1 yr older than hanyu! He's been to vancouver-at 16- and several worlds. Hope he nails the free and has more successful seasons afterwards.

waddup

Rinkside
results of short track so far has been heartbreaking.
it really does make me sad when you see the ones that are so good and deserving of olympic medals fall b/c of no fault of their own :(
please no more wipe outs. i don't think i can handle any more drama.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Not exactly a rant, but for those in the U.S. who have seen NBC's Olympic coverage and promos:

On NBC, why is Shani Davis referred to 99% of the time as "Chicago's Shani Davis??"

He seems to be the only athlete to whom NBC feels the need to attach a locator, and I find it demeaning to him. :confused2:

It is not a matter of NBC style. (I am thankful that NBC has been giving D/W a lot of attention, but not once have I heard a reference to "Detroit's Meryl Davis and Charlie White.")

Surely there is not another Shani Davis from another city who is competing in Sochi, requiring NBC to make a distinction? Something is fishy here. :think:​

Before the SP coverage tonight they referred to Jason as "Chicago's Jason Brown."

Maybe they just like Chicago? HAHAH

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I haven't really noticed them doing that, but I seem to remember Bonnie Blair having "champaign's Bonnie Blair!" Attached to her, even though she no longer lived there. Maybe he has a large contingent of home town fans in Sochi? I suspect after tonight, the hype machine for him is going to power down anyway. Hasn't been a great Olympics for most of NBC's most hyped athletes so far.

Before the SP coverage tonight they referred to Jason as "Chicago's Jason Brown."

Maybe they just like Chicago? HAHAH

Thx for your replies.

Mrs. P, now that you mention it (even in jest), I think you could be on to something.
If I'm not mistaken, WMAQ, NBC's owned and operated station in Chicago, is a powerhouse as local stations go. So maybe NBC as a network really is giving a nod to Chicago audiences. :think:

I wish it was my dog. I don't have one. I just wanted a puppy pic to help combat the negativity

It's working for me. :) Thx for making me smile.

ETA:
Copying your idea, I have changed my avatar to a young Max Aaron with his pooch. (Will be changing it again soon in support of Tessa and Scott. But after the dance medals, maybe Max's doggie will return.​

To the beautiful young ladies of team USA-- PUT. DOWN. YOUR. RED. DRY. LIPSTICK.
Not only put it down, throw it out. Come together, go shopping, and turn up in a lovely rainbow of beautiful, age appropriate, skin tone matching shades.

LOL, I have to agree.
I don't mind the screaming red for their on-ice make-up.
But I do think that more natural tones would be more flattering when they are off the ice. Clownish is not a good look for anyone.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Today's feelings:

JOY: Jason. :)

ADMIRATION AND RESPECT: Jeremy.

TOTAL AND UTTER DEVASTATION LEAVING ME BAWLING: Brendan and Plushy.

RED-HOT FURY AND ANGER AND WRATH: Any evil, despicable human being who thinks Plushy faked it or that he never intended to compete.