Takahashi admits knee not 100 percent | Golden Skate

Takahashi admits knee not 100 percent

caitie

Medalist
I guess my totally unrealistic dream of seeing him win the gold medal just got that much more unrealistic.

But aw, I like what he said about knowing his own level and setting his goals to match it. I hope he has two great skates. <3

Becki

Medalist
I guess my totally unrealistic dream of seeing him win the gold medal just got that much more unrealistic.

But aw, I like what he said about knowing his own level and setting his goals to match it. I hope he has two great skates. <3

And to think, in 2012 he was a Gold Medalist hopeful...ahhhhhhh the cruel reality of sports or just anything. Yeah my (unrealistic) dream of him winning is gone now......

I hope he has two performances he can be proud of!!!!

sweetskates1

Medalist
He is toast :disapp: but he is still one of the greatest skaters of all time. Ice is his canvas, his body his medium and nothing will change that plus he already has a bronze medal, a world championship, a GPF and multiple nationals. I would be excited to see him in fifth; I predict he will be about 8th or 9th depending on how badly Abbott bombs - which he will - royally! Abbott will get crushed by all of the men listed below and hopefully Daisuke. I expect to see him in 15th or worse after the SP and in about 11th or 13th after the FP since others will make more mistakes then.

Yuzuru, Tatsuki, Fernandez, Plushenko, Chan, Brown, Yan, Reynolds (ugghh), will all be above him - atrocious really atrocious but likely.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Takahashi bolstered by tight-knit family

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001017451

Now that he is retired, Kumeo watches videos of Takahashi’s best performances at competitions repeatedly every day. Fearing it might be his son’s last competition, Kumeo went to watch the All-Japan Figure Skating Championship in December for the first time. When his son received the loudest cheers despite the fact that he finished fifth, a tearful Kumeo said, “I am so pleased.”

His parents still live in the same rented house. Takahashi occasionally sends Kiyoto such gifts as clothes and handbags. “They’re too big, and besides, I have no use for such expensive things,” Kiyoto said, saying they are stored with care.

The good-luck card was sent to Takahashi late last month. His parents will not travel to Sochi, but they will watch their son’s performance from Kurashiki. “It would be wonderful if he came home saying, ‘I did my best,’” Kiyoto said. “Regardless of whether he wins a medal or not, I hope he gives it his all.”

I think I'll take a page out of his parents' book. I just want him to have two skates that he can be so proud of--if they just happen to be enough to get him on the podium, I'll be even happier for him.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Huge Dai fan and really hopes he can have performances he is satisfied with -- and he has always seemed to place more importance on doing what he finds meaningful than just in results. For example, his going for the quads in Vancouver, when he might have placed higher with easier content.

I assume this is the knee he had the cruciate ligament surgery on years ago? I've had ACL reconstruction (I had no ACL left, my body had absorbed it after it was torn) and meniscus trimmed out and my knee has never been the same. I've always been amazed at what Dai has done for years now after similar surgery.

Dai is just amazing and I hate that his chances for gold are all the more diminished.

Becki

Medalist
Huge Dai fan and really hopes he can have performances he is satisfied with -- and he has always seemed to place more importance on doing what he finds meaningful than just in results. For example, his going for the quads in Vancouver, when he might have placed higher with easier content.

I assume this is the knee he had the cruciate ligament surgery on years ago? I've had ACL reconstruction (I had no ACL left, my body had absorbed it after it was torn) and meniscus trimmed out and my knee has never been the same. I've always been amazed at what Dai has done for years now after similar surgery.

Dai is just amazing and I hate that his chances for gold are all the more diminished.

I want to cry.....I was really rooting on Daisuke to get Japan's first OGM in Figure Skating. I guess I'll invest all my hopes on Yuzuru now :'( But in reality, I knew it was more of a dream. I hope Daisuke can exit the sport on his own terms with two admirable performances!!!!

DaveT

On the Ice
This is very sad to hear. I still think if he had not tried the quad in Vancouver he would have been clean and won. Evan won without one and I think a clean Dai would (or should) have beaten Evan. Seems likely Japan will win gold though, just won't be Dai.

noskates

Record Breaker
This is no surprise to me. His nationals was not that many weeks ago and he could barely land on his right leg. Age just catches up with some of these skaters.

vegarin

On the Ice
Man, that is sad to hear. I still wish he could do his very best and win, and yes, I agree -- his 2010 miss was just so disheartening. Good luck to him, regardless!

I am very distressed. I just hope we get the chance to see him at his best, because he's so wonderful. He is one of the best ever in terms of what he can make skating convey. I'm glad we had these extra years from him after the injury that could have ended his career. I too regret that he didn't win in 2010, but that doesn't take away from the quality and electricity of his skating.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Daisukes 3Axel in training looked pretty good to me. Why is everybody talking like it is over for Daisuke already? Remember where he landed in Vancouver when he also came from a mediocre season and surgery! I'm not awaiting any wonders here, but I think it ain't over til it's over.

Well, Takahashi showed at NHK Trophy that he is still capable of greatness so yes, you shouldn't write him off. I'm just preparing myself mentally for disappointment as at this point, he's more likely to bomb than he is to skate well.

I'm just still feeling extremely bitter about JSF's selection criteria which did not create a level playing field and were basically an excuse for them to send their biggest stars. I love Takahashi but Oda did have better GP results and placed higher than him at Nationals (but the way the criteria were set, they placed him behind both Takahashi and Kozuka).

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am very sorry to hear this news. The big problem IMO is that Japan needed to be able to send 6 men to Sochi. They have such an incredibly deep men's field that 3 places just isn't enough. I really love Dai's skating and am still hoping for a gold medal or at least a podium finish.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am very sorry to hear this news. The big problem IMO is that Japan needed to be able to send 6 men to Sochi. They have such an incredibly deep men's field that 3 places just isn't enough. I really love Dai's skating and am still hoping for a gold medal or at least a podium finish.

I said 5 men and 5 ladies in the "rant" thread, but yes, MFarone, perhaps 6 would have been even better!:biggrin: