Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Lipnitskaya unbeatable?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Is Lipnitskaya unbeatable?

The way I see it, Julia has won the gold medal and there is no way anyone else can win.

Julia and Gracie did, IIRC, the same triples.
    Julia was 12 points ahead of Gracie.
    I am assuming that several of these points are coming from her signature spins, especially the one where she grabs her skate while it is straight up in the air.
    Nobody else can physically do this. Most people's arms are shorter than their legs. In fact, by most, I mean 99% of the population. Even Yuna's arms are shorter than her legs.

Therefore, literally nobody can beat this girl. I would be shocked if anyone else can win, unless she melts down, and she doesn't appear prone to do that.

They may as well just give her the medal now.

Tripping on the Podium
    As talented a jumper Julia is....and yes, her spins are unbelievable-I don't find it at all attractive and it's almost freakishly too much flexibility..sort of like Gumby, you can bend him/her anyway...I'm sure her marks reflect this "talent" but sorry, I find no beauty in her skating at all...I literally had to turn away because it looks like her leg was going to pop out of the socket...sorry folks, just my observation. Good luck to all the skaters!

Custom Title
    Julia's PCS will rise at least 1 or 2 points next week in the LP. She will crack 70 in PCS for sure. Who is counting against this?
    Her TES might be padded upward.

I can see her getting closer to 145 in the LP.

In the SP, I see her getting 74.

Kim's SP will not beat Julia's SP because her spins will not get the same level and same GOE. Steps will be a wash. Jumps? Julia's perfect lutz + perfect 3T will get +2 and +3 GOE. Kim has no advantage over her in GOE either.
    I could see Kim's losing in the SP even because her spins are weaker.

If Kim makes 1 mistake, she will not beat a clean robot.

Kostner is already done. Her perfect SP with superior everything lost to traveling spins, tiny jumps, flutz, weak skills, heart drawing juniorish program.

Asada will not be able to rotate her jumps in time. I think Asada might even fall behind Kostner at this point.

Custom Title
    Yuna is the gold standard. She would need a major meltdown for any one to beat her. Not that it could not happen of course and there is definitely such a thing as home country advantage. Happens in every Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Julia's PCS will rise at least 1 or 2 points next week in the LP. She will crack 70 in PCS for sure. Who is counting against this?

Kim's SP will not beat Julia's SP because her spins will not get the same level and same GOE. Steps will be a wash. Jumps? Julia's perfect lutz + perfect 3T will get +2 and +3 GOE. Kim has no advantage over her in GOE either.

Kostner is already done. Her perfect SP with superior everything lost to traveling spins, tiny jumps, flutz, weak skills, heart drawing juniorish program.

Asada will not be able to rotate her jumps in time. I think Asada might even fall behind Kostner at this point.
    YuNa is not spinner but her spin is centered and fast.
    she usually get level 4 on her spins except layback spin because she doesnt do biellman.

Remember she got the highst GOE on spins at 2013 Worlds which is higher than Asada.

Since junior, YuNa has always get high score in spins. she never lost level 4 until she quit biellman position.

Julias gonna get more GOE on spins than YuNa but the GOE factor on spin is only 50 percent.

On spins, the gap between YuNa and Julia is very close.

but the thing is jumps. Biased Judges gave RIDICULOUS GOE on Julia's pre-rotated and tiny jumps so..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yuki90 View Post
    YuNa is not spinner but her spin is centered and fast.
    she usually get level 4 on her spins except layback spin because she doesnt do biellman.

Remember she got the highst GOE on spins at 2013 Worlds which is higher than Asada.

Since junior, YuNa has always get high score in spins. she never lost level 4 until she quit biellman position.

Julias gonna get more GOE on spins than YuNa but the GOE factor on spin is only 50 percent.

On spins, the gap between YuNa and Julia is very close.

but the thing is jumps. Biased Judges gave RIDICULOUS GOE on Julia's pre-rotated and tiny jumps so..
    I would have argued that about the spins and how Yuna has been getting the right levels consistently, but they gave Gracie's layback with the bielman a 3. ...? so anything can happen. I'm worried

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by elee63 View Post
    I would have argued that about the spins and how Yuna has been getting the right levels consistently, but they gave Gracie's layback with the bielman a 3. ...? so anything can happen. I'm worried
    They also gave level 2 on Akiko's step which Ive always thought the best step sequence ever among Ladies.
    and some of judges gave Julia more SS in PCS than Caro and Mao.
    This is not just Olympic Inflation. This is a proof that ISU is CORRUPTED.

Custom Title

This is what I think will happen, though I hope I am wrong. So many say they were okay with the inflated scores as long as the placements were correct, but I believe the scores contribute to perceptions of the skaters by the judges and tech callers in future competitions, so I don't find the inflated scores innocuous. I fear Yuna and the others will not be getting the same inflation as Julia in the individual comp.

I hope I'm wrong and look forward to writing a bolded "I was so wrong" post after the Individual comp is over. Accurate scoring for all and try to keep the inflation to a minimum, Olympics or no Olympics!

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar

Superior everything??? I love Kostner but her spins are not better. I'd say anybody who understands the scoring knows that Julia's TES is better. Make fun of Julia's heart on the ice because its not like Kostner does anything like wiggle her hips and blow kisses very awkward but I look past it and look forward to her transitions and SSeq. I don't understand all the disrespectful hate here. I would love to see Kostner get a medal but not if Julia or ANYONE beats her.

Quote Originally Posted by alexis View Post
    Dear Sam-Skwantch,
    I don't mean to call you out or anything, but I really don't hope "Lipnitskaia's the limit" like your custom title suggests. This sport needs more athletes jumping higher and faster with greater artistry. Do you really wish the technical ability and artistic side to stop at Julia's level for the future? (i.e. You don't wish ladies to attempt more advanced jump combinations like 3A-3T, 4T, 4S or more difficult spins than Julia's candle spin and so forth???)
    Wow it's just a play on words. I LOVE all the skaters...especially Mao and Yuna. Julia has tons of room to grow. Stop hating. She packaged an explosive program that is full of technical skating at a furious pace. She does it while maintaining a somber character which is appropriate considering the FS and I would argue harder than it looks. She is smart to show her strengths and hide her weaknesses. Yes I see them. Of course she is not the limit. There are many other skaters with multiple attributes better than hers. That doesn't mean they have better programs or have positioned themselves to be on medal contention. How people tear apart and don't celebrate one of the best young skaters we have ever seen is so sad. Julia is NOT the best overall skater but she is one of the fiercest competitors ever. Look up what Kwan,Sato, Ashley and Gracie say about that. Add to it one of the best packaged skater's of the year but feel free to hate. That should progress the sport.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Wow it's just a play on words. I LOVE all the skaters...especially Mao and Yuna. Julia has tons of room to grow. Stop hating. She packaged an explosive program that is full of technical skating at a furious pace. She does it while maintaining a somber character which is appropriate considering the FS and I would argue harder than it looks. She is smart to show her strengths and hide her weaknesses. Yes I see them. Of course she is not the limit. There are many other skaters with multiple attributes better than hers. That doesn't mean they have better programs or have positioned themselves to be on medal contention. How people tear apart and don't celebrate one of the best young skaters we have ever seen is so sad. Julia is NOT the best overall skater but she is one of the fiercest competitors ever. Look up what Kwan,Sato, Ashley and Gracie say about that. Add to it one of the best packaged skater's of the year but feel free to hate. That should progress the sport.
    Agreed on all counts. Julia is a phenomenal talent. I never tire of watching her Schindler's List LP. It is the program of the year, imho.

I'm probably in the minority here and it seems impossible for some here to be impartial but I have a suggestion. There is one skater that I just flat out don't like and it's mostly due to off ice attitude. When she skates though I find myself hoping for her to skate her best and change my mind. From time time she actually does. I feel no need to say her name or show up to a thread and tear her apart but instead try to find things about her to like. This has worked amazingly for me and I've actually enjoyed the sport as a whole for it. It's called staying open minded.

Here again is my medal prediction just for fun

YUNA
    JULIA
    MAO

I think Sotnikova could challenge bronze or overtake Julia. Adelina seems to always beat Julia in Russia. Mao just looks beatable and it makes me sad now to say that:(. I don't think Caro could over take her though as Caro is just not technical enough in a field this deep.

So I guess it could be

Yuna
    Adelina
    Julia

If there are two Russians on the podium which wouldn't surprise me, no matter how deserved or well they skate, GS WILL BE UNBEARABLE for some time to come. Any accomplishment outside of Yuna and Mao is greeted with suspicion.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I thought Kostner should have beaten Julia in the SP (although it was close) but better everything is indeed laughable. Kostner is by far the worst spinner of the top 12 or so. Julia is by far the best spinner in the World today. Yet I guess according to Flattfan, even Kostner's spins were better.
    Yes!! Except I think Julia win is BARELY justifiable due to the enormous pressure she faced. I'd have have called it a tie and given the nod to Julia....first Olympics and all. She is established now and that should be thrown out on the individual medal. If the both skate clean again I'd give a nod back to Caro for the sake of fairness.

I think the judging will be more fair in the individuals but I'm starting to think Julia can EARN a 210-215 and deserve it. Wow. Wouldn't have said that in November! She has gained so much momentum and she is poised to pounce on anything the top girls leave for the taking.

Rinkside

WoW.........I am very afraid that I can not to see this sport at the Olympic any longer....

Lol that was just miscommunication. I meant maybe the scores will come. Sorry to confuse
    Hee, I'm sorry, too. I can't believe how sensitive I've become. It's just figure skating, for crying out loud! I guess these few days of speculations, hypes and decries got to me and riled me up for absolutely no good reason.

That said, I also have to admit, it's also kind of fun in its own way. Therapeutic, even.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast