Is Lipnitskaya unbeatable? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Lipnitskaya unbeatable?

bebevia

On the Ice
Did you forget the suitcases have changed hands already? Uh...I mean did you forget we are in Russia and Poutine is watching? ;)
Poutine is Canadian; Putin is Russian. I know that because I'm a poutineholic Canadian, and Canadians try hard to make sure that the two are not in the mix.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Yuna is the gold standard. She would need a major meltdown for any one to beat her. Not that it could not happen of course and there is definitely such a thing as home country advantage. Happens in every Olympics.

yuki90

On the Ice
Julia's PCS will rise at least 1 or 2 points next week in the LP. She will crack 70 in PCS for sure. Who is counting against this?
Her TES might be padded upward.

I can see her getting closer to 145 in the LP.

In the SP, I see her getting 74.

Kim's SP will not beat Julia's SP because her spins will not get the same level and same GOE. Steps will be a wash. Jumps? Julia's perfect lutz + perfect 3T will get +2 and +3 GOE. Kim has no advantage over her in GOE either.
I could see Kim's losing in the SP even because her spins are weaker.

If Kim makes 1 mistake, she will not beat a clean robot.

Kostner is already done. Her perfect SP with superior everything lost to traveling spins, tiny jumps, flutz, weak skills, heart drawing juniorish program.

Asada will not be able to rotate her jumps in time. I think Asada might even fall behind Kostner at this point.
YuNa is not spinner but her spin is centered and fast.
she usually get level 4 on her spins except layback spin because she doesnt do biellman.

Remember she got the highst GOE on spins at 2013 Worlds which is higher than Asada.

Since junior, YuNa has always get high score in spins. she never lost level 4 until she quit biellman position.

Julias gonna get more GOE on spins than YuNa but the GOE factor on spin is only 50 percent.

On spins, the gap between YuNa and Julia is very close.

but the thing is jumps. Biased Judges gave RIDICULOUS GOE on Julia's pre-rotated and tiny jumps so..

guanchi

On the Ice
It's hard to explain what qualities Julia possesses that make her unbeatable. I believe it can be better explained by AYDIT. AYDIT?? Where are you...?

vegarin

On the Ice
It's hard to explain what qualities Julia possesses that make her unbeatable. I believe it can be better explained by AYDIT. AYDIT?? Where are you...?

The quality that somehow gets her 3-3 the same GOEs as Yuna's, it seems.

Kostner is already done. Her perfect SP with superior everything lost to traveling spins, tiny jumps, flutz, weak skills, heart drawing juniorish program.
This makes me really sad, actually. I still can't believe Carolina lost out to Julia in SP.

yuki90

On the Ice
The quality that somehow gets her 3-3 the same GOEs as Yuna's, it seems.

This makes me really sad, actually. I still can't believe Carolina lost out to Julia in SP.

Agreed, Julia should get 68 in SP and 131 in FP.

sweetskates1

Medalist
:cry: well the one thing that consoles me is that Gracie's performance/skating skills are not that polished. Julia benefits from her small stature and fierce-less attack - it is great combination. I am hopeful that clean Asada, Kim and Kostner will prevail. If you notice, Kim did not compete at all, Carolina only competed once with her new program, Mao only competed once with a fall on her 3axel. Once they go against her in both SP an FD they should be able to earn better point gaps.

The way I see it, Julia has won the gold medal and there is no way anyone else can win.

Julia and Gracie did, IIRC, the same triples.
Julia was 12 points ahead of Gracie.
I am assuming that several of these points are coming from her signature spins, especially the one where she grabs her skate while it is straight up in the air.
Nobody else can physically do this. Most people's arms are shorter than their legs. In fact, by most, I mean 99% of the population. Even Yuna's arms are shorter than her legs.

Therefore, literally nobody can beat this girl. I would be shocked if anyone else can win, unless she melts down, and she doesn't appear prone to do that.

They may as well just give her the medal now.:laugh:

vegarin

On the Ice
So I've been reading up interviews and such and killing time while battling cold, and in other threads that A)there were judges who gave Julia .5 or higher on SS compared to Mao and Carolina and B)Julia allegedly said in her post LP interview that no one does a lutz properly anymore?

Can anyone confirm whether the latter, B, is true? Because that actually makes me mad? Up until now I was kind of showing a token resistance of someone old who thinks it's unfair that the veterans are unceremoniously pushed aside for a shiny new star whose skills are obviously not yet set but being judged perhaps way too generously, but if she really said the latter, then no, that's just it. That's just a slap in the face to the skaters who have been trying for years to perform a correct lutz take off for years trying not to be penalized. What the heck?

I hope it's falsely attributed or exaggerated. Otherwise, I want anyone and everyone to beat her.

billie

Spectator
IMO, the question "is Julia unbeatable?" doesn'st make sense..
The question should be ''can Julia beat Yuna With minor mistake or Mao with only 1 3A?"

s_parks

Record Breaker
So I've been reading up interviews and such and killing time while battling cold, and in other threads that A)there were judges who gave Julia .5 or higher on SS compared to Mao and Carolina and B)Julia allegedly said in her post LP interview that no one does a lutz properly anymore?

Can anyone confirm whether the latter, B, is true? Because that actually makes me mad? Up until now I was kind of showing a token resistance of someone old who thinks it's unfair that the veterans are unceremoniously pushed aside for a shiny new star whose skills are obviously not yet set but being judged perhaps way too generously, but if she really said the latter, then no, that's just it. That's just a slap in the face to the skaters who have been trying for years to perform a correct lutz take off for years trying not to be penalized. What the heck?

I hope it's falsely attributed or exaggerated. Otherwise, I want anyone and everyone to beat her.

I also heard that quote and was very disappointed and, dare I say, outraged. What is she trying to imply, exactly? That her incorrect technique doesn't matter and deserves the high score? Most of all, I fear she won't correct her jump(s), given this statement is true. I hope this is mistranslation. If not...:disapp:

elee63

Final Flight
YuNa is not spinner but her spin is centered and fast.
she usually get level 4 on her spins except layback spin because she doesnt do biellman.

Remember she got the highst GOE on spins at 2013 Worlds which is higher than Asada.

Since junior, YuNa has always get high score in spins. she never lost level 4 until she quit biellman position.

Julias gonna get more GOE on spins than YuNa but the GOE factor on spin is only 50 percent.

On spins, the gap between YuNa and Julia is very close.

but the thing is jumps. Biased Judges gave RIDICULOUS GOE on Julia's pre-rotated and tiny jumps so..

I would have argued that about the spins and how Yuna has been getting the right levels consistently, but they gave Gracie's layback with the bielman a 3. ...? so anything can happen. I'm worried

elee63

Final Flight
IMO, the question "is Julia unbeatable?" doesn'st make sense..
The question should be ''can Julia beat Yuna With minor mistake or Mao with only 1 3A?"

isn't there already the Julia vs Yuna thread though? :p

Puchi

On the Ice
Yulia is totally beatable.

Her scores, in the other hand, are almost unbeatable.

Two different things.

yuki90

On the Ice
I would have argued that about the spins and how Yuna has been getting the right levels consistently, but they gave Gracie's layback with the bielman a 3. ...? so anything can happen. I'm worried

They also gave level 2 on Akiko's step which Ive always thought the best step sequence ever among Ladies.
and some of judges gave Julia more SS in PCS than Caro and Mao.
This is not just Olympic Inflation. This is a proof that ISU is CORRUPTED.

ivy

On the Ice
Julia has an appealing narrative - cute, very young, home town girl, almost quit skating, now skating to Shindler's List....it's the kind of stuff the Olympics lap up

wallylutz

Medalist
Under normal circumstances, Carolina Kostner's SP in the Team Event would have been quite a big higher than 70. If you compare her to Yu Na, sure she loses some BV in the combo by about 2 points. Everything else being fairly equal, if not slightly better, so we can extrapolate that if Yu Na's SP is worth 80, then Carolina should be at least somewhere between 74-78. Instead, her marks were "surpressed", no need to look further than who was in this audience to see why. I wish Queen Elizabeth II would pay as much attention to figure skating during the Vancouver Olympics, then perhaps things would turn out differently.

Therefore, it stands to reason that using Yu Na's past scores to compare them to Yulia's scores in Sochi is bound to be a flawed comparison. Not only the Russians are getting a score boost, simultaneously, the other skaters have their scores kept in check. Russians are breaking seasons best after seasons best, sometimes by a large margin for average performances. The other skaters, well, even when they skated well, their scores are rather subdued.

I honestly think Yu Na and especially her fans are in for some nasty surprises and for once, I sincerely hope to be wrong because I would rather much see Yu Na win than a hyperinflated Yulia winning via a Guiness World record because who is in the audience and how much money went "missing" during the lead up to Sochi Olympics : read, $30 billion to be exact.

wallylutz

Medalist
Julia has an appealing narrative - cute, very young, home town girl, almost quit skating, now skating to Shindler's List....it's the kind of stuff the Olympics lap up

Did you see her photo op with Poutine today? Next thing you know, there will be a rumor that Poutine and her are dating each other...

wootie

Match Penalty
I agree with some of the other posters here about Yulia's absurd inflation and her total lack of artistic prowess. Yes, she's a technical marvel...boy can she extend that leg vertically!!! Boy can she rotate that double axel super fast! Boy does she look super busy on the ice! It must mean she's an amazing skater, right?! Eh, no. So it's great that she is consistent and lands her triples pretty regularly. But Yulia looks like some sort of freakish Frankenstein gymnast robot on the ice, not a lyrical and athletic thoroughbred. She always looks dour and everything appears old hat for some reason when watching her. All the flexibility and ice cold precision...yet....soooooo dry and uninspiring. I know she's young, but something about her aura, persona comes across as dull and automated. She has a lot of mental toughness and some good technique, but nothing about her is artistic. Blah.