Is Lipnitskaya unbeatable? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is Lipnitskaya unbeatable?

Ven

Match Penalty
The sad thing for Julia and her fans, if she had been scored fairly, she still would have beaten Gracie (who was a bit overscored too, not much) and won 1st place and Team Gold. Everyone would be commending her for a good performance. Instead now there is a lot of talk about scandal and corrupt judging.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
In the SP, it would take a miracle for a clean Kim to beat a clean Julia. I call it now. They will not let Julia with visibly better spins and better drawing and same jump content to lose to Yuna.
In the LP, a perfect Yuna will beat her by about 4 points max.

If you think Yuna can make a mistake in the SP or a mistake in the LP and still beat a clean robot, you need a reality check.

Elaine

On the Ice
Until I checked protocols from the team event, I had expected a clean Yuna to get about 76-78 for the SP. But now, I think the judges are going to give her 74... perhaps 75 at best. Because of step and spins. In the team event no one got level 4 on step. If Akiko, Carolina, Mao couldn't get level 4 on steps, I don't think judges will give level 4 to Yuna. So -1~2 points. And for spins, imo Yuna is not that bad spinner although it seems other posters here think she is. But she is not that great, either. She's got some good scores for her spins before, but here in Russia especially when judges have the best spinner as their favourite, I suppose they want to give Julia a very clear edge over Yuna for spins. So it's very likely for Yuna to get less GOEs for her spins than usual. Problem is, even if jumps have to be exactly the opposite, to give Yuna a clear edge over Julia, (If they give those kinds of GOEs to Julia's jump, Yuna's jumps (if she is in top form) should get all +3s! Judges really should do that) it seems it's not going to happen for jumps!

BTW, what happened here? :unsure:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The odds are Julia will not be clean considering she has had two clean performances And Yuna will still score higher even with an error as her PB suggests. Yes, Julia has small jumps andis not artistically mature as Gracie or Yuna or Mao. There are a lot of pro Mao pro Yuna or Julia but let's step back here. yuna's score suggests if she is cleanJulia cna't touch her. We have not really seen a clean Mao and while she has 8 potential triples in the free inlcude an axel we hav enever seen her skte anywhere close and while Julia hasa lutz problems Mao has had problems all over frome edges to urs to inconsistency. Not as bad as Abbott but nevertheless she has spent so much time fixing and fliping beween axel v. no axel. she doesn't have a triple triple and her tirple loop double loop looked ur. Julia is clearly beatable even by Gracie or Wagner if the are clean as well as seasoned Carolina but sadly in some ways I predict one of the inconsisent skaters will skate well - carollina, wagner, gracie (well she is developing), mao and you might even see Suzuki or Adelina sorry I don't think Murakami is in the mix or Li or Osmond.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Now that the team event ended, as a Yuna fan I unbelievably myself am in the calm. Is not giving-up. lol. A feeling which is a little detached or transcendent for results? I finally am starting understanding Yuna's attitude of last&this season from within.
Environment, setting are a matter which is out of hands of fans&skaters. So I simply, really hope Yuna leaves two beautiful performances at her last stage. This is important.

ks777

Record Breaker
nobody is seeing the spammers? Is something wrong with my computer?

vegarin

On the Ice
Nope, it's not just you. Some spams are trying to sell me iPhone, I think?

If they think they can obviously go for lowballing everyone else's in individual events, they will have to think again. They may have little to no problem with suppressing (or selectively choosing not to apply the inflation) Carolina's or Mao's or Gracie's scores and possibly get away with it, because it's not too clear to a layman what they should be getting, but in Yuna's case, her best scores is the worlds records. It's not that hard to remember, especially if they're trying to push for Julia beating one or both or all three of the scores. The scores will be brought up every time that someone gets anywhere close to going perfectly clean. And Yuna just scored the second highest free and total scores last year, correct? Just a few months ago people were guessing that a clean Yuna may have a shot in breaking those records again. If Yuna skates clean and doesn't get anywhere near that, while Julia does? The Russian audience may not get or feel it at the time of the events, but you can be sure that the media will have a field day. Korean media would have a seizure. I don't think Japan will stand for it either. (Can you imagine Yuna being beaten by Julia for the gold while Mao is still standing right there? I honestly think that at least from the media and fan reactions, Yuna would rather be beaten by a perfect Mao and vice versa.) As it is, the team event scoring is generating quite a bit of "what", so the full grown hysteria is expected at the individual events.

So I guess the Russian Federation should be praying for Yuna to have a really bad day. That would solve many problems for them.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Did Julia really make that comment about the Lutz? I really liked her this season but my opinion of her is starting to go downhill. I'm finding those articles declaring her the darling of the games nauseating. It's a shame. I do hope that this doesn't go to her head making her believe she actually deserves the scores she's getting. Took a look at the protocols and they're just ridiculous. Scary thing is they haven't maxed out the inflation. That team LP was not a personal best performance despite of what the score would indicate. I'm starting to root for Yuna now. However, just because Yuna has previously gotten 148, 150, it doesn't mean the judges will deem her worthy of those scores now. Sure they'll get backlash for holding her down, but backlash is backlash. It doesn't change the score or results unless it can be proven that there was cheating. I dearly hope this competition doesn't become a farce but it's not looking good.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
The quality that somehow gets her 3-3 the same GOEs as Yuna's, it seems.

This makes me really sad, actually. I still can't believe Carolina lost out to Julia in SP.

No, her triple-triple got 1.40 when the tech panel ruled against an edge call. Yuna's will be 2.10 like at 2013 Worlds. If Julia has a clear inside edge like the second Lutz in the FS Julia will get -.20 to 0.00 GOE, either way Yuna's will be better, unless she makes a mistake. PCS-wise, Yuna will be better because everything that Julia can do technically Yuna can do better. When Yuna goes clean her PCS will be at least 5-6 points higher accounting for Olympic inflation.

I can believe that Carolina lost to Julia in the SP. I could also believe if it had happened the other way around. They were to close in many aspects in that instance both performing sublimely and if Carolina had been given 3 or 4 points higher PCS I would have accepted it.

Her perfect SP with superior everything lost to traveling spins, tiny jumps, flutz, weak skills, heart drawing juniorish program.

Only one spin that traveled. And only on the final position, after executing way more revolutions than required. She nevertheless kept a stable body position and continued to rotate with blinding speed. Her other two spins were 100% centered and sublime to watch. Height may be the be all, end all for you, but the fact that she can be relied upon to give fully rotated triples and double Axels that look effortless, as well as her amazing spins, make her skating great to watch for the rest of us. Doing so while skating two beautifully choreographed programs that are charming for people to watch. No way does that correspond to a "juniorish" program.

yuki90

On the Ice
No, her triple-triple got 1.40 when the tech panel ruled against an edge call. Yuna's will be 2.10 like at 2013 Worlds. If Julia has a clear inside edge like the second Lutz in the FS Julia will get -.20 to 0.00 GOE, either way Yuna's will be better, unless she makes a mistake. PCS-wise, Yuna will be better because everything that Julia can do technically Yuna can do better. When Yuna goes clean her PCS will be at least 5-6 points higher accounting for Olympic inflation.

I can believe that Carolina lost to Julia in the SP. I could also believe if it had happened the other way around. They were to close in many aspects in that instance both performing sublimely and if Carolina had been given 3 or 4 points higher PCS I would have accepted it.

Her perfect SP with superior everything lost to traveling spins, tiny jumps, flutz, weak skills, heart drawing juniorish program.

Only one spin that traveled. And only on the final position, after executing way more revolutions than required. She nevertheless kept a stable body position and continued to rotate with blinding speed. Her other two spins were 100% centered and sublime to watch. Height may be the be all, end all for you, but the fact that she can be relied upon to give fully rotated triples and double Axels that look effortless, as well as her amazing spins, make her skating great to watch for the rest of us. Doing so while skating two beautifully choreographed programs that are charming for people to watch. No way does that correspond to a "juniorish" program.

No. she pre-rotates almost 270 degree on the ice with full blade when she takes off her triple flip and Flutz.
you can easily find out in slow motion. this is really bad take off and cheating. you have no idea how hard for skaters to rotate more 180 degree in the air. Of course, Its almost impossible to not pre-rotate when skaters take off their jumps but almost 270 dgree is just cheating and should get under rotation mark but Judges gave her 1.4 GOE
YuNa got 1.4 GOE on her 3-3 in SP at 2013 Worlds.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
I hope Yu-Na brings it in her short because I think that's where she may win the competition. If she goes clean I'm expecting around 80, given the crazy inflation these Olympics.

CarneAsada

Medalist
I hope Yu-Na brings it in her short because I think that's where she may win the competition. If she goes clean I'm expecting around 80, given the crazy inflation these Olympics.
Don't forget about spin/steplevels. She already doesn't go for a Level 4 layback so there are some points left on the table, and considering how neither Kostner nor Asada managed to get Level 4 footwork, it makes me wonder how Kim will be judged.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Don't forget about spin/steplevels. She already doesn't go for a Level 4 layback so there are some points left on the table, and considering how neither Kostner nor Asada managed to get Level 4 footwork, it makes me wonder how Kim will be judged.

Yes, but I'm expecting Yuna's (and Mao's) PCS and greater GOE on their jumps to make up for it. Simply put, Julia maxes out at around 73 for her short. I think a clean Mao and Yu-Na should therefore score around 80. I would be really upset if Julia's tiny 3Lz-3T gets +1.4 and Yu-Na's scores the same. If Julia's getting that much, Yu-Na should get +3s across the board. Also, I know Yu-Na isn't the best at spins but she is very very decent with arguably better centering than Lipnitskaia, so that should at least count for something.

yuki90

On the Ice

the gap between level 3 in layback spin and level 4 is only 0.3 point.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
As talented a jumper Julia is....and yes, her spins are unbelievable-I don't find it at all attractive and it's almost freakishly too much flexibility..sort of like Gumby, you can bend him/her anyway...I'm sure her marks reflect this "talent" but sorry, I find no beauty in her skating at all...I literally had to turn away because it looks like her leg was going to pop out of the socket...sorry folks, just my observation. Good luck to all the skaters!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. :) I'm not much fan of such kind of flexibility too. Although I loved her full-split spin at the end, in my opinion, too much flexibility/bending/extension creates less beautiful position/lines. I like Yuna's layback in Meditation de Thais, Mirai's layback spin and Mao's spiral more than Julia's. :) Also, I don't find her movements in the step sequence beautiful. There are, for me, too much movements that doesn't quite go well with the music that made me feel like the program is unpolished. Just my opinion. :)

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
The quality that somehow gets her 3-3 the same GOEs as Yuna's, it seems.

Sorry but I disagree. Julia's jumps are weaker. They lack height, distance, tight and stable aerial position (sometimes). Yuna's jumps are massive with perfect air position and landings (99% of the time). That's why I don't see how people are saying Julia's jumps are "perfect". I certainly don't see why the judges gave her high GoEs especially on her 3Lz-3T.

acco-lade

Rinkside
So I've been reading up interviews and such and killing time while battling cold, and in other threads that A)there were judges who gave Julia .5 or higher on SS compared to Mao and Carolina and B)Julia allegedly said in her post LP interview that no one does a lutz properly anymore?

Can anyone confirm whether the latter, B, is true? Because that actually makes me mad? Up until now I was kind of showing a token resistance of someone old who thinks it's unfair that the veterans are unceremoniously pushed aside for a shiny new star whose skills are obviously not yet set but being judged perhaps way too generously, but if she really said the latter, then no, that's just it. That's just a slap in the face to the skaters who have been trying for years to perform a correct lutz take off for years trying not to be penalized. What the heck?

I hope it's falsely attributed or exaggerated. Otherwise, I want anyone and everyone to beat her.

Here it is. I am not sure what the truth is.
Google translator can not secure what she truely means.
http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/675829