Men's Free - Notes & Results | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men's Free - Notes & Results

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Gellio,

I wasn't rolling my eyes at you at ALL:) I guess I'll have to see all the performances, and I'm not the biggest fan of Joubert, but seeing Plushy pull it out after a fall at the last minute, after a string of near-flawless skates (except for Weiss)...THAT'S the reason for my rolleyes:laugh:

Cheers!

Sarah

rpiche

Rinkside
Yes, should anyone get 6.0's for presentation if you fell? It can't be perfect when you are tumbling.

Rosaleen

Medalist
I finally got on -- i've been trying to post after each skater and haven't been able to get on the board!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Group # 4

Johnny Weir USA Start # 19
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 Currently F 1 Overall 1
Dr. Zhivago soundtrack light blue sparkly on top navy on bottom
Taking his time getting set / music starts out very soft & melodic and his movement reflect it / music builds as he comes around for lovely 3a3t / CW jumper / 3s / he’s really skating to the music even when he’s setting up jumps / 3a / lovely fly cam to layover bent leg pos with great stretch / music is more melodic again and he’s doing chor / down the rink for a 3z3t / death drop to low spin to leg in front upright pos / 3f right a near boards didn’t see feet on landing / O ftwrk is very melodic and goes with music but turns are mostly in same direction / cam ch cam is very stretched with good speed / 3l right on beat of music / and we’re into Lara’s theme and he pauses at end of rink for diag ftwrk that again is really nice with nice hops & turns but is simple / moves with spirals / butterfly into combo spin that is just wonderful with great pos and boy did that program go by awfully fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!! / the crowd is on their feet !! it was just great!!!

Stephane Lambiel SUI Start # 20
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 Currently F 1 Overall 1
Buddha Bar IV black with semi sheer top with red underneath red at colllar
3a / some dancing in place and the music changes and the crowd is clapping really loud / 4t really low landing but clean 3t hopped out – fell out / don’t know what the next 1st jump was triple 3z according to others 3t / combo spin is just wonderful (as usual) / music is now slow & soft with aaaaahhhhs and he does some nice chor / missed a jump think 3f but not sure / 3l / flysit / strt ftwrk as the music changes again and the crowd is clapping / planned 3f and I don’t know what I saw / 3s / O ftwrk is wonder ful / crowd is distracting me and I can’t concentrate on what he’s doing – I’m just enjoying every second / combo spin is wonderful and is last spin that ends in headless and I just can’t describe them / The crowd is on their feet and cheering and clapping and I don’t think he can believe he skated so well -- you’ll have to get it on TV to get the exact elements – sorry about that but I just got so into the program I couldn’t write down what was happening.

Brian Joubert FRA Start # 21
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 Currently F 1 Overalll 1
Matrix soundtrack shiny black with green
Melacholy music and 4t / beat comes into music and crowd is clapping / 3f / 3a / there hasn’t been much chor up to now (1st minute) / nice upright spin / music softens and becomes melodic piano that starts to build and his chor matches it / 4t3t hopped out of 3t / back to chor to the same melodic music / 3l / more chor / heavy beat again and combo spin with crowd clapping and now he’splaying to judges with some stiacotto movement / heartbeat in background of very low music and more MITF / 3z / cam sit back sit upright with bent leg – 1st part of spin travel / sets up for strt ftwrk and the crowd is cheering and clapping and building as he goes and it’s yag’s style and he does it ok / 3s / there might have been a jump I missed that was on the cheat sheet / fly cam spin to end / and the crowd is on their feet and going nuts again /

Michael Weiss USA Start # 22
Ordinals 3 3 4 4 4 4 5 8 8 Currently F 4 Overall 4
US Patriot Music Navy blue with black trim military
Marching around to marching music / 4t3t 2foot on quad / 3z / sorry if I’m a bit distracted as I’m trying to connect as well to send off the first few skaters in this group – tried after each skater and haven’t been able to / nice upright spin ending in xfoot / amazing grace and some nice moves – really nice moves / 2a / 3l / flycam has great fly cam pos not great into nice upright with a salute / more moves / music changes to bugle revellely (sp?) / single wally into 3z / glory glory and what I think is the circular ftwrk which is quite nice / 3s / 3z / one of the lutze3s again was a flip not sure which / combo spin is nice with good pos / music slows and we have another either 3f or 3z / diag steps are very good / flycam with very good pos & speed into sit into forward scratch / there was nothing wrong with this skate but it just didn’t have the oomph of the last few programs /

Stefan Lindemann GER Start # 23
Ordinals 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 4 Currently F Overall
Le Petit Poucet gold top with brown pants
The crowd went nuts went he was introduced but they’re quiet as can be now /’
Really neat plucky music – harp? And some nice movement to go with it / 4t maybe hand down 3t / 3a 3t / very sharp sticatto music and he does his strt ftwrk very well / when he landed the 3a3t the crowd was deafening / I don’t know how he’s holding it together / 3z looked crooked in air but he pulled it out / 3l bit tight and squeeky on landing but kept it clean / combo spin is good / then a sit ch sit and the crowd is super quiet again and the music gets very slow and heavy and he’s doing chor / music is speeding up and he’s doing spirals and spread eagles / spread eagle right into 3a and the cheers go upagain / 3f and you can barely hear the music even though it’s really loud / and now the beat picks up and the crowd is clapping so loud you really can’t hear kthe music and he’s in very nice combo spin then a 3s I think and into his S footwrk and final scratch spin and you can’t hear the music at all they’ve been on their feet for the last 10 seconds of his program -- I don’t thinkt here’s a dry eye in the house / How he managed to concentrate and keep it together with the expectations of gthe crowd / he looks completely drained as he gets a huge hug from his coach / they’re showing the replays and the crowd is still cheering / You can almost feel the tension in the air – will he medal ??? He’s in 2nd overalll right now and they’ve just realized he’s got a medal and I don’t think he can believe it.

Plushy’s now on the ice and I have to concentrate….

Evgeni Plushenko RUS Start # 24
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Currently F 1 Overall 1
Tribute to Vaclav Nizhinski by Martin - Black with silver trim
4t3t2l / 4t / and that’s the opening and he’s doing some chor to the violin section / around 3a high and light as can be / music gets melodic and he’smoving with it / then around for another 3a pause 3t that he kind of had to hop out of / flycam to donut / I’m finding it hard to be really desriptive – most of you have seen this program so you’ll have to use your impagination a bit / strt ftwrki with the music building and the crowd cheering and clapping / down for 3z is great and cheers from the crowd / 3s / I’m not really seeing a lot of chor / combo spin is very good beillmann on only the front half bit of catch foot on the back / now he’s into the music againb and spiral in catch-foot pos / caught the back of his blade going into a loop and fell on his rear – big oh no from the crowd / lovely upright spin with leg in bent out pos / into fly combo spin to end and the crowd is on their feet again – not the riotous surprised applaus that Stefan got but still a fantastic receiption and he deserved it . WHAT A NIGHT OF SKATING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and to think I wasn’t going to come to worlds this year!!!

gellio

Rinkside
rpiche said:
Yes, should anyone get 6.0's for presentation if you fell? It can't be perfect when you are tumbling.

He had to get 6.0's because there were so many 5.9's before him. A 6.0 doesn't necessarily mean perfect. Marks are place-markers more than anything. He could have fallen and still been better than the rest of the field, which means if anyone else got a 5.9, he'd have to get a 6.0.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Remember Sasha's 6.0 at Nationals? Guess they want to use 'em all up before they're no longer in use--kind of like French folks spending Francs left and right before the introduction of the Euro:) Stupid comparison, I know; just being corny. I still don't think that Joubert beat Lambiel...am waiting to hear on it all from our correspondents in the field, Rosaleen, Joesitz, and Hockeyfan (you're there too, right, HF?:) )

Sarah

p.s. Oh, yeah, almost forgot, also waiting to see it on TV tonight:laugh:

rpiche

Rinkside
gellio said:
He had to get 6.0's because there were so many 5.9's before him. A 6.0 doesn't necessarily mean perfect. Marks are place-markers more than anything. He could have fallen and still been better than the rest of the field, which means if anyone else got a
5.9, he'd have to get a 6.0.

the thing is the judges that gave him 6.0's could have given him 5.9 for presentation, and he still have won. I think the point here is that judges gave them 6.0's because it's the last time they can.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
I guess so, Gellio; judging from the elements he did, he usually is head and shoulders above the field.

Sarah

gellio

Rinkside
rpiche said:
the thing is the judges that gave him 6.0's could have given him 5.9 for presentation, and he still have won. I think the point here is that judges gave them 6.0's because it's the last time they can.

Not really...if I as a judge give Joubert a 5.9 for presentation and Plushy is definitely better - I would have to give Plushy a 6.0. It doesn't make sense, I know, but marks are really placement holders. A 6.0 isn't necessarily a perfect mark.

I don't like the 6.0 system and I'm glad it's going away. I like the CoP.

rpiche

Rinkside
I am not saying Plushenko didn't deserve it but isn't it a little bit weird when the only guy in the final group to fall is the champion?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
What a great competition!!! Sorry for Lambiel, because he would have deserved a medal for his magnficient skate.

Plushy definetely deserved his win (although he had one fall) and the scores he got. His win would have been another matter if Joubert would have had a triple axel combination in his programme, but he didn´t. Now it was Plushy´s fall (in loop, I think) against the lack of Joubert´s triple axel combination. Besides Plushy had a three jump combination also. And we should not forget that Plushy won QR and SP.

Very enjoyable skating. I felt glad also for Sandhu that he did not fell apart after the fall in the behinning of his programme.

Marjaana

Last edited:

lulu

Final Flight
rpiche said:

I agree completely. The judges are probably more 'generous' since this is their last time.

And if Plushenko hadn't fallen, he probably would have gotten straight 6.0s for tech.

soogar

Record Breaker
If Yevgeny skated with the same fire he did in the SP, then a fall on a preparation to do a loop jump (at least according to Eurosport) wouldn't really bring down his presentation mark if he got right back into the program again. This is by the SP, I really don't think Joubert skates on the same level as Yevgeny. Yevgeny is a skate god, everyone else is mortal.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Well, if his jumps and combos were more difficult and better than Joubert's, if he presented better than Joubert, and if he was first going into the long, then I think those are good arguments for him winning.

I'll have to see it tonight, but I don't think too highly of Joubert's presentation in general. I think arguments can be made for both scenarios, i.e. Plushy was better/Joubert was shafted...

Still, WHAT a competition!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::love::love::love:

Sarah

rpiche

Rinkside
Jaana said:
What a great competition!!! Sorry for Lambiel, because he would have deserved a medal for his magnficient skate.

Plushy definetely deserved his win (although he had one fall) and the scores he got. His win would have been another matter if Joubert would have had a triple axel combination in his programme, but he didn´t.

Marjaana

So a fall on a jump is better than to skate clean without that jump?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
rpiche said:
So a fall on a jump is better than to skate clean without that jump?

Yes, because it is a question of Joubert´s lacking *triple axel combination*, which is really a miss. Plushy jumped that combination.

Last edited:

Kateri

On the Ice
I can't remember a better men's comp in terms of people having amazing skates.....just wonderful!

Am happy for Lindeman, but sorry for Lambiel, who I really felt should have been on the podium....but I'm no judge, really!

The only guy who fell at all in the final group won it - and I'm not arguing really, Plushy was brilliant, and I think, better than Joubert even with the fall.
Having said that, I think the judges would have given it to him whatever.....sigh.:sheesh:

But well done. I think Plush was more surprised by the win than anyone! He looked very glum till the marks came up, then started yelling!

And Weir - magical. Weiss was kinda lacklustre, but he landed a clean quad, which I can't remember him managing lately!

*what a night!*:D

soogar

Record Breaker
According to Eurosport, Yevgeny landed 6 triples and 2 quads and fell on preparation for a loop jump (not on the jump itself). At that point, he had already equalled Joubert's total of jumps so Yevgeny was not short an element. Plus Joubert hopped out of the triple toe on then end of the 4-3 combo while Yevgeny had a 4-3-2 combo.

thvudragon

On the Ice
Plushenko had more content overall, so I think his win was justified.

Although I wouldn't have given Plushenko a 6.0, I can see why a judge would. 4 judges gave Joubert 5.9s. 4 judges gave Plushenko 6.0s. If those 4 truly thought Plushenko was better, then they would of course go for 6.0s. These marks are relative, so it makes perfect sense to me.

TV

rpiche

Rinkside
Jaana said:
Yes, because it is a question of Joubert´s lacking *triple axel combination*, which is really a miss. Plushy jumped that combination.

But that still only explains the technical marks. I am not saying Plushenk shouldn't win...

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
HOORAY FOR LINDEMANN!!

I think that is just SO cool that he was able to do that on home ice!:D