Men's Free - Notes & Results | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's Free - Notes & Results

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
What an amazing night of skating! I know I'm in the minority here, but I was not wild about Plushy's program. He did WAY too much posing--by the third or fourth full stop to wave his arms a la ballet ("See, I'm doing a tribute to Nijinsky... GET IT?"), I was irritated enough to ask Mr. RG, "How many more times is he going to break up the flow of this program and just stand there?" When Uncle Dick said during the footwork sequence, "Look at his energy!" I said, "Yeah, sure, he's got energy because he's already taken like three major breaks."

So sorry we did not see Lambiel, but just loved Joubert and Lindeman and, of course, Weir.

Poor Mike--such a terrific talent with such mediocre choreography. If ONLY he could get away from his wife's horrid choreography JUST ONCE--we might see him reach new heights.

Thanks to all the skaters this evening for being so fantastic!

Kati

On the Ice
It really was an amazing competition! Was happy to be able to see it from the beginning to the end from RAI - our national TV is showing only the two last groups... (if you don't own a digibox)!And there were some very good skates even in the first group!
The highlights for me:
Ivan Dinev
Kevin Van Der Perren
Stefan Lindemann
Stephane Lambiel
both american guys had a good skate, for me Weir was better even without the quad
Joubert (hope he finds his very own style soon!)
and the amazing Plushy! I was SO happy for him!
Looking forward to see a great ladies competition! The men and the pairs have already fulfilled the hopes!

Kateri

On the Ice
Yeah, if anyone gets the chance to d/l Kevin van der Perren or Dinev's skates, do so - they were great.
Shame they messed up previously and ended up so low down ion the free.

k

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't think mikey had a triple axel in the long. It's really a shame b/c he had two quads (one two footed in combo). I never liked Mike's skating before but I really like his skating now. His SP was excellent and I thought that his SP should have beaten Weir's b/c MW had a 4-3 combo which despite two footing , was more than what Weir tried. Plus I liked MW's crisp style and speed in the SP. MW really fit in with the top group of guys in terms of ability and speed. I hope Don Laws can do something for him b/c I think MW has what it takes to challenge for that top spot. MW's LP music was horrible and it really sucked the sails out of the audience. You could hear moss growing in the stadium and that's really bad for such a rowdy crowd.

jesslily

Final Flight
His long porgram's music and choreography are much worse than his short. The long's music does not give chance to arrange flowing in-betweens. There are a lot of choice of music for him. From classic to soundtrack. Why did he end up this one, unless this year's world is held in USA.

mike79

On the Ice
soogar said:
I don't think mikey had a triple axel in the long. It's really a shame b/c he had two quads (one two footed in combo).

Weiss had one quad (two-footed). He tripled the other.

rain

Record Breaker
What an amazing night of men's skating that was! The final group was especially impressive. First: I really like Min Zhang - he has beautiful artistry as well as jumps - with a little more choreography he could really be a factor.

I was happy for the hometown boy winning the bronze, but I thought he was clearly outskated by Lambiel, who I would have had in second place, I think, though it was a bit of a toss-up between him and Joubert who also skated brilliantly. Plushenko skated wonderfully as well and was the most put-together package, so even with the fall I think he deserved the win, though the fall did deserve a deduction in the technical mark. Johnny Weir was wonderful as in the short, but he's got to get that quad. Weiss wasn't even all that bad - though the overly patriotic music does nothing for me - but he suffered basically from a stellar night of skating all-round.

ABC really didn't show Lambiel??!!?? Unbelievable. Thank all that is holy for CBC.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
yea... the men's long ended wonderfully. plush was the class of the field. he was quite overcome when the marks showed, LOL.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
What an amazing night of skating! I know I'm in the minority here, but I was not wild about Plushy's program. He did WAY too much posing--by the third or fourth full stop to wave his arms a la ballet ("See, I'm doing a tribute to Nijinsky... GET IT?"), I was irritated enough to ask Mr. RG, "How many more times is he going to break up the flow of this program and just stand there?" When Uncle Dick said during the footwork sequence, "Look at his energy!" I said, "Yeah, sure, he's got energy because he's already taken like three major breaks."
Poor Mike--such a terrific talent with such mediocre choreography. If ONLY he could get away from his wife's horrid choreography JUST ONCE--we might see him reach new heights.

RealtorGal I have to agree with you- Plush too much posing and stroking around and Mike DOES need a new choreographer. This isn't to say I don't like these skaters, I do.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
To Plushy's credit, though, how many skaters besides him would be anything left in the tank to do in-betweens after jumping passes of that difficulty? When you take that into consideration, I think the pauses and posing worked okay and have their purpose, choreographically and practically...

Sarah

sarahmistral

On the Ice
True...

it's also flair, presentation, conviction, authority, flow, and using everything in your arsenal (including jumping passes) to deliver a powerful performance, to make a statement, to deliver a message. I was just watching my download of Plushy's FS, and I feel he had all that--it was breathtaking, and even his spins, which usually aren't the fastest, went up a notch. I applaud the guy, not just for his jumps; jumps alone don't usually draw me in like that.

That's just me, though,

Sarah

soogar

Record Breaker
Plushy is way more than jumps. He skates with fire and speed and even though this rendition of Nijinski is not my favorite, the overall quality of his spins , footwork , speed in addition to his jumps is what sold this program. Tim Goebal is the kind of skater who is just jumps and nothing else. People wouldn't be going nuts for Plushy if *all* he did was pose in place and jump.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I agree that Plush is a wonderful technical jumper, although at times his jumps don't have a run out. However his "quality of spins" are not top notch. This is just my opinion.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I agree with you, dlkk, about Plushy's spins. Mr. RG and I commented on that last night: how slow his spins were. I would love to see him really pay attention to this aspect of his skating. There is no reason someone that talented can't get creative with his spins as well as increase his speed. There is life beyond the Bielmann!

libra 1

Rinkside
soogar said:
If Yevgeny skated with the same fire he did in the SP, then a fall on a preparation to do a loop jump (at least according to Eurosport) wouldn't really bring down his presentation mark if he got right back into the program again. This is by the SP, I really don't think Joubert skates on the same level as Yevgeny. Yevgeny is a skate god, everyone else is mortal.

Dear soogar,
it's a shame I found your message so late.
Anyway, all Russia agrees to your quote!
Vivat the king vivat!

libra - from Russia, with love