Evgeni Plushenko s scores raise questions about judging | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko s scores raise questions about judging

Darnella2005

Rinkside
Skating fans I hope you have an opportunity to read the latest article Brennan wrote in USA TODAY regarding the outrageous scores Evgeni Plushenko received for his long program in the team event. Brennan interviewed Audrey Weisiger who has been in this sport for 50 years and said she has seen it all over and over again, she still couldn’t believe her eyes. She said I Quote: Plushenko, spent a fair amount of time standing still (to catch his breath), preening and playing to the crowd – rather than doing the intricate transitions and footwork that are expected and required in the top-notch program – had received the highest scores of all five skaters in the men’s team long program.

She also noticed his scores for choreography in particular: an average of 8.79 out of 10, which is quite high, bordering on the judging system’s definition of “outstanding.”

She then went to Facebook and wrote:
“I need to rethink my choreography if that was the best score in choreography;” she wrote.

She’s not alone. At least two other people at a high level inside figure skating, who spoke with USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the topic, were surprised by the high component scores given to Plushenko, (end quote). Weisigner goes on to say she have the utmost respect for him (who has coached skaters from 20 different countries). “But for him to get the highest score in interpretation & choreography, it’s insulting to me for those who have choreographed according to the component criteria.

Now this statement is what made me upset because I have been an avid Figure Skating Fan since Dorothy Hamill. “As hard as this might be to believe, Plushenko actually received a few component scores from individual judges that were equal to or higher than the component scores received by Meryl Davis and Charlie White, the gold medal-favorite ice dancers who incomparable artistry is far superior to anything Plushenko does on the ice.”:mad:

“That’s ridiculous,: said Weisiger, founder and president of Grassroots to Champions, a consulting company that develops young skaters.

For her, the message the Olympic judges sent when rewarding Plushenko is troublesome not just for the integrity of the competition, but for the future of the sport.[/B]

My thoughts: This is the Olympics NOT favoritism and nation building for an athletes’ ego!! The Judges have criteria to follow and they are not doing their jobs. According to Weisiger, the nine judges give skaters program component scores in five different categories: skating skills, transitions/linking footwork/movement, performance/execution, choreography/composition and interpretation. These scores are not FLUID – they are based on a set of criteria that is, OSETNSIBLY, QUITE RIGID.
I hope the experts are alerted and we see fair judging in the individual competitions.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Mods, can we get a "The Russians are getting score-inflated/overscored/incorrectly scored" subforum or something?

Only sorta kinda kidding

Yeah, tread number 2345 on the same subject. ;)

Yes Plushenko was obviously ridiculously over-scored but funny how the US media only noticed it just now when Russia beat US in the Team Event. ;) I mean it's good that it's talked about more widely but funny how no NA hacks made that argument when Sale/Pelletier were "robbed." It's hard not to get cynical. :p

The comparison to Davis/White is not valid. Two different events. Different PCS criteria (Ice Dance uses that 'wonderful' table, Singles & Pairs only have the basic guidelines).

And no, the PCS criteria is anything but rigid. It's very loose and undefined, sadly. Still, impossible to argue Plushenko getting 8s and 9s, using the criteria that we do have.

P.S. You didn't link the article.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Agree about threads. Maybe an "Olympic Judging" sub-category.

Being in my forties, and having watched every Olympics starting from Lake Placid, Plushy has ALWAYS been gifted 'the second mark' whether it was 6.0 or CoP. I was actually curious to see if he would have more of a CoP style program but, nope, he was classic Plushy. And while I don't support that kind of skating, I'd have been disappointed if he hadn't come out and posed in the middle of the ice mid-program.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:slink: I was glad to see some good ol' 6.0 style skating, just saying.

A nice camel spin without as Frank Carroll describes it, some skater sticking his or her leg behind his or her neck and spitting nickels.

Darnella2005

Rinkside
Yeah, tread number 2345 on the same subject. ;)

Yes Plushenko was obviously ridiculously over-scored but funny how the US media only noticed it just now when Russia beat US in the Team Event. ;) I mean it's good that it's talked about more widely but funny how no NA hacks made that argument when Sale/Pelletier were "robbed." It's hard not to get cynical. :p

The comparison to Davis/White is not valid. Two different events. Different PCS criteria (Ice Dance uses that 'wonderful' table, Singles & Pairs only have the basic guidelines).

And no, the PCS criteria is anything but rigid. It's very loose and undefined, sadly. Still, impossible to argue Plushenko getting 8s and 9s, using the criteria that we do have.

P.S. You didn't link the article.

Hi Ziggy; I'm new to the boards so I'm not able to post links yet. I just hope the Olympics live up to awarding these wonderful hard working athletes for what they demonstrate on the ice not just on reputation.
Sorry, if this thread is a repeat. I didn't notice. :love: Thank you Sk8n Mama for recommending a sub-category. :)

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
:slink: I was glad to see some good ol' 6.0 style skating, just saying.

A nice camel spin without as Frank Carroll describes it, some skater sticking his or her leg behind his or her neck and spitting nickels.
Agree about the spin bit completely. I expected them to have changed that requirement for L4 by now.

auser

Record Breaker