Official Olympic Figure Skating event threads suggested standardized naming nomenclature | Golden Skate

Official Olympic Figure Skating event threads suggested standardized naming nomenclature

sowcow

On the Ice
Official Olympic Figure Skating event threads suggested standardized naming nomenclature

Hi all -

Perhaps it's just me, but I keep getting lost trying to locate certain threads. For the 'official' or 'main' threads covering each segment of the competition (e.g. Pairs SP, Mens SP, Team Ladies SP, etc) I currently count at least 8 different naming styles/formats being used:

Current 'Mix' of Naming Nomenclature:

2014 Olympics Men SP

2014 Olympics Mens Short Program
2014 Olympics Pairs Short Program

2014 Olympics Pairs SP (Individuals) [Part 2]
2014 Olympics Pairs SP (Individuals)

2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Short Program
2014 Olympics Team Event Mens Free Skate

2014 Olympics Team Free Dance

Team Pairs Free Skate
Team Ladies Free Skate

Team Event: Pairs SP Report - 2014 Winter Olympics
Team Event: Men SP Report - 2014 Winter Olympics
Team Event: Ladies SP Report - 2014 Winter Olympics
Team Event: Ice Dance SD Report - 2014 Winter Olympics

Team Event Pair's SP
Team Event men's short program
Team Event Ice Dance Short Dance

May I suggest to the mods that they pre-name all remaining 'offical/main' event threads (and perhaps re-name those already started) so there is some consistency? This would make it much easier to find particular threads.

I would suggest to use the naming nomenclature below since it has several advantages to those already in use, including:

• it allows for the shortest possible titles (while still fully describing each event)
  • it allows all the 'official' event threads to be at the TOP of any alphabetical thread sort (since each starts with "2014")
  • it ensures all the team events are placed AFTER the individual events in any alphabetical thread sort (and the individual events are what everyone will be interested in finding going forward)

Proposed Naming Nomenclature:

2014 Olympics - Dance FD
2014 Olympics - Dance SD

2014 Olympics - Ladies FS
2014 Olympics - Ladies SP
2014 Olympics - Men FS
2014 Olympics - Men SP

2014 Olympics - Pairs FS
2014 Olympics - Pairs SP

2014 Olympics - Team - Dance FD
2014 Olympics - Team - Dance SD

2014 Olympics - Team - Ladies FS
2014 Olympics - Team - Ladies SP
2014 Olympics - Team - Men FS
2014 Olympics - Team - Men SP

2014 Olympics - Team - Pairs FS
2014 Olympics - Team - Pairs SP

Hope this is helpful.

Steve

Last edited:
My obsessive-compulsive traits approve of this thread.

However: You are wrong. It's not LP. It's FS. Free. Skating.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the suggestion sowcow! I agree -- CONSISTENCY FOR THE WIN. (That applies in both naming + the Olympics) :biggrin:

Also I agree it would be a good idea to pin the actual event threads so the six trillion threads people are posing over every little thing can be below that.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I agree with consistency but can I also suggest making sure the format for each event thread is similar with the useful links at the top of the top post? Makes the info easier to find and formatting just looks pretty.

(Inconsistencies make me twitch, ha. I'll actually erase and rewrite notes in my notebook rather than leave a word by itself on a line)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree with consistency but can I also suggest making sure the format for each event thread is similar with the useful links at the top of the top post? Makes the info easier to find and formatting just looks pretty.

(Inconsistencies make me twitch, ha. I'll actually erase and rewrite notes in my notebook rather than leave a word by itself on a line)

Good idea. The mods can definitely modify the top post...

Yeah, mods could always just edit the OP to dump all the relevant links and info there so it's easily accessible.

And it looks like the mods has responded YAY!

Thank you thank you thank you! <3

I'll post all of my reports in the relevant event threads now, not to create more unnecessary clutter.

Is it ok if I make one thread with links to all of the reports in it, so they're easily accessible/found?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thank you thank you thank you! <3

I'll post all of my reports in the relevant event threads now, not to create more unnecessary clutter.

Is it ok if I make one thread with links to all of the reports in it, so they're easily accessible/found?

I think that would be a good idea. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
May I suggest to the mods that they pre-name all remaining 'offical/main' event threads (and perhaps re-name those already started) so there is some consistency? This would make it much easier to find particular threads. ...

Hope this is helpful.

Steve

Also I agree it would be a good idea to pin the actual event threads so the six trillion threads people are posing over every little thing can be below that.

Many thanks to Steve and the mods, Mrs. P, and Chem66. :bow:

Completely support these "best practices," which some of us have been quietly trying to follow on our own. Very appreciative of the group discussion and group effort to institutionalize them.

AND I will add my hope/suggestion that they become standard operating procedure for ANY and EVERY major competition going forward.

The problem of the event threads getting "lost" amid other threads is greatest for the Olympics, but consistent nomenclature and format also would be very helpful for Junior Worlds, Worlds ... the Senior Bs next season, GPs, etc., etc.

Yeah, mods could always just edit the OP to dump all the relevant links and info there so it's easily accessible.

Important addendum re the OP:
Just want to be clear that the onus of GATHERING the relevant links for the OP should NOT fall on the mods, who already work so hard for our benefit.​

If the person who starts a new event thread does not include relevant links at the outset (for whatever reason -- maybe they are not available at the time of the first post), one of us "rank-and-file" ;) members should provide them in one or more subsequent posts.
Then and only then would I ask the mods to copy and paste the relevant links into the OP from posts further down in the thread. (In the past, the mods sometimes "magically" have done so already. Thank you, mods. :bow:)
I feel strongly that the mods should not have to go looking further afield for the relevant links.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Uniformity is good, but please do not use apostrophes, colons, commas, or other punctuation in your titles. Punctuation interacts with vBulletin to make some pages completely inaccessible until the name of the thread is changed.

Important addendum re the OP:
Just want to be clear that the onus of GATHERING the relevant links for the OP should not NOT fall on the mods, who already work so hard for our benefit.​

If the person who starts a new event thread does not include relevant links at the outset (for whatever reason -- maybe they are not available at the time of the first post), one of us "rank-and-file" ;) members should provide them in one or more subsequent posts.
Then and only then would I ask the mods to copy and paste the relevant links into the OP from posts further down in the thread. (In the past, the mods sometimes "magically" have done so already. Thank you, mods. :bow:)
I feel strongly that the mods should not have to go looking further afield for the relevant links.

Of course. Nobody is expecting mods to do all that extra work on top of what they have to do already and I'm sorry if that's how my comment came across. All I meant was that it would be great if mods could edit in the result links, starting orders, etc. into the original post, from one of the posts further down, if they have the time.

Uniformity is good, but please do not use apostrophes, colons, commas, or other punctuation in your titles. Punctuation interacts with vBulletin to make some pages completely inaccessible until the name of the thread is changed.

Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of that. Sorry for breaking the forum. ;P