2014 Olympics Pairs Free Skate | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Pairs Free Skate

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
So excited to get to see this event at last. I'm sorry it doesn't look as if we'll get to see Zhang/Bartholomay, though. They're so refreshing. Maybe they slipped them in earlier, in between speed skaters? I dozed off a bit and missed about half an hour.

I've had it on since 8. They didn't show them.

Isnt she married to stanislav morozov?

Nope.

Angryyew

Rinkside
It doesn't do non-cable/sat subscribers any good, but I'm loving the NBCSN coverage, though I wish it was in HD. they do seem to hold some events back for prime time....like the half pipe finals, men's downhill etc, but it's nice to be able to see a lot more of a lot of events without having to watch online.

It's always annoying when your fav events get glossed over and NBC coverage is certainly USAcentric on what they choose to show, but they do have to condense a whole days worth of events into 3 - 4 hours minus commercial breaks and pairs is probably the very least popular figure skating event in the US. a good number of the few events they broadcast on regular NBC before the Olympics didn't show the pairs at all and only showed Davis & White for ice dance.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
It doesn't do non-cable/sat subscribers any good, but I'm loving the NBCSN coverage, though I wish it was in HD. they do seem to hold some events back for prime time....like the half pipe finals, men's downhill etc, but it's nice to be able to see a lot more of a lot of events without having to watch online.

It's always annoying when your fav events get glossed over and NBC coverage is certainly USAcentric on what they choose to show, but they do have to condense a whole days worth of events into 3 - 4 hours minus commercial breaks and pairs is probably the very least popular figure skating event in the US. a good number of the few events they broadcast on regular NBC before the Olympics didn't show the pairs at all and only showed Davis & White for ice dance.

Oh, I streamed the entire event earlier today. I just wanted to see Z/B again because they're awesome.

ARipp42014

Medalist

NBCSN aired everything in its entirety earlier. They are doing that for all the skating events. I'm only watching tonight because I missed the final flight.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
NBC not showing Z/B in primetime is pretty pathetic. But they've always seem to not give a hoot about pairs skating. I'm sure they'll do better for singles and dance (b/c of D/W).

I'm shocked that they're only showing a grand total of 5 programs in primetime. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if they cut P/T since they didn't win a medal. It'd be hard to not show the bronze medalists, right?)

I'm still annoyed at NBC for hyping 2010 pairs skating by saying it was a showdown between the Chinese and the Russians. Totally ignoring who the world champs at the time were. (Then again S/S were having a really bad year in 2010.)

Gotta remember to just be grateful for the NBC Sports channel, though it'd be nice if the casual viewers got some more pairs exposure.

Tesla

Final Flight
I have to say, V/T were incredible. I'm happy they were able to withstand the immense pressure.

The NBC coverage sucks. I thought they would show more than five pairs (I hope they show P/T).

ARipp42014

Medalist
I'm loving Trankov's dramatic end. :eek: He is larger than life, and I love it! :love:

Now that I watched it, I am very happy for them. Considering in Vancouver, both finished 7th and 8th with different partners (Stan retired and now their assistant coach, no comment about Maria). It was meant to be!

And Pang and Tong.... :love::cry:

Tesla

Final Flight
I'm going to miss P/T. That was lovely but not as magical as four years ago. I get the feeling that they're tired and will be happy to retire. I'm so happy they have an Olympic silver and two World gold medals.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I thought the way Scott Hamilton talked about V/T's middle "stand around in the center of the ice for a while after the pair spin" part as "choreographically quiet" was a remarkable turn of phrase to describe a resting period without choreography.

Sandra thought it was "an impossibly difficult performance." I don't know if that was some grandiose hype or if she's really that stupid. It was very well performed but "impossibly difficult?" Unless she's buying into the "it's really hard to skate in front of your countryman" stuff. There were plenty of technically more difficult programs.

Thank god they showed P/T!

Tesla

Final Flight
Aliona looks like a ghost.

Aw. I'm going to miss S/S, too. I'm all right with them winning bronze. I wish it could've been gold.

ARipp42014

Medalist
:cry::cry::cry:

I want to give Ali and Robin the biggest hug!

They just showed an actual kiss between Max and Tanya! :agree: She's still with Stan, right?

boo69

Rinkside
I have to say, V/T were incredible. I'm happy they were able to withstand the immense pressure.

The NBC coverage sucks. I thought they would show more than five pairs (I hope they show P/T).

Maybe since there are several new sports, this means that there is less coverage for each sport?

Though it was heartbreaking to watch Aliona and Robin, there was something uplifting about their performance as well. After Robin fell, they both had to know that they didn't have a chance at gold or maybe even silver, but they kept going and gave it their all. And then they attempted the throw triple axel! What strength of character. They were true to themselves and to skating.

At the other end of the spectrum emotionally was that exquisite, almost intimate program by Pang and Tong. The way they looked at each other, and how they expressed the music, drew my eyes to their every move. Medal or no medal, their performance was superb.

The precision and charisma of Stolbova & Klimov was a delightful surprise. They really carried through the performance aspect of the music, conveying the affectionate relationship of Morticia and Gomez Addams beautifully with their entire bodies. One thing that impressed me was how close they are in height. Though this similarity increases the effectiveness of their unison, Klimov must be astonishingly strong to do those innovative lifts.

A splendid top four.

Vash01

Medalist

I have been waiting since 7 pm. Now, just before 9 pm they started showing FS, with Castelli & Shnapir's LP. For two hours they showed other sports non-stop. NBC's evening coverage sucks. Fortunately I have NBCSN, so I watch FS live (or record when I cannot). I still like to watch it in the evening though, but waiting for it to start for 2 hours is ridiculous. Last night they didn't even show Stolbova-Klimov's SP.

tulosai

Record Breaker
:cry::cry::cry:

I want to give Ali and Robin the biggest hug!

They just showed an actual kiss between Max and Tanya! :agree: She's still with Stan, right?

I am pretty sure Max/Tanya (V/T) are confirmed together and have been for a few years.